Start by marking “The Cypress Tree: A Love Letter to Iran” as Want to Read:
The Cypress Tree: A Love Letter to Iran

The Cypress Tree: A Love Letter to Iran

Kamin Mohammadi was nine years old when her family fled Iran during the 1979 Revolution. Bewildered by the seismic changes in her homeland, she turned her back on the past and spent her teenage years trying to fit in with British attitudes to family, food and freedom. She was twenty-seven before she returned to Iran, drawn inexorably back by memories of her grandmother's h ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury UK

To ask other readers questions about The Cypress Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cypress Tree

Margitte
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Since I would never visit most of the world, nor meet the people, my method of addressing the dream is to read books about the places. It is for this reason that I bought The Cypress Tree. It is a memoir. Yes. Very important. It is not a suspense thriller.

Memoirs, as we know, do not sweep us up into wonderland, speeding us into high octane, high speed actions or screaming adventures, totally disconnected from reality. Instead, memoirs is more often reality with the spotlight switch on, in such
Toni
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I actually paused this book after a few chapters and came back to it a few months later and I wish I read it sooner. Kamin transports you to a world that is exotic and beautiful and rich with culture. She takes you on her journey that is filled with heartache and longing and every page I turned made me yearn for my own motherland.
Rusalka
I will preface this post by saying I did check all the screws on my chair before starting.

I thought this book was a novel. It's not. It was a bit of a disappointment. Not the book as a whole. Just when you settle down to read a story and you know, you have a doona and a glass of wine and you've suspended your disbelief and are ready to be transported. Then 10 pages in you just go "Well, fuck." I don't dislike memoirs. I just prepare for them differently to novels. And as I have read a few lately
Jan
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this insight into one sprawling Iranian family's experiences of twentieth century Iran. If anything it could have been more in depth- a lot of issues were skated over in a paragraph when I really wanted to know more. There were numerous contradictions- but I guess that was her point- and at times I got infuriated with her assumption that her family's interactions were a uniquely Iranian phenomenon (coming from a sprawling British family I saw a lot that was familiar). But a good read, an ...more
Paige
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-lives, poc
This is a really interesting and complex memoir-meets-history with a beautiful sense of place and lovely turns of phrase. Bear with this book: just when you think Mohammadi's glasses are a bit too rose-tinted, she brings things back to reality.

It's not perfect, but it's a far more nuanced take on Iran than this American's ever had, and I wish it were more widely available stateside.
Sportyrod
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: iran
A successful Irani family seeks refuge in England at the start of the 1979 Revolution. The perspective is of the daughter of the family who leaves her motherland at age 9, intergrates with the Brits then reconnects with her extended family in her adulthood.

The story is a combination of autobiography and history. Each place visited is given an historical summary before launching into the various family members living there - and there are many.

Several important human issues are explored - religi
Rune Clausen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful positive memoir of the authors family, from 2 generations back. Details her own flight from Iran along with her parents right after the revolution in 1979, ending up in the UK, where the author decided to reject her iranian identiy for years, while accustoming to her new british life. The author then goes on to go back to Iran in the late 90's, and again regains the iranian identity and falls in love with Iran and its people.

Its a very affirming memoir, showing all the bright sides o
Alice
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting perspective on the Iranian revolution and what happened to both those who left (and lived in exile in the west) and those who stayed. The author has a very nostalgic view of the Shah's Iran, she admits the flaws, but her family was unusually wealthy and successful - so she has a memory of carefree, wonderful days that probably are far from the day to day toil of the average pre-revolutionary Iranian. By going back she is able to challenge her nostalgic memories and understand toda ...more
Alicia
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
An interesting perspective on the Iranian revolution, the events leading up to it and the effect it had on people's lives. However, I struggled with the first half of the book as there were too many relatives and moving around from city to city and I had to keep flipping back to the front which had a map of Iran and a sort of family tree. If it weren't for that I would have lost interest.

I did enjoy the second half of the book when the author returns to Iran after many years of exile. Her perspe
Louise Davy
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Louise by: Found on the bookshop shelf
Shelves: non-fiction
A really interesting insight of an adult's reflection on being a refugee, aged nine, from Iran during the 1979 revolution. The author moves backwards and forwards in time. Adequately written, and very moving, but not lyrical writing.
Saturday's Child
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not only just an insight into Iran this book is also a story of families and their lives before, during and after the Revolution.
Eva
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful...I had to force myself to stop reading so I can cherish every moment of reading this beautiful story!
Alessandro Argenti
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iran
La storia dell'Iran pre e post rivoluzione, attraverso le vicende personali dell'autrice. Ma sinceramente non ci sono emozioni, manca qualsiasi interesse nel leggere questo libro perché tutto questo è già stato scritto e riscritto. Speravo magari in qualche colpo di scena, qualche episodio significativo, qualsiasi cosa che facesse decollare il racconto, invece è pieno zeppo di personaggi (tre generazioni della sua famiglia) e tutto ciò non fa che confondere: si fa fatica a capire persino chi è c ...more
Alice Le gall
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to Iranian history and culture, told through the lifestories of the author's family members and ancestors. The book takes you through 20th century Iran, from the oil boom to the shah's glory years and later downfall, up until the 2000s - in a very personal, lively and colourful description of the country and its people.
Mark Renaud
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely insight into Iran and its history, struggles, challenges and beauty. Also a heartwarming story of a family that negotiates its way through this history!! Enjoyed this read!
Subiya Fatima
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most poignant books. Gives a great insight into the Iranian revolution and politics. Beautifully brings out the vulnerability and strength in a family at the same time.
Katherine Kreuter
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was interesting in places, but it was not well structured which rather harmed the enjoyment. The opening section reads too much like something from the Iranian tourist board. When you get into her family dynamics, the story of the two very different histories of her mother and father are quite interesting. But in places the writer gets off track and the narrative moves back and forth so it's hard to know where you are. I will remember many lovely snippets from the book, e.g. the ladies in f ...more
Eddy Hendriksen
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best description of life in Iran that I have read. This is essentially a biography of it's UK/Iranian author. It has a particular focus in that it details how she came to understand and fall in love with her Persian identity after first rejecting it for many years as a child in the UK. I loved her writing style and her descriptions of life in Iran pre and post revolution left me wanting to visit this beautiful country again.
Ravi Abhyankar
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Mohammadi, Kamin. The Cypress Tree, Bloomsbury, London, 2011 (Pages 288, paperback)

Rating: 1/10

I have always enjoyed Iranian films. The newspapers create one image of Iran, and the Iranian films create another. When my book club suggested we read a book written by an Iranian woman, I looked forward to it. To truly enjoy a book (or a film for that matter), I like to know as little as possible. I don’t read the back cover, don’t read the reviews. Let the novel unfold itself to me through its pages
Janelle
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I previewed this as a potential book for Gettysburg College's Syria & Iran: Beyond the Headlines series, to be held in 2014-015. There will be one book discussion each semester (in addition to lectures and film screenings). The series is a continuation of Conflict & Resistance in the Middle East, held during the 2011-12 academic year.

I didn't finish this book because it didn't seem appropriate for our series. The author focused a little too much on Iran's "glory days" under Cyrus the Gre
Jill
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A memoir of a family coping with the tragic events facing the people of Iran told by a young woman whose family fled Iran after the Islamic Revolution. As an adult she returns to Iran to reconnect with her extended family. But the Persian/Iranian diaspora has scattered her family all over the world. A moving story but sometimes difficult to follow the convoluted family relationships. The list of characters at the end would have been better as a family tree at the beginning and the addition of a ...more
Slawka Scarso
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iran
Sia ben chiaro, non si tratta di un romanzo ma del racconto di una storia vera. La storia recente dell'Iran vista attraverso il racconto di una famiglia kurda-iraniana. Una narrazione affascinante, scorrevole e al tempo stesso piena di pathos, di carattere. Il carattere iraniano rappresentato dalla metafora del cipresso, albero originario dell'Iran, che si piega ma non si spezza.
C'è solo da chiedersi per quale motivo abbiano tradotto il titolo "The cypress tree", in Mille farfalle nel sole, quan
Kym Hamer
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: expat-adventures
This is a wonderful read and a real insight into a culture I had previously given little thought to. We often read expat stories about those who choose to emigrate (even as a 'trailing spouse' so to speak) but imagine the heartbreak of being forced to leave, to feel that your new culture contravenes the old one and that, as a result, you have to wear two faces. A must read.
Ricardo Ribeiro
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: assorted
I felt the book fell in personal grounds too often and too deeply. I understand it had to be personal, but it was far too much and far behind reason. Overall I liked to absorb subtly the History of Iran through the memories of the author but didn't like so much to go through dozens of pages describing relatives and so.
Elisha
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. So beautifully written and very informative.
Hangi Tav
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
it was too personal. I mean too much!
Lakshmi Kurup
one of the best memoirs i have read!
Mort Shahmir
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful.
Chandni
rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Cairo: My City, Our Revolution
  • Forbidden Lessons in a Kabul Guesthouse: The True Story of a Woman Who Risked Everything to Bring Hope to Afghanistan
  • Late for Tea at the Deer Palace: The Lost Dreams of My Iraqi Family
  • Doing Psychoanalysis in Tehran
  • On the State of Egypt: A Novelistas Provocative Reflections
  • A Thousand Sighs, A Thousand Revolts: Journeys in Kurdistan
  • The Golden Cage: Three Brothers, Three Choices, One Destiny
  • The Madman of Freedom Square
  • Jasmine and Stars: Reading More Than Lolita in Tehran
  • Dear Zari: The Secret Lives of the Women of Afghanistan
  • Wanted Women: Faith, Lies, and the War on Terror: The Lives of Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Aafia Siddiqui
  • Palestinian Walks: Forays into a Vanishing Landscape
  • Letters to My Torturer: Love, Revolution, and Imprisonment in Iran
  • Heaven On Earth: A Journey Through Shari'a Law from the Deserts of Ancient Arabia to the Streets of the Modern Muslim World
  • Opening Pandora's Box: Phrases We Borrowed from the Classics and the Stories Behind Them
  • Faisal I of Iraq