Start by marking “Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life” as Want to Read:
Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life

Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life

In Getting Results the Agile Way, author J.D. Meier introduces Agile Results(R)-a simple system for meaningful results! It's a systematic way to achieve both short- and long-term results in all aspects of your life-from work to fun. It offers just enough planning to get you going, but makes it easy to change your course as needed. It also provides fresh starts for your ...more
Published October 6th 2010 by Innovation Playhouse

To ask other readers questions about Getting Results the Agile Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Results the Agile Way

Start your review of Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life
heidi
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, reviewed
This book is very fractal. It introduces a concept and then circles back to it a couple times in increasing depth. It's a logical structure, but you end up feeling like you've read everything a couple times. Perhaps this is better for readers who skim.

My other overall comment is that most productivity systems written out of software make me resentful because they assume that my home-life schedule is something that can be managed. I think I speak for a lot of working parents when I say that my
Erin
Dec 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: can-t-get-into
Seriously? The guy needs a better editor. The whole book is a mess of buzz words. Examples: "unimportant items slough off.....you'll rehydrate the when needed." Rehydrate? Rehydrate. "Find a way to flow value...chunk your results down." I have no clue what he means. "Create glide paths". "Identify hot spots". "Create scannable outcomes". "Threats" "levers" "actionable"
This is a Dilbert cartoon. I suspect the book could be rewritten in one chapter if the editor asked him to use regular, that is,
Jon Bash
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book had a number of tips that I found really helpful in terms of getting into an outcome-oriented mindset, but...

1. It's horrendously written. Full of corporate-buzzword-salad, full of overly wordy repetitively verbose redundancy and cliches (I don't even want to count how many times he talks about "seeing the forest from the trees", or how many times he just repeats nearly the exact same material without actually adding any new information).
2. I didn't actually find it very useful in the
Bill
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
My best friend is a person who is, to all appearances, effortlessly organized. When we were roommates in college, he was up early, finished his homework in a demanding scientific discipline (while studying Chinese on the side) before dinner, and went to bed promptly by 9:00 p.m. after a leisurely dinner and a couple of hours of science fiction. This book is not for him.

Being the opposite of my best friend on the organizational scale, much of my life has been spent on a journey to bring life into
Suhrob
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Productivity systems are very personal, one has to sample, experiment and combine until arriving at something that works for him/herself, the tasks at hand and temperament. Therefore the star rating here is not necessarily informative. Your millage might vary.

Meier's book seems to work for me - the main reason is that it is a really small extension to my existing workflow, addressing something I was missing. As for the "tactical" side of my work management, I think I'm quite happy with that.
Artur Matos
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: productivity
People organisationally challenged like myself need to have a system to keep ourselves on track. For the past few years I have been doing GTD, which has been tremendously helpful but I feel it's lacking in some respects, mostly on setting priorities and ensure things are done. The system presented in this book is quite different from GTD and in some sense diametrically opposed, the most notable difference being that you are forced to think about outcomes for the day, month, and year, versus GTD ...more
Joe Cotellese
I want to give this book 5 stars. I just can't. I stumbled upon Agile Results while reading the great book Creating Flow with OmniFocus. Checked out the website, like what I read and purchased the book.

I could have stuck with the website.

The book is poorly edited, extremely repetitive and felt derivative. Some of the concepts I had heard before by different authors. That part isn't too bad because he does bring them together in an interesting way.

The big takeaway for me was the Rule of 3.

I'd
Lilit Yenokyan
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
This books would have been more suitable as a corporate workshop handbook on time management rather than a serious read. The same concepts, ideas even sentences kept re-occurring all though the book. Everything could have been summarized in 30 pages. I found chapter 10 - results frame, personas and pitfalls the most interesting part.

I heard about this book while working at Microsoft, and could "feel" the corporate approach of the author who has been a program manager at Microsoft for many years
Little Nook
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an eye-opener for me. It really changed the way I systemized my life. For the longest time I've followed the GTD method, and while it's still effective, there are parts of it that made me feel GTD was more effective as a project management system and curating information for projects as opposed to a full-fledged system to organize a lifestyle. Meier's book is a conclusive approach, thought at times it feels slightly overwhelming at the amount of information that is required to set up a ...more
Heslei
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although it repeat itself, there are a lot of good tips.
I'm putting into practice to do the worst things first and to delivery three things per day.
Rosie
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This book gives you three ways to read it - as a guide, cover to cover, or as a template, or take it for a test drive. I read it as a guide. I read it a few pages a night over a long period of time and I tried to use some of the basic ideas presented in my life, but never adopted the full structure.

I am an Agilist at work, mostly using Scrum, and I use personal kanban a lot in my daily work and personal life. This book presents a fairly complicated structure for being Agile in your life. Some
Samuel
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, how-to
I liked it a lot, and I feel like it is a much better fit for me than any of the other productivity systems which I have tried. At first glance, looking at all the various elements to it from the Rule of 3, to the learning sprints and everything in between it can seem somewhat daunting, but only if you attempt to implement it all at once and/or in exactly the same fashion as the author, which he very specifically encourages you not to do.

Start small and add from there one element at a time
Tony Fonseca
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the most important book Ive read on productivity as a lifestyle of habits, rather than a fad of buzzwords

This is one of the most important books Ive ever read about real productive systems, as a lifestyle.

Whats so significant here, is that its about the interlocking and compounding systems that are composed of habits you create at different scales.

This is something that is missing in just about every other method Ive encountered, including GTD. Its not to knock gtd or other systems, it
Eperdu
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I really think this book has some great concepts and they are applicable to a variety of jobs.

I find the book itself overly repetitive and that makes it feel confusing. I found it difficult to get started even though the author said it was easy as just making a list of your top three outcomes.

In my case, I have a lot of projects and I feel overwhelmed with it all. My challenge is in capturing it all and then breaking it done. Its in Detroit wining my outcomes and not my tasks. Thats
J Crossley
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Redesign Your Processes

I really found this book helpful. It is full of information. Sometimes I get bored when there are a great number of stories to illustrate the principles that the author is speaking about. This was just right.

The author structured the book so that you can understand and remember the concepts. At the beginning of each chapter, he would say what you would learn. Then he gave the concepts. At the end of each chapter was a summary.

The Rule of Three was great to learn. I
Mihaelaborta
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book describes systems and practices for getting to the outcomes one aspires to, while also making sure that their life as a whole is balanced and the 'right' attention and care are allocated to all the realms that make up a functioning life.

The ideas and systems presented seem to be rooted in a lot of common sense and distilled through experience and a lot of self reflection. Thus, I personally value most of them.

The evident caveat that the book has though is that it is pretty repetitive.
Shymon Shlafman
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is complete waste of time. It's the purest example of a book pumped up by endless repetitions and meaningless phrases, just to make it voluminous. For example, the author introduces the concept of "life Hot spot:mind, body, emotions, career, financial, relationships, and fun" and repeats the whole phrase dozens of times throughout the book.
Another striking example is the following "pearl" : "One of the best ways to make the most of any situation is to ask yourself, 'How can I make the
Angel Arturo
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good summary of many different techniques I've read about through the years. I've thought of making a hybrid productivity system a long time ago since I read "Getting Things Done" to update it to this analog world.

This is exactly what I had in mind. The book suffers due to lack of depth but it summarizes neatly all the things I want to build on the system. It can be more cohesive and synergistic but this is still a good intro.

I suggest reading this cover to cover, then going to The 7 habits of
Lori
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
This system works for me. I use it daily. I learned from his 30 Days of Getting Results website. http://www.30daysofgettingresults.com I thought reading the book would help. Far from it. The first half of the book over-explains his process; the second half of the book is nothing more than lists full of redundancies. If you don't want to despise the system, skip the book altogether.
Shady Abd El-Aal
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
In general, I am attracted to applying SW engineering or computer engineering concepts into real life situations. This book starts out good while discussing the planning methods and the friday reflection concept which I liked. However, it then moves on to useless talks about techniques and motivation,...etc.. I felt I am just reading an endless self help book.
Kam
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
For someone who's trying to create a system for productivity, there were some useful tips that I was able to apply such as the Rule of 3, and the templates that were provided.

What made me NOT finish the book though is that it contains a lot of repetitive and redundant ideas that I just decided to skim the rest of the book.
Chester
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The more you get in the habit of making time for whats most important, the more youll get great results.

If youre not driving your day and time, then someone else will.

Do the worst things first. Sometimes theyre the most important, and then you wont dread them all day.
Sunil Nair
Nov 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Sorry. Just didnt like it. Its way too Systems focused than Id like... Id like a simpler way please. My lifes too overloaded already! It seems like a cross between GTD and some super complicated productivity system out there.

Im going back to ZTD (zen to dine)! :-/
Tathagat Varma
May 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Pretty foundational self-help book that brings a closed-loop management to one's own life. Very dry and draggy for something that is so commonsensical (though I also agree that despite it, people don't change their behavior and start owning up their career and life choices).
Edward Robert
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It was pretty repetitive, but it does have a lot of good examples to live your life in an agile manner. I would have liked more examples of what some of the daily, week, monthly visions would have looked like.
Kevin Hozak
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Good as a reference for people who have read about these ideas in other books. But this would probably be a dull read for anyone just getting into personal productivity. Many lists of ideas without much explanation. Lots of repetition.
Finlay
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thinking-skills
A mix of Stephen Covey, Getting Things Done, and agile development. Some people complain it's repetitive, but I think it's more iterative -- you can skim to the parts that resonate for you, and then read deeper, and some points will be reiterated there.
Jaz
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ideas in this book and the methodology are sound, but the book was SUPER repetitive. It could have been a 25 page pamphlet.
Charlotte Allen
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Super generic advice.
Sarah Parsons
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Repetitive and could have been stronger with more examples, but overall some really useful actionable advice to reframe how we think about tasks vs outcomes.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and Business of Life
  • Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long
  • Off the Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More Done
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
  • Willpower Doesn't Work: Discover the Hidden Keys to Success
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work | Navigating Life
  • The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life
  • The Future of Capitalism: Facing the New Anxieties
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers
  • Stick with It: The Science of Lasting Changes
  • How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading
  • Smarter Faster Better: The Secrets of Being Productive in Life and Business
  • The 12 Week Year
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life
  • Asking the Right Questions: A Practical Guide to Understanding and Applying the Bible
  • Justification Reconsidered: Rethinking A Pauline Theme
  • The Blue Zones of Happiness: A Blueprint for a Better Life

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »