Miranda Reads's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: ya-series, che-103-suggested-reads-fall-2018

Read this one for TCE Book Club!

description

I can survive well enough on my own— if given the proper reading material.
Man oh man, this was a good one

Celaena, an 18-year-old master assassin, spent the last year as a salt-mine slave as punishment for her crimes.

She's slowly wasting away but one day, the prince (along with his guard) comes by to lift her from her bondage.

The king is in need of an Champion and had devised a convoluted plan to obtain one.

All of his trusted advisers submit one criminal to a months-long tournament. The one surviving person endures a few years of servitude in exchange for complete freedom and pardoning of past crimes.
Second place is a nice title for the first loser.
Celaena thinks she's stumbled upon an opportunity of a lifetime but she soon realizes that things are not what they seem.

Someone (or something) seems to be killing off the other champions.

The royal court wants to get rid of her.

And, to top it all, the prince is attracted to her which is putting a far higher price on everything.

Despite all of the chaos and the killings, one thing holds true - at least she has her books.
“Don't you ever do anything other than read?"
I honestly did not expect to like this one as much as I did.

I'm tired of the YA heroine trope

It's to the point where if I read a smidgen about a girl deciding the fate of the world, the book gets tossed on the back-burner-for-eternity pile.

But, when my friend read this series and insisted (and by insisted I mean insisted ) I read it...

I was a bit hesitant. I dragged my feet and I hemmed and I hawed.

I shouldn't have - cause this book rocked. (I also learned that I need to trust my friends more.)

I love it when all the characters literally spend their spare time reading. Makes my heart happy.

And my favorite part to the book? The "bedroom" scene - anyone else with me?
“She moaned into her pillow. "Go away. I feel like dying."

"No fair maiden should die alone," he said, putting a hand on hers. "Shall I read to you in your final moments? What story would you like?"

She snatched her hand back. "How about the story of the idiotic prince who won't leave the assassin alone?"

"Oh! I love that story! It has such a happy ending, too—why, the assassin was really feigning her illness in order to get the prince's attention! Who would have guessed it? Such a clever girl. And the bedroom scene is so lovely—it's worth reading through all of their ceaseless banter!”
Now excuse me, I need to immediately start this sequel

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

Quotes Miranda Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“Libraries were full of ideas—perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”
Sarah J. Maas, Throne of Glass

Sarah J. Maas
“No. I can survive well enough on my own— if given the proper reading material.”
Sarah J. Maas, Throne of Glass

April 3, 2018 – Started Reading
April 3, 2018 – Shelved
April 4, 2018 –
page 10
April 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash I have this book on my want-to-read list, too! I'm interested in reading your review!!!

Miranda Reads I'm so, SO psyched to read it. Angela's Booked keeps saying amazing things about this series - I have a feeling it is going to be awesome :D

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash I just pre-ordered it today, along with books 2-4 of THE RAVEN BOYS!!!!! YAY!!!!

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash Oops, I pre-ordered the 4th book in the Court of Thorns and Roses!!! I have this book already, just haven’t read it yet!!! Sorry for the confusion...I’m at the hairdresser right now :)

Miranda Reads Julia wrote: "Oops, I pre-ordered the 4th book in the Court of Thorns and Roses!!! I have this book already, just haven’t read it yet!!! Sorry for the confusion...I’m at the hairdresser right now :)"

LOL - you are an absolute hoot. I love it :)

I love the raven boys too :D and I'm so psyched to get to the 4th ACOTAR book (someday!).

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash :)

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly You have me intrigued Miranda it is going on my the list!😄

Miranda Reads Beverly wrote: "You have me intrigued Miranda it is going on my the list!😄"

Ohemgee Yes!

Jessica Yay, glad you loved it 😄

Avalon I've been putting this one off for awhile and your review has given me the motivation I need to finally dive in :) Thanks!

Miranda Reads Jessica wrote: "Yay, glad you loved it 😄"

It was SO good!!

Miranda Reads Avalon wrote: "I've been putting this one off for awhile and your review has given me the motivation I need to finally dive in :) Thanks!"

No problem :) It was a fun book. And book 2 is even better!

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim M Nice! I just checked it out, I'm excited!

Angela's Booked Ahhh I love your review! You do need to start trusting your friends more-when will they realize that some people are just always right :P haha and that bedroom scene! It’s one of my favorite scenes in a book ever! I love Dorian so much it hurts 😭❤️😍

Miranda Reads Kim wrote: "Nice! I just checked it out, I'm excited!"

Oh. Em. Gee. YESSSSSS

Miranda Reads Angela's Booked wrote: "Ahhh I love your review! You do need to start trusting your friends more-when will they realize that some people are just always right :P haha and that bedroom scene! It’s one of my favorite scenes..."

I'm sorry for not trusting you! ! ! Thank you for your infinite wisdom 🙂🙂

✩ Ashley ✩ Eeeeeee! I’m so excited you love it! I’d recommend including the prequel (The Assassin’s Blade) on your TBR too ;)

Miranda Reads I just got the prequel from the library. I'm so excited to start it!!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Leila Excellent review Miranda. I have it on my shelves so must move this book further up my btr pile.

Miranda Reads Craig wrote: "Great review Miranda😁 I actually didn't like this book.....as much as i thought i would BUT loved the others and EAGERLY await the coming final book!!😮"

You are right about the series getting better. The end of the second book? ! I'm still blown away!

Miranda Reads Leila wrote: "Excellent review Miranda. I have it on my shelves so must move this book further up my btr pile."

most definitely! It's such a fun series!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Miranda wrote: "Craig wrote: "Great review Miranda😁 I actually didn't like this book.....as much as i thought i would BUT loved the others and EAGERLY await the coming final book!!😮"

You are right about the serie..."

Miranda Reads Ana wrote: "Great review Miranda, I have to read this series."

Definitely :)

Miranda Reads Craig wrote: "Glad you are still having fun Miranda....i am a little confused though haha, where exactly are you in the series??😁

I just finished book 2 and am starting the companion novellas now.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Miranda wrote: "Craig wrote: "Glad you are still having fun Miranda....i am a little confused though haha, where exactly are you in the series??😁

I just finished book 2 and am starting the companion novellas now."

Ahhh i see. The novellas actually helped me stick with the series. I was advised by another user on here to give them a read after saying i disliked the first book....it worked! Hope you enjoy them😁

Tanya Allsopp Halfway through this myself after having suffered through the Aveyard, Red Queen series. Like you, I was expecting a narcissistic, whiny protagonist but have, so far, been very pleasantly surprised and truly enjoying it. I really hope the rest of the book, and consequently, the series match up! 🤞🏻

Miranda Reads Craig wrote: " Ahhh i see. The novellas actually helped me stick with the series. I was advised by another user on here to give them a ..."

Oh I'm so excited now! I tend to have a love it or hate it reaction to companion books. I'm relieved that you liked it a lot :) I'll probably like it too!

Miranda Reads Tanya wrote: "Halfway through this myself after having suffered through the Aveyard, Red Queen series. Like you, I was expecting a narcissistic, whiny protagonist but have, so far, been very pleasantly surprised..."

Oh my gosh. You hated red queen tooooo? I think we just became best friends.

Now, what do you hate more:

1) how everything is ALWAYS Mare's fault
2) how despite having a boring/ replaceable power, somehow Mare is the ONLY ONE who can save the kingdom
3) how Mare ruins everything yet constantly blames everyone else

I can (and have) gone on for hours :p

message 30: by AoF (new) - rated it 4 stars

AoF So glad you enjoyed it, Miranda! It was definitely a great read.

Miranda Reads Kat wrote: "So glad you enjoyed it, Miranda! It was definitely a great read."

Omg. Yes! I just read the second. It was so good

MischaS_ Great review! Glad you liked it. I was a bit disappointed by it but I'll definitely will give a try to the rest of the series. :)

Miranda Reads MischaS_ wrote: "Great review! Glad you liked it. I was a bit disappointed by it but I'll definitely will give a try to the rest of the series. :)"

The second one was definitely better than the first!

message 34: by T.R. (new) - added it

T.R. Rankin Will give this a try then. Usually reluctant when it’s YA lit. Just because it seems to be overrun with the same plot twists and dialogue.

Miranda Reads Tiffany wrote: "Will give this a try then. Usually reluctant when it’s YA lit. Just because it seems to be overrun with the same plot twists and dialogue."

I really had fun with this one. And I've read a lot of YA. Perhaps you would like it. ..?

Olivia Been dying to read this one. You've presented a very compelling case to read it!

Miranda Reads It's literally the second best ya novel I read this year!

message 38: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Thank you for the great review! I'm so excited to dive into this series : )

Christi Youmans I would love to read it but I never have time. I love the author though.

Christi Youmans I really would love to read it.

Amber I enjoyed this too and hope to read book 2 in the future too.

Miranda Reads MJ wrote: "Thank you for the great review! I'm so excited to dive into this series : )"

Definitely check it out!

Miranda Reads Christi Youmans wrote: "I would love to read it but I never have time. I love the author though."

Maybe an audiobook version?

Miranda Reads Amber wrote: "I enjoyed this too and hope to read book 2 in the future too."

Omg yes! This series is so good!

message 45: by prachita soni (new)

prachita soni Hey I love to read books can I be your friend

Whitney I’m curious your thoughts on Celaena as a character. I also enjoyed this book but Maas, for me, does a lot of telling me she’s a “master assassin” while showing her trying on a bunch of pretty dresses and flirting with boys and playing with puppies. Which is fine, you do you, Celaena. But I didn’t see much of the kickass assassin side. I’ll have to put book 2 higher on my tbr and see if this changes. Nice review!

message 47: by Niamh Keane (new) - added it

Niamh Keane I just read your book it great how are you

message 48: by Niamh Keane (new) - added it

Niamh Keane I read your book it is great. Do a diffter one

Miranda Reads Whitney wrote: "I’m curious your thoughts on Celaena as a character. I also enjoyed this book but Maas, for me, does a lot of telling me she’s a “master assassin” while showing her trying on a bunch of pretty dres..."

I liked her personality - i was getting really tired of main characters that took themselves super seriously. So she was a breath of fresh air. That being said, she also grows and develops over time.

Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ Ok, ok, if I do pick ToG up, it will be for that bedroom scene.

« previous 1