Start by marking “Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life” as Want to Read:
Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life

Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life

In Getting Results the Agile Way, author J.D. Meier introduces Agile Results(R)-a simple system for meaningful results! It's a systematic way to achieve both short- and long-term results in all aspects of your life-from work to fun. It offers just enough planning to get you going, but makes it easy to change your course as needed. It also provides fresh starts for your day ...more
Published October 6th 2010 by Innovation Playhouse

To ask other readers questions about Getting Results the Agile Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Results the Agile Way

heidi
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, reviewed
This book is very fractal. It introduces a concept and then circles back to it a couple times in increasing depth. It's a logical structure, but you end up feeling like you've read everything a couple times. Perhaps this is better for readers who skim.

My other overall comment is that most productivity systems written out of software make me resentful because they assume that my home-life schedule is something that can be managed. I think I speak for a lot of working parents when I say that my sc
Erin
Dec 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: can-t-get-into
Seriously? The guy needs a better editor. The whole book is a mess of buzz words. Examples: "unimportant items slough off.....you'll rehydrate the when needed." Rehydrate? Rehydrate. "Find a way to flow value...chunk your results down." I have no clue what he means. "Create glide paths". "Identify hot spots". "Create scannable outcomes". "Threats" "levers" "actionable"
This is a Dilbert cartoon. I suspect the book could be rewritten in one chapter if the editor asked him to use regular, that is,
Jon Bash
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book had a number of tips that I found really helpful in terms of getting into an outcome-oriented mindset, but...

1. It's horrendously written. Full of corporate-buzzword-salad, full of overly wordy repetitively verbose redundancy and cliches (I don't even want to count how many times he talks about "seeing the forest from the trees", or how many times he just repeats nearly the exact same material without actually adding any new information).
2. I didn't actually find it very useful in the
Bill
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
My best friend is a person who is, to all appearances, effortlessly organized. When we were roommates in college, he was up early, finished his homework in a demanding scientific discipline (while studying Chinese on the side) before dinner, and went to bed promptly by 9:00 p.m. after a leisurely dinner and a couple of hours of science fiction. This book is not for him.

Being the opposite of my best friend on the organizational scale, much of my life has been spent on a journey to bring life into
Suhrob
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Productivity systems are very personal, one has to sample, experiment and combine until arriving at something that works for him/herself, the tasks at hand and temperament. Therefore the star rating here is not necessarily informative. Your millage might vary.

Meier's book seems to work for me - the main reason is that it is a really small extension to my existing workflow, addressing something I was missing. As for the "tactical" side of my work management, I think I'm quite happy with that. Sin
Artur Matos
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: productivity
People organisationally challenged like myself need to have a system to keep ourselves on track. For the past few years I have been doing GTD, which has been tremendously helpful but I feel it's lacking in some respects, mostly on setting priorities and ensure things are done. The system presented in this book is quite different from GTD and in some sense diametrically opposed, the most notable difference being that you are forced to think about outcomes for the day, month, and year, versus GTD ...more
Joe Cotellese
I want to give this book 5 stars. I just can't. I stumbled upon Agile Results while reading the great book Creating Flow with OmniFocus. Checked out the website, like what I read and purchased the book.

I could have stuck with the website.

The book is poorly edited, extremely repetitive and felt derivative. Some of the concepts I had heard before by different authors. That part isn't too bad because he does bring them together in an interesting way.

The big takeaway for me was the Rule of 3.

I'd s
Lilit Yenokyan
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
This books would have been more suitable as a corporate workshop handbook on time management rather than a serious read. The same concepts, ideas even sentences kept re-occurring all though the book. Everything could have been summarized in 30 pages. I found chapter 10 - results frame, personas and pitfalls the most interesting part.

I heard about this book while working at Microsoft, and could "feel" the corporate approach of the author who has been a program manager at Microsoft for many years
Teacup
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an eye-opener for me. It really changed the way I systemized my life. For the longest time I've followed the GTD method, and while it's still effective, there are parts of it that made me feel GTD was more effective as a project management system and curating information for projects as opposed to a full-fledged system to organize a lifestyle. Meier's book is a conclusive approach, thought at times it feels slightly overwhelming at the amount of information that is required to set up a ...more
Heslei
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although it repeat itself, there are a lot of good tips.
I'm putting into practice to do the worst things first and to delivery three things per day.
Davy Buntinx
May 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks
Nogal weinig ruggegraat in dit boek, dat dan nog eens vol met herhaling zit.
Rosie
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This book gives you three ways to read it - as a guide, cover to cover, or as a template, or take it for a test drive. I read it as a guide. I read it a few pages a night over a long period of time and I tried to use some of the basic ideas presented in my life, but never adopted the full structure.

I am an Agilist at work, mostly using Scrum, and I use personal kanban a lot in my daily work and personal life. This book presents a fairly complicated structure for being Agile in your life. Some pr
J Crossley
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Redesign Your Processes

I really found this book helpful. It is full of information. Sometimes I get bored when there are a great number of stories to illustrate the principles that the author is speaking about. This was just right.

The author structured the book so that you can understand and remember the concepts. At the beginning of each chapter, he would say what you would learn. Then he gave the concepts. At the end of each chapter was a summary.

The Rule of Three was great to learn. I usua
Mihaelaborta
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book describes systems and practices for getting to the outcomes one aspires to, while also making sure that their life as a whole is balanced and the 'right' attention and care are allocated to all the realms that make up a functioning life.

The ideas and systems presented seem to be rooted in a lot of common sense and distilled through experience and a lot of self reflection. Thus, I personally value most of them.

The evident caveat that the book has though is that it is pretty repetitive. I
Angel Arturo
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good summary of many different techniques I've read about through the years. I've thought of making a hybrid productivity system a long time ago since I read "Getting Things Done" to update it to this analog world.

This is exactly what I had in mind. The book suffers due to lack of depth but it summarizes neatly all the things I want to build on the system. It can be more cohesive and synergistic but this is still a good intro.

I suggest reading this cover to cover, then going to The 7 habits of
Kam
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
For someone who's trying to create a system for productivity, there were some useful tips that I was able to apply such as the Rule of 3, and the templates that were provided.

What made me NOT finish the book though is that it contains a lot of repetitive and redundant ideas that I just decided to skim the rest of the book.
Chester
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The more you get in the habit of making time for what’s most important, the more you’ll get great results.

If you’re not driving your day and time, then someone else will.

Do the worst things first. Sometimes they’re the most important, and then you won’t dread them all day.
Sunil Nair
Nov 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Sorry. Just didn’t like it. It’s way too Systems focused than I’d like... I’d like a simpler way please. My life’s too overloaded already! It seems like a cross between GTD and some super complicated productivity system out there.

I’m going back to ZTD (zen to dine)! :-/
Finlay
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thinking-skills
A mix of Stephen Covey, Getting Things Done, and agile development. Some people complain it's repetitive, but I think it's more iterative -- you can skim to the parts that resonate for you, and then read deeper, and some points will be reiterated there.
Kevin Hozak
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Good as a reference for people who have read about these ideas in other books. But this would probably be a dull read for anyone just getting into personal productivity. Many lists of ideas without much explanation. Lots of repetition.
Edward Robert
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It was pretty repetitive, but it does have a lot of good examples to live your life in an agile manner. I would have liked more examples of what some of the daily, week, monthly visions would have looked like.
Sarah Parsons
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Repetitive and could have been stronger with more examples, but overall some really useful actionable advice to reframe how we think about tasks vs outcomes.
James Lusher
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Immense - this is how to do anything
Aivars Meijers
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book, but could be 1/2 shorter. To much repetition on basic things.
Irene
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars (reason for 0.5 star deduction explained later in this review*)

I don't often read self-help type books, but "Getting Results the Agile Way" sounded interesting (thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for the free book!). I am still in an early stage of my career, but it's never too early to implement 'best practices'. This book is not earth-shattering, but it does have a lot of simple yet effective ideas for improving productivity and information management.

An example of one of these
Erika RS
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, physical
(Note: this review is based on an an online pre-print draft of the book.)

This book discusses a system for accomplishing things that focuses on "results" rather than "tasks". The idea is that by explicitly defining and regularly revisiting your top three results for the year, month, day, and week, you can make better decisions about what tasks you should do from moment to moment.

The core pattern that Meier presents is the "Monday Vision, Daily Outcomes, and Friday Reflection" pattern. Using this
Martin Duncanson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of productivity and time management books over the years, but this is the best of them all, hands down!

Simple to implement (unlike other systems like Scrum) and yet powerful - highly effective, likely because of being so simple to execute.

I'm about to read this again.
Nicolas
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I didn't really enjoyed all the repetitions, Agile Results is on of the best productivity system out there.
Annie
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The approach is simple but the practice is hard. Key points are to focus on outcomes (not the number of activities), time (something good completed today versus something perfect planned for next year), and reliability (make sure to test it at each iteration). Set the boundaries at the beginning - what are the expected results, how much time for the iterative deliverables, and the standard approach and techniques to do the work effectively and efficiently.

Start by selecting 3 outcomes in a hot s
Vijay Varadan
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: productivity
tl;dr Version: Recommended (but only chapters 1-4)
The book uses Agile principles as a basis for defining a results oriented approach to work and personal life. The meat of the book is in the first part, chapters 1-4 (about 60 pages). Parts II-III and the appendix (the remaining 180 pages) expand on the information in part I (needlessly?). Be warned, there is a lot of unnecessary repetition of the same information with added verbosity later in the book. Despite all these negatives, I highly recom
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You
  • 52 Mondays: The One Year Path to Outrageous Success & Lifelong Happiness
  • Work Smarter: 500+ Online Resources Today's Top Entrepreneurs Use To Increase Productivity and Achieve Their Goals: Updated and Expanded for 2015
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Level Up Your Day: How to Maximize the 6 Essential Areas of Your Daily Routine
  • Zen to Done
  • Do You Matter? How Great Design Will Make People Love Your Company
  • Secrets of a Working Dog: Unleash Your Potential and Create Success
  • The Organized Kitchen: Keep Your Kitchen Clean, Organized, And Full Of Good Food and Save Time, Money, (And Your Sanity) Every Day!
  • Creating Flow with OmniFocus
  • Getting Organized: Improving Focus, Organization and Productivity
  • The Productive Person: A how-to guide book filled with productivity hacks & daily schedules for entrepreneurs, students or anyone struggling with work-life balance.
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • Turn Your Dreams And Wants Into Achievable SMART Goals!
  • Mini-missions for Simplicity: small actions for massive change
  • The Pomodoro Technique
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work Navigating Life

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Approach over Results. How you accomplish your results is more important than the results themselves in the long run. Your approach is your foundation. It’s what you fall back on when you don’t know the way forward. Your approach should be sustainable. You should also be able to improve your approach over time. Your approach should be consistent with your values. Your approach should play to your strengths and limit your weaknesses.” 1 likes
“SMART is an acronym to help you improve your goals: S = Specific M = Measurable A = Actionable R = Realistic T = Timely You support yourself better by creating specific, measurable, actionable, realistic, timely goals.” 1 likes