Start by marking “Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)” as Want to Read:
Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)

Last Human

(Red Dwarf #3)

Lister gazed out of the porthole and catalogue the series of disasters that had led him to this point in space and time: the bad decisions, the poor career choices, the unreliable friendships that had led him here - on a prison ship bound for the most inhospitable penal colony in the outer cosmos... and all he'd ever wanted was to be a soft metal guitar icon. This is the ...more
Published 1995 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Last Human, please sign up.
Aaron Both books are technically book 3. First book was written by both Doug Naylor and Rob Grant under the pen name Grant Naylor. For the third and fourth…moreBoth books are technically book 3. First book was written by both Doug Naylor and Rob Grant under the pen name Grant Naylor. For the third and fourth book, Grant and Doug split the workload (mainly to appease publisher, as they owed them two more books). Each book is the respective authors take on the story after the events of book 2. (less)

Start your review of Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)
David Sarkies
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
The Final Chapter
28 May 2016

It has taken ages for me to get around to reading this book, namely because when my sister first bought it back in 1995 she told me that I couldn't read it until she had finished it. I'm not sure if that ever came about – her reading it that is – however over Christmas, when I was back in Adelaide for a few weeks, I asked her if I would be able to borrow it (half expecting her to say no, namely because she hadn't got around to reading it yet) and fortunately she had
John Kirk
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. The bits where it stayed close to the TV series are tedious (e.g. the Cat's variations on "this is deader than plaid") and the original bits don't make sense. I treat this as the fourth novel in the series, although it was published before Backwards. However, there are really two alternate third novels, which don't fit into the same continuity, and this is the lesser of the two.

The book is called "Last Human", but it also reintroduces Kochanski as a member of the crew (as seen in
Sandi
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm sad to say that this is even more of a letdown then Backwards was. It seems that Naylor needs Grant more then vice versa. At least when it comes to writing in the Red Dwarf universe. This book just wasn't that funny or even true to the characters. As a science fiction novel in it's own right it wasn't bad but then again, it wasn't great.

The plot is so full of holes I feel it's been a marksman's target and I couldn't get over the feeling that this had just been cobbled together as part of a
Paul
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.75 stars.

The first of two books that both are direct sequels to the second Red Dwarf novel, Better than Life. After the writing team of Grant Naylor went their separate ways they still had a deal to write two more books so each took the story in their own direction, completely separately from each other. This one was penned by Doug Naylor, who also continued the TV series from this point on. As this was released first novel I chose to start with it.

While I didn't hate this book I wasn't
Dane Cobain
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a Red Dwarf novel but written by only one of the two creators, and I think that it suffers a little as a result of that. I’ve actually read one of Rob Grant’s novels as well, and that wasn’t particularly good either, whereas I do like the two other Red Dwarf books that they wrote together, and Better Than Life in particular.

That brings me on to one of my main problems with this, which is that they essentially self-plagiarise, taking scenes and lines of dialogue verbatim from the show. I
Richard
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
While not as funny or as relatable to the BBC series as Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers or Better than Life, the third Red Dwarf book entertains! Written solely by Doug Naylor, Last Human picks up where Better than Life concludes and brings Lister's story full-circle.

It's a more complete story than the episodic first two books, and this seems to be its biggest flaw. The first two Red Dwarf books worked so well because they added to stories seen in the BBC series, but Last Human
Jason
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not the best book in the series of red dwarf books, really only for the super-fans of the series. It's a bit of a mash-up from various episodes and because of that it doesn't flow as well as the other books. You can find lots of plot holes too, for example the book is called "Last Human" but there is another human called Kochanski, so right away the title is confusing. Maybe if this book was better edited I would have rated it as high as the other books in the series. I still laughed though and ...more
Drive Like
Sep 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Bloody rubbish. From reading this and then reading "Backwards" by Rob Grant you can see who teh talent really was out of teh two of them. It's a shame that it was Doug Naylor who kept on writing the show, one can only imagine how good Red Dwarf could have been had Rob Grant stuck around.
Tom Sadira
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another masterful comedy-scifi novel, full of fun and adventure and weirdness.

This third book in the series focused more heavily on Kryten (android) and Rimmer (holographic entity) and did a fantastic job of developing their characters. Cat took a backseat, which was fine, and the author reintroduced Kriss Kochanski—Lister's long dead girlfriend, who was a perfect addition to their team.

The sci-fi elements were plentiful: mind prisons, instantaneous gene-editing, cross-dimensional evil twins,
Christopher
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Yeah, I should have read these in order. I think that while part of my problem was the story itself and plotholes that several other reviewers have noted, I was also put off by the narrator. He made Lister sound like a complete arse, Cat was a non-player, Rimmer was a bigger wuss than before, and Kryten was...well, he was about the same, I guess.

I didn't like how Kryten turned himself into a human and then decided that he could upload a computer virus to himself and cause the giant tornado to
Anna
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of the show, so I was able to imagine the characters' looks, voices, accents and mannerisms. I can't tell if the made the book better or worse. Maybe it raised my expectations too high. Or maybe it gave the jokes that little bit of extra humour they needed. Either way, I'm glad to be done with the book. The ending was trite, Cat seemed to be a boring cameo (despite being such an entertaining character in the show) and at least a quarter of the book could have been edited out by ...more
Catherine O'toole
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as the previous two books in the series. The characters don't seem as fleshed out in this book, as if the author doesn't know them very well. In fact, at one stage it was written 'said Rimmer' when it was clearly something the Cat was saying. Just a typo but it sums up the feeling I got throughout the book. It wasn't bad, just not as good as I was hoping for after the first two books.
Danny Truscott
Apr 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Pretty awful, nowhere near as fun as the previous two. This one focused way too much on a bad story (something that wasn't exactly the strong point of the others), and included none of the stupid jokes or character building that we'd typically associate with Red Dwarf.

If you were to ask me in a year what the plot of the book is, I probably won't be able to recall. Completely forgettable, I'm quite disappointed given how much I enjoyed the first one.
Melany
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I really enjoyed the first two books, but this one had so many plot holes, even for science fiction, I just couldn’t deal with it. I mean, they land on a asteroid that has telephone poles and electricity? The inhabitants drive jeeps? “A rocket whined out of the barrel and sizzled across the penal colony before it exploded into the electric chain-link perimeter fence, shattering the concrete posts. “ Chain-link? Concrete? It just took me out of the story.
Michael Sigler
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Kind of a disappointing book in terms of the greatness of the rest of the series. I definitely head-cannon this book as the fourth in the series of books based on the classic BBC/Dave comedy television series, immediately following Backwards.
Doug Naylor wrote a solid science fiction book, but it lacked the comedy, charm, and character awareness of the series it is based on.
Gary E
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one differed from the TV show significantly. Thus it was full of surprises. You can see bits taken from the book that made their way into the TV show but that was it.

I found read by this a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Being able to see these characters in only vaguely familiar circumstances was great!

If you like/ed the TV show you will like the books as well!
Hans van der Veeke
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have seen the television episodes then it is very recognizable. Almost all of the events happen also in the series. But it is still Red Dwarf humor, so per definition funny. Especially the metaphors are very funny.
Rusty Van Mort
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is for those that have read the previous two novels or familiar with the characters from the TV show. All others will be totally lost.
It feels a little rushed and the author crow-bars in scenes from the TV series which I don't think where necessary and felt like padding to beef-up the book.
All in all I enjoyed it, even if the plot and characters are dealt with superficially. I would have liked a bit more astronomy and astrophysics.
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

A competent SF novel that broadens the Red Dwarf canvas but relies a little too much on prior knowledge of the show (while at the same time rehashing chunks of televised stories; these are the book’s weakest parts). Funny, but somewhat scattershot.
Slick
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even less good than Backwards.
Chloe Simpson-White
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i love this book series. it is very, very close to the show that i remember
Jan-Niklas Bersenkowitsch
Not a book with a strong plot, but full of ideas and the endings makes it worth it.
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The better story of the two follow ups to Better than Life but not as funny as the first half of Backwards or as funny as the first book. So I dunno. Probably more 3.5 stars.
Jasmine Belmont
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This was good in places but to be honest as a die hard red dwarf fan it didn't make sense after reading the other books and bits of it I just didn't enjoy.
Andy Crane
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked this book less than the first two. I think Naylor needed Grant to balance him out, as I found the first two books much more enjoyable.
Igor
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Like most other books in the series it's only worth reading if you're a fan of the TV series. There just aren't enough interesting parts in the book to stand out.
Jess
I did not want to read this book. This book ruined my Christmas day (for reasons that will be explained when I actually finish reading it).
But nevertheless, I am reading it. Because I love Red Dwarf so much and I feel like I'm obliged to read it.
More thoughts when I'm done (and probably in floods of tears, but it'll bump up my 'made-me-cry' shelf).

Okay so I finally got around to reading this and yes it made me cry okay.
I'm so pathetic.
Further thoughts - I didn't like Kochanski until the
Kythe42
Last Human by Doug Naylor is the third book based on the British science fiction comedy show Red Dwarf. The crew of Red Dwarf accidentally end up in an alternate dimension and they find an alternate copy of their transport ship Starbug with all the crew dead inside except for Lister. They set out on a quest to find what's become of the alternate Lister, but when they find him, he turns out to be a lot more different from Lister than they had imagined. I would say that overall this book wasn't ...more
Larry
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
While the wacky zany genius of the series is intact in this tomb with the same lovable cast of characters and the same melding of comedy and sci-fi that is sure to charm, there were a couple elements that caused me some minor concern: the scenes that are literally from the tv series...now I understand that these scenes were for the most part written before they premiered on the tv series (Since series VII and VIII were released in the late 90's and this was from the mid 90's) however that almost ...more
anete
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction, humour, 2017
i missed chris barrie's narration, but all in all craig did an okay job. don't know what rob grant did with the next book
« previous 1 3 next »

• Red Dwarf Omnibus: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life (Red Dwarf #1-2)
  • Stark
  • Colony
  • Incompetence
  • Starship Titanic
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Men at Arms: The Play
  • Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • He Died with a Felafel in His Hand
  • And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • Blackadder: The Whole Damn Dynasty, 1485-1917
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words: Volume 1
  • Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation
  • The Dark Side of the Sun
  • The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within
  • Last Chance to See
Douglas R. Naylor is a British comedy writer, science fiction writer, director and television producer. He is best known as half of the writing team of the lnog-running BBC sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf (1988-2009), which is a worldwide cult hit.

Naylor was born in Manchester, England and studied at the University of Liverpool. In the mid-1980s, Naylor wrote two regular comedy sketch shows for BBC Radio

Red Dwarf (5 books)
  • Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Red Dwarf #1)
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)
  • Red Dwarf: Programme Guide
“well when I was a mechanoid, twisting the right nipple nut was the way we regulated body temperature, while the left nipple was mainly used to pick up short-wave radio transmissions. What I'm saying is, no matter how hard I twiddle them, I still can't seem to pick up Jazz FM'.” 0 likes