Start by marking “Résumé with Monsters” as Want to Read:
Résumé with Monsters

Résumé with Monsters

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The stories we tell are not limited to monsters and harsh otherworlds. Yet the fiction books in the Borealis imprint certainly belong to a world other than our own. This line encompasses our science fiction, fantasy and horror novels and anthologies.
Published April 1st 1996 by White Wolf Games Studio (first published January 4th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Résumé with Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Résumé with Monsters

Stephen
If you think your boss is a soulless, inhuman, bunny-blowing pile of ass vomit who’s slowly sucking the joy out of your existence with each intake of breath into their smarmy, callous, troll-like mouth...wait until you hear about the monsters Philip Kenan works for in this bizarre, intelligent, Cthulhu-spiced and frighteningly funny piece of corporate horror/dark comedy/satire.

So the math on this book is pretty simple:

Lovecraft + Wall Street + Philip K. Dick (with a dash of William S. Burrough
Bill  Kerwin

A fantasy--sort of a combination of "Office Space" and Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos with the Morlocks of
"The Time Machine" thrown in just for the fun of it. Amusing and horrifying by turns, and always entertaining.

This is one of my favorite kinds of fantasy, with much in common with Marquez' magical realism. At first, the world seems perfectly normal, but little by little you begin to notice the fantastic in your peripheral vision. And then--little by little--it inches closer and closer . . .
Monk
Nov 23, 2007 Monk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovecraft Fans
Shelves: macabre
This book has currently had trouble staying on my shelves. I'm now on my second copy of the book, but it's always on someone else's shelf as I lend it out to anyone who has ever read the Call of Cthulhu or any other Loveraft writings.

The office life is hell, but moreso for the story's protagonist than most people. Philip is... sick. Or that's what his past psychiatrists (court appointed) would tell you. He believes that the corporate entities of the world are not headed by men, but my extra-dime
Glen Engel-Cox
Darrell Schweitzer's blurb for this book reads, "If Woody Allen had ever written a Cthulhu Mythos novel, it might have come out like this." Pithy, short, moderately funny, interesting, and entirely wrong. Yes, there are Cthulhu references here, and yes, Spencer can write with humor, but this is not "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about the Necrinomicon (But Were Afraid to Ask)." If we must resort to comparing Spencer to other writers, Resume with Monsters owes the most to Philip K. Dick ra ...more
Robert
I can't think of any reason not to give this book 5 stars. But then, a book that takes the reader on a darkly humorous trip through a modern world, in which Lovecraft's Old Ones and Elder ones do exist, is right up my alley. But do such terrible creatures really exist, or is our hero simply as mad as Abdul Alhazred? Or, more frightening yet, is it modern workplaces and modern romantic relationships which are, all by themselves, indescribably horrible?

Recommended for those who don't mind the mix
Beth Rosen
I think that this novel is my life.
Charles Dee Mitchell
Philip Kenan has moved to Austin, Texas, in an effort to win back his estranged girlfriend, Amelia. Since at Micromeg, their previous workplace, he once tied her up and hid her in a mail cart, she is not inclined to get back together. But Philip was saving Amelia and indeed the world from the incursion of The Old Ones – Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, Dagon, and rest of the slimy crowd from the works of H.P Lovecraft. Unfortunately for Philip, his heroic efforts look remarkably like complete mental breakd ...more
Duane
The first time I read this I was confused and rather disappointed. The book came to me with high praise from people I trust for their opinions, and I thought "Hmm, well maybe it's just one of those things." Then I read it again. Inside the back cover is a reference to a review by Joe Lansdale, where he likened it to a Philip K Dick novel, and this got me into the thing again. I've never read any other books or stories by this writer, so I don't have that as a point of comparison. It is difficult ...more
Tripp
William Browning Spencer is an underappreciated novelist in the vein of Tim Powers, James Blaylock and Jonathan Carroll. He writes stories of men, often writers, beset by terrible supernatural forces. I loved his Zod Wallop and I recently got my hands on a copy of his Resume with Monsters. When I say underappreciated, you should read that also as out of print. The status of his book would certainly vex his main character, Phillip Kenan, who fights through dead end job after dead end job in hopes ...more
morglea
David
I love Charles Stross's humorous spy-meets-Cthulhu-meets-bureaucracy novels, and this is like that, only with no espionage and a lot less focus. It's brilliantly written, with a good line on every page and not a single bad sentence I could find. But it does take a while to find its footing, and on my White Wolf Press Edition (486 huge-type pages), it didn't really kick into high gear until 200 pages in. But I can't dismiss it outright, because there's frankly nothing else like it (except Charles ...more
Rick Powell
Awesome book! If you can picture the movie "After Hours" but filmed with Lovecraftian monsters. A quirky, comedic novel that keeps your interest and is quality writing. Mr. Spencer has done a great job with the characters in this novel and I am surprised I have not read this sooner.
Shelley Stoehr
Best. Hilarious. Thought provoking. Mostly hilarious. Great narrator
Sam
Not for everyone, this book is just WEIRD.

The writing is frequently plodding and rambling, but that is in keeping with the mindset of the main character, whom you're never actually certain as to whether he is insane as everyone who cares about him seems to think, or is in fact fighting forces of Lovecraftian* mythos within the drudgery and despair of the time-clock world.

*(it counts as a real word if it successfully conveys meaning to the reader, so deal with it)
Jake
Oct 27, 2007 Jake rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cthulu Mythos fans, people with crap jobs
Shelves: horror
This is an enjoyable take on the Cthulu mythos. I particularly appreciated it the correlation between outer gods, great old ones, and corporate America. It's a funny and entertaining book as long as you don't think too hard about it. Once you really think about it it is pretty dark. None the less, its a lot of fun. Recommended to jaded and crazy people everywhere.
Patrick
This book is rarer than rare. I got rid of my copy while immigrating thinking it would be easy to replace and boy was I wrong.

If you like any of Charles Stross' "Laundry Files" novels or even Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and "Anansi Boys" novels - you'll love this.

It helps to actually know HPL's work as well.
Deforest
This was my Halloween scaaaary book for this year. It was a great choice. I've heard about Spencer for a while but this is the first book by him that I've read. It was a good introduction. If you liked _Atrocity Archives_ by Stross you'd most likely enjoy this book as well.
Matt Holloway
I've read most of his books now, thought this was the best one. A light-hearted, optimistic pastiche of the corporate world.
Freder
What if your workplace was ruled by characters out of H.P. Lovecraft novels? Waitaminnit! You mean it ISN'T???
Kory Callaway
This is one of my favorite books by one of my new favorite authors. All of his books are a blast to read!
Spencer Hall
Cthulian horror meets Office Space. Genre mashup before mashup was hip, and still a favorite book of mine.
Jeremy
overall not great but with a few incredible turns of phrase and 2 or 3 super creepy scenes.
M
This book is NOT SCARY AT ALL. It was really wordy and felt long but had a few funny parts in it.
Nicolas
Meta-lovecraftian pastiche, pretty Delta Green-ish with lots of humour. Awesome!
Sadie
It's a fun read, but gets weaker towards the end.
Mary Good
couldn't finish it
Apoorv
Apoorv marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
  • Ghouls of the Miskatonic (Dark Waters, #1)
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • The Shub-Niggurath Cycle: Tales of the Black Goat with a Thousand Young (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Black Seas of Infinity: The Best of H.P. Lovecraft
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Taint and Other Novellas (Cthulhu Collection)
  • Borderlands 1
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • Cthulhurotica
  • Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors
  • The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales
  • Out Of Space And Time Volume 1
  • World War Cthulhu: A Collection of Lovecraftian War Stories
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • The Book of Cthulhu II
  • Tales from the Nightside
  • Cthulhu's Reign
William Browning Spencer is an award-winning American novelist and short story writer living in Austin, Texas. His science fiction and horror stories are often darkly and surreally humorous. His novel Resume With Monsters conflates soul-destroying H. P. Lovecraftian horrors with soul-destroying lousy jobs.
His story "The Death of the Novel" was a 1995 Bram Stoker Award nominee for Best Short Story.
More about William Browning Spencer...
Zod Wallop The Return of Count Electric & Other Stories Irrational Fears The Ocean and All Its Devices Maybe I'll Call Anna