Start by marking “The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers” as Want to Read:
The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers

The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers

Programmers who endure and succeed amidst swirling uncertainty and nonstop pressure share a common attribute: They care deeply about the practice of creating software. They treat it as a craft. They are professionals. In The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers, legendary software expert Robert C. Martin introduces the disciplines, techniques, ...more
Published May 23rd 2011 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Clean Coder, please sign up.
Marius The Clean Coder refers to the behaviour and discipline in being a programmer and working in a team; making estimations for your tasks, and how to be a…moreThe Clean Coder refers to the behaviour and discipline in being a programmer and working in a team; making estimations for your tasks, and how to be a professional in the field.

Clean Code refers strictly to how the code should be written / tested / divided in submodules, etc... It gives you examples, patterns and techniques on how to write modular and beautiful code that anyone can understand and easily change. (less)

Start your review of The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
Nikolay
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uncle Bob is again extreme and depicts a person, who is our asymptotical goal, not something anybody can achieve.

The super-human (a.k.a. The Clean Coder) is always responsible for her actions, can say No even in the toughest times and to the toughest managers and clients, sleeps at least 7 hours per day, spends 20 hours per week for her personal professional development, regularly does programming kata, does TDD 100% of the time, doesn't write features unless there are acceptance tests, doesn't
Sergey Teplyakov
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
There is a tons of similar books in the market. The most remarkable one is "Pragmatic Programmer" by Andy Hunt and Dave Thomas. Both books cover pretty similar set of topics -from design aspects to some specific practices. The main difference between them that "pragmatic programmer" covers broader set of topics and with much more depth.

I see few issues with "The Clean Coder":

1. Tons of useless stories from authors' personal life.
In most cases they're not that relevant to chapters' topic and
Josh Hamacher
I tend to read at least one of these "how to be a more professional programmer" books every year. Historically they haven't impressed me. This one was the rare exception - it really spoke to me, for some reason.

Nothing in this book is truly new or unique. But Martin raised a lot of really good points and some things that I had never really put much thought into in the past all of a sudden clicked for me.

I guess it really boils down to presentation - Martin (for the most part) presented "the same
Richard
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Mostly this book is pretty good. It's a series of anecdotes from the author's lifetime of working in the software industry. They are reminiscent of things you might see on thedailywtf, but they are followed up with an explanation of what the correct response to each situation would be. This actually makes the book more readable than the previous one in the series, which was much more technical. It also makes it rather harder to apply to one's own life. It's not just a matter of running down a ...more
Benjamin
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Review: The Clean Coder – and why I don‘t like it

Robert C. Martin as an author is probably most known for “Clean Code“
which is nowadays seen as a must-read for new colleagues.

His book “The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers” from 2011 looks at another perspective of today’s coding and tries to teach “what it means to behave as a true software craftsman”. In my own words: the social aspects of the daily work of a programmer.

What I like about the book

The real life stories
Amani
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Chapeau Robert Martin!!

Amazing. Clicked me. It is really fantastic to find yourself saying "Yea, exactly. This is what I was searching for." with every single line you read.

I consider this book the complement or the other face of Clean Code book. Clean code handles the technical side and this one handles the personal one. You need to read them both!

The part I appreciated the most is Practicing and Estimation. Estimation is indeed not an easy task at all. I have faced many hard situations in
Igal Tabachnik
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
In popular culture, computer programmers, sometimes confused with sysadmins, are often described as teenage punks, sitting in a dark, lit only by the glow of their monitor, empty cartons of pizza and Mountain Dew bottles scattered strategically around, frantically hacking away on their keyboard.

What does it mean to be a professional programmer? Is it wearing a suit and tie to work? Is it having certifications or diplomas decorating the walls of your office? Is it working hard, sometimes
Alejandro Teruel
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computación, acm
Robert C. Martin (1952- ) has been programming professionally since 1970 but started making his mark as an exceptional software engineering practitioner and consultant once he started developing object-oriented software in the 1980s and later when he was amongst the Agile Manifesto signatories (2001), distilled part of his design experience into the five well-known SOLID principles (2003) and co-developed the acceptance testing framework FitNesse. He is also a much sought after and forceful ...more
Nagham Al Halabi
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well this book is a must read for all developers who aim to be professionals and not just technicians.
It's not a technical book, it's a simple easy read explaining the topics with real life examples. I loved the chapter that defines estimation from different sides ("Business likes to view estimates as commitments. Developers like to view estimates as guesses"). I also liked the chapter that discusses dealing with pressure and how a person should rely on his disciplines in such cases. Uncle Bob
Aurelian
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: wanna be professional programmers
Shelves: coding, programming
4.3/5 This should be mandatory read for everyone looking to level up their programmer craftsmanship.
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Yes, "The Clean Coder" is a sequel to Uncle Bob's "Clean Code." This is a great book and drills what being a professional developer really means as delivered by a well respected source.

The book is very readable and contains advice mixed with stories from the author's past and dialog. I like the use of dialog to show communication issues like saying "done" or over committing. Even the foreword was a story.

I think there was too much repetition of the stories across chapters. Almost like the
mojtaba kamyabi
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good book specially chapter 7 is great (estimate the timing for projects)
Damian
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The Clean Coder

Another Robert C.Martin book ! I was waiting for it. I remember when I got
The Clean Code, which is one of my favourite books. I learned a lot from it
and it's on my desk since I bought it.

I though The Clean Coder will be similar. Unfortunately I have mixed feelings about it.
First of all it's not technical book. You won't get any technical value from it.
It's all about soft skills and how to stay insane in coding environment.
Yes, it can be rough sometimes ;)

Second, I think this book
Rajiv Moté
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Defining Professionalism In Software Development

This is a programming book, but not about algorithms, data structures, or patterns. It's a precise definition of professionalism in the software field, a set of practices and attitudes that separate a professional programmer from the larger pool of "people who code." In typical Uncle Bob fashion, it's opinionated, resolute, and, well, clean. It codifies a lot of the lessons and intuitions experienced programmers have gained through their careers,
Temur Tchanukvadze
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another good book by Uncle Bob. Basically, it's about how to be a professional. He is talking about his career, his mistakes, best practices, time management, estimates and working under pressure. The Clean Coder is not for only developers, it is a self-help book for anyone who wants to master his field in today's world where businesses are driven by collaboration and technologies.
Kethmar Salumets
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reminded me what being a professional developer means, but also gave practical tips of how to manage projects, approach coding etc.
Thang
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
- Working 60 hours per week is a practical idea.
- It takes time to build a good team, so don't break team. Feed projects to the team.
Salah
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit too much fluff, but great book about professionalism in the software industry
Burak
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strongly recommended for all programmers (especially those that would like to call themselves "professional").
Matt
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for anyone looking to have a career as a software engineer.
Olia
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book, easy to read, great stories. Gives a summary of programming life and makes you realize that most of the issues you are dealing daily are more common than you thing!
Ran
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick, fun read about what profession is as a developer
Kaushik S Kalmady
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book gives some important perspectives about how professional programmers need to conduct themselves as well as the set of values they need to adhere by. He makes a strong point for Test Driven Development. It's a quick light read with some interesting points to take away.
Dovilė Sk
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice recommendations and author's experience how to become master, professional developer.
Tom
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Notes

Book review - the clean coder
Uncle Bob
Robert C. Martin

Being a professional means taking ownership and responsibility

First: do no harm (to function or structure)

Bugs in your code are harming the function. Don't give code to qa until after you've already tested it.

You should strive for 100% test coverage. If a function is hard to test it should be rewritten to be easier to test. TDD

Automate testing. If it's easier you'll actually do it.

Merciless refactoring or the boy scout rule: leave ever
Dmytro Chaban
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: read this book
Shelves: java
for(int i = 0;i < Integer.MAX_VALUE;i++){
System.out.println("Best book ever!");
}
No, really. You HAVE yo read this book after Clean Code, Pragmatic programmer. This is exactly what you need when you drive yourself in the craftsmanship direction.
Adam Parkin
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review also on my blog at: http://codependentcodr.blogspot.ca/20...

This book is largely a follow-up to Martin's other very well known book "Clean Code". Whereas that book focuses on the artifacts (code) we developers produce this book focuses on the developer his/herself. How should we as professional developers act? What is the difference between a commitment and estimate? What are our responsibilities? When can we say no & how do we do it? When are we obligated to say yes? How do we get
Ryan Jackson
There should be something for everyone who is in the professional software development world. Also, it is much more approachable (and short) than the first book in the series. Uncle Bob has some strong opinions, but that is the point of this book, I believe.
Bouke
May 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have no idea who this author is and why this book has such a good rating, but the author seems to be pretty full of himself and repeats the same 3 stories over and over again which he seems to find relevant in every situation. He is of the opinion (and his opinions are all over this book without much backing) that coders should be ‘professional’ like engineers and lawyers and doctors, which to him means working 60 hours a week, by adding ‘just’ 3 hours of self study every day. Do you really ...more
Rod Hilton
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Simply phenomenal. I liked this book so much that I literally read the entire thing in a single sitting in about 4 hours. I simply could not put it down.

I'm adding this book to my list of "absolute must-reads for programmers" right alongside The Pragmatic Programmer.

Uncle Bob's new book, The Clean Coder, is a perfect companion to Clean Code. Whereas Clean Code dealt specifically with how a professional programmer treats his or her code, The Clean Coder is more about how a professional programmer
Futurice: Recommendation: The Clean Coder 2 25 Aug 31, 2017 05:36AM

• The Passionate Programmer
  • Code Complete
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Soft Skills: The Software Developer's Life Manual
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robert Cecil Martin, commonly called Uncle Bob, is a software engineer, advocate of Agile development methods, and President of Object Mentor Inc. Martin and his team of software consultants use Object-Oriented Design, Patterns, UML, Agile Methodologies, and eXtreme Programming with worldwide clients.

He was Editor in Chief of the C++ Report from 1996 to 1999. He is a featured speaker at
“Slaves are not allowed to say no. Laborers may be hesitant to say no. But
professionals are expected to say no. Indeed, good managers crave someone who
has the guts to say no. It’s the only way you can really get anything done.”
25 likes
“What would happen if you allowed a bug to slip through a module, and it cost
your company $10,000? The nonprofessional would shrug his shoulders, say
“stuff happens,” and start writing the next module. The professional would
write the company a check for $10,000!”
8 likes