Start by marking “Software Project Survival Guide” as Want to Read:
Software Project Survival Guide

Software Project Survival Guide

Equip yourself with SOFTWARE PROJECT SURVIVAL GUIDE. It's for everyone with a stake in the outcome of a development project--and especially for those without formal software project management training. That includes top managers, executives, clients, investors, end-user representatives, project managers, and technical leads.

Here you'll find guidance from the acclaimed au
Published October 22nd 1997 by Microsoft Press (first published October 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Software Project Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Software Project Survival Guide

David Brockley
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lot of this book was common sense stuff that I already do. There were a number of new concepts that I think will be valuable improvements to the way that I work. The key thing that I got from this book though were the small number of instances that played out like this: That's a really good idea. I've come across this before and decided that it should be done... I don't actually do this, do I? Why do I not do this already? So chastened, I think I came away from this book a better engineer.
David
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even after more than 20 years of being published this book gives you practical tips to avoid failing on your current (if just started) or next software project.

Many of the recommendations need to be adjusted to your needs of course. Guidelines should be followed and modified depending on the size of the project, the size and expertise of the team and the time to complete the project, among many others.

If you have some experience with software projects (which will make a lot of sense since you a
Josh Allred
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
You have to dig for it but there are some tidbits in here that will help you ship your project out the door.
Ralph Callaway
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
heavily focused on waterfall methodologies, but still full of good ideas and ways of thinking about software projects
Tom Schulte
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, possibly the most concise and short of McConnell's software design and project management tomes. I found I labeled for reference many spots in this work: Customer's Bill of Rights, Survival Test Score (cf., Raleigh Model), a good overview of required elements of a software process around requirements. Among the points I found interesting was the research into the ineffeciency of open work bays vis-avis the need for continued focus by developers.

I also liked the broad view
Keith
Feb 16, 2010 marked it as to-read
It appears that I will be the technical lead on a new software project---a project that will be substantially larger than the typical research projects I've worked on. So I'm planning to revisit some of my books on managing software projects, including this title. I just hope I don't need to re-read Death March!
Craig Cecil
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computers
Most of us have been involved with software projects that we would just as soon forget--or at least run away from screaming. If you want to learn how software projects should be run, or how to run one correctly yourself, then Steve McConnell presents a straightforward, common-sense approach that can be applied to all types of projects. The companion web site provides a complete collection of templates to support all aspects of managing a software project.
Aggiebradley
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought this was an excellent book back when I originally read it, years ago. There is some great advice. But I attempted to re-read this book recently and it felt dated in the age of Agile development and Scrum.

I wonder if it could be updated to provide more recent content while keeping the basic information together?
Lyle
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I first read this book, but I remember that it's the sort of opinionated, no-nonsense kind of guide that's really useful for beginning project managers who just need someone to tell them "how to do it", until they can get the hang of things and start to develop their own project management style. I suspect that most of the advice still holds up well.
Michael Ryan
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Steve McConnell is always worth reading.

This book has some good stuff in it.

All I would say is that, just because it says, "Constantly manage stakeholder expectations," for example, does not mean that it is easy to do, or that anyone who reads this book can actually do it. Still, to read the sentence is probably better than not reading it.
Krishna Kumar
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A reasonably good introduction to managing software projects. The author uses a typical waterfall model for the book and emphasizes many important concepts, such as getting requirements right and the need for planning. Overall, a good starter book, but most people should move onto reading other books on software project management.
Scott
Jul 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
I became a project lead somewhat quickly and unexpectedly and this was one of the first books I picked up to get a handle of what I could be expected of me. It proved to be a good thing to read and has served me well since.
Amr Abuellil
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
u will find the link to the author website were he has much more books for you .

in this link http://your-wayout.blogspot.com/2012/...

this is my blog ... u will find more topics about other books too ..

Danien
Mar 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Lots of checklists that are theoretically sound and good for large teams and projects but the overhead is way too high for smaller projects.
Alexey Ivanov
Dropped.
Josh Readmore
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
The programmers and customers bill of rights at the beginning of the book is just golden.
k.wing
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Skimmed this one. The information could've possibly summarized in a short article, but good step-by-step for a software team.
Timoteo Ponce
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book with lots of useful advices for project management in general, some concepts have to be updated, but in general all principles are applyable
Adam
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Adam by: Software Engineers
Shelves: technical, business
I consider this required reading for anyone in a position to manage or participate in a software project of any size.
Russ Painter
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
It's been a while since I read this. It was a great book about the entire process and how to avoid the death march.
Steve Whiting
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent common-sense project management guide; probably more suited to less-formal development groups

(re-added due to list entry becoming corrupted)
Jorge DeFlon
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Un libro de consejos sobre como volver a tener control sobre un proyecto
Barry
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very good book on successful software project delivery. Some will find the book dated but the principles are still very sound and relevant.
Minh Trần Nhật
Jan 31, 2012
Ugur
Jul 09, 2012

• Dynamics of Software Development
  • Debugging the Development Process: Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid Teams
  • Mastering the Requirements Process
  • Death March
  • User Interface Design for Programmers
  • Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative
  • Writing Effective Use Cases
  • Writing Secure Code
  • UML Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language
  • Software Requirements: Practical Techniques for Gathering and Managing Requirements Throughout the Product Development Cycle
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide (Agile Software Development Series)
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Concurrent Programming in Java�: Design Principles and Pattern
  • Testing Computer Software
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • The Psychology of Computer Programming
  • Manage Your Project Portfolio

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“As Thomas Hobbes observed in the 17th century, life under mob rule is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short. Life on a poorly run software project is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and hardly ever short enough.” 1 likes