Start by marking “One False Move (Myron Bolitar, #5)” as Want to Read:
One False Move (Myron Bolitar, #5)

One False Move (Myron Bolitar #5)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  15,988 Ratings  ·  689 Reviews
Brenda Slaughter, the star player of the Women's Professional Basketball Association, is getting threatening phone calls. Norm Zuckerman, owner of the league, convinces sports agent Myron Bolitar to protect Brenda by promising to deliver her as Myron's next big client. Brenda, who claims she doesn't need protection, enlists Myron to find her missing father--the assumed sou ...more
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about One False Move, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Heather Mooney
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Phrynne
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am steadily working my way through this series and here I am at number 5. Myron remains one of my favourite book characters but Win comes a close second! I loved the banter between them in this book and the way they operate as a team. The ending was very sad and made me want to go straight to number 6 just to find out how our hero copes:)
Brenda
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before Myron Bolitar was introduced to Brenda Slaughter he said he wasn’t a bodyguard, so wouldn’t take on the job of keeping her safe. But once he saw her, he agreed without a lot of hesitation. A very intelligent young woman, Brenda was a basketball star – Myron represented sports stars in his business, MB SportsReps, so it made sense. No one needed to know of his added role with her. As Myron learned about Brenda’s tragic past, he determined there was more to her problems that it seemed – and ...more
Corey
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One False Move is in my opinion, the best Myron Bolitar entry yet!! Myron and Win just get better and funnier! Parts had me laughing out loud with their funny remarks, and other parts just had me deep in surprise and excitement!

I think the Myron Bolitar series just might be my new favorite murder/mystery series. And of course it makes all the difference that it's written by one of my all time favorite mystery writers, Mr. Harlan Coben!
Julie
One False Move by Harlan Coben is a 1998 publication.

Five books into the Myron Bolitar series, and Coben’s writing really begins to hit a stride!

When Myron is hired to keep an eye on women’s basketball player, Brenda Slaughter, the last thing he ever expected was to find himself dealing with one of the most powerful families in the city, mobsters, and twenty year old secrets.

With Brenda’s freedom, and maybe even her life hanging in the balance, Myron enlists Win to help him find Brenda’s missi
Mark
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2016
I did read this book as a response on several people I do follow and have befriended on the Goodreads site reading installments of this Myron Bolitar character.

So this is the one installment in this series that I found first to read in this series. And to be honest the characters had some great dialogue and some of it was quite funny and intelligent, and other stuff left me somewhat baffled which is the case if you jump into a series somewhere in the middle of that series.

The mystery was somewha
Maureen DeLuca
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another FANTASTIC read by Harlan Coben in the Myron Bolitar series.... If you never read this series- pick up book 1 and keep on reading !
Richard
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
8/10

A solid entry into the Harlan Coben/Myron Bolitar series, without ever truly excelling.

I’ve read quite a lot of Harlan Coben’s work now but the last standalone novel I read, “Hold Tight”, just tipped the scales for me and went into the realms of stupidity and a sense of deja vu to some of his other works. I was less than impressed with that book and decided I needed to leave the author alone for some time.

That was a couple of years ago and I felt it was time to read another of his entertai
Joe Stamber
If you're considering One False Move as your first Harlan Coben novel then don't bother. I would suggest Tell No One as a good choice. If you're considering One False Move as your first Harlan Coben novel featuring Myron Bolitar then don't bother as it's the fifth in the series.

The rest of you must already have read several books in the Myron Bolitar series. What do you want to know? It's Harlan Coben. It's Myron Bolitar. Imagine how you would expect it to be and that's exactly how it is.

Myron
Elena
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of my memorabilia from this session. I liked one of the character's argumentation toward honest animal killing/eating vs. mind-absent non killing (and maybe killing of insects/small animals when plowing... ). Also agreed with the notion that all addicts simply have addictive personalities and the best way to "cure" them is to substitute the harmful habit with the good/less harmful one.
Paul Lyons
David
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With One False Move, Harlan Coben crafts yet another fine Myron Bolitar with a wonderful mystery full of nifty twists and turns. Okay, along the way, we already know how one small part of the mystery is going to play out-- still-- Coben manages to keep it fresh and moving forward with his cast of characters.

Myron's wit is probably the best part of these novels. He always has something funny to say in the face of danger-- and sometimes even asks himself, as a person would do, "Why did I say that?
LiteraryMarie
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One False Move is the 5th book in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. Sports agent Myron Bolitar is hired to protect Brenda Slaughter, a beautiful basketball star. Her mother disappeared twenty years ago, and now her father is missing too. First the clothes were gone, then the money was gone.

If you're a Bolitar fan, you know that he is more than just a sports agent. And you know he's a sympathetic person who loves to help and save his clients. You should also be familiar with his team: Es
Nancy Ellis
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Coben at his best! He just keeps getting better and better. His clever lines and snide remarks kept me laughing through most of the book, but when it was time to get serious, he practically had me in tears. What a talented author! I love Myron and his buddies!
Kathy
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite from Coben
Jean
always am pleased with Harlan Coben's books, good read.
Jenn
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this audio book up at the library because I am a new fan of Coben's. I didn't realize that this particular book is the fifth installment of the Myron Bolitar series. And I was already several chapters in before I realized it. It didn't seem to matter and it functions fine as a stand-alone novel (the only drawback being that I now know things that have happened in previous books).

I like Myron. His character is drawn pretty well and I laughed out loud several times at his sense of humor.
Adrielle
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coben
This is my second time around with the series, in anticipation of a new Bolitar installment coming out in September this year! There are a few reasons why this is my favourite in the series. It goes to an emotional depth that none of the other books come close to while still maintaining that wit we all love. Win - so faithful, it breaks your heart, Myron - caring and justice seeking that it makes him self sacrificing and Myron's Dad - a man that would give up everything for his son. You see this ...more
Lynn Pribus
I like Coben's Myron Bolitar books better than some of his others because they are usually less weighted down by bodies, but this one had a goodly number. Not quite as light as some other Bolitars.

For most of the book, the tone is lighter -- more Robert Parker-ish with a wry, sarcastic delivery a la Spenser. This one involves a young black woman who is a top basketball player in a WNBA-like league. To protect her, Myron becomes her agent. But events 20 years earlier and lots of lying by lots of
Jeff
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite Myron Boltiar book up to its point in the series. The pace is well done and things move quickly, but not so fast that you get lost. No excessive characters to murk up the plot. Also, nice to have things get so personal for Myron. The twists and turns keep coming and ends with one of the best shockers I can recall from a mystery story. All of this and the wit and pop culture references you'd expect from the series. A great read if you're a Coben fan or just looking for a grea ...more
Stephanie
The least predictable of the series thus far, but it still wasn't great. Coben has this frustrating habit of trying too hard to make his main character awkward. It is becoming grating.

Bolitar is certainly very likeable as a main character. His cohorts are as equally likeable with the exception of his girlfriend. I do wish Coben would go off on a Win tangent for a book or two.

After five books I don't see these books as anything more than quick summer reads. There just isn't that much substance to
Thea Jones
Omg! I don't know where to start. Plus I never quite sure what to say in a review. This is the 6th novel I have read from Harlan Coben and I have to say it was the best so far. This book surely kept me on the edge of my seat. Had many twist and turns and was exciting. The funny remarks that the author uses makes his books enjoyable. And once again Harlan Coben keeps me up until the wee hours of the night.
Darren Vincent
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Best Bolitar entry since the first. The gang is all here, but unlike the last two that I read, this one seems to squeeze more drama out of the sublots. There is more substance to the relationships of the main characters and there appear to be some lasting consequences to these characters that were missing from the earlier novels. The main plot was great as well and I had no idea how it would end until the last few pages.

I am looking forward to reading the next Bolitar novel.
Susan Grace
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was soooooo happy to find One False Move, the fifth book in the Myron Bolitar series, at one of my favorite used bookstores! I just LOVE this series! Funny, self-deprecating, sensitive and noble Myron really gets himself into a messy tangled web in this one. Thank goodness for the Holiday weekend as I had time to read this in 2 days!
Eadie
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This is the 5th Harlan Coben book in the series. It is a book that will really grab you. At this point in the series, it is quite clear that Coben's books are full of witty characters you would love to meet in person and plots that keep you guessing. I definitely look forward to reading the rest of the series.
David
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Probably the weakest Bolitar book so far.

It is a pretty decent mystery, but sometimes it feels like Myron is tossed into plots, when the books could be much better without him.
Jill Moore
Harlan Coben is terribly impressed with his vocabulary. Awful, two dimensional characters. Boring story telling. Don't go there, girlfriend.
Kathleen Brunnett
Coben does not disappoint!
Krissy
Love this series!
Carol
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all but one of the Myron Bolitar series and I have to say this was my favorite. Next up for me in the series will be Long Lost.
Josanne
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning....Start this on a snowy or rainy day, or on vacation, when you have nothing else to do but read. It is one I couldn't put down.
Do you like standalone book OR a series of a character? 7 16 Feb 06, 2015 04:51PM
  • The Forgotten Man (Elvis Cole, #10)
  • Bad Guys (Zack Walker, #2)
  • Stolen (Tavistock Family, #2)
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • Rough Country (Virgil Flowers, #3)
  • Buried (Tom Thorne, #6)
  • Rage (Alex Delaware, #19)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

Myron Bolitar (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar #1)
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar #2)
  • Fade Away (Myron Bolitar #3)
  • Back Spin (Myron Bolitar #4)
  • The Final Detail (Myron Bolitar #6)
  • Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar #7)
  • Promise Me (Myron Bolitar #8)
  • Long Lost  (Myron Bolitar #9)
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar #10)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar #11)

“I remember everything about her. The way she looked. The way she smelled. The way she’d come home from her job so tired she could barely put her feet up. I don’t think I’ve talked about her five times in the past twenty years. But I think about her every day. I think about why she gave me up. And I think about why I still miss her.” 1 likes
“They’re politicians,’ Win said. ‘They’d lie and evade if you asked them what they had for breakfast.” 1 likes