Start by marking “Doctor Sleep (The Shining #2)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Sleep (The Shining #2)

Doctor Sleep (The Shining #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  64,705 ratings  ·  10,216 reviews
Grca_badge_winner
Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot
Published September 24th 2013 by Scribner (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Sleep, please sign up.

Danielle Yes, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not reading The Shining first because it is just so good.
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
76th out of 2,466 books — 12,485 voters
The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
52nd out of 123 books — 2,182 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg
(Disclosure: I work at Stephen King's publisher and read Doctor Sleep in December 2012.)

Get ready. If I can make just one recommendation: whether you're a longtime King fan or fairly new to his stuff, it wouldn't be the worst thing to read The Shining before you get your hands on Doctor Sleep. Seasoned fans know that the movie, while engrossing in its own right, is very different in many ways, and doesn't even begin to plumb the psychological depths that the book does. You could read and love D
Tiya Rosa
A sequel, huh? I didn't feel much for Danny when I was going through The Shining since Jack Torrance pretty much had me by the balls, but I guess - this being a Stephen King book - I can give it a try.

Oh, who am I kidding?

description
Kemper
Remember that psychic little kid in The Shining? Have you ever wondered what he’d be like as an adult after surviving a haunted hotel that drove his drunken father crazy and gave him a case of the redrums? If so, you’re in luck because Stephen King has now told us what happened to Danny Torrance, and he’s just as screwed up from his experience as you’d expect him to be.

Like his father, Dan has grown up to be a bad tempered drunk, and he uses the booze to blot out his psychic powers as he drifts
Dan Schwent
Will Byrnes
There is a boy (now a man) a girl, a band of baddies with a charismatic leader, a coalition of the willing, battles to be fought, supernatural elements and magical powers. Stephen King was at this long before Harry Potter lived under the stairs. He has a preternatural (not to say supernatural) talent for writing kids, and can keep you turning pages, losing sleep, and getting back late to work from your lunch breaks.

We will presume for the purposes of this review that you have read, or at least s
Blythe
That cover is the epitome of perfection.

So perfect that is should be on my shelves.

Like, right now.

I'm waiting.

*stares at bookshelves*

EDIT: I'M GETTING AN ARC OF THIS MY LIFE IS OFFICIALLY MADE
D. Hilliard
Being a big fan of Stephen King, especially his early work, I waited with nervous anticipation for Dr. Sleep. I reread The Shining for the first time in years, just to reacquaint myself with the world of Danny Torrance and the Overlook Hotel. It was on my kindle within minutes of it being released, and I spent the past two afternoons ignoring housework in favor of diving into one of Kings rare sequels.

So how does it measure up?

The correct answer to that is “it depends.”

If you are looking for a d
Delee
I hesitated to read DOCTOR SLEEP for about a minute. I was worried that it wouldn't live up to The Shining, and everything would be ruined. RUINED!

photo 29b07314-4401-4a70-bc94-0c1a75fe7104_zps6c5aafda.jpg

Luckily that was not the case at all. I should have had more faith in Stephen King's love and respect for these characters. I am sorry for ever doubting you Stephen.

photo d5d105f4-017f-42ee-9eb7-5cc0830df130_zpsac9826ba.jpg

A tribe of people called The True Knot travel around the United States- by RV- in search of children with "The Shining". These children have what The True Knot feeds off, something they c
Dave
Dan: Hi, I was a total scumbag, meaning I once swiped a few bucks, a horrible horrible thing for which I'll never forgive myself, and, oh yeah, almost forgot, I used to get in bar fights all the and I might have killed people. Anyway, now I'm all heroic. Seriously, I'm pretty much a saint. I have magic powers and it never even crosses my mind to profit from them.

Abra: Hi, I'm a totally normal teen, you can tell because of all my pop references! Game of Thrones! Fruit Ninja! I'm also all heroic,
Becky
OMG THIS IS MY 2013 BIRTHDAY PRESENT! :D I LOVE YOU, STEPHEN KING!

-------

After Goodreads decided to unveil their new censorship policy regarding author behavior reviews and shelves (sorry, let me be accurate: NEGATIVE author behavior reviews and shelves...), I decided that I wasn't going to review on Goodreads anymore. I created a Booklikes account (Meh...) and already have a blog, and I decided that I would review there instead of on Goodreads.

But then this past week happened. Stephen King rel
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

Have you ever caught yourself, maybe while reading a Stephen King book or maybe just at some random moment, wondering whatever happened to little Danny Torrance?

Lucky for all of us Stephen King did too. Doctor Sleep picks up where The Shining left off. It briefly covers the aftermath of the experiences at the Overlook Hotel before fast-forwarding in increments of presidential terms through Dan’s life.

If you have been a reade
Trudi

OCTOBER COUNTRY 2013 - #2

Mr. King and I (or Uncle Stevie if I may) have a loooong history that stretches back decades now. His books have become the soundtrack to my life, the novels I reach for in times of stress and grief in search of comfort and solace. Some may find that weird, considering the man's reputation as America's Boogeyman, but it's never been weird to me.

No one can spin a yarn quite like this man to keep you reading well past dark and into the wee hours of the morning. No one is
Madeline
Although technically a sequel to The Shining (published in 1977 and probably Stephen King's scariest and best book - step to me, It fans), this book should not be approached as such, because in reality the two novels have very little in common besides the central characters. This isn't a bad thing - I just want to warn anyone going into this book to get rid of the "straightforward sequel" mindset. Doctor Sleep is a sequel to The Shining the way American Gods is a sequel to Anansi Boys. (that's n ...more
Fortneyroad.com
Patricia
I'm always filled with anticipation when Stephen King releases a new book. I saw him in person 2 years ago and he did a reading from Doctor Sleep and I've been impatiently waiting for it to be published ever since. Once it released, I totally immersed myself in it for 2 days, both reading the Kindle version and listening to the Audible version at the same time. I devoured it.

I can see such a change in King's works over the years. In 11/22/63 I think we saw a softer, gentler side of him. He was q
Gregor Xane
Is Doctor Sleep as good as The Shining? No. Did I go in expecting it to recreate that experience? No. That would be silly. When you order thin crust pepperoni pizzas from Pizza Hut you expect the same thin crust pepperoni pizza every time. Books ain’t pizza. I would have been majorly disappointed if, in Doctor Sleep, Dan Torrance returned to a newly rebuilt Overlook Hotel with his own family just to find out that he’s his father’s son, then go nuts and try to smash everyone to pieces with a blun ...more
Dystopian
Mike Thorn
I want to preface this review with unabashed adulation for Stephen King, since he has probably informed and encouraged me more than any other writer has. When I was first suspended in junior high school, Pet Sematary transported me away from all those bland and shameful afternoons. King made me care about books and, more importantly, he got me excited about books. I think he is one of the great American authors of his time, and one of the greatest authors in his genre... period. I'm always grate ...more
Amy
I'm going to keep this short and try not to gush over or cry during my review of this book.

As an avid reader - one of those people who connect better to fictional characters than real people - Stephen King is like an old friend. Or a benevolent dealer. Or both. He feels like a member of the family - maybe the kind of older brother who chases you around with a spider until you cry, but then lets you have half his candy bar when you do. I stopped at about a third of the way in, gazed off into the
Robert
I’d like to thank Kemper and Will and Dan and Delee and Trudi for pretty much doing my job for me and writing such excellent reviews that I don’t even have to offer up one of my own. Ha, you crazy bastards, who would I be if I let you off that easily?

King might just be one crazy son of a bitch for calling this a sequel to THE SHINING (I should probably add here that I have never read said novel) when it’s about as much of a sequel as the James Bond films are to one another (especially the Pierce
Wendy Darling
Holy shit. I had no idea there was a sequel!
Alisi ☆ needs to stop starting new books ☆
I loved every minute of it. I love how he tied the Overlook and all that in. Especially the "ghostie" people. It was great.

When I started this, I sort of try to distance myself from The Shining. I really hate sequels. Hell, I hate series too, in general. The only reason why I read series these days is because UF is my favorite genre and non-series books are rarer than a Republican politician being honest. They frustrate me. The characters all tend to be paper thin and the whole series ends up a
Arah-Lynda
There is just something about Stephen King’s writing that is like the feeling I get after having been out there, working in the real world, after a hard day, fighting deadlines and traffic, often snow, lots of that, then finally coming home. I get all toasty, feet warm, comfortable, with his voice in my head.

I soon settled in and listened as he told me the story of Doctor Sleep.

Having read The Shining for the first time just last year, it was still fresh in my mind, so where King took Danny Tor
Christina Wilder
This is a sequel to The Shining.

I'm going to go ahead and repeat that: This is a sequel to THE SHINING.

O_O

It will be epic, either as a success or a failure. I'm pulling for success, of course. Stephen King is the man.
Bark's Book Nonsense
4 1/2 Stars

This audiobook was read by Will Patton, none other than the beautifully raspy voiced Colonel Dan Weaver from Falling Skies! I love that show. Wish more people would watch it. His voice makes you feel like everything will be okay.

Patton does some wonderful things with this work, breathing life into the characters and always managing to suck me back into things if I started to drift a little (sorry, it’s King, one can’t help but drift and if you deny it, well your undies are probably on
El
This is hard for me. It's like reading something by a family member that I don't think is very good, and being asked to give an honest opinion. I'm an honest person, but I still struggle on how to phrase some certain honest answers.

It's partly my fault because I re-read my beloved The Shining just last week, in anticipation of reading this, its sequel. Anyone who tells you that there's no reason to compare the two is out of their mind - tell me what other sequel, trilogy, whatever hasn't had the
Samantha Arroyo
Jun 18, 2013 Samantha Arroyo marked it as to-read
What?

photo tumblr_inline_mk0yn7qnvZ1qfb1ni_zpse2a6f134.gif
Kathryn
My first experience with The Shining was in the latter half of 2012. The story and the writing were top-notch King, and it quickly became my favorite King novel. It actually really frightened me.

When I heard there was going to be a sequel to The Shining, I admit, I was both apprehensive and excited. I was excited because I wanted to know what happened to Danny, what type of person he grew up to be, and ultimately what horrors would await us. I was apprehensive because I was afraid the sequel wo
Josephine Nolan
Revised Full Review (I originally posted a short preview review (which is now below the main review. Full review appears in the zine I edit Films and Books:

If the synopsis for Doctor Sleep convinced you it was simply a scary novel about "psychic vampires who prey on children, and an alcoholic psychic hero who tries to stop them" you would not be entirely mistaken, but you'd have missed the real story. Doctor Sleep is a masterful work of fiction that focuses on the theme of family.

F&B Review
Lou
Does the word Redrum mean anything to you or the phrase The Shining?
If you have no knowledge of these matters i implore you to read The Shining, it has the first appearance of the main character of this novel Danny Torrance.
I revisited The Shining and The Overlook Hotel to be in-check with the ways of Danny and i reviewed it again here.
Reading that would be good for the newbies but as a re-read it may actually have you expect more of the same thing present in that tale.
In the first novel he was
  • Twittering from the Circus of the Dead
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • The Loveliest Dead
  • Seed
  • Naomi's Room
  • Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas, #5)
  • American Elsewhere
  • I Travel by Night
  • The Supernaturals: A Ghost Story
  • Kin
  • Carrion Comfort
  • Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

“FEAR stands for fuck everything and run.” 363 likes
“There came a time when you realized that moving on was pointless. That you took yourself with you wherever you went.” 116 likes