Start by marking “Learn More, Study Less” as Want to Read:
Learn More, Study Less

Learn More, Study Less

Published (first published January 23rd 2014)

Start your review of Learn More, Study Less
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Some useful ideas, a lot of trivialities.

Takeouts:
- Holistic learning
- Associations (the more associations there are between ideas, the more accessible these are)
- Constructs

Q:
A holistic learner wouldn’t take such an organized approach to storing information
(which might explain why so many smart people have horrible organization skills).
Instead holistic learners connect everything. A derivative isn’t just a formula, it’s a
feeling, an image and you can relate it to flying a supersonic jet. (c)
Q:
A
mkh
Mar 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People with way too much money to spare
Recommended to mkh by: Scott Young's aggressive advertising
Shelves: study-help
Not worth the $39 CAD I spent on this e-book.

First of all, I just want to say that I respect Scott Young. He's a smart guy - or at least that was what I was made to believe when reading about his personal achievements.

Learn More, Study Less caught my eye because, well, let's face it: it's nice to do well academically and not put in so much effort, right? Young has some pretty, glossy methods that he has outlined in the book.

But that's all those methods are: glossy and pretty on paper. But are th
Nicholas
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Introduction

I first came across the productivity blog of Scott H Young while browsing through the answers to this Quora question: What learning strategies do people who are "quick learners" follow? Young was notably mentioned several times by top commentators due to his achievement of completing an entire 4-year MIT curriculum for computer science in 1 year without taking any classes.

According to one commentator, "[m]any of the techniques he employs and recommends, such as the Feynman Techn
Charlene
Nov 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
I went to a top university, but I still wanted to be more efficient with learning. That's why I picked up this book.
I have to admit, however, that his methods, or so-called tactics, do not apply to me, or to my field of study. He is a visual learner, and he uses metaphors in learning math, which is something I'll never get to understand and utilize.
Noura Alshamsi
May 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
ridiculous and meticulous details that bored me
素心
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
it's not of great use to me. ...more
SilverReader
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
It was ok. Could have been way cheaper though
Some interesting stuff, but his Rapid Learner product far better and far more effective.
Fleur_de_soie
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The whole is trying to sell holistic learning. Learn more with holistic learning, while study less with holistic learning.

The book combines with the author's own learning experience and almost all major theories and techniques in the field of productivity and personal development. So you can have a quite clear view of them all. But I personally feel there should be more details. Reading the book is kind of like reading a long abstract. Perhaps it supposed to give you a clue and you can go deep i
Mahmoud Haggui
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kindly note, this ain't meant to be an objective review. Frankly speaking, this books touched something inside my mind . and I began to notice something different about myself and people who are even smarter than me in one way or another. okay let's start. since I was young I have been occupied by the idea of self -learning and I searched for a suitable alternative to fill up this awful gap. I was literally done struggling with the drawbacks of the poor education we have in Egypt. -yea we are st ...more
Chuan Qin
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have to say, most of those tactics are classic and old-fashioned. I went to top universities and I found my research/projects difficult. Well, I like his theory but I don't appreciate his tactics in second part of this book. I spent like 3hrs of skimming this book, and I recommend this book to a beginner, but definitely not to anyone who already explored study skills. ...more
Dio
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ja-li, ebooks-i-own
It did open my mind like no other book did , in terms of acquiring new skills ,
learning new things and grow open new horizons,
so I give it 5 Stars , If i could i would give 10
5 stars for an amazing,
10 stars for a life changing book :)
Hector Hu
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book introduce many ways to learn more.It's an awesome book.
The deepest thought that still surround in my head is as follow:
a.Have a break once a week.
b.Save your energy.
c.Focus on what you are doing.
d.Learn new technology by project.
Sense361
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: studies
This book will be helpful to people who are interested in learning and learning fast. The methodologies and stratagies are given in a strait way and are very compact and easy to fallow.
Mohammad Awd
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pattern and mindset, not just some instruction!
Sindy
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
3 because I don't know how to give a 2.5.

First half of the book: numerous theoretical concepts.

Latter half of the book: practical skills and Scott Young's personal ways to study

I read this book right before high school in 1 day. But notice that it's a book with very little content, and I often stopped to think what he means by saying all that. Like he mentioned in the book you can skip chapters. It took me a few months to realize that lot of things are very hard to accomplish even if they seem
Gregory
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's December, and that's about the time of year where I get a boost of motivation to tackle some learning projects. As my first step each year, I read something on learning how to learn.

In Learn More, Study Less, Scott does a fantastic job of breaking down the process of learning and the different types of information, introducing his holistic learning strategy, and offering tactics for approaching each aspect.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking to learn anything new.
Renuka Prasad Yarasu
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tianhang Hu
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an okay book. The writing is not very structured. It helps me think how I got good grades in some of my math classes (math & econ double major) when I did like crap in my midterms, which usually took ~30-35% of my grades.

Some good approaches and extra readings introduced. Overall, definitely not bad.
Gillian
Scathing online reviews for how awful this Mandarin translation was put me off before I'd even started. I could tell the translator had added content in parts too which I really disliked. Still giving two stars because I liked some of the concepts introduced here and I will read the original English version in the future. ...more
Christine Chew
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book’s highlight is not in how to increase productivity. It is about systematic knowledge acquisition. The author breaks down each stage and helps me understand my weak spot.
I wish this book provided more applications. Nonetheless, a good read about how to absorb large amount of information effectively.
Hitesh Goenka
Mar 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Most of the tips are well known.

It is a poorly written book making it uninteresting to read in the first place. It is not worth spending money. The author seems to be craving attention more than anything else.
Wendy He
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Needs to read again. This book is more like a dictionary. You go to it again and again to address your questions. It’s hard to improve from the first read.
Also some parts of the book were pretty boring but other parts were inspiring for sure.
Artemis Zhou
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
a practical masterpiece
changed my cognition of "learning"
Albert Zhan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
pretty useful tips that helps on learning and self-education.
Viet
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Learn more, study less contains valuable techniques to learn effectively.
Heng Wang
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a tool, it will be meaningless if you don't use it. ...more
Jack Ohala
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not so helpful
Yanny
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: student
I think this learning approach is very suitable for student.
Shahnaz
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
there's one key i took from this book: the use of emotion, viscerality and metaphor to learn. ...more
Antiquus
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very interesting read, it can help you understand how your mind perceive information, including your senses and emotions with the aid of humor and creativity. It talks about how information varies and what kind of different approaches (understanding & exploration) one must carry out to better understand the idea.

Different ways on how to acquire information, how you process them inside your head, ways to explore and debug, and finally how to apply it to your daily life are being ta

• Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning
  • Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked
  • The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal
  • How to Win at College: Surprising Secrets for Success from the Country's Top Students
  • How to Live on 24 Hours a Day
  • 琅琊榜
  • A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)
  • The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less
  • Learning How to Learn: How to Succeed in School Without Spending All Your Time Studying; A Guide for Kids and Teens
  • The Curated Closet: A Simple System for Discovering Your Personal Style and Building Your Dream Wardrobe
  • Minimalism: Essential Essays
  • The Human Brain: A Guided Tour (Science Masters)
  • Professional Troublemaker: The Fear-Fighter Manual
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
  • Procrastination: Why You Do It, What To Do About It
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • Scatterbrain: How the Mind's Mistakes Make Humans Creative, Innovative and Successful
  • What Mad Pursuit
Scott Young is the author of Wall Street Journal and National best selling book: "Ultralearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition, and Accelerate Your Career".

Scott has been a prolific writer on his blog since 2006 where he writes about learning, productivity, career, habits and living well. He is know for documenting learning challenges such as the learning a 4-year MIT computer scien

News & Interviews