Start by marking “The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers” as Want to Read:
The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers

The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  4,181 Ratings  ·  315 Reviews
Programmers who endure and succeed amidst swirling uncertainty and nonstop pressure share a common attribute: They care deeply about the practice of creating software. They treat it as a craft. They are professionals. In The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers, legendary software expert Robert C. Martin introduces the disciplines, techniques, too ...more
Published May 23rd 2011 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Clean Coder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clean Coder

Nikolay
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uncle Bob is again extreme and depicts a person, who is our asymptotical goal, not something anybody can achieve.

The super-human (a.k.a. The Clean Coder) is always responsible for her actions, can say No even in the toughest times and to the toughest managers and clients, sleeps at least 7 hours per day, spends 20 hours per week for her personal professional development, regularly does programming kata, does TDD 100% of the time, doesn't write features unless there are acceptance tests, doesn't
Sergey Teplyakov
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
There is a tons of similar books in the market. The most remarkable one is "Pragmatic Programmer" by Andy Hunt and Dave Thomas. Both books cover pretty similar set of topics -from design aspects to some specific practices. The main difference between them that "pragmatic programmer" covers broader set of topics and with much more depth.

I see few issues with "The Clean Coder":

1. Tons of useless stories from authors' personal life.
In most cases they're not that relevant to chapters' topic and alm
Josh Hamacher
I tend to read at least one of these "how to be a more professional programmer" books every year. Historically they haven't impressed me. This one was the rare exception - it really spoke to me, for some reason.

Nothing in this book is truly new or unique. But Martin raised a lot of really good points and some things that I had never really put much thought into in the past all of a sudden clicked for me.

I guess it really boils down to presentation - Martin (for the most part) presented "the same
Richard
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Mostly this book is pretty good. It's a series of anecdotes from the author's lifetime of working in the software industry. They are reminiscent of things you might see on thedailywtf, but they are followed up with an explanation of what the correct response to each situation would be. This actually makes the book more readable than the previous one in the series, which was much more technical. It also makes it rather harder to apply to one's own life. It's not just a matter of running down a ch ...more
Igal
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
In popular culture, computer programmers, sometimes confused with sysadmins, are often described as teenage punks, sitting in a dark, lit only by the glow of their monitor, empty cartons of pizza and Mountain Dew bottles scattered strategically around, frantically hacking away on their keyboard.

What does it mean to be a professional programmer? Is it wearing a suit and tie to work? Is it having certifications or diplomas decorating the walls of your office? Is it working hard, sometimes overtim
Amani
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Chapeau Robert Martin!!

Amazing. Clicked me. It is really fantastic to find yourself saying "Yea, exactly. This is what I was searching for." with every single line you read.

I consider this book the complement or the other face of Clean Code book. Clean code handles the technical side and this one handles the personal one. You need to read them both!

The part I appreciated the most is Practicing and Estimation. Estimation is indeed not an easy task at all. I have faced many hard situations in whic
Alejandro Teruel
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computación, acm
Robert C. Martin (1952- ) has been programming professionally since 1970 but started making his mark as an exceptional software engineering practitioner and consultant once he started developing object-oriented software in the 1980s and later when he was amongst the Agile Manifesto signatories (2001), distilled part of his design experience into the five well-known SOLID principles (2003) and co-developed the acceptance testing framework FitNesse. He is also a much sought after and forceful keyn ...more
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Yes, "The Clean Coder" is a sequel to Uncle Bob's "Clean Code." This is a great book and drills what being a professional developer really means as delivered by a well respected source.

The book is very readable and contains advice mixed with stories from the author's past and dialog. I like the use of dialog to show communication issues like saying "done" or over committing. Even the foreword was a story.

I think there was too much repetition of the stories across chapters. Almost like the chapte
Vladimir Ryashentsev
Эта книга заставила меня пересмотреть свое понимание ответственности. Она демонстрирует отличный путь отношений программиста с другими программистами, руководством и всеми заинтересованными сторонами. Этот путь позволит быть более довольным своей работой и удовлетворять руководство и коллег, идти стабильнее к результату и не обманываться(и не обманывать) на этом пути. Роберт Мартин называет этот путь профессионализмом.
Rodion Krivoshein
Первая книга, которую должен прочитать человек, решивший стать программистом.
Раскрыты темы того, что нужно знать и уметь помимо умения писать код.
Gabrielam13
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programare
Ca de obicei, îmi place ceea scrie cel ce acum a devenit ca un mentor pentru mine: Uncle Bob. Dar în această carte m-a surprins subiectul pe care l-a abordat: profesionalismul pentru programatori. Cu siguranță nu m-am gândit că ar putea exista un cod de comportament pentru software developeri, dar toate argumentele pe care autorul le-a oferit sunt copleșitoare. De ce nu ne angajăm să suportăm consecințele a ceea ce spunem în aceeași măsură pe care un docotor o face? Cu toate că viața nimănui nu ...more
Rajiv Mote
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Defining Professionalism In Software Development

This is a programming book, but not about algorithms, data structures, or patterns. It's a precise definition of professionalism in the software field, a set of practices and attitudes that separate a professional programmer from the larger pool of "people who code." In typical Uncle Bob fashion, it's opinionated, resolute, and, well, clean. It codifies a lot of the lessons and intuitions experienced programmers have gained through their careers, a
Burak
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strongly recommended for all programmers (especially those that would like to call themselves "professional").
matthew likwarz
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for anyone looking to have a career as a software engineer.
Stéfano
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leitura obrigatória não somente para desenvolvedores, mas para todas as pessoas envolvidas com desenvolvimento de software.
Dovilė Sk
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice recommendations and author's experience how to become master, professional developer.
Olia
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book, easy to read, great stories. Gives a summary of programming life and makes you realize that most of the issues you are dealing daily are more common than you thing!
mojtaba kamyabi
Really good book specially chapter 7 is great (estimate the timing for projects)
Adam Parkin
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review also on my blog at: http://codependentcodr.blogspot.ca/20...

This book is largely a follow-up to Martin's other very well known book "Clean Code". Whereas that book focuses on the artifacts (code) we developers produce this book focuses on the developer his/herself. How should we as professional developers act? What is the difference between a commitment and estimate? What are our responsibilities? When can we say no & how do we do it? When are we obligated to say yes? How do we get be
Dmitriy Chaban
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: read this book
Shelves: java
for(int i = 0;i < Integer.MAX_VALUE;i++){
System.out.println("Best book ever!");
}
No, really. You HAVE yo read this book after Clean Code, Pragmatic programmer. This is exactly what you need when you drive yourself in the craftsmanship direction.
Ryan Jackson
There should be something for everyone who is in the professional software development world. Also, it is much more approachable (and short) than the first book in the series. Uncle Bob has some strong opinions, but that is the point of this book, I believe.
Ivan Chernov
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
"Дедушка" Мартин поднимает тему того, что такое профессионализм в индустрии разработки ПО. Вряд ли другому человеку удалось раскрыть эту проблему лучше, т.к. Р. Мартин обладает 40-летним опытом в индустрии (мало кто может этим похвалиться).

Читайте, если вам необходимы ответы на следующие вопросы:
* что такое профессионализм?
* когда говорить "да" и "нет"?
* как я могу улучшить тестирование продукта?
* как назначать сроки на разработку?
* куда дальше развиваться?

Персонально мне книга больше всего помо
Rod Hilton
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Simply phenomenal. I liked this book so much that I literally read the entire thing in a single sitting in about 4 hours. I simply could not put it down.

I'm adding this book to my list of "absolute must-reads for programmers" right alongside The Pragmatic Programmer.

Uncle Bob's new book, The Clean Coder, is a perfect companion to Clean Code. Whereas Clean Code dealt specifically with how a professional programmer treats his or her code, The Clean Coder is more about how a professional programmer
Marius Colacioiu
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
This book is a real treasure. Uncle Bob shares intimate stories, gists, from his early life as a software developer that drove him toward becoming a professional, the software craftsman he is today.

He describes the practices a software developer should aim to master in his professional life. He also set a clear bar on how much time a software developer should invest on a weekly basis.. to improve his skills (around 20 hours per week).

He is great at explaining delicate arguments, like how to get
Derek Verlee
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The word professional and its variants is thrown around a lot, especially "unprofessional". Uncle Bob has his opinions and doesn't mince words. Nevertheless I agree with him in most places and I recommend this book for anyone working in software developement (or management thereof). He does a good job in the important parts of giving perspective to support his advice. Goes on a bit more about TDD and some other pet prefrences/details then I think nessisary (there are other places to be get brow ...more
Victor
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is quite an interesting and somewhat opinionated from the perspective of someone who had been in the industry for quite a bit of time. It is really useful to read his life experience and some tips and potential pitfalls regarding some stuffs that I am facing at work and how I react to them.

Ultimately, to me, this book is a must read for anyone who wants to take software development seriously. But some of its principles could be applied to other industries as well. We need more professional
Sergey Shishkin
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There are several book I wish I'd read much earlier in my career. This book is one of those. Moreover than that with "Clean Coder" Robert Martin sets the standard for a book required for every software developer to read.

I first thought this book might be a repetition of the Clean Code repertoire but it wasn't. The book focuses on the attitudes and disciplines of professional developers and professionalism in general. Though the last chapters – Collaboration, Teams and Projects – came over as ver
Katy
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very quick and engaging read (at least for me), and I think every programmer who works in a professional setting should read this at least once. I will be re-reading it and making notes to try and apply in my own life. Some good advice; a lot of it is fairly common sense and there are parallels with the Pragmatic Programmer, but having things spelled out to you with solid examples goes a long way toward making this a practical and useful guide. Also, unlike the Pragmatic Programmer, it's more ...more
Ben Linders
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Clean Coder is about how be a professional programmer, who communicates clearly about what will be delivered when, and lives up to these commitments. . The book is full of stories and experiences from the authorâs career. The examples make it easy to read, and they also appeal to the reader to take a look at his own experience, and to learn from it. And that is what a clean coder is all about, delivering high quality software, on time, in a professional way.

Read the full book review at http:
William Anderson
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
While perhaps too intense on the TDD chapters and with certain philosophies (He explicitly talks about remaining open to new ideas), overall it is in insightful look into one man's professional career and how he has established his professionalism through not only a code of conduct, but through practicies as well.
Futurice: Recommendation: The Clean Coder 2 17 Aug 31, 2017 05:36AM
  • 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • The Productive Programmer
  • Pragmatic Thinking and Learning: Refactor Your Wetware
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • The Art of Unit Testing: With Examples in .NET
  • Apprenticeship Patterns: Guidance for the Aspiring Software Craftsman
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • The RSpec Book

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robert Cecil Martin, commonly called Uncle Bob, is a software engineer, advocate of Agile development methods, and President of Object Mentor Inc. Martin and his team of software consultants use Object-Oriented Design, Patterns, UML, Agile Methodologies, and eXtreme Programming with worldwide clients.

He was Editor in Chief of the C++ Report from 1996 to 1999. He is a featured speaker at internatio
More about Robert C. Martin

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Slaves are not allowed to say no. Laborers may be hesitant to say no. But
professionals are expected to say no. Indeed, good managers crave someone who
has the guts to say no. It’s the only way you can really get anything done.”
22 likes
“What would happen if you allowed a bug to slip through a module, and it cost
your company $10,000? The nonprofessional would shrug his shoulders, say
“stuff happens,” and start writing the next module. The professional would
write the company a check for $10,000!”
7 likes