Start by marking “America Is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell” as Want to Read:
America Is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell

America Is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell

One of School Library Journal's Best Nonfiction Books of 2011
One of Horn Book's Best Nonfiction Books of 2011

On the ten year anniversary of the September 11 tragedy, a straightforward and sensitive book for a generation of readers too young to remember that terrible day.

The events of September 11, 2001 changed the world forever. In the fourth installment of
Published August 16th 2011 by Flash Point

Jenny
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was engaging and informational and included stories of real individuals which made it more relatable than just relating the facts. My 9 year old asked lots of questions and was very engaged in the story. It made me emotional in several places as I read and remembered the events of that day.
Cathy
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it

How does a country deal with tragedy? How do parents and teachers explain unfathomable events to children? Following the terrorist attacks of September 11, many adults attempted to shield children from seeing the images of the planes flying into the towers. We turned off the news when footage was broadcast, and we avoided discussing the events in the presence of our kids. The country was on edge, and we didn't want to scare our children.

Literature is an effective way t
Nicole
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yikes. Obviously, America is Under Attack touches upon some very scary, and very real, situations surrounding the 9-11 attacks. It was pretty hard to read, even though this is a simplified and more "friendly" recount of the tragedy, meant for children.

I have not read any other books from Brown's "Actual Times" series about historical events, but I did think this was a good way to tell the story of September 11th -- the tragedy of it, the heroes that sacrificed their own lives to save complete strange
Luann
This was painful to read even now. I would have a tough time reading this aloud to a group of students without becoming emotional, but I think Brown did a really nice job of covering the events in a student-friendly way. His illustrations were also VERY well-done. I liked that he focused on stories of several individuals. Reading this made me want to find and read other books in the "Actual Times" series.

This was a Grand Canyon Reader Award nominee for 2015.
Donalyn
An excellent account of the events immediately before, during, and after the September 11th terrorist attack on the US. Don Brown weaves together factual information and people's first hand accounts into a powerful narrative for younger readers.

A concise first look at the events on that terrible day.
Edward Sullivan
An excellent chronicle of the tragic day for readers too young to remember or not yet born. I especially like the focus on individual victims and survivors. Vivid, emotional and powerful.
Erin Buhr
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Straight forward and honest, this is a great book to share with kids learning about what happened on 9/11.
Kim
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking but tame enough to read to kids/for kids to read themselves. I can still feel my heart drop when I remember seeing the Twin Towers fall. My history.
Rachel Bormann
Audience: primary

Genre: America is Under Attack fits is part of the nonfiction genre. It depicts the tragic events and informs readers about the terrorist attack that occurred on September 11, 2001.

Award: School Library Journal Best Nonfiction: 2011

Summary:
America is Under Attack is intended to provide young readers with an understanding of the terrorist attacks that have greatly impacted the United States. The events that transpired on September 11, 200
Renee Doucette
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reading
This short picture book tells the story of the attacks on September 11th. Because we've made it to a time when our young people don't understand what happened that day, books like this are essential. The illustrations are watercolor and line drawings, nothing too drastic for young readers. There's obviously more to share about 9/11 but this book is a good start for children.
538 PM Jeremy Kossak
America Under Attack is a powerful retelling of the events of the terrorist attacks that took place that fateful morning of September 11th, 2001. Even today, the terrorist attacks on New York are not easy to discuss. I was shocked and amazed at what this book accomplished in 64 pages. This book is intended for the elementary grades, however middle school students can also learn a lot about this day. Readers will also understand the feeling of great loss and sacrifice endured by the victims of this att ...more
Milena
Jan 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book does not inform children about the whole political issues around the violence between United States and the Middle East. What is more, it portrays Al Qaeda agents as "deadly" hijackers who are madly hateful for no special reason. To me, the most shocking phrase in the book is this one: "among their ordinary passengers were nineteen deadly men. They were followers of Osama Bin Laden, leader of an organization known as Al-Qaeda. The group hated America's power and influence." Hopefully s ...more
Heather Pool
This book can be for anyone and for grades third through fifth. The audience is really for anyone. This book is a story about the world trade centers and the pentagon on 9/11. It was very factual but also had somewhat of a story. For example, it introduced a few characters (real people) and what happened to them but mostly the book was about what happened that day and why it is important. I thought this book was very factual on what happened and I actually learned a few things in the process! I ...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a good book for educating children (ages 9 through 13) about what happened on 9/11. Its strengths are telling the stories of specific individuals, including many of the rescuers, and the lovely watercolor paintings.

Some background is definitely given, so some of the big picture does come across. But, I’d say this book should not be the only book used to learn about the events that took place on 9/11. There are a lot of statistics given though, lots of numbers.

Alternately hea
Megan Wismer
Audience: 3rd-6th Grade
Genre: Non fiction
Blooms Questions:
Remembering- Can you tell me three events that happened on September 11, 2001?
Understanding- Describe what people realized after the second plane hit?
Applying- What questions would you ask if you could question one of the passengers in the 4th plane, that crashed into the Pennsylvania field?
Analyzing- How would you compare the firefighters attitude and outlook going up the starts to the office workers going down?
Evaluating- Justify the rescue workers actions in this story. (their actions of going up/>/>/>/>/>/>Blooms/>
Heidi
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
At the tenth anniversary of September 11, the question arises, how do we talk to children about what happened that day. The children I work with weren't even born when it happened. How do we help students understand the event without giving more detail than is appropriate. Don Brown has answered that question beautifully. He gives the basic string of events, but he also humanizes the story by quoting and telling the experiences of some of those who were there that day. The illustrations provide ...more
Joan
This was remarkable. Of course, for adults at least, it is a review of events none of us will forget. But this is written for children who are too young to remember 9/11. Without any sensationalism, remarkable in itself, it simply but not simplistically tells what happened that day. The pictures are dramatic, but again, not sensational. The two, text and illustration, work together perfectly. This got lots of talk when first published and was by far the best of the 9/11 books I found for childre ...more
Brandi Smith
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This nonfiction picturebook was recognized as one of The School Library Journal's Best Nonfiction Books of 2011. It chronicles the events that took plae on the morning of September 11,2001. The target audience for this book is children 8-12 years old(I).
I gave this book 4 stars. The author recounts the events of 9/11 in a way that is serious but not intimidating. He gives just the right amount of detail to inform the young reader without making him fearful. The color palette used in the il
Beth
I had to take a break from reading this because it affected me so much. I wonder how kids reading this will feel. The students I teach are not old enough to remember this day and soon, I will be teaching students who won't have been alive on this day.

This moving account of that fateful day in September weaves between matter-of-fact prose and emotional, personal stories of survivors and those who perished. The one thing I would have liked was to tell some personal stories of the people who storm
Michele Knott
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to give to children to understand the events of 9.11. The book explains the events well, and does not leave out some of the darkest moments. Young readers may need an adult to help guide and discuss with them as they read, while older readers will need less guidance. A hard book to read about a very important day in our history. Don Brown, as usual, does a great job including his notes, sources and quotes.
Adrienne Pettinelli
This is the book about 9/11 that my library's needed all these years--straightforward, factual, sensitive, and including the stories of actual people. This will be a useful and important book for kids for a long time to come.
Stephen
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Don Brown is my favorite juvenile history author.
Amy
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Don Brown is the best!
katsok
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up to share with my 5th graders who weren't even born on 9/11. Very accessible for them.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I had shivers reading this story and remembering that morning.
Montana
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom
Even though this book is a simplified version of the attacks on September 11 and meant for children it is a great account of the events that occurred. Having the story written in third person allowed for the reader to get to know many different characters in multiple locations throughout the story. I really liked that it mentioned the names of actual people, their relevance in the story (employee, firefighter, police, etc.), and their relationships (the firefighter brothers). As a future teacher ...more
McKenzie English
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book goes through the events that took place during 9/11. The book starts out in the morning and how everything seemed to be a "normal" day. Then how within seconds America was turned upside down and the hours to follow.

I loved this book because I love history. It is weird to think that something I remember and could tell you all the little details about where I was are vividly in my brain and people that are just a few years younger than me do not remember it.

I would use this as a histor
Mackenzie Meyer
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book displays watercolor painted pictures. These help the kids visualize the events that happened on September 11.

Don Brown wrote America is Under Attack: The Day the Towers Fell for the ten year anniversary of 9/11. The book starts at the very beginning of the day. It tells of how the planes were hijacked and went through the two towers. It tells about the pentagon and the events that followed. The book showcases the men and women that died to save others lives.

I feel this boo
Nikki Glassley
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oof. I'm not sure I can fairly judge this one as a book for a children. As a former child who remembers 9/11 clearly, my life is split into my pre-9/11 memories and my post-9/11 memories, which makes 9/11 books a very different animal for me than for kids who see 9/11 the same way they see World War II- as a historical event. 9/11 is a living event for me; I see the impacts of 9/11 every day, especially during this current administration which feeds on the fear of everyday Americans.

This is uno
Eddy
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think that it was really sad because 2,793 peopled died because some were trying to help other people inside of the building and the people that were inside of the plane. Then the book said that they couldn't breath because the smoke. Then the police and the firefighter officers because they went to help out the other people that were on the building, and on the plane because I don't think the plane didn't go through the building. Then I notice that there were two planes and that they both cra ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Info on the book 1 2 Apr 19, 2014 09:24AM

• Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud
  • Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story
  • Time to Eat
  • The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Feed Families
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems
  • Titanic Sinks!: Experience the Titanic's Doomed Voyage in this Unique Presentation of Fact and Fiction
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • Music Was IT: Young Leonard Bernstein
  • Energy Island: How One Community Harnessed the Wind and Changed Their World
  • Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey
  • The Camping Trip That Changed America: Theodore Roosevelt, John Muir, and Our National Parks
  • So Far from the Sea
  • 14 Cows for America
  • Underground: Finding the Light to Freedom
  • Lizards

Don Brown is the award-winning author and illustrator of many picture book biographies. He has been widely praised for his resonant storytelling and his delicate watercolor paintings that evoke the excitement, humor, pain, and joy of lives lived with passion. School Library Journal has called him "a current pacesett