Start by marking “eXtreme Programming eXplained : embrace change” as Want to Read:
eXtreme Programming eXplained : embrace change

eXtreme Programming eXplained : embrace change

Software development projects can be fun, productive, and even daring. Yet they can consistently deliver value to a business and remain under control.

Extreme Programming (XP) was conceived and developed to address the specific needs of software development conducted by small teams in the face of vague and changing requirements. This new lightweight methodology challenges m
Published 2000 by Addison-Wesley (first published October 5th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about eXtreme Programming eXplained , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about eXtreme Programming eXplained

Ondrej Sykora
An explanation of the extreme programming methodology. The main thesis of the book is that it does not make sense to try and predict things that can't be predicted. Instead, Kent Beck proposes a methodology that embraces changes instead of fighting them or trying to predict everything into detail. The main points of the methodology are:
- pair programming - all code is written in pairs (on a single computer); this leads to a higher quality of code being written, as the person who is not writing h
Sergey Teplyakov
Kent Beck is one of the most influential person in our industry. Patterns, refactoring, TDD, XP. Our industry would never be like what we know it without him. His pragmatic view is awesome, his experience is tremendous.

But I think that this book is just a good one. Just good, but not great. Kent is concise, focused and very deep. But I think he left too much on the reader. Maybe this is just my personal perspective, but I felt that I've missed design consideration from the first edition of this
Jean Tessier
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
eXtreme Programming 2.0.

Actually, it's a complete rewrite of the first edition.

Actually, it's more like reinventing XP. Kent Beck is adjusting XP so we can benefit from his additional five years of XP experience. The first XP was squarely aimed at programmers; this new version should appeal to everyone involved in software development. The practices have been updated: some have been dropped, some are new. He recommends a much more gradual introduction if you want to move to XP, instead of the st
miki albert
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
subjectively: i feel like this book is straight to the point, without absolutist claims. It provides a nice thinking framework, and clarifies the knowledge i may already had by putting it into a clear framing.

Objectively, to me it provided
- some very clear (pain)points which can be frequently missed in how the team works and communicates, on how it applies some processes, and how it does its work on a daily basis

- a very good preliminary toolbox from which I can draw ideas on how to handle all
Imran Ariffin
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a novice programmer who hasn't had much experience working in a team, much less working in a team that practices XP, I think this book introduced me to a lot of things on real team project management as a programmer as well as a manager, as much as the book does in introducing me to XP itself.

The explanations are really easy to understand and sometimes fun, especially in the early chapters. I really like the steering-a-car analogy on how a development process should be done.

However, again as
Mya
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
I decided to read this book because I was working with a team where "the usual" practices didn't seem to be helping in their context. I am so glad I did! So many nuggets of wisdom and new ideas to try, especially in the more technical space. I'm a Scrum Master, so there were some (very few) areas where Scrum/XP didn't really align, however, they seemed largely complementary. (Which isn't surprising seeing as both are founded on the Values and Principles of the Manifesto for Agile Software Develo ...more
Toni Tassani
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: safari
The book is not "only for software engineers" or "a technical book" as some think, but a reflection on a full methodology. XP has remained as the technical complementary part of other so-called agile methodologies that obviate that code has to be built, but started with the intention of being complete.
After reading the book now I see how Kent thought about planning, estimate, prioritise and maintain the pace, always focusing on the coding part of the equation, but taking into account the busines
Darryl
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I didn't always agree with the author's conclusions, I loved this book. The five-star score is a rating of the book, not XP itself. The book does a wonderful job of tieing practices back to principles and values. XP practices and the reasoning behind them are explained in enough detail that you can work them into your teams starting now. I think this is the book's main goal, and it has been reached.

The book is not without flaws. The author makes a number of assumptions about people and
Anton Antonov
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read if you want to be a developer that solves business, organization and software problems.

Being able to notice, analyze and solve problems outside the code base is part of software engineering.

"Extreme Programming Explained" is the right book for anyone to learn how to do that.

I found every chapter immensely useful although I may have read most of the values and principles in other books or blog posts. The XP scaling and roles is something that the book explained better.

The book chapters
David Workman
A very good read that introduces the topic of Extreme Programming extremely well.

This book does a great job of conveying the practices, principles and values of XP to its target audience. Its style should be familiar to those who have read Kent Beck's other books - it gets right to the point, doesn't repeat itself very much and is split into chapters where they make sense without any artificial bloating of chapters to make them 'the right size' (several chapters are only 2 sides, for example).

It
Kristina Stefanova
Very good book that is explaining the main principles, practices and values of Extreme Programming (XP) that makes the software development faster and brings excellence and good quality to the end product. The examples are simple, the book is easy for reading and is inspiring. The main core in the process of XP are pair programming, test driven development, incremental design, deployment and planning, work separated in development cycles and customer interaction. The team aim to achieve perfect ...more
Eduards Sizovs
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book describes many believes in software development I hold.

In the world of silver bullets, buzzwords and markitecture, this book has become more relevant than never. A fundamentally important book on how software should be delivered – values, principles, and practices.

It not only covers technical aspects of XP but also often forgotten ones, like courage and respect.
Nicholas
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read even if you don't know anything about coding. Don't let the lack of quotes belie this book. There was nothing that jumped off the page but it was all good. Short and too the point too.

Quotes:

"One way a test can pay off is when a test works that you didn't expect to work. Then you better go find out why it works, because the code is smarter than you are."
Neville Ridley-smith
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, technical
I read parts of this many years ago and I decided to give it a thorough read-through. Even though it's the first edition, it's still interesting. Agile (mostly Scrum) has definitely developed further from these ideas but the basics are here. And there are plenty of good reminders too. Gets a bit hand-wavy at times but I can overlook that.
Kim Mens
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read and a very influential book as so many of Kent Beck's ideas. I recently found a nice blog about this book as well : http://blog.8thlight.com/uncle-bob/20...
I am an engineering manager who has been working on converting my team to more agile methodologies in the last year. In reading about agile, Extreme Programming also is frequently mentioned, so I thought it behooved me to go to the source and learn what XP is actually about.

On the plus side, the book does a good job on clearly laying out the values, principles, and practices of Extreme Programming. I feel that I have a more clear idea in my head of what is meant by this term, and how it relates
Mark Seemann
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
While I've been aware of extreme programming (XP) for decades, I've never really subjected myself to a comprehensive review of its practices and techniques. As far as I could tell, it involves test-driven development, team co-location, pair programming, and possibly a few other practices.

In recent years, Agile software development has become such a washed-out term that it's no longer useful if you want to communicate how to develop software. Scrum is more well-defined, but I no longer feel align
Tu
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about doing software development well. You may think it's a bit old, but its core concepts are still valuable. I believe it's still more suitable now then when it's released. Changes are happening in everywhere and every industries, embracing changes is the answer to our survival and growth.

Many people talk about Agile, CI/CD, Iteration, Incremental development ... but not sure they truly know path on doing those. Not sure they know about the values, principles and especially, the pra
Patrick Coakley
While I feel like there were some interesting points, I think this book was probably a lot more useful 10 years ago than it is now. As I don't have any industry experience, I can't truly say how much of it is truly applicable today. It just feels like some of the reasoning behind Extreme Programming just doesn't hold up as well anymore. However, I did like how Kent Beck explains the iterative design principles behind XP, such as the "driving a car" analogy. You can definitely pick up some great ...more
Alan
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written book. The best reference to XP values, principles and practices.

Do not try to predict what is not predictable. Change the way you work to embrace change instead of trying to predict everything in detail and avoid frustration. Work at a sustainable pace.

XP certainly has changed the way our industry thinks about software development. I am happy to see that most of the practices described in the book are now part of the daily life of our industry. TDD, CI, CD, patterns, refactoring, pa
Eyal Baruch
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I enjoyed reading the book. However, I am not sure that I 100% agree with all that is in the book.
I think that there are cases in which you cannot have a deployable SW at the end of each sprint. Consider the case of changing the operation system. Yes - you can take a flow at a time and get it to work. But before you deploy to production you would need to have feature parity to the current version. This is why you would need to work in branching for sometime.
I also like that the author acknowledg
Leo Maslovs
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book reminded me of ”Clean code” by Robert C. Martin. It feels and energizes the same way: it is very simple yet not simplistic, brief yet thoughtful, does not force the way but gives a map and educates about trajectories.

The book gives you a practical start, but most importantly, it sets a gold standard for what XP development should really be about: your values, attitude, collaboration, and respect.
Kory
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read for work as it's the methodology they have used since they started and it's worked out very well for them. There's a lot that should be natural for people, like pair programming, it should be always required but a more pragmatic approach works well. Doing it when it makes sense. some things will be hard at first, like TDD, it's very rarely taught in school and I don't think a lot of places actually do it.

There should always be food.
Sudhanshu
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's about how to embrace changes happening in environment .
Environment always change you have to make your system flexible enough to adapt that change easily.
This book explains about how values , principles and practices are connected to each other.
It pushes more in terms of applying XP as a whole which includes everyone business , customers , QA s, devs .
Importance of incremental change according to the environment.
Raydhitya Yoseph
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I love this book for is insights on job satisfaction. We do not only code for a living, but code quality code for satisfaction. The part on practices is a clear and actionable explanation. Even if we are not practicing Extreme Programming as a whole, the book shows good practices in coding.
Yury Chudnovsky
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the books that will never get old.
Sometimes teams apply some parts of XP and forgot about others.
It is a good start, but you definitely should see the whole picture to get the most benefits from XP.
And you should learn that XP is not only about programming practices. It is about attitude and your values!
Lisa
I read it all, mainly because I had to. I really could care less about all of the anecdotes the author shared throughout the book. Kent, not to sound mean or anything, but no one cares about the fact that you had a Polish jelly donut around Easter 1996.
Amit Tiwari
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best guide line for software developer to embrace XP

Book describe practices and values in well defined manner. Language of the book is easy to understand and apply.
After reading the book I realize that XP is the way to do software development.
Attila Szabo
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview about XP.

My random notes for myself are the followings
- test first development always
- pair programming is a must have not a nice to have
- identify stakeholders and invite them to planning
- discuss the values with the team and say them out explicitly
Michal
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic and inspirational read. I enjoyed every page and re-read some chapters more than once. Kent Beck is a great developer, leader and a human being. Thanks to his book, we can see humanity, relationships and ability to be yourself included in the development process.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Agile Software Development
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Object-Oriented Software Construction (Book/CD-ROM)
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Agile Coaching
  • Ship It!

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Responsibility cannot be assigned; it can only be accepted. If someone tries to give you responsibility, only you can decide if you are responsible or if you aren't.” 11 likes
“The XP philosophy is to start where you are now and move towards the ideal. From where you are now, could you improve a little bit?” 3 likes