Start by marking “Eloquent Ruby” as Want to Read:
Eloquent Ruby

Eloquent Ruby

(Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)

It's easy to write correct Ruby code, but to gain the fluency needed to write great Ruby code, you must go beyond syntax and absorb the "Ruby way" of thinking and problem solving. In Eloquent Ruby, Russ Olsen helps you write Ruby like true Rubyists do-so you can leverage its immense, surprising power. Olsen draws on years of experience internalizing the Ruby culture and ...more
Published February 21st 2011 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published January 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eloquent Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eloquent Ruby

Start your review of Eloquent Ruby
Augusto
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Eloquent Ruby takes a ride through 30 topics about Ruby, from how the Ruby community idents code to Metaprogramming and how to publish a Gem to RubyGems.

I really liked the flow of the book, it's not dense at all and it's full of examples. This is the type of books that I like to read: 300-400 pages, easy to start and easy to finish :).

I think it's a great book for someone who has done some ruby before, but who doesn't feel comfortable with the language yet.
I think it might be an excellent
Joel Oliveira
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this - the first programming book I've ever read from start to finish. Russ Olsen does an amazing job making the subject interesting and digestible. As I got through the Metaprogramming chapters I really started feeling like I was *getting* it ... like I was leveling up my skills.

Can't wait to put some of these new concepts and tricks into practice.
Stefan Teixeira
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book about the Ruby language. It covers almost everything about the language in a very concise way. It is great both for beginners and for people who already have experience with Ruby.
Ryszard G
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
If any of my friends asked me if "Eloquent Ruby" was a good way to start their journey with Ruby, I'd rather say "no". This book starts really innocently, with explanations of many subjects commonly considered as "easy". It gives a good insight about Ruby, how ceratain features of both Ruby and Rails (and many more live examples are mentioned as well) work. It also focused in introducing blocks, procs and other Ruby-related subjects.

But starting from somewhere around middle of the book, every
Oana Sipos
Jan 18, 2014 is currently reading it
Shelves: programming
121. "First, each method should do a single thing—focus on solving a single aspect of the problem. By concentrating on one thing, your methods are not only easier to write, they are also easier to understand.

Second, each method needs to operate at a single conceptual level: Simply put, don’t mix high-level logic with the nitty-gritty details. A method that implements the business logic around, say, currency conversions, should not suddenly veer off into the details of how the various accounts
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming, ruby
This book is a true gem! Mostly written for people coming to Ruby from other programming languages, Russ Olsen doesn't dwell on banalities, but instead teaches you good, idiomatic Ruby. The presented material is excellent and the writing is witty and clever. If you are new to programming this is probably not the best book for you, but if you have experience in some other language or "just" want to get more fluent in Ruby, "Eloquent Ruby" is hard to beat.
Harri Kauhanen
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ruby
The best Ruby book I've read so far. Probably suits best for "intermediate" Ruby developers wanting to learn bits about implementing DSLs, metaprogramming, enumerators and just plain old object oriented Ruby. Chapter about regular expressions explained the stuff better than many regexp books do. Very, well, written.
blake
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it-s-a-living
This is a very good book on what is a rather difficult topic. The idea of "eloquence" is broad and opinionated and at first I thought the author was going to be covering very basic stuff that was easy to pick up. Early on there were a lot of "best practices" that it didn't seem like you could even learn Ruby without absorbing at some point. And the (contrived, but of course) example seemed like it might be too broad and vague to hang your hat on.

A lot of tech books are content to rehash basic
Vivek Kumar
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think by reading this book I got a different perspective about my Ruby on Rails application. During my 3 years of professional career I had never implemented something using a ruby block, but while reading this book I did implement a custom iterator using ruby blocks. Moreover, this book has given me more confidence for reading out the source code of various gems and libraries.
Landon
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Ruby book. It's an in-depth love letter to the cleanliness and elegance of Ruby. Reading this book made me a better Ruby developer. It helped me to understand and appreciate the underlying aesthetic to clean and concise code.
Andy
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book should be called "Ruby: The Bad Parts."
Hinesh Patel
This book provides a good deep dive into Ruby but is outdated.
Marat Chardymov
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book for novices, easy to read, but I'd say too elementary in the beginning
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is divided into four parts labeled:

1) The Basics
2) Classes, Modules, and Blocks
3) Metaprogramming
4) Pulling It All Together

Rating them individually I'd give five stars to the first two, three stars to the third & two in the fourth for an overall average, rounded up, of four.

I felt like the first two sections provided an incredible foundation to the syntax of the language. Highly recommended. These sections alone justify the purchase of the book.

The material presented in the
Case
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was perfect for me. It is expected that you have programming knowledge and get the general ideas of how to write good code, but need to know how to do it well in Ruby.

I love the layout of each chapter, in that I feel it generally covers well why each feature is useful and how to avoid impaling yourself on the sharp stick of Ruby with said feature.

The writing was entertaining though a bit rough in a few places. It has the feel of a book that has been aggressively edited down to
Wangyiran
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
i have read chapter 1-4,it teach me some ruby characters,and some basic knowlege for ruby,but not important for me to consider how to write good program and mainable program.so if you don't be actually want to be ruby programmer,just scan these chapters.

chapter 8 is surprising.it tell me ruby is not dynamic type which is more important different than java.the chapter should be read twice.
now i just give it 3 stars,util i finish all chapters.

i think the book is not suit for novice of ruby,it
Chris
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I slowly read through the book and this was my second attempt at reading it. Olsen's style is wonderful and keeps the content he is covering interesting.

He covers many subjects that even an experienced developer will find useful. Also it reminded me about so many features in ruby that I don't get to use every day.

Sadly the book is a little out of date and talks mostly about 1.8.7 and YARV (1.9). It would be wonderful to see a revised version come out. But even without that it's a book you can
Bjoern Rochel
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
The perfect blend between Blacks "Wellgrounded Rubyist" and Perrottas "Metaprogramming Ruby". I especially liked all the real world examples from well known frameworks and tools ranging from rake, rspec to rails and cucumber. The only chapter that felt a bit disconnected from the rest, was the chapter on the various Ruby runtimes, though it was certainly interesting. If you're new to Ruby (like I am) I can only recommend reading this book, it's worth the time!!!
Jonathon Jones
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
An excellent book overall, Olsen's conversational style combines with solid Ruby expertise to great effect. The examples are useful and illustrate his points well without cluttering up the text. He also gives lots of real world examples of the things he mentions, which makes it even more clear how his techniques are actually applied.

Highly recommended, even for developers who already know Ruby - there's a lot to learn here.
Daria
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a book that would introduce you to Ruby when you're coming from other languages, this is it. Very clear and eloquent (!) writing, very easy to follow and understand.

I particularly appreciate that the author went into different Ruby parsers and elaborated at least a little on how C/Java under the hood work.
Jesper Lugner
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
For me, this is the golden standard of how books about programming should be written. Every chapter is informative, short and full of great tips and guidelines. Reading this book will grant you a deeper understanding of the Ruby programming language, as well as quite a few laughs. Can't recommend it enough.
Milad Rastian
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is awesome book if you already know how to program but don't know where to start learning Ruby.

It explains all the important features in Ruby that you've missed in your beloved language! Don't need to convert to Ruby immediately, just take look and enjoy Ruby's eloquence and beauty.
Ahmed Attyah
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ruby-on-rails
The best Ruby book IMHO, excellent for beginners and a reference for experienced as well, should be on every ruby developer shelf, loved the author style, would love to read more books written by him.
Diego
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a well written book with some good insights but I think I should have tried to read it earlier.

After working with Ruby for some time and read The Ruby programming language, I found most of the content more of the same.
Graham Lee
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As someone who understands the concepts of OOP from other languages like Smalltalk and ObjC, and knows just enough Ruby to be hazardous to shipping, I found this book to be an accessible discussion of Ruby style and technique. The chapters on metaprogramming were particularly great.
Balaji
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
For a long time I am trying to read a Ruby book. First, I read Micheal Hartl's Ruby on Rails Tutorial. This book actually explains stuffs on writing Ruby code, The best practices upon writing Ruby code,etc. A nice book to get the feeling of programming disciplines.
Rick Toews
Just started this book. My initial impression is that it should be fun to read: the author clearly has a sense of humor, so I expect the book to provide a lot of good content, while not being merely boringly didactic.
Olly
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a programming book in a while and this was really good, harking back to the good old days when I was just embarking on my career. This is Effective C++ / Effective Java for the Ruby generation.
Gyuri
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Although I use ruby for a while, I learnt lot of new things and also clarified parts of ruby I misunderstood. I recommend this book even to more experienced ruby developers at least as an excellent refresher. I enjoyed Russ Olsen's writing style. Thanks for this book!
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Got my dead trees in the mail today. :-) Looking forward to the re-read.
SF Ruby Book Club: I see you are reading Eloquent Ruby... 3 15 Mar 08, 2013 10:46AM

• Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide
  • Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • Clean Architecture
  • The RSpec Book
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • Language Implementation Patterns: Techniques for Implementing Domain-Specific Languages
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • The Ruby Programming Language

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Rails 3 Way
  • Rails Antipatterns: Best Practice Ruby on Rails Refactoring
  • Service-Oriented Design with Ruby and Rails
  • Distributed Programming with Ruby
  • Refactoring: Ruby Edition, Adobe Reader
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • The Rails Way
  • Professional Ruby Series Writing Efficient Ruby Code
“Write the tests first, or second, or third. But write the darned tests.” 1 likes
“That voice you hear in your head, the one whispering that you need to add some comments, may just be your program crying out to be rewritten.” 0 likes