Start by marking “Roses for Mama” as Want to Read:
Roses for Mama

Roses for Mama

(Women of the West #3)

A captivating story of a young girl who must assume responsibility for raising her younger siblings. As the challenges intensify, she is determined to raise them as her mother would have wanted.
Published 1991 by Bethany House Publishers (first published May 31st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Roses for Mama, please sign up.
Laura Waxman that's about the age I was when I started reading Janette Oke. I loved them then, and I do now! The lessons taught in this book are perfect for young…morethat's about the age I was when I started reading Janette Oke. I loved them then, and I do now! The lessons taught in this book are perfect for young teens, and the romance is sweet and pure.(less)

R.A.
That was sweet!! <3

The Characters:
Angela - at times I really liked her, but it wasn't all the time. It was especially when she did something so silly that I groaned about! Obviously, no one can always do the right thing! ;) I like how compassionate she was with her siblings, but personally, I kind of thought at times she was overdoing it in trying to raise them. (Maybe that's just me!) Anyway, once she figured out that one decision she made was a bad move, things started to get better for her
Dawn
A reread. One of my favorite Janette Oke books.
Andrea
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mama's Roses

Angela and Thomas are left with the responsibility to raise their younger siblings. It's hard work.
Much of the book deals with daily life on the farm and growing pains of the siblings. Angela has a brief courtship before the right man comes along.
I loved the memory game. I also loved Charlie and Gus.
Susan
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed a quick read, comforting good story, and I almost always find that with Jenette Oke's Christian fiction. This was not a disappointment, in fact I realized that I'd read it before, but it's one I mostly enjoyed. I love the advice she quotes from her mother, and will put one of them up where I can see it often, "Never desipse a task...you're either creating something or making something better." I appreciate that.

I did get frustrated with the unrealistic expectation that the girl has of t
Makayla
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! This is the first book that I have read of Janette Oke and it was fabulous! I love her as an author! She has great examples in her books and her characters are wonderful! The Women of the West Series is wonderful! I recommend these books to everyone!
Sofiya
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book to read.
Amanda Tero
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second time reading "Roses for Mama." It is just one of those spending-a-relaxed-day-reading type of books for me. The first time I read it, I was annoyed with Angela and her choices. Since I knew the conclusion this time, I could endure it just well and was able to focus on more of the behind-the-scenes workings on. It remains one of my favorite Janette Oke books, which is amusing, because I don't like backstory (there was an entire chapter backstory) and I don't care for being "told ...more
Olivia
Janette Oke is the author I go to when I need something relaxing to read. Once more this book did just that for me. It didn't take long to read, but the story is sweet and there are still good lessons throughout. This one wasn't my favorite as Carter took up a lot of the story and it was a little ridiculous. I would have loved to know more about Thane!

All in all I'd recommend this for lovers of a simple story, and especially if you've enjoyed others by this author.
Amanda
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I loved reading this sweet book. You follow Angela as she cares for her younger siblings. Like any girl she dreams of having her own family and a husband to love her. With God's help she learns which paths to take. It is a good book for a rainy day.
Katherine
One of my favourite Janette Oke books. It is so sweet. Though, reading it again for the first time in many years, I really wanted to tell Angela to stop worrying and to stop being so hard on herself! Happily Thomas eventually did it for me :-)
Alicia
There's something about this sweet and simple story that makes this book very special and one of my absolute favourite books! So I keep on re-reading it :)
Nichole Hack
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will hold a special place in my heart! I loved it so much!! Tears of sadness and joy were definitely shed while reading this.
Loretta Marchize
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
This was a great read! I loved it! It had a lovely romance, although for part of the book I was screaming 'no' all the time at Angela. She was a bit annoying.
The others were fun and I LOVED Thane. He was great. The only problem I would have was that he was almost too perfect!

Content:
Two kisses, both by unmarried couples. Mentions of a girl trying to snag a guy.
JKnight
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author is amazing and I really like her!!!!!!!!!!
Tashawna
I just finished Roses For Mama, and it was a sweet book. :)

Angela and her brother, Thomas, have been put in responsibility of their three younger siblings after losing their parents.

This was a very good book, but since I prefer adventure and all, it wasn't my most favorite. But it was good, as I said.

Thane is... just so wonderful. Such a gentleman, and the perfect picture of the chivalrous men of that time. I thought it was so sweet when he gave Angela the peppermints... *sigh*

So, I'll pr
Rachael
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this read for about the dozenth time! This time I got to read it out loud and enjoy it with my daughter. I love this book! It touches the heart and has a great faith message. My daughter really enjoyed it. We were able to have some good talks about it as well. There is just nothing like reading a Janette Oke book!
Kassie
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my first Janette Oke novel. I'm sure most people find this book simple and "sappy" but I love the goodness in it. Instead of trying to rid my mind of bad words or images the book put in, I find myself remembering the sweet story of a family left parentless and the 'love story' of Angela and Thane.
Kayrene Smither
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Beautiful story from Janette Oke, about the family who loses their parents and how the two oldest step up to raise their younger siblings. Warm and fuzzy story with a little romance. Look forward to reading the others in this series.
Helen Brown
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very easy read. I read it in one sitting, while travelling on the train to Sydney. I had it finished just as we came into the outer suburbs of Sydney. I was wondering about the title though until the very end.
Kennedi Rose Q
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!
Book Chick (Tori)
Janette Oke has such a sweet, pure way of storytelling. I enjoyed this book because of it's simplicity. I read it quickly and felt refreshed when I was done.
Jerry
Decent, but not what I've come to expect from this author.
Charity U
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites by Oke. :)
Dorry Lou
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book . Oke did a good job portraying a sister who is 17 years old, her older brother Thomas and 3 younger sisters whose Mama & Papa have passed away. The 2 older ones were responsible to get the 3 younger raised. It was a good story about the challenges as they strived to prepare them for life and tried to have life too.
Allan67
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book that I read to Diana. We can't do much anymore after her stroke, so I read to her to spend time together. Diana has always loved to have someone to read to her - and I like to do just that.

A story of teenagers raising their younger siblings after their parents pass away in the old west. The ending is predictable, but is a nice story. Diana enjoyed the book, it ended as she wanted. I asked her how many stars, she said four - so it is.

Amber
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book!

I read this book when I was a young teenager over 15 years ago, and just reread it. I still love this book as much as I did when I first read it. The storyline is a good reminder to do your best, and to remember that some things are worth waiting for.
Linda
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming together

I love these books but so far after reading the third one in the Women of the West series they don't have a continuing story about the same people. I always liked that in series.
Terry Yaceyko
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely read from my past. A great reminder that while we may lose loved ones in our lives, we never lose our cherished memories of them. (Dedicated to my niece, Fern - in memory of my sister, Cheryl. Fern's beloved mother.)
Lila Diller
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite Janette Oke. A little dry in spots.
Rachel Martin
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reread. Have has this book on my bookshelf for 20 years now. One of my favorite Janette Oke books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Sean Donovan (The Californians, #3)
  • Glory (Brides of the West, #4)
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • In His Arms (Coming to America #3)
  • Port Royal (Buccaneers #1)
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
  • Rivers of Gold (Yukon Quest, #3)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year

Women of the West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West, #1)
  • Julia's Last Hope (Women of the West, #2)
  • A Woman Named Damaris (Women of the West, #4)
  • They Called Her Mrs. Doc (Women of the West, #5)
  • The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West, #6)
  • A Bride for Donnigan (Women of the West, #7)
  • Heart of the Wilderness (Women of the West, #8)
  • Too Long a Stranger (Women of the West, #9)
  • The Bluebird and the Sparrow (Women of the West, #10)
  • A Gown of Spanish Lace (Women of the West, #11)