Start by marking “Gingerbread Baby” as Want to Read:
Gingerbread Baby

Gingerbread Baby

(Jan Brett's Gingerbread)

Remember how the Gingerbread Boy is eaten by the fox? Well, not this Gingerbread Baby in a delicious twist to a favorite old tale.It all begins when Matti opens the oven too soon and out jumps a cheeky little Gingerbread Bay. He leads Matti's mother and father, the dog and the cat. And a whole colorful cast of characters on a rollicking chase through the village and into t ...more
Published October 4th 1999 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Gingerbread Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gingerbread Baby

Calista
I am more and more a fan of Jan Brett. This book is fun and it's a work of art. So beautiful.

My nephew loves Gingerbread men and he loves this book. He wanted to read it twice to take in all the details. He loves the line, "You can't catch me." It makes him giggle.

I love the art, the story was fun. The last page, there is a pop-up, which is fancy and nice. The story is smart. Matti, the boy who cooked the gingerbread baby, is the only one smart enough to catch him. The instructions says to cook
Andrea
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this book at least 5 times a day (Yes.Every.Single.Day) thanks to my 18 month old, who is blissfully unaware of all the things wrong with "The Gingerbread Baby". Unfortunately, his dad and I are not so lucky and noticed some flaws.

1. Unlike his parents, Matti is blond. There are only two possible explanations: he is either adopted or the milk and cheese man is his real dad.

2. The annoying narcissism of the Gingerbread Baby. We are reminded by that thing on every single page that he is "[
LaDonna
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.36 STARS

What a cute and unexpected twist on the classic tale, The Gingerbread Man!! (Or maybe, I just missed this story when I was growing up). Who knew that a gingerbread baby could wreak such havoc? Jan Brett weaves an imaginative tale about what can happen when you do not follow a recipe to the letter. For the holidays, or anytime during the year, this book is definitely enjoyable.
Ronda
Our incoming Kindergartners do a gingerbread hunt and it's nice to be able to build on that initial experience by reading other versions. This one has been a great favorite with many of my students who agreed with Jan Brett in not liking the ending of most gingerbread man stories. Great read-aloud with possible tie-ins to a wide number of lessons--folk tales, compare/contrast, versions & variations, & prediction jut to name a few. As a bit of a cautionary tale to anyone reading this alou ...more
Abigail
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jan Brett Fans / Readers Looking for Retellings of The Gingerbread Man
Inspired by the classic Euro-American folktale about the Gingerbread Man, prolific picture-book author/artist Jan Brett spins an engaging fantasy about a Gingerbread Baby who, let out of the oven early by his young creator, takes off on a wild escapade. As almost all the farm residents, and then the villagers give chase, Matti, the young boy who baked the runaway cookie in the first place, sets out to create a Gingerbread house for his independent creation...

Similar in many respects to a number
Susan
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is not a classic retelling of the Gingerbread Man but a cute story of the Gingerbread Baby. Children enjoy the idea of the baby outwitting everybody. It adds a different dimension to tale. I would have liked to see a better flowing story but overall it is wonderful. The children love the beautiful Nordic illustrations. Jan Brett provides additional material to go along with the story on her website. My kids love making the gingerbread house which comes complete with a gingerbread baby!
Jane
Dec 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I love Jan Brett and "Gingerbread Man" stories but this book is a disappointment. The wonderful rhyme of the original story "Run run as fast as you can. You can't catch me. I'm the Gingerbread Man!", is changed to a cumbersome stilted rhyme in which the gingerbread baby tries to make friends with confectionary characters in a bakery shop. This book will fit the bill for teachers and parents asking for gingerbread man stories but I wouldn't choose as a read-aloud or a favoirite holiday book.
Wellred_2
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute story and when I read it to the kids in school we didn't expect the ending. Lots of great color illustrations!
Brynna Seitz
Nov 15, 2016 added it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Brynna by: NOBODY
THE BOOK WAS AMAZING! I MEAN JUST FABULOUS!! 10/10 BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!! SUGGESTED FOR EVERYONE! READ THIS BOOK IT IS FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kalli Jean Thompson
This is my favorite Jan Brett book. The story is a fun twist on the Gingerbread Man. The illustrations are vivid and wonderful. The story is fun and festive.
Allie Maas
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Title: Gingerbread Baby
Author: Jan Brett
Illustrator: Jan Brett
Genre: European Folktale
Theme(s): Baking, Gingerbread
Opening Line/sentence:
It was cold outside. It was warm inside. A fine day for gingerbread, Matti thought.

Brief Book Summary:
Matti, a little Swiss boy creates a gingerbread baby only to have it hop up and run away. As it ran through the town it caused chaos among the all the animals and townspeople. Each person tried to catch the gingerbread baby with no success until it was thought
Marie
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet story with beautiful illustrations!
Anne
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I voluntarily read this aloud today to my preschoolers. It has grown on me since the first time I had to read it. The Jan Brett illustrations are lovely, the text is okay, the ending is creative. It's funny to read along with four year olds who don't know what goats are.
Martin
Theme(s): Mischief, trickster
Opening line/sentence:
It was cold outside.
Brief Book Summary:
Matti makes a gingerbread baby who comes alive and runs around town while all the townspeople try to capture him.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Jan Lieberman (Children's Literature)
The joyous journey of a jaunty gingerbread boy is served up deliciously in this book. Set in the Alps, this is Ms. Brett's own version.
Brenda Hetland
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jan Brett is an amazing choice for an author when you want to go for some light-hearted, holiday-spirited fun with reading. I gave this book a 4 star rating for its amazing illustrations and fun story for young kids. The story is very simple. A young boy named Mattie and his Grandmother decide it would be fun to bake some gingerbread men! Mattie gets impatient and opens the oven too soon. Before the gingerbread could become a fully baked gingerbread man, a gingerbread baby pops out of the oven, ...more
Holly
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is such a wonderful story, I like how it closly relates to the original story. My son loved all the pictures, which were simply amazing. He was picking out different animals, shapes, and items, while I was reading to him. He now says "Gingerbread Baby run!" This will now be a favorite to read durning Christmas time in my house.
Marnie Bimm
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Traditional

Copyright Date: 2003

Estimate of age level of interest: K-3

Estimate of reading level: 2

Brief description: Matti is going to make gingerbread cookies. He peeks to early and out jumps the gingerbread baby! A lot of characters try to stop him but Matti has a plan.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book: The Gingerbread Baby is a cumulative tale with each new chaser repeating the
Krista Lockwood
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional
Awards-Bank Street College Best Children’s Book of the Year 1999

Grade: This book would be for grades k-3

Gingerbread baby is based on the classic folktale of the gingerbread man. It was a cold snowy day and the family wanted to make gingerbread. As soon as the gingerbread was done cooking, a gingerbread baby jumped out of the oven! He ran out the door and everyone tried to catch him but they couldn't. All the animals and people chased the gingerbread baby until the little boy had an idea. He was
Vaden Ellwanger
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary: It is winter time and Matti, the main character, makes a gingerbread baby who comes to life. Now, the whole village is on the hunt for the gingerbread baby that escaped. Everyone is out looking while Matti is at home plotting his plan to capture the gingerbread baby with his new gingerbread house. Matti sets out the trap catching the baby, and he takes it home for his parents to see. His parents are very proud of him.

Theme: The theme is about planning and trickery.

Response: I read this
Lauren
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great example of traditional literature. Its the classic story about a ginger bread man running away, but this time its a baby. It seems that the setting of this story is in Germany or Norway. The main little boy is inpatient and opens the oven too early releasing the gingerbread baby. The baby is fast. He causes commotion throughout the village, so the boy has to think of how he can catch him.

The artwork in this book is breathtaking. It is very colorful, and each page is extreme
Jake Delaney
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is appropriate for children around the ages of 5-7 years old and has not won any awards. It is about the Gingerbread Baby and his adventure through different places while a people chase after him and try to find him. Gingerbread Baby runs away and hides in different spots so the town won't find him Gingerbread Baby meets a Matti who makes him a gingerbread house so Gingerbread Baby can hide in it. I enjoy this book because it is an interesting spin on an old fairytale. It has fantastic ...more
Jaimie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brett takes the simple refrain of the uncatchable gingerbread man and expands it into a wonderful story that utilizes her tried and true format of story expansion through slowly adding characters which wraps up with a clever twist at the finale. In this case, she has an increasing number of family members, animals, and villagers begin to chase the wily gingerbread baby as he runs away from his baker, Matti. Matti may have disobeyed the recipe and peeked at the gingerbread man before he was done ...more
Amber Griffin
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because of what an amazing author Jan Brett is. There is not a single book of her that I have not liked. I grew up reading these stories and still enjoy reading them. I always get excited when a child in the church nursery I volunteer in brings me one of her books to read them. It is just as fun to look at the illustrations as it is to read the story! I will absolutely be having an author section dedicated to Jan Brett in my classroom library.
Becky Sandner
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The Gingerbread Baby is a new take on the classic gingerbread man tale. This time our story centers on Mattie and the Gingerbread Baby. The Gingerbread Baby has escaped and is danger of being eaten. Will Mattie be able to save the Gingerbread Baby? A fun story, full of text that encourages listeners to read along!
Katelyn Matthiesen
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
This was a cute story that plays off of the Gingerbread Man. I think that the illustrations are great and they gave clues and hints of what is coming next on the edges of the pages. The ending of the book is unexpected and I think that children will really love this version of the story.
Karlie Payne
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would use this book in my classroom near christmas time. The illustrations are beautiful and intriguing for students. It would be fun to use this book along with an activity where students made their own gingerbread babies or gingerbread houses.
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 5 stars
Illustrations: 5 stars

Re-telling of the classic Gingerbread Man tale, with a Scandinavian setting and a twist ending. Lovely illustrations with intricate details and plenty of Nordic flair. Surprise ending comes with a hidden flap page.
Nancy (Colorado)
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute story with a few twist!
Jessica
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really like this twist on a classic story!
Sue Flaherty
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read Aloud.

Love the story but kindle on iPad makes it hard to read the words and see the pictures too. A fix is required.
  • The Gingerbread Girl
  • The Gingerbread Boy
  • The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School
  • The Gingerbread Boy
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
  • There's Something in My Attic
  • Who Is Coming to Our House?
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • An Extraordinary Egg
  • The Little Fir Tree
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme

Jan Brett's Gingerbread (3 books)
  • Gingerbread Friends