Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,618,013 Ratings  ·  26,064 Reviews
For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous ba ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Bloomsbury UK (first published July 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, please sign up.

Cmarks14
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
De Wet Time travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy…moreTime travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy to just let things go without over analyzing them. Not much point spoiling my enjoyment of a book by trying to do science and logic on fictional magic.(less)

Wil Wheaton
Sep 12, 2014 Wil Wheaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm beginning to wonder if there will ever be a Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher who is just a teacher.
Zoë (readbyzoe)
Yup yup yup I love this book
Chris
Feb 09, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, harry-potter
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as Crookshanks fan fiction.

Crookshanks swished his tail back and forth as he crept up the stairs to the boys' bedrooms. He knew the rat wasn't what it was pretending to
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 02, 2016 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

OH MAN. THIS BOOK IS SO MY FAVORITE.

The phone conversation at the beginning between Ron and Uncle Vernon was PRICELESS. I wish so much that that scene had been in the movie.

I was so into reading this book that I failed to take notes, so I don't have many specifics to add except that I love how Crookshanks was basically Sirius's secret agent spy cat friend and I LOVE THAT.

Also, this book demonstrated some very REAL aspects of school. For example,
Saniya
Oct 30, 2011 Saniya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of-course, this book was EPIC! =D
Its Harry Potter now. It has to be epic! *Rolling eyes but smiling widely* xD

Kiki
Jul 13, 2015 Kiki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally one of the best books I've ever read. I was chained to it for two days. I cried and laughed and yelled SHIT when all of the action went down.

I'm such a peasant for judging this series before I had read it. I read the first two and half of this one when I was about 10, before reading was cool, before I had the attention span that reading requires (I know these are kids' books but I was a particularly distracted child). I did not know, Mother Rowling. Forgive my sin, and all the times wh
Delee
Buddy-read with two of my Great Escape gal pals- Stepheny and Ivonne.

photo 8c2dfbee-747b-4477-853c-86940b726771_zpsfet1adlx.jpg

Be on the look out for Stepheny Potthead aka The Book Pusher aka Quick Draw Stepheny aka The Nutty Professor. Last seen running along side the Knight Bus with Harry Potter's invisible cloak. Also Suspected in the kidnapping of fellow Goodreader Jeff and best-selling author Stephen King. Blonde Hair...big green doll eyes, has a frightening maniacal cackle and a tendency to whine when she doesn't get her way. LOUDLY. Considered a
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Feb 03, 2016 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Hayat (being the number one) and everybody else.

“You think the dead we love ever truly leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble?”

*Guess which character said the above quote. (view spoiler)

The following isn’t really a review, more like random thoughts while and after reading the magical book:

1. Aunt Marge deserved it alright. Lol.
2. I’m against hurting kids but could I make a bloody exception with Draco?
3. I enjoyed every class with Prof. Lupin. I agre
Brad
Dec 02, 2010 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that many of you out there haven't gotten around to reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Much like Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch and Lucifer's worldwide bestseller The Holy Bible, you own a copy, it gathers dust, but its never been read. You've been thinking about it, though. You see it there on the shelf and you wonder, "Is this book for me?"

The following checklist will tell you all you need to know about Harry Potter and the Prisoner
Etnik
description

I don't understand why they use time travel in this one,and not in the other books.That would have made things a lot easier.

Jo ★The Book Sloth★

Navessa
Dec 07, 2013 Navessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Still five stars. Love this so much. Can't review. Couldn't even take notes. Watched the movie immediately after finishing. Need next book. Wish I lived in this world. Damn you, Rowling.

(view spoiler)
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
So I was supposed to buddy read this with BB&B , but then Rickman, so I binge read it in a day, and here we are.

Whatever. This is my favorite book in the series. I'll write a full review when I can think about Harry Potter without feeling like I've been sucker punched.

Mohammed Arabey
Nov 27, 2015 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
عندما قرأت هذا الجزء...كنت متخوفا من ان اجد احداث مشابهه للجزئين السابقين..ولكني كنت مخطئا

كلب اسود غريب يظهر لهاري وحده يسبب له الفزع, انه نذير الشؤم

يبدأ هاري عامه الدراسي باغرب الاحداث..منها مقابله مع وزير السحر الذي يقدم استثناء خاص لهاري غير متوقع

مجرم وقاتل هارب من ازبكان..له ماض سئ مع عائله هاري بوتر..ينجح في التسلل للمدرسه مما يسبب فزعا كبيرا

لم يستطع احد الامساك به بالرغم من حراسة المدرسه بحراس افظع من المجرمين نفسهم..يبثون الرعب في التلاميذ..بالاخص هاري

مدرس الدفاع ضد السحر الاسود بالرغم م
pinkgal
Jul 17, 2007 pinkgal rated it really liked it
It was September 1998; the third Harry Potter book had just been released. Pottermania? What's that? It was still unknown except to a vast population of younglings who'd read it... and I fell in love. Oh, how I fell in love. I fell in love with the poor, starved-for-affection, later known to be a twit Harry. I fell in love with the pretentious know-it-all Hermione. I fell in love with the awkward, grew-up-in-his-brother's-shadows Ron... and most of all? I fell in love with the snarky, unplatable ...more
(9 3/4) Gerasimos Kyritsis
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
5 Expecto Patronum stars!

I grew up with Harry Potter. Yes, I am that generation. I was a little bit younger than 11 when the books were released, and when the final book was published I had just graduated high school. I'm also the same age as Daniel Radcliffe and he's only older than me by less than a month. I also have a deathly hallows bumper sticker on my car. So, I think it's safe to say that this series has had a profound effect on me, to the point where I am still a little bit bitter tha
Yasmin (Book Unicorn)
RATING: All the stars

(WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Harry blows up Aunt Marge,

description

the dementors come and take charge,

Lupin is a wolf,

description

the rat's a man, and now the prisoner is at large.

description

They use time travel so they can save

the prisoner of Azkaban,

description

who just so happens to be Harry's godfather.

description

(From Harry Potter in 99 Seconds by Paint, which is awesome BTW ^-^)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is my absolute favorite book of all time. And that's saying a lot.

OK, screw it, I can't review this book proper
Evgeny
Feb 02, 2016 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Monster Book of Monsters

Harry Potter is in his third year of Hogwarts School of Wizardry. His studies at the school are never boring so this time an escaped evil wizard whose sole remaining purpose in life seems to be pay back Harry for Lord Voldemort's humiliation stirs quite an excitement.

Let us stop here for a second because I want to ask myself a following question. Why do I even bother with the plot descriptions? Is it possible to find a modern educated person with even passing interest in literature who never re
Anabel (inthebookcorner)
My favorite in the series so far! I also re-watched the movie yesterday :D
Chelsea
Reread November 2015

It took me over a month to read this, because I have been so busy with college. It definitely got in the way of my reading experience, but I loved POA nonetheless! It has been two or three years since I've read it and I forgot so much!

My only complaint is that there were a lot of references to events in previous books. She explained Quidditch again, told us who Ron and Hermione are, what happened at the end of last school year... And to me, that wasn't necessary.

There are so
Laz
Jan 21, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: magic world lovers
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

Wasn't this epic. Didn't this stun you into silence after reading it.

These are rhetorical. So, don't bother answering because I already know what you'll say. You'll agree with me that this is by far the best Harry Potter novel, and I'll add that I just couldn't put it down, nor did I want to.

This was great, this was stunning, this was grand. I loved it so much. This was a tad bit scary too, considering the previous two novels. I think Harry is growing
♛Tash
Dec 21, 2015 ♛Tash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read 2015 - 5 always magical stars

Let's not talk about how Sirius kept his sanity (most of it anyway) in Azkaban to avenge his best friends.
Ugly Crying: Netflix to Drop Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Red Dwarf Among Others

Or how he asked Harry to stay with him for the summer

And the thing that happened in the later books...

Let's not...
Councillor
Is there any way to write a review on any of the Harry Potter books without doing it injustice? Nearly nobody attempts to create a full review on this series because of 1) its popularity, 2) its huge fanbase and 3) its awesomeness in general. And neither will I do so. The first book was fantastic, although I read it probably ten years too late in my life. The second book was not so fantastic, but still a great book. And the third one ... completely blew my mind.

I wanted to write a review on this
Kelly
Nov 29, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-copy, adventure
Another fantastic read. It's hard to stop once you start this series....*Addictive Much*

Loved it and can't wait to start The Goblet of Fire ; )
Juliana Zapata
Apr 14, 2015 Juliana Zapata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Este es hasta ahora mí favorito de la saga, pase por todos los sentimientos posibles, la final de quidditch lo máximo, Harry me mató de amor, Ron me hizo reír en cada diálogo y Hermione mi favorita de todos los tiempos.

Como siempre, termino de leer estos libros con el corazón lleno de amor y de magia

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Maxwell
Nov 29, 2014 Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2014
Reread November 2014

The third film is my favorite of the series because it's a bit darker than the previous too, and the story gets creepier and moodier with the unfolding of Sirius Black's tale. However, I don't think the third book is my favorite to read. I do love the whole Time-Turner/Inception situation that goes on near the end. And the introduction of Lupin and Black are such great additions to the series (and Buckbeak, but what ever happens to him?).

I'm really enjoying these rereads, an
Camilla
<3 <3 <3
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
FOREVER A FAVORITE.

My heart still hurts for The Marauders.
Bookaholics: February-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 12 8 Feb 01, 2016 09:48AM
Around the Year i...: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, by J.K Rowling 5 30 Jan 31, 2016 03:12PM
This book did not have an appearance from Voldemort. Do you think this is good or bad? 15 149 Jan 27, 2016 08:05PM
Book vs Movie 4 47 Jan 24, 2016 02:22PM
New Writers 3 39 Jan 11, 2016 12:10PM
  • Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2)
  • Brisingr  (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • The Fires of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #3)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)
  • Wise Child (Doran, #1)
  • Kushiel's Chosen (Phèdre's Trilogy, #2)
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain #4)
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)
  • The Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2)