Start by marking “eXtreme Programming eXplained : embrace change” as Want to Read:
eXtreme Programming eXplained : embrace change

eXtreme Programming eXplained : embrace change

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  2,407 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Software development projects can be fun, productive, and even daring. Yet they can consistently deliver value to a business and remain under control.

Extreme Programming (XP) was conceived and developed to address the specific needs of software development conducted by small teams in the face of vague and changing requirements. This new lightweight methodology challenges m
Published 2000 by Addison-Wesley (first published October 5th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about eXtreme Programming eXplained , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about eXtreme Programming eXplained

Ondrej Sykora
An explanation of the extreme programming methodology. The main thesis of the book is that it does not make sense to try and predict things that can't be predicted. Instead, Kent Beck proposes a methodology that embraces changes instead of fighting them or trying to predict everything into detail. The main points of the methodology are:
- pair programming - all code is written in pairs (on a single computer); this leads to a higher quality of code being written, as the person who is not writing h
Sergey Teplyakov
Kent Beck is one of the most influential person in our industry. Patterns, refactoring, TDD, XP. Our industry would never be like what we know it without him. His pragmatic view is awesome, his experience is tremendous.

But I think that this book is just a good one. Just good, but not great. Kent is concise, focused and very deep. But I think he left too much on the reader. Maybe this is just my personal perspective, but I felt that I've missed design consideration from the first edition of this
Imran Ariffin
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a novice programmer who hasn't had much experience working in a team, much less working in a team that practices XP, I think this book introduced me to a lot of things on real team project management as a programmer as well as a manager, as much as the book does in introducing me to XP itself.

The explanations are really easy to understand and sometimes fun, especially in the early chapters. I really like the steering-a-car analogy on how a development process should be done.

However, again as
Jean Tessier
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
eXtreme Programming 2.0.

Actually, it's a complete rewrite of the first edition.

Actually, it's more like reinventing XP. Kent Beck is adjusting XP so we can benefit from his additional five years of XP experience. The first XP was squarely aimed at programmers; this new version should appeal to everyone involved in software development. The practices have been updated: some have been dropped, some are new. He recommends a much more gradual introduction if you want to move to XP, instead of the st
Toni Tassani
The book is not "only for software engineers" or "a technical book" as some think, but a reflection on a full methodology. XP has remained as the technical complementary part of other so-called agile methodologies that obviate that code has to be built, but started with the intention of being complete.
After reading the book now I see how Kent thought about planning, estimate, prioritise and maintain the pace, always focusing on the coding part of the equation, but taking into account the busines
Plamen Stoev
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! It puts software development in new light for me - with emphasis on social interaction, mutual trust, personal and community growth, transparency and many more societal cornerstones. Even though the book does not contain a single line of code, it helps the reader to care about code even more, because caring for the code is caring for other people, for other teammates. The book also makes you care more about the process of development. A must-read for any programmer.
Anton Antonov
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read if you want to be a developer that solves business, organization and software problems.

Being able to notice, analyze and solve problems outside the code base is part of software engineering.

"Extreme Programming Explained" is the right book for anyone to learn how to do that.

I found every chapter immensely useful although I may have read most of the values and principles in other books or blog posts. The XP scaling and roles is something that the book explained better.

The book chapters
David Workman
A very good read that introduces the topic of Extreme Programming extremely well.

This book does a great job of conveying the practices, principles and values of XP to its target audience. Its style should be familiar to those who have read Kent Beck's other books - it gets right to the point, doesn't repeat itself very much and is split into chapters where they make sense without any artificial bloating of chapters to make them 'the right size' (several chapters are only 2 sides, for example).

It
Kristina Stefanova
Very good book that is explaining the main principles, practices and values of Extreme Programming (XP) that makes the software development faster and brings excellence and good quality to the end product. The examples are simple, the book is easy for reading and is inspiring. The main core in the process of XP are pair programming, test driven development, incremental design, deployment and planning, work separated in development cycles and customer interaction. The team aim to achieve perfect ...more
Nicholas
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read even if you don't know anything about coding. Don't let the lack of quotes belie this book. There was nothing that jumped off the page but it was all good. Short and too the point too.

Quotes:

"One way a test can pay off is when a test works that you didn't expect to work. Then you better go find out why it works, because the code is smarter than you are."
Neville Ridley-smith
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, technical
I read parts of this many years ago and I decided to give it a thorough read-through. Even though it's the first edition, it's still interesting. Agile (mostly Scrum) has definitely developed further from these ideas but the basics are here. And there are plenty of good reminders too. Gets a bit hand-wavy at times but I can overlook that.
Kim Mens
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read and a very influential book as so many of Kent Beck's ideas. I recently found a nice blog about this book as well : http://blog.8thlight.com/uncle-bob/20...
Patrick Coakley
While I feel like there were some interesting points, I think this book was probably a lot more useful 10 years ago than it is now. As I don't have any industry experience, I can't truly say how much of it is truly applicable today. It just feels like some of the reasoning behind Extreme Programming just doesn't hold up as well anymore. However, I did like how Kent Beck explains the iterative design principles behind XP, such as the "driving a car" analogy. You can definitely pick up some great ...more
Alan
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written book. The best reference to XP values, principles and practices.

Do not try to predict what is not predictable. Change the way you work to embrace change instead of trying to predict everything in detail and avoid frustration. Work at a sustainable pace.

XP certainly has changed the way our industry thinks about software development. I am happy to see that most of the practices described in the book are now part of the daily life of our industry. TDD, CI, CD, patterns, refactoring, pa
Eyal Baruch
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I enjoyed reading the book. However, I am not sure that I 100% agree with all that is in the book.
I think that there are cases in which you cannot have a deployable SW at the end of each sprint. Consider the case of changing the operation system. Yes - you can take a flow at a time and get it to work. But before you deploy to production you would need to have feature parity to the current version. This is why you would need to work in branching for sometime.
I also like that the author acknowledg
Kory
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read for work as it's the methodology they have used since they started and it's worked out very well for them. There's a lot that should be natural for people, like pair programming, it should be always required but a more pragmatic approach works well. Doing it when it makes sense. some things will be hard at first, like TDD, it's very rarely taught in school and I don't think a lot of places actually do it.

There should always be food.
Attila Szabo
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview about XP.

My random notes for myself are the followings
- test first development always
- pair programming is a must have not a nice to have
- identify stakeholders and invite them to planning
- discuss the values with the team and say them out explicitly
Juan
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente! Lectura obligatoria para los agilistas
Laurent Grima
I feel like you could almost summarise the book with "Joel's test": https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/0...
Abel Gonzalez
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El mejor libro que he leído sobre software sin duda.
Hossein Baghayi
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had fun reading it.
Raj Makaram
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book describes a lightweight software development framework called Extreme programming (Xp). The author Kent Beck is one of the inventors of Xp., which he and his team have practiced in Smalltalk environment. Though the contents of Xp was very much available over the World Wide Web, through this book the author has made formal and more structured presentation of his framework. In spite of this effort there are ample avenues to improve the language, presentation clarity of this book. If your ...more
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn the principles of XP, this is THE book. If you want to learn the practice of XP, there are better alternatives.

The ideas and motivation of XP are explained clearly and concisely. It's a short read, but fairly convincing. However, if you learn better from examples, this book does not have enough real world stories to really see XP in action.

The book is full of great quotes:

XP is a lightweight methodology for small-to-medium-sized teams developing software in the face of vag
Darryl
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I didn't always agree with the author's conclusions, I loved this book. The five-star score is a rating of the book, not XP itself. The book does a wonderful job of tieing practices back to principles and values. XP practices and the reasoning behind them are explained in enough detail that you can work them into your teams starting now. I think this is the book's main goal, and it has been reached.

The book is not without flaws. The author makes a number of assumptions about people and
TruongSinh Tran-Nguyen
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TruongSinh by: Jari Soini
The book focuses on philosophy, values and principles, and could be mind-blowing for first time agile practitioner (such as plan just enough then do vs extensive planning, baby steps vs bigbang, cross-functional vs functional, etc.)

Practices (such as pair programming, test-first, continuous integration, user stories, etc.) are mentioned superficially; you won't find good material on how to start any of them. However, the same author either wrote or forworded several books focusing on these pract
Fabio L. S.
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Na 1a edição fica mais evidente a quebra de paradigma proposta pelo XP e pelos métodos ágeis em geral. O livro é ao mesmo tempo provocativo e cativante. Beck explica claramente a motivação e as ideias básicas por trás do XP, o que ajuda o leitor entender e acreditar na solução proposta. Por outro lado, a 2a edição é um livro muito mais pragmático, sem tanta provocação. Nela, o método é explicado em maiores detalhes, discutindo melhor a sua aplicação prática. Essa mudança é natural ao considerar ...more
Paul Cochrane
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an intensely personal book explaining how teams can create software and work to the maximum of their potential. Kent Beck obviously has a deep passion for the craft of software development and a desire to pass on his knowledge and experience to others in order to improve the lot of software teams and software development in general. The book explains the many concepts behind extreme programming very clearly and in plain language, and lays out a path for positive change should a programme ...more
Johnny Graber
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
XP is still relevant today and gets with Xanpan: Personal reflections on Agile & Software Development another boost. Rereading the classical “Extreme Programming Explained” was for me a nice update with some interesting reminders. With more experience I value the collaboration parts of this book more than the technical ones. The technology may change but the team interactions stay around much longer and influence the success of a project more.

The metaphor of the growing garden to illustrate
Nandan Dubey
I haven't done Software Engineering course. It was optional and I never learned to appreciate it until after 5-6 months in my job. Other reason for not doing it was the professor who took the course in my campus :).

Anyhow this book told me the importance of planning and philosophy behind software development. I learned to appreciate the way my company do XP or at least try to impose it to maximum extent. This is way to survive in long term.
Even though the philosophy discussed in the book doesn't
Adam
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of great practices. This time through the emphasis on a crazy-low defect rate stuck with me. Quality is not something you can trade off. Raise quality to make projects go faster.

I got a little hung up on bits of prose that didn't add up for me. Aphorisms like "Tools and techniques change often, but they don't change a lot. People, however, change slowly but deeply" felt like fluff. The example setting up self-similarity, a leaf in the same shape as the nearby pond, struck me as mixing coinc
  • Refactoring to Patterns (Addison Wesley Signature Series)
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative
  • Extreme Programming Installed
  • Object-Oriented Software Construction (Book/CD-ROM)
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Agile Software Development
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches
  • Ship It!

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir
    $11.24 $1.99
“Responsibility cannot be assigned; it can only be accepted. If someone tries to give you responsibility, only you can decide if you are responsible or if you aren't.” 10 likes
“The XP philosophy is to start where you are now and move towards the ideal. From where you are now, could you improve a little bit?” 2 likes