Start by marking “The Structure of Magic I: A Book about Language and Therapy” as Want to Read:
The Structure of Magic I: A Book about Language and Therapy

The Structure of Magic I: A Book about Language and Therapy

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  667 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
These seminal works in neurolinguistic programming (NLP) help therapists understand how people create inner models of the world to represent their experience and guide their behavior. Volume I describes the Meta Model, a framework for comprehending the structure of language; Volume II applies NLP theory to nonverbal communication.
Published September 13th 2005 by Science and Behavior Books (first published June 1975)

Josh Meares
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I just finished reading an interesting book called The Structure of Magic. It is actually not about magic at all, but about psychology. This book contains some eye-opening insights into the relationship between models and reality. It is an attempt to find the common elements in language-based therapy, a meta-model as they call it, in order to advance the state of the field of therapy as a whole. It also presented the case that concrete-ness is the key to understanding a person’s model of the wor ...more
David Fleming
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
THE STRUCTURE OF MAGIC

This is a little gem of a book which, perhaps more so than any other, helped me understand how our minds work on a linguistic basis (a topic of, no doubt, interest to avid readers).

The downside is that it's basically a textbook writing for pyschologists. But, if you can stomach the dryness, the rewards of insight are well worth the effort.

As many know, this series of books along with Frogs into Princes helped to establish the field of Nero Linguistic Programming or NLP.
Morgan
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Structure of Magic refers to the mental structures that people have about how the world works, and how those structures impact the words that they say in therapy. The book's argument is that understanding these structures can dramatically improve the effectiveness of a therapist, regardless of what type of therapy they practice.

The semantics of the sentences that people say in therapy is determined by their conception of their own experience. So a therapist is two levels removed from what's
Stuart Macalpine
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bandler and Grinder set out to show how coaches or therapists who are very effective, use a range of very similar skills which the authors here try to pull together: in book 1 they mainly deal with language (book 2 mainly deals with verbal and non-verbal representation systems).

The text of book 1 I found to be much simpler than book 2 which is very hard. Book 1 is similar to 'questions for specificity' in cognitive coaching, but with a much fuller picture of the differences between 'deep structu
Irma Walter
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I studied it and started evaluating my own language. What surprising things I found out about myself. We get strangled by our own habits and interpretations.
Talk is powerful. However, we would have to agree to be healed by words. Otherwise, we'd just generalise again: it's just smooth-talking.
Sergio Ledward
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un gran libro para entender como las personas estructuramos el mundo y como lo compartimos y re-creamos a través del lenguaje.
El énfasis está en la práctica terapéutica, sin embargo puede ser extraordinariamente útil para cualquier persona interesada en entender el comportamiento humano.
Este libro es la base de Programación Neurolingüística antes de que se llamara así
Brian Hohmeier
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
Pro-tip: Skip to the conclusion; see the TOC if you have questions about anything concluded; proceed to Volume II.
Vaas
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
==========
«Не следует забывать, что назначение мира идей в целом (карты или модели – авт.) не состоит в изображении мира, – такая задача была бы совершенно невыполнима, – а в том, чтобы у нас был инструмент, позволяющий нам легче отыскивать свой путь в мире».
==========
Каждый индивид одновременно пользуется благами той конкретной языковом традиции, которой он принадлежит от рождения, и испытывает на себе ее тяготы – пользуется благами, ПОСКОЛЬКУ язык дает доступ к накопленному опыту других людей;
Damien
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
The premise is that knowledge from the field of transformational grammar is extremely useful in therapy.

The text is very dense and technical but there are a lot of explanations and examples and the only prerequisite for the material is a fluency in English.

First there is our experience of the world, our senses and perception. They are too vast to understand or even remember. We reduce them to a model; our model of the model.

When we communicate we create a model of that model. These are the Engli
Otter57
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nlp
Remarkable book and one that should certainly be read by anyone interested in NLP. It forms the basis of most of the ideas underpinning NLP and explains them much better than many of the books that came after. Like experience and our representation of experience in 'deep structure', many of the ideas have gone through a little too much generalization, distortion, and deletion :)

The book is dated, but still highly valuable in its insights. I read it years ago and then came back to it again recent
Patrick Eru
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
The ideas expressed in the book appear to me to be simple, far-reaching, and mostly uncontroversial, unlike other NLP-related theories, like eye positions. The book is, however, very much targeting therapists, and I do not have the opportunity to incorporate their ideas into a regular practice of mine.

My main criticism—quite ironically, for a book about grammar—is that the text is very hard to read. Their grammatical constructions are heavy and unnecessarily complicated, making the reading proce
James Tolson
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it

Despite the fact this info (the meta model) has been reprinted and explained thousands of times over in virtually every NLP book. Mistakenly I thought the authors charismatic personality would add some flair to the content .However the dry academic prose really kills it. Whilst the info is still good the book tends, to become very repetitive fast. Instead i would recomemend NLP for begginers which summarises this 200 page text in 20, Along with many other developments in the field.
Matheus Natan
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nlp
O metamodelo da PNL realmente é uma arma, não apenas para o terapeuta como para qualquer comunicador profissional. Neste livro, Grinder & Bandler ensinam técnicas de como desafiar e modificar o modelo de mundo dos pacientes usando o poder da linguagem. Must read para terapeutas.
Laurynas Zubko
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not the best writing style... but very useful for deeper appreciation of how we create our subjective world perception w/ language. Meta-Model is a practical tool for starting challenging believe systems and "reality" subjective mental constructs through language.
Jesus Perez calderon
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Es un libro de PNL, sobre como la gente crea el modelo del mundo a partir de su experiencia,
y es ese modelo creado lo que determinará su comportamiento. Es un poco difícil de leer
al principio ya que tiene términos muy técnicos.
Domenico
La mia recensione su https://trattodipenna.wordpress.com/ Grazie. Sono ben accetti i consigli per migliorare :)
Jim
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
interesting book about communication and how we change. written for therapists, so it's kind of tough to track.
Count-daniel Fogarty
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book for clarifying human communication...
JD
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Extremely interesting and informative.
Maggie
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A bit hard going but interesting stuff.
Priidik Vaikla
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hea teoreetiline ülevaade NLP-st otse algallikast ning väga head praktilised intervjuude näited
Ivan Voras
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help, nlp, psychology
Mostly of historical value and for thorough scholars. The Meta model can be learned in a much easier way than through reading this particular book.
Josh Colunga
Dec 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's a very interesting book, the beggining of PNL
Federico
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una guida illuminante. Questo libro mi ha dato tantissimo e lo rileggerò periodicamente per capirlo meglio.
Kathryn Linden
May 10, 2009
Tom
Jun 03, 2012
Goodreads Librari...: Add Book Cover 3 12 Jan 13, 2016 11:35AM
  • Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.
  • Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.
  • Beliefs: Pathways to Health & Well-Being
  • My Voice Will Go with You: The Teaching Tales of Milton H. Erickson
  • Time Line Therapy and the Basis of Personality
  • Coaching with NLP: How to be a Master Coach
  • Words That Change Minds: Mastering the Language of Influence
  • The Language of Change: Elements of Therapeutic Communication
  • Pragmatics of Human Communication: A Study of Interactional Patterns, Pathologies and Paradoxes
  • Cards as Weapons
  • Sensemaking in Organizations
  • Modern Coin Magic
  • Games for Actors and Non-Actors

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »