Start by marking “The Science of Accelerated Learning: Advanced Strategies for Quicker Comprehension, Greater Retention, and Systematic Expertise” as Want to Read:

Make learning: painless, exciting, habitual, and self-motivating. Absorb info like a human sponge.
We’ve never been taught how to learn, and that’s a shame. This book is the key to reversing all the misconceptions you have and making learning fun again.

Scientifically-proven, step-by-step methods for effective learning.
The Science of Accelerated Learning is not a
Published December 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Accelerated Learning, please sign up.
Shamim Hafiz No, there isn't any charts in the book. The Ebook should suffice and you can even consider the Audible version.…moreNo, there isn't any charts in the book. The Ebook should suffice and you can even consider the Audible version.(less)

Start your review of The Science of Accelerated Learning: Advanced Strategies for Quicker Comprehension, Greater Retention, and Systematic Expertise
Patti
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m particularly interested in learning and have read books by researchers Carol Dweck, K. Anders Ericsson and others; I’m also an active self learner and former college instructor. I’d hoped to come away from this with different tips or strategies at least, but was disappointed to see nothing new.
Rob Cooper
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Great summary - could be more actionable

Good summary of various thoughts, processes and patterns for learning effectively. Personally would liked to have seen more detail on *applying* everything discussed.
Scott Wozniak
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very well written book on what actually does and does not accelerate learning. I especially love that it corrects some common misunderstandings about learning (such as cramming and learning styles) and it has practical methods to apply. The only reason it’s not five stars is that it’s short. That might be a bonus to many, but I know that it left out some critical points in an effort to stay short. Great starting place, though.
Milan
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
A book on 'Accelerated Learning' by Peter Collins but unfortunately nothing new to learn in this one. A few ideas which I had learnt in other books but are repeated here.

1. Learn in small blocks, rest is important.
2. Retrieval practice is important for memory.
3. Active learning - use the Feynman technique.
4. Use ‘spaced repetition’.
5. Make learning play.
6. Have a growth mindset, don't get trapped by mistakes.
7. Use deliberate practice to build expertise.
8. Teaching is the best form of learning.
Emil Petersen
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is short and to the point. Not all that chit chatting, which is usually irrelevant. I like that a lot. It is not the first book I read about learning, but I would say that this is a good summary of all the things that are worth remembering on that subject. There are eight or so chapters, where each could easily fill an entire book in itself. This is the skimmed version with the key takeaways.
Sebastian Godoy
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to improve your learning skills.

Very easy to follow and to immediate apply to day to day challenges and situations. Clear and direct tips to apply.
SilverReader
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
When i had read "A mind for numbers" i thought it covered pretty much everything. It's incredible how much he manages to cover in just 35k words. Even adds very practical stuff to the learning process. 0 fluff, straight to the point. Already checking couple of his other work.
Could just elaborate a little more on techniques and add more details to the methods.
David
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
First of all, I would consider myself a quite experienced person in the fields covered in this book. Therefore, I got confronted by topics I already was familiar with. But still, I would like to give a brief overview about the things I came across while reading.

Pro:
- The book contains multiple important facts, especially at the beginning. You'll learn that it is important to not overdo your learning, i.e. taking breaks and not exceeding the 50min mark per learning schedule. You'll also get a bri
Johnny
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great and helpful book if you want to learn about learning. There are many references to studies and examples so that you can find out more about those parts you are interested the most. Many of our learning habits are counter-productive and often our hardest believes have no bearing in science. This book addresses those myths and gives examples on how to do it better. However, I had hoped for more actionable advice than it offers.
Antonio Rodriguez
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Just ok

Fairly obvious summary of the stuff you can read in self improvement blog posts by in large. Maybe good for ppl that have never read gladwell or such.
Ricky
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should receive more highlights that it deserves. Every topic of the books is simple and beautifully structured to enhance learning.
Techniques like productive failure, recalling, asking why, and concept learning are not new, yet Peter has summed them up in a way that all of them can be done in daily settings.
Lemon_leaf
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book provides both scientific study proofs and practical methodologies of how to learn quickly and master something, any skill or knowledge. It uses learning science or literal classes as examples but I think the methods would also be expanded to anything you want to learn or master, such as new knowledge at work, an instrument or other things. It is a little bit general, for different skills, you might want to find their specific ways to learn. For example, the tricks to learn a language m ...more
Devika
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
An Energizer

Though I'm yet to actively implement any of the strategies that Hollins has mentioned, I see the immense value in the steps he has clarified down for the lost learner. He has helped pinpoint more than a few failures in my present learning strategy, as I begin to prepare for a really tough examination and am often in danger of demotivation and depression. Thank you, Peter, for that.

Another thing I noticed was that there was no smug twaddle in the book. The tone is more of a teacher o
Ed
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Conversation on the Modern Key to Success

I read this book in supplement with Accelerated Learning by Leonard Bell and found this book much more enjoyable in comparison. It goes over how not to learn, how to be better in acquisition of knowledge, obstacles, and ways to test how deep our knowledge really runs.

Leonard Bell's book was more rigid and I am skeptical on if playing classical music really improves learning ability. Peter provides a better overview of the whole process with several leads
Jonas
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is pure gold. It is short and to the point, packed with many explanations and much scientific information about the topic of learning. Peter writes straightforward about facts, studies and learning methods one after another. This book is a good entry point if you are curious to learn about how we learn. I also recommend the free Coursera course "Learning How To Learn" (or the book "A Mind Full Of Numbers") from Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski. Peter also quotes some other ...more
Marinos Av
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It certainly is a go for someone who want to take a first approach of systemizing his learning and cutting out all habits (and by 99% you need to do both) as it uses palpaple language and totally easy descriptions to talk to you and improve you learning. I met mostly concepts like interleaving, spacing or a vague description of memory in contrast to the analogy (Bob Bjork) that memory is not as a box but a scaffolding structure (the more knots the more place is there to put things). It says memo ...more
Eula C Gaddis
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book is an easy read. Entertaining at times as well as eye-opening. Many of the principles and techniques are not necessarily new. I appreciated that the author provided a constructive critique of several so-called techniques for learning that box in the learner. I especially appreciated that the author highlighted several learning techniques that are under criticism without giving his personal opinion.
Jessica Power
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that I will ensure my kids read before starting school! It was a quick easy read with actionable and easy steps. I love reading books like this, I can apply what I learnt instantly into my life or business. If you are someone who loves learning or teaching, then this is a must read for you!
Ruchir Gandhi
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book encompasses numerous useful methods of learning which should taught to every teacher, child , parent and organisation.
Learning is a life long process which will help us to become better version of self and this book helps to navigate this journey to time-tasted and easier paths.
Implementation of this methods will be challenging but will worth the effort.
Tanya
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Source for Instructors

While I did not agree with the 20/80 rule as outlined in this book, the other topics are valuable for educators at all levels. It provides a great reminder and highlights common myths we sometimes take for granted as true. Must read and keep for reference.
Shobhit
This is a good introduction of science of Learning. This is a small book. Go for it if you haven't read any other book about this topic. Although, "Make it stick" and "How we learn" are more enjoyable reads.
Read it if you want a quick introduction of science of learning and you like thin books.
Simon Hohenadl
This book felt like a short summary of the central points of some classic books (Dweck, Kahneman etc.). I've taken away a few new things, but overall, it doesn't live up to its title for me. If you are new to learning, it might just be the right entry point. ...more
Rick Yvanovich
An easy to listen to book. There are enough new concepts in here to help accelerate your learning. Yes you may have heard of several of the tools and tactics mentioned in the book before and the way they are strung together will still help you learn faster.
Ernest Wallace
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read for college students.

I wish i read this book when i started undergrad. This is a very easy to read guide on how to learn which is overlooked by so many. It's a must read of you're going into a stem major.
thebookslayer
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book is like a summary of all the learning tricks. This book just gives you heads up on how to take notes and remember them. It gives some idea about how the learning should be done. The book could have been elaborate but serves the purpose.
Michaell Cavllaro
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another a Great a Book in a Series of 12

Peter Hollings sheds new light on the never ending subject of learning how to learn. I always wondered how to develop good study habits, this book leads the way.
Shamim Hafiz
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Good content in condensed format

The author provides useful concepts. Although, I knew few of them from personal experience but did not have a name to refer them. The book added more vocabulary to my knowledge base.
Wenchen
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
serve a good intro to starter like middle school or before college. Not too many in depth content.
Thomas Cooper
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Pareto principle

The chapter on the percentage of skills, knowledge and even the words we use to demonstrate proficiency is far lower than we think.

Let that sink in.
Ken Hamner
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth reading.

• Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body
  • The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • The Art Of Thinking In Systems: Improve Your Logic, Think More Critically, And Use Proven Systems To Solve Your Problems - Strategic Planning For Everyday Life
  • Limitless: Upgrade Your Brain, Learn Anything Faster, and Unlock Your Exceptional Life
  • The Art of Impossible: A Peak Performance Primer
  • We Need to Talk: How to Have Conversations that Matter
  • Turning Pro
  • What Women Want In A Man: How To Become The Alpha Male Women Respect, Desire, And Want To Submit To
  • To-Do List Formula: A Stress-Free Guide To Creating To-Do Lists That Work!
  • What Happens Next Changes Everything
  • The Power of Concentration
  • Love Is Not Enough
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • Memory: Simple, Easy, and Fun Ways to Improve Memory
  • Summary: The Now Habit - Neil Fiore: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
  • How to Make Sh*t Happen: Make more money, get in better shape, create epic relationships and control your life!
  • The Magic of Manifesting Money: 15 Advanced Manifestation Techniques to Attract Wealth, Success, and Abundance Without Hard Work (Law of Attraction Book 2)
Peter Hollins is a bestselling author, human psychology researcher, and a student of the human condition. He possesses a BS in psychology and a graduate degree.