Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  64,331 ratings  ·  6,931 reviews
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, ea...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children's (first published August 2nd 2012)

curious little beastie
Dec 04, 2013 curious little beastie marked it as to-read
Shelves: covergasm

First cover: "Yeah, don't I look badass in this? Wait, hold on, does my hair and makeup look okay? I think I need to pose like this, so I look all strong and tough."

Second cover: "Fuck off or I'll end you."

I think it's obvious who the winner is for me. xD But you be the judge.
Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)
What I was expecting:

What I got:

Assassin fail. Annoying heroine win. Maybe I could buy this chick as a badass had she not been:

- Annoying
- Emotionally unstable
- Obsessed with her looks
- Obsessed with appearances
- Ruled by her hubris
- In love with exclamation points!!!!!!!!
- An open book, expression wise
- About as subtle as a rhinoceros
- Incapable of hitting a slow moving target with a flower pot

This might just be a case of “It’s not you...more
Janina
Sorry, but it looks like I've been excited for NOTHING. After enticing me with its promises of a reading experience reminiscent of Megan Whalen Turner and George R.R. Martin, Throne of Glass ultimately let me down. Having been excited for this novel for weeks and actually liking the sample I read, I have been brought back to earth now – with a jolt. This YA fantasy is a rather sorry example of its genre.

I have the notion that a big part of this book did not work for me because of its heroine. Ce...more
Sam
‘She dropped into a crouch. As the blade sailed overhead, she lashed out at his legs. He didn't even have the time to cry out as she swept his feet out from under him, nor did he have the time to raise his weapon before she crouched over his chest, the iron-coated tip of the staff at his throat. She brought her mouth close to his ear. "My name is Celaena Sardothien," she whispered.’

While I had never come across the first draft of this story when it was published under the title Queen of Glass o...more
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating 3.5 stars

Thorne of Glass has a lot going for it. It's packed full of action, mystery, likable characters and fun dialogue. On the flip side, it also has a few tropes that I usually make me want to rip my hair out strand by strand: the love triangle, semi-insta love and predictable plot twists. That by no means makes this a bad book, because despite those annoyances, I was fully engrossed in Throne of Glass.

The Plot and Writing:

While the synopsis may come off feeling a little Hunger...more
Mitch
Throne of Glass came to me highly recommended by someone who thinks Twilight is among the best books of all time, so I was instantly wary, but I promised to keep an open mind since, well, high fantasy and a kick ass assassin, what could go wrong? Well, a lot, apparently. I’m not saying this book is by any means on Twilight’s level of awfulness, but it is one of the shallowest, least impressive fantasies I’ve ever read.

I've never read the original, but I think I have a good idea where Sarah J. Ma...more
Emily May
Aug 22, 2014 Emily May rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of light, chick lit-style fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2013
It feels like Throne of Glass has been a book I've been thinking about maybe reading for a million years. The reviews and ratings from my GR friends on this book are very mixed and I can easily see why after finishing this entertaining but disappointingly tame and romance-y young adult fantasy. Throne of Glass is like Shadow and Bone round two. The premise is awesome for both: full of hardcore warriors/assassins, royal/noble secrets and scandals, a touch of magic... but each one, though entertai...more
Regan
This book was sooooo goood! The main female character is amazing, SHE WAS PRACTICAL. Not to mention completely badass, and could kill anyone with a hairpin if she wanted to. Great high fantasy, i cannot wait for the next in the series! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
Keertana
Throne of Glass is not a novel I would put on a throne, or any kind of pedestal for that matter, whether it be made of glass or brick or wood. If anything, it is a novel I am throwing – or have already thrown actually – into my Cavern of Disappointments where I can hopefully forget it ever exists and satisfy myself by re-reading assassin novels where the assassins actually assassinate! You see, like so many novels before it, Throne of Glass had an immense amount of – wait for it - potenti...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The first time I saw my sister after I finished reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, she was in the middle of reading the latest book from one of her favorite series. I did not care. I pestered, cajoled, and harassed her until she downloaded the Throne of Glass sample chapters and read them.

She stopped reading her book and read mine until the wee morning hours when she finished it.

*lap of victory*

A few months later, my mom drove down from Charlotte when her nursing s...more
The Holy Terror
Two things will make or break this book for you: whether or not you like Celaena and whether or not you hate love triangles.

I like Celaena. Yes, a lot of what she says and does contradicts her character, and so much of her being a badass relies on Celaena telling us that she's so, but I like her. I like that she's pretty and uses it to her advantage. I like that she loves dresses and make-up and weapons and books. I think I'm mostly just sick of the "plain girl who isn't special yet two hot guys...more
Sandra
This book.
Guys, this book...

y Pxa8c N zps95b04f4c

Genre: High Fantasy/YA/Romance ( with Adventure/Historical).

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a restrained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fetal mistake. She got caught.
ac2e231d 27e3 4b4e aa82 1932ae86e4b5 zpsb2699015

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land
Lyanna (Book Beasties)
Want to be updated on everything Throne of Glass?
Visit the Throne of Glass fansite!

Because of all the bad-assery present in this book, I just:

Because CELAENA be like:

Leaving me like:

Let me just clear this up. People are rating this book low because they do not like Celaena, saying she's "arrogant" or "self-centred" or "over-confident," first of all, if Celaena was a guy, you'd be head-over-heels for her. But she's a girl and now her story is being over-looked because, instead of drowning in self...more
Kristalia
Final rating: ★★★/★★★★★

Throne of Glass by Fetsch

I am sad to say that i am quite disappointed . I expected Throne of Glass to be as good as it's prequels : The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, The Assassin and the Desert, The Assassin and the Underworld and The Assassin and the Empire. But no, it proved to be far more inferior to those.

I enjoyed in those four a lot, while Throne of Glass generally bored me . I mean, Sarah J. Maas made it so you practically do not understand if you don't rea...more
Amanda
I'm afraid this just wasn't for me. I heard it being sold as GRR Martin's Game of Thrones written for the female audience --- well, as a female audience, I am offended. As an avid reader of the fantasy genre, I am saddened that this is marketed as a fantasy-for-females. This being a YA does not excuse it from being riddled with clichés, painfully obvious foreshadowing, and a ghost of a fantasy world ruthlessly overshadowed by romantic overtones.
Fans of fantasy - actual fantasy - I don't suppose...more
Kat Kennedy
It’s always intimidating to review a book so loaded by high fan expectations and low critic opinions. This book is DIVIDED, my friend. It will turn husband against wife, brother against sister, dog against cat…wait. Well, you get the idea.

So let me break down what I liked and what I didn’t like so that you can decide whether you want to read it for yourself.

I liked… Celeana. This is not a common thing, apparently.

Isn't Celaena the ditziest, most incompetent assassin ever? :D She's all "ohhh, can
Izabela Malan
Are you kidding me? What the hell is this shit? How do you screw up your story quite so badly after starting from an INCREDIBLE premise involving the most notorious assassin in the land - now a slave - being offered the chance to win back her freedom, sort of, in a "to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land" [says the back of my book, conveniently forgetting that (a) right before the final duels, the king specifically states that the competitors "can wi...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Mar 31, 2013 Stacia (out of inspiration) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stacia (out of inspiration) by: Buddy read w/TBD girls
Who here is/was a fan of The Secret Garden? Show of hands? I know there have to be at least a few of you. The reason why I'm asking is that while I was reading Throne of Glass, I was reminded of how I felt while reading TSG. Do you all remember Dickon and Collin and how Mary loved them both? Obviously, it was not in the "wanna get it on" kind of love way (unless Mary (view spoiler)), but she still loved that annoying, whiny, brat Collin enough to want t...more
Audrey
It is more than just a fairy tale. It is epic. Cinderella didn't see this one coming.
Christine Riccio
LOVED THIS BOOK: Here's my full review complete with discussion and theories http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlmj_t...
Blythe
I don't like high fantasy. At all. I don't like how the plots all seem similar to me. I don't like how the worlds - no matter how detailed they might be - seem similar to me. I don't like how I can barely pronounce half of the character's names. I don't like the general feel I have when I'm reading a high fantasy novel.

With all of that being said, I am genuinely surprised I enjoyed Throne of Glass as much as I did. In Throne of Glass, young, and incredibly notorious assassin, Celaena Sardothien...more
Sammi Walker
UPDATE:

So I finished the galley a while ago, and I've been trying to put into words just how much I adore TOG. Epic. Heart wrenching. Beautiful beyond words.

There are a lot of things that are different about the version being published, and the version which was on fictionpress.net, but I feel the changes are going to lead to even more mind blowing plot twists in the novels to follow.

What stayed the same though was Sarah's immense talent. The world is so real, you're sure it must have existed a...more
Cait
Does anyone else find the idea of Cinderella being a kick-ass assassin instead of some whiny chick cleaning floors as amazing as I do?

She could look like this:

Or this:

Maybe even something a little edgier:

Either way, all of them are better than the classic princess that Disney created; the one we all know, loved as children, and now realize was a bunch of poppycock. I'm so excited for this re-creation!!
Kat O'Keeffe
This book was awesome! The main character Celaena is smart, funny, and totally kick-ass. The romantic interests are both great in their own ways--the kind of love triangle I can definitely get on board with. The story ended up surprising me in all the best ways and the world is shaping up to be very cool. There was quite a bit of set-up and world building in this first book, but mostly it just made me super excited to get to the second book and see how this is all going to come into play! If you...more
Natalie Monroe
Once again, it seems like I'm in the minority for this book because I didn't like it. It's such a shame too because I'd heard a lot of good stuff about it. Oh well, maybe it's just me...or maybe because this book just plain sucks.

Let's start off with our protagonist, Celaena who's the 'greatest assassin in the world

Okay, I'm cool with that. But it'd be nice if she could actually prove it because from what I've seen, she's once hell of a crappy assassin. People walk in and out of her room all the...more
Arianna
After much time spent putting it off, I read Queen of Glass on Fictionpress.com a few years ago. Of all the books I have read in my lifetime (which is to say, quite a few) not many have affected me in the same way as this one. As a long time fan of fairy tales retold, I went into the novel expecting what the summary told me I was getting--a retelling of Cinderella.

What I got was that, and much more. To be thoroughly honest, if not for the summary specifically stating 'Cinderella' and the name of...more
Heidi
I won't sugar coat it, I went into Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass predisposed to dislike it. You see, I'd already read two of the four prequel novellas and decided I didn't love the writing, and really didn't love Celaena Sardothien. I was worried that as in the novellas, I would struggle through the first half of Throne of Glass before being caught up in the story enough to sit back and enjoy the action a bit. But after standing in line for an hour to get this book at BEA (Sarah J. Maas was in...more
Whitley Birks
See the chapter x chapter review on my blog.

I honestly don't see the appeal of this book. With most books that have a lot of hype, even if I don't share in it, I get what prompted it. This book? Not so much.

The main character is as annoying a Mary Sue as I've ever seen. Despite her repeated claims of being awesome, she was just your average teenage girl with an entitlement complex. Actually, if she was supposed to be average, she would have been fine, but as the 'world's best assassin' she fell...more
Basuhi
Buddy Read with Komal.

A 2.5, Maybe.

• This book had major plot-holes and unrealistic circumstances/reactions to them.

• It was sowing the seeds for a love triangle.

• I didn't like a single character.
I just didn't.

Celaena - Too rude and brassy.
Crown Prince, Dorian - Too pretentious.
Chaol - Stereotypically irritating.

• The writing was not good at all. Words were repeatedly used and since I always look for artistic writing that invoke feels, I was grossly disappointed.

• But, throughout this, I ne...more
Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
It's like a lesser version of Poison Study, but I rather like it. The premise is altogether familiar to me, being a fan of Maria V. Snyder's series, and I can't help but compare the two. A girl, condemned to die, gets a chance to redeem herself by working for a methodical, calculating man who turns out not to be who he seems. Neither is she who she seems.

I can't help but feel that there is no comparison between the two. I enjoyed this book, I absolutely loved Poison Study. I feel like this is a...more
Team Chaol or Team Dorian! Comment plz! 123 335 7 hours, 47 min ago
Word Game starting on 'Celaena' 137 75 11 hours, 29 min ago
All About YA : Throne Of Glass by Sarah J. Maas---> Starting Sept 5th 13 15 Sep 01, 2014 02:33PM
Hearts And Crowns...: Sardothien September 1 2 Sep 01, 2014 01:06PM
Crazy for Young A...: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas → Start Date: August 29, 2014 4 20 Aug 31, 2014 01:28AM
Throne of Glass F...: Your Playlists 14 58 Aug 30, 2014 09:13AM
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Scarlet (Scarlet, #1)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • Scent of Magic (Healer, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Soulbound (Legacy of Tril, #1)
  • Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Heir of Fire, Book 3, will be out in September 2014). Starting in Spring 2015, her New Adult Fantasy series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, will be published by Bloomsbury as well.

Sarah lives in Southern California, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and...more
More about Sarah J. Maas...
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1) The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3) The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4) The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)

“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.” 1251 likes
“How long was I asleep?" she whispered. He didn't respond.
"How long was I asleep?" she asked again, and noticed a hint of red in his cheeks.
"You were asleep, too?"
"Until you began drooling on my shoulder.”
654 likes