Start by marking “African Princess: The Amazing Lives of Africa's Royal Women” as Want to Read:
African Princess: The Amazing Lives of Africa's Royal Women

African Princess: The Amazing Lives of Africa's Royal Women

What was it like to live as a queen in ancient Egypt, or as an Amazon warrior in western Africa? African Princess tells the stories of six remarkable royal women and the eras in which they lived, from 1473 B.C. to the present. Some lived in great luxury; others lived in exile as freedom fighters. The rise of the slave trade and the arrival of European colonists unsettled t ...more
Published July 26th 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Start your review of African Princess: The Amazing Lives of Africa's Royal Women
Kim Tyo-Dickerson
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hansen revisits and brings to vibrant, awe-inspiring life six ground-breaking royal African women who led nations, fought wars, created new cities, and shaped the histories of their nations in innovative and courageous ways. Representing six different African regions, including Dahomey, Egypt, Ethiopia, Matamba, Toro, and Zaria, and stretching from c. 1497-1457 B.C. Egypt to present day Uganda, these princess' lives continue to shape the narratives of African sovereignty, diplomacy, and developm ...more
Shelley Alongi
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So there really are Amazons. A man I worked with used to call me one because I did a lot of heavy lifting when I work for him. I was pretty good with those tables. This is an interesting book to start with because I don’t know a lot about African history so this is a great place to start. I bet the pictures beautiful. Nice job and some pretty complicated words for 3rd to 6th graders but there is always something to be said comprehension of vocab you Larry I like it.
Remy
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice illustrations and simple introduction to important African figures.
Patricia
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to my sterling public school education, my knowledge of any African history is pretty much "Ancient Egypt-->slave trade-->the Boer War(?)-->apartheid." In trying to fill these egregious gaps, I checked out this book among some other more general titles, and am SO glad I did. The women discussed are inspiring and interesting, with a narrative writing style that's more engaging than many informational books. The text was accessible despite my having zero historical context, while still piqu ...more
Taneka
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked the fact that it was a short read. Mainly because there is only one princess in the book from the 20th century. I would love to read one where they highlight current princesses of the continent.
Lady  Krystal
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I learned a host of wonderful information from this book even though I originally picked it up for a child. The illustrations were beautiful and brought the anecdotes to life all the more. I would read it again and I would recommend it to children and adults alike.
Regina Ajiboye
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book goes into great detail of a variety of queen in African the culture and the history behind it. The book also shows artifacts from the varies tribes and the importance of those pieces. This book is great for any young teen reader.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I'd never read about some of these people before.
Tara
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Starting with the Egyptian Princess Hatshepsut. I would guess this is more for the 5th grader reading level. A wonderful book about women as ambassadors, leaders and respected authorities.
Kelly Lyons
Jun 18, 2017
David Ortega
rated it did not like it
Nov 01, 2015