Start by marking “Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others” as Want to Read:
Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others

(Hellboy #11)

The world's greatest paranormal investigator takes on a carnivorous house, space aliens, a vampire luchador, a vengeful lion demon, and more in this collection featuring the work of comic greats Mike Mignola, Richard Corben, Kevin Nowlan, and Scott Hampton
Paperback, First Edition, 200 pages
Published October 5th 2011 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, Vol. 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy, Vol. 11

Chad
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Another fantastic short story collection. Buster Oakley Gets His Wish is a hilarious story of alien abduction and cattle mutilation done Hellboy style. Kevin Nowlan's art is phenomenal. The Hellboy in Mexico stories work quite well. Anytime Hellboy pals around with Lucha Libre is a good time. I also liked how Scott Hampton paints his vampire to look like Christopher Lee.
Artemy
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Birde of Hell and Others is a stand-alone collection of Hellboy short stories, and it’s a really good one! Most stories are really spooky, especially the ones illustrated by the brilliant Richard Corben. Still, there is enough humor and lighthearted silliness, like in the “Buster Oakley Gets His Wish”, a story about an alien abduction, of all things. Overall, it’s a great little collection, and especially fitting for the Halloween season. Its only downside is that, like volume 10, it’s place ...more
Sam Quixote
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Volume 11 of the Hellboy series is another compilation of one shots just like “Volume 10: The Crooked Man” and “the Amazing Screw-on Head”, so we don’t get a continuation of the “Wild Hunt” storyline from Volume 9 – that said, this is still an excellent compilation of Hellboy stories!

Included here is a story of Hellboy fighting vampires in Mexico with Lucha Libre wrestler sidekicks, a “double feature of evil” where Hellboy fights an evil house that eats people and in the second one deals with a
Tara
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
3.5 stars. I especially enjoyed Hellboy in Mexico and Buster Oakley Gets His Wish.
[Name Redacted]
A delightful mixture of the morbid and the absurd, this time containing a large number (seriously, one of the longer Hellboy volumes in recent memory!) of 1-shot stories from Hellboy's past, ranging from the early-to-mid 1950s down to the mid-to-late 1980s. Of particular interest are the encounters with: a family of demon-hunting Mexican wrestlers; the Knights of St. Hagan & a lonely demon in France; an incautious demonologist; and cattle mutilations in Kansas -- though one otherwise uninter ...more
Wing Kee
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Oh single issues collections you can be really good or just ok. Alas this time you are the later.

I like single issues I think that's one of the things that's missing from modern comics, everyone is writing for the trade and a 5-7 issue arc is the best format. So how does this collection fare?

World: The art here is honestly a mixed bag, there are some stories which are moody and creepy like the Mexico and Vampire tale, then there is the boringness of the Alien story. The art is aight. The world
Melissa McShane
Another good collection of stories, four stars because I'm almost never satisfied with anthologies and because Mexican wrestlers creep me out. I don't know why, they just do. Probably my favorite here is "The Sleeping and the Dead," which is a fantastic vampire story with some interesting twists. I also like "The Bride of Hell" for its ending--not at all what I think the history of such stories leads us to expect. This was a welcome break from the main Hellboy story, which has become extremely i ...more
Orrin Grey
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola
I've been waiting for this one, and I'm well rewarded, because it is massive. Literally six full-length issues and an eight-page short. Sadly, only the aforementioned short is drawn by Mignola, but with the news that he's going to be returning to regular art duties soon, I suppose we can persevere.

Of the six stories contained herein, three are drawn by Richard Corben, one (as mentioned) by Mignola, one by Kevin Nowlan, and one (that's two issues long) by Scott Hampton. All are written by Mignola
A.j. Garner
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am starting to get used to the fact these are just collections and not always telling a story arch.

Having said that, I still like these stories. The first story is incredible. I enjoy the thought of Hellboy with some Luchadors killing things. The other stories were pretty interesting and fun, but I want the main course or more Lucha!
Cassie-la
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/10...

In this volume detailing the adventures of Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (BPRD) agent, Hellboy, big red goes on the hunt for cursed houses, crazed Egyptian pharaohs, devious vampires, and probing aliens. This collection of one shots and mini-series tackles every paranormal beastie a demon could hope for.

This volume opens with a hilarious tale of Hellboy and five lost months spent drinking Tequila, wrestling, and hanging out wit
Michael
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the most mixed bag, for me, out of all of the Hellboy short story compilations. Some of the stories, such as "Hellboy in Mexico", "The Sleeping and the Dead", and "The Whittier Legacy", are enjoyable entries into Hellboy's personal history roaming the world and ridding various places of evil supernatural threats. I even like "Double Feature of Evil", which is exactly what it sounds like, a double story entry with art by Richard Corben (who also did the Mexico story), featuring some very ...more
J.G. Keely
One more, I'm having trouble getting into Corben's art. Some of it is great, and I love the EC vibe, but it's making me nostalgic in the wrong way: instead of thinking 'this is a great homage to the EC classics' I start feeling like I should just put Hellboy down and read the real thing. Some of Corben's character and backgrounds are great: expressive, detailed, idiomatic. But there are also a lot of little details that throw me off. Some of the exaggeration on the characters lacks a sense of sh ...more
Dani Shuping
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
ARC provided by netGalley

“Hellboy Volume 11: The Bride of Hell and Others” is a collection of short one off comics that give the Hellboy cannon more depth and introduce us to some...interesting aspects of Hellboy’s past. For example we discover that Hellboy spent some time in Mexico, in “Hellboy in Mexico.” We also get a double feature (just like the classic horror movies) when a man calls the BRPD and says he’s been killing people, but he’s convinced its the house making him (which frankly is m
kaelan
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
Hellboy has always had a pulpy dimension—you only need to look at Lobster Johnson or Herman von Klempt to detect Mignola's affinity for retro-inspired camp. Usually, however, this fails to detract from the sense of mythos and horror that makes the series so engaging.

That is, until now.

Sadly, The Bride of Hell and Others finds Mignola breaching the line between campiness and kitsch. Whether it's Hellboy duking it out with a demonic lucha libre wrestler, or defending himself against an extraterr
Mel
I do like how Hellboy has moved away from simple fight stories into all sorts of folklore. There are some punch ups, but overall things don't simply get solved with fist fights any more. While this as a collection of short stories rather than one long continuous tale I really enjoyed it. There was Hellboy and Mexican wrestlers in what was quite a sad tale, there were vampire children and worse, everything had a wonderful reinvention of folklore tale, down to the very modern idea of cattle mutila ...more
Alan
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I like the Hellboy collections that are short stories instead of the ones that into the larger story arc. The shorts let writer/creator Mike Mignola team up with different artists and explore other fables and horror mythologies. Mignola also gets to jump around to different time periods in Hellboy's career. We see Hellboy join Mexican masked wrestlers to battle monsters and vampires in 1950s Mexico. Another tale dips into horror and alien abductions, and Mgnola manages a very sympathet ...more
Brooke
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice set of one-shot stories again, I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Hellboy: The Crooked Man and Others. I'm definitely a short-story fan, but Hellboy seems to have more one-offs than any other comic book series that I follow. I'm not even sure that I can remember what was going on the last time there was a main story-arc volume.
Andy
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Picked this up while helping our kids look for books at a local library and was immediately drawn in. Good mix of darkness and camp although some of the humor felt clunky. I had heard about the Hellboy franchise so was curious; also knew that Mignola was influenced by Lovecraft. Will definitely read others. Probably would help to read in chronological order but such is library reading.
Sesana
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
These short stories are a lot of fun, but I'll be happy to get back to the main storyline last seen a few volumes ago. I might be annoyed, if the stories weren't so good. They're pulpy, in a good way, and very fun to read. I wasn't particularly taken by the last story, but I loved everything else in this collection.
Brendan
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another mixed novel that served the core storyline, I really enjoyed the storylines here and was amazed by the depth. I'm not eager to end the series so I'm kicking of with a few of the spinoffs while finishing Fables too. This is up in my favorites Y the last man is there and Watchmen of course. This lays some of the ground work for an epic conclusion.
Jani
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hellboy is always a delight and this collection was no exception. Book is colection of short stories written by Mike Mignola drawn by different artists. Even with multiple styles of working the mood of Hellboy is captured rather nicely in each of the stories. Guaranteed entertainment for fans of MM and HB.
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I was expecting a little bit more in the way of plot advancement for this one, but it was another collection of random shorts. Not to say that these were not fabulous random pieces, because they were all awesome.

It was especially nice to see a segment that Mignola drew, because I've missed his art. I also really liked Scott Hampton's art for "The Sleeping and the Dead". Really lovely work.
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Matt
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hellboy
I always love the Hellboy short story collections, and this one's no exception. I especially loved the titular story, The Bride of Hell, along with the luchador story and the Double Feature of Evil (mummies!!!!!). Good stuff.
Gina
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was a twist, but it wasn't as satisfying. I think some of that may have been the portrayal of the Bride's clothing and her character. There is a long tradition of sexism in comics and this could have been worse, but it felt like it wasn't really rising above the pack this time.
Andrew
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Every story here is top-notch, with fun twists, great artwork, and a perfect mix of humor, scares, and interesting morality plays. The level of consistency and quality control that Mignola has established in this series and its spin-offs is completely staggering to me.
Michael Bacon
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
As good as the rest of them, more or less. A little less, owing to it being a short story collection, which is difficult when graphic novel stories are already short by nature.
Brandon St Mark
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.75
Dan
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A solid collection of Hellboy miscellany.
Adam Stone
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hellboy-universe
So far, this is my least favorite of The Hellboy books. It starts off well enough with one of the Hellboy in Mexico stories, but it's all downhill from there, so you should probably just buy the Hellboy In Mexico trade and skip this one entirely.

Once again the book is a collection of stories, six of them this time, with no narrative connection other than Hellboy is in them.

What makes this stand out to me as The Worst Hellboy collection is the final story, Buster Oakley Gets His Wish, which tries
  • Hellboy: The Bones of Giants
  • Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound (The Sixth Gun, #3)
  • House of Mystery, Volume 6: Safe as Houses
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • Hellboy: The Fire Wolves
  • Northlanders, Vol. 5: Metal and Other Stories
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Conan, Vol. 8: Black Colossus
  • Revival, Vol. 6: Thy Loyal Sons & Daughters
  • Hellboy: On Earth as it is in Hell
  • The Strange Talent of Luther Strode
  • Conan, Vol. 2: The God in the Bowl and Other Stories
  • Dial H, Vol. 1: Into You
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction