Start by marking “Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)” as Want to Read:
Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)

Backwards

(Red Dwarf #4)

This is the third adventure of the unlikely space heroes of the cult TV hit Red Dwarf – Lister, Rimmer, Kryten, Holly and the Cat – as they continue their epic journey through frontal-lobe-knotting realities. We join them just as Dave Lister has finally found his way back to planet Earth – which is good. What’s bad, however, is that time isn’t running in quite the right ...more
Published by Penguin Books (first published February 5th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Backwards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backwards

Start your review of Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)
David Sarkies
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Life in Reverse
23 April 2016

So, at the end of Better Than Life we leave Lister trapped in a universe in which time goes in reverse, namely because he had become so old (due to being caught up in a temporal distortion caused by a black hole) that when they encountered the polymorph he had literally been scared to death (or something like that – I'm not quite sure even though it was about a month ago that I actually read the book). Anyway, in an effort to save his life they take his body to an
Jason
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am am huge fan of Red Dwarf, one of the best sci-fi series ever made and backwards is one of my favourite episodes. I was really pleased when Rob Grant decided to make this episode into a book. Reading the book was like reliving the episode but it was an extended version, everything from the episode is there and there was more new stuff. One of my favourite Red Dwarf scenes was The Cat doing a backwards poo. :)

If you've never watched Red Dwarf, it doesn't matter, read this book anyway as it is
Morgan Murray
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is Rob Grant's unadorned vision for Red Dwarf, as opposed to his collaborative view with Doug Naylor. Backwards follows Lister's journey to a planet going back in time, another encounter with Ace Rimmer and a tangle with some simulants - all of which have been covered in some way by the TV show.

Grant's description of Red Dwarf is a little darker than that found in the TV show, with more rounded characters. The Cat barely gets a look in, as Lister and Kryten dominate the book - the book's
John Kirk
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although this book was published after Last Human, I think of it as the third novel in the series, because it follows so closely from Better Than Life. Also, it seems fairly clear to me that Rob Grant brought most of the talent to the "Grant Naylor" gestalt.

This novel introduces some completely new ideas, as well as tying together several episodes from the TV series. (view spoiler)
Sandi
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm sorry to say that this one did not have an audio version read by Chris Barrie so I stuck with the written edition. Maybe it was the lack of Chris or maybe that Grant does need Naylor to balance him but I wasn't as happy with this outing.

I don't think I minded that there were less laughs and some of the humour was darker. What I did mind was that living backwards just couldn't sustain the concept for an entire book. I still laughed and enjoyed it but just not near as much as the first two. I
Christopher
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved the concept of writing a world that existed backwards. The writing was very clever and extremely fun. I felt that the story flagged a little when they escaped but the inclusion of "Ace" was interesting, and the epilogue really helped flesh the character out. Made me think of the little decisions I've made over the years to get me to where I am now and wonder which ones I could (or should) have avoided to be a better person.

The story was kind of dull around the whole killbot
Jane
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a disappointing read for me in comparison to the other Red Dwarf books. The core of the book is based across three well known episodes... episodes that happen to be three of my favourites. They are joint together in an interesting way but for me it just heavily diluted three sterling episodes into something only so-so.
Abigail
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm so sad that I finished this
Felix Foote
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book isn't perfect, but I enjoyed reading it. Rob Grant's writing is as detailed and talented as ever, and this book is based on a few great episodes of a great television show. I suppose my major complaints about it are more personal than anything. While I admire how Rob Grant chooses to go beyond the details set by the original television show and change the story, I found myself loving some changes, but not appreciating others. For instance, we spend a lot more time in the Backwards ...more
Tom Sadira
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one had all the great Red Dwarf stuff: Lister and the gang, absurd dimensions that defy reason, plenty of action (not always forward in time, which was a triiiiip), and sadistic-murderous-insane robots.

Act One was great, even if it forced me to bend my mind to think backwards (how's that for titularity, dude?!) For example, characters would regurgitate bites of their food until their lunch was reassembled on their plates, then hand it off to a waiter and collect a fee. Other mundane
Newly Wardell
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay this book isnt half as inspired by the combined amazingness of Grant Naylor. Some would argue that one half is in some way better than the other. Others would argue that one writer does more work than the other however, no one can say they after reading this book that is in anyway better than its predecessors. The jokes seem a bit forced and boy does Grant play into the hopelessness of their plight. I mean boy howdy, most of adventures on the Le Petit Rouge have a least a moments pleasure. ...more
Christa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
So, I definitely consider this the third and final instalment in the Red Dwarf trilogy. It's not my favourite of the three but, of course, I still found it fantastic! I loved the elements of the show as well as the new plot points, like the agonoids and the detail into Ace's background.
There were some problems I had with it, like the fact that it wasn't all as connected as the previous two in terms of plot. For example, the 'Gunmen of the Apocalypse' plotline was definitely forced in there
Nimishg
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is an alternate continuation to "Better than Life" (the other continuation being "Last Human"). About the first 1/3 of the book takes place exclusively in the Backwards universe, and that part, I have to admit, is amazing. Grant does a great job of reverse-engineering all the events and putting the characters in interesting positions throughout that bit.

The rest of the book feels a bit weird... as though Grant is trying to set up surprizes for the reader that aren't surprizes at all if
Lily
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When people ask me for book recommendations, this is always my go-to.

No kidding, I was in tears from laughing while reading this book. It is absolutely hilarious and a must read for any Red Dwarf fan.

Some of the funniest moments in the series were taken from these pages and being able to read certain character's thoughts and reactions to the events unfolding is an added bonus.

Red Dwarf: Backwards, in my honest opinion, is hands down the best of the Red Dwarf books and the smegging funniest book
Gary E
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well this one took me a while to finish but that does not mean it was not enjoyable.

It is just as fun as the previous books in the series.

It really is great to read these far more detailed stories (as opposed to watching the TV episode(s) that the story became). We get a lot more insight into the characters and their back stories. Even if you are not a fan of the show these books are still good sci-fi and are worth reading.

If you are a fan of the show these are really must reads!
Thomas Cullen
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I was a bit skeptical about this book. Backwards has always been one of my least favourite episodes of Red Dwarf but I thoroughly enjoyed "better than life" so thought, what the smeg.

The shenanigans the Red Dwarf crew find themselves in throughout this book are hilarious; I loved the appearance of Ace Rimmer, the deranged aganoids and a larger focus on Lister. There was a bit too much slapstick comedy in places at times but I can let that slide. Overall, a pretty good follow on.
Billycongo
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Despite what the title says, it's the 3rd Red Dwarf book. The continuity of the last book to this book is much better.

The main story is taken from an episode of the TV Show and expanded. In this case they do a great job. They bring back 'Ace' Rimmer, and the gelfs, and it's quite enjoyable. I'd say that this is the best of the books, because I've already read Red Dwarf #4, 'The Last Human'.
Colleen Lawrence
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable adventure with the boys from the Dwarf. It's interesting to see the difference in writing styles between Doug Naylor and Rob Grant, who wrote the first two books together before writing a their own sequel each. It's a little sad that there aren't any books to read, but at least there is more of the TV show being made.
Valentine
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook before I was able to sit down and read it for myself, and I had no idea how much had been cut (well, a chap and then the whole Gunmen part, but it's quite a lot), so that was nice to be able to read. I loved the stuff we got to see of Ace, and the stuff with baby Rimmer was just a really pleasant way to end the book.
Robin
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I think these books are marked slightly out of order. This is (should be) the third title in the series then followed by Last Human. In my opinion, this was the weakest of the 4 books and doesn't contribute much to the book series overall.
Igor
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
5y1v4r
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Only 3 stars because oh god was the first part on the backwards world hard to read. Once they get back into a normal time stream it settles back into a similar amusing sci fi romp as the first book.
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great until the Apocalypse virus bit which drags, otherwise still funny. Love Ace Rimmer :D
C. Bella
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent,terrific and i love this book.
Thomas Price
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The description of the Cat's first bowel movement in 'Backwards' is something that will stay with me forever!
Charles Cascio
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Darker than the TV series and just as true in their own right.
Slick
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first 2.
Veronika Policerová
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story!! Even if you're not a Dwarfer, you'll love it! (Maybe you become a dwarfer after reading :) )
Dane Cobain
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Backwards is one of three Red Dwarf novels, but it’s the only one that Doug Naylor wasn’t involved with – to me, it’s noticeable, because whilst this is still a good book, it isn’t on a par with Better Than Life and Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers.

That said, it’s not just a simple novelisation of the episode with the same name, either – there’s a lot more depth to this, and Kristine Kochanski plays a huge role in the story line, too. There’s a lot of fun to be had here if you’re a fan of the
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Finally, a Red Dwarf novel that is actually funny!
For those not acquainted, Red Dwarf is a hilarious science fiction comedy television series from the BBC. There are, to my knowledge, four novels based on the series. The first two (Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers and Better Than Life) were collaborative efforts by the show's two creators. They basically cannibalized episodes of the series. They both had humor, but the jokes were always undercut by a heavy feeling of darkness that hung over
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combining books 6 76 Oct 24, 2013 09:05AM

• Red Dwarf Omnibus: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life (Red Dwarf #1-2)
  • Stark
  • Starship Titanic
  • Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)
  • He Died with a Felafel in His Hand
  • Popcorn
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • Men at Arms: The Play
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words: Volume 1
  • Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • The Dark Side of the Sun
  • Last Chance to See
  • Wish You Were Here: The Official Biography of Douglas Adams
  • Forging the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #1)
  • Doom of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #2)

Writes under the name Grant Naylor when collaborating with Doug Naylor

Red Dwarf (5 books)
  • Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Red Dwarf #1)
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)
  • Red Dwarf: Programme Guide