Start by marking “Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making” as Want to Read:
Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making

Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making

Completely revised and updated, the second edition is loaded with new tools and techniques.

Two powerful new chapters on agenda design A full section devoted to reaching closure More than twice as many tools for handling difficult dynamics 70 brand-new pages and over 100 pages significantly improved
Published March 1st 2007 by Jossey-Bass (first published March 1st 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making

Start your review of Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
Andrea James
When the book arrived I thought “Geez it’s another big one!” Although there’s a part of me that hopes that it is chock full of insights and life-changing practices, experience tells me that most of the time it’s because the authors are entrenched in heavy (often self-aggrandising) language.

I have an incredibly large pile of books to read for work and so I also appreciate the books that give me new ways of thinking in a quick and concise manner (a bonus if they are entertaining too!)
When I opene
Sergey Shishkin
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Great workbook for anyone who needs to facilitate groups.
Lars Corneliussen
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Game-changing book for anyone who facilitates groups towards solutions for complex problems. Especially in situations, where you don't have unity of command, but must rely on unity of effort and cross-group collaboration. The authors main experience seeems to be in facilitating for the public sector, but the concepts map very well to many different situations I have been in when facilitating problem solving for software, organisational design, strategy, sometimes even family issues.

The main insi
Alex
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is the first book on facilitation I've read. And it looks like a right place to start. First, it's very comprehensive with lots of tools, processes, cases, but even more important for me is the belief that groups can make participatory and sustainable decisions that underpins all the the technical stuff.

For me, it will take time to digest everything that this book has to offer, and I'm sure I will use it a lot as a reference in the future.

So highly recommended to those who conducts meeting an
Andrew
Read as part of a requirement in a course on Facilitation, Coordination and Decision Making in Multi-Stakeholder Environments (Disaster Emergency Management). It's OK for what it offers: big font, lots of examples, and little games, exercises, and best practices on facilitation and participation. It might be incredibly useful for the ultra-shy manager or newbie to the field.
Andrew
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is definitely a lot of good information in this book and definitely something I think would be useful to keep around as a reference. The clip art and illustrations are completely over the top, though.
Nestor Jimenez
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: profesion
Easy to read and structurated in the best way. Great companion book!
Margie
One of the best facilitation guides available. Both content-rich and easy to read.
Peter
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is THE handbook for facilitating a group decision making process. Chances are that if you have experienced good meeting facilitation you’ll be reminded while reading this. All the major tactics are described and combined with practical advice on how to run a meeting. The level of practicality of this handbook is astonishing. IT includes activity scripts, how to react to difficult group dynamics and much more.
Toni Tassani
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-physical
Fantastic book for facilitators! It provides lots of useful advice for decision making within groups. I learnt about diverging-groan-converging diamond in "Gamestorming", a latter book, but this one contains more insights and tools in order to help groups to better meetings. Highly recommended as a reference.
Pow
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Now I understand why one person kept it for 6 years and returned to library only after I requested it. :)
I was reading the second edition and hope the third will be even better.
I suggest to read it for all managers, leaders, scrum masters.
Michele
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent resource for anyone needing to facilitate group process and move ideas into action.
Ruth Britt
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended for every new facilitator's library...and a great resource for training new facilitators.
Marco
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: decisionmaking
Very hands-on, filled with practical advice, to the point. Extremely useful. Facilitators can't do without it
Ed
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome reference guide for the experienced facilitator, and fantastic place to start for the newbie.
Allison
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A valuable resource for team leadership.
Rachel
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extremely useful book for my major!
Todd Davidson
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s a text book so only pick up if you facilitate meetings. If you do, this will make all of your future facilitating much better and easier.
Wes
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know how sometimes meetings are awesome and sometimes meeting suck? Usually we blame it on the people who happened to be at the meeting, "Gee, that guy was disruptive or dominating," or "Everybody seemed scattered and disorganized." However, it is seldom recognized that the facilitator of a meeting makes the difference between successful and sucktastic. For those of us who lead meetings often or occasionally, this book comes to the rescue!

The Facilitators Guide to Participatory Decision Maki
Helen Savore
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is another great working book. Its not the type you just read and put aside. It is overlarge and earns it. Only a single concept is on a page (or sometimes more) which lends a great cohesion to the book. Part of the reason for this is the photocopying permission's given to certain sections but it also helped with retention, and will help with review. Concepts are not crammed in tight they are given enough space to stand on their own and have any and all supporting visuals. There was a lot o ...more
Sarah Evan
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A really well thought out book that covers the basics of facilitating group discussions/meetings. I apprecaite how it breaks down concepts that if you've been facilitating groups, gives name to different strategies. Can't speak to what it is like as a resource to help you get started (esp since group facilitation is about practice, which is hard to cover in a book). Helpful place to start for conveying skills/concepts to groups of new facilitators, and then to add my own ideas.
Quinton Baran
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent business book of facilitation and running meetings effectively, and dealing with group think, frustrations, and building solutions that are not easy to discover. This is because tough problems are just that - tough for groups to work through. As the book illustrates, they lead to the groan zone, where many groups give up or capitulate to poor decisions. This book has many wonderful examples and ideas to get people talking and to truly collaborate on solutions.
Alexandria Skinner
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Takes the daunting subject of leading group meeting so as to achieve results that reflect best practices in decision processes, and step by step walks the reader through ins and outs of the facilitation process Diagrams and flow charts are wonderfully appealing, easy to read and follow.
Adam Nott
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was part of a Advanced Facilitation course. useful as a tool for directing the class and instructions for activities, it is a bit of slog as a stand alone book. however it is a great resource to be kept close at hand for future facilitation work and improving skills.
pjr8888
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, work-life
nothing extraordinary... good basic stuff.
Jaszmina
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: research
Best first-read for those interested in facilitating decision making groups and managing group dynamics.
Sandy Lopes
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's basic stuff, but very well presented! A good reference for anyone needing to run participative group processes
David Grant
I've never seen a more thorough approach to group functioning. The concept of "The Groan Zone" alone is worth the price of admission.
Johan Oskarsson
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Just awesome!
Lorenzo
Nov 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: agile
Not a keeper - for me. But a novice facilitator will find lots of useful ideas to think about. Be aware, however, that the book is ... shall we say: aesthetically challenged.

• Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Dinosaurs
  • Leading with Gratitude: Eight Leadership Practices for Extraordinary Business Results
  • Kanban in Action
  • Writing Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions, Grades K-8
  • The Jobs To Be Done Playbook: Align Your Markets, Organization, and Strategy Around Customer Needs
  • Rework
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • Ons feilbare denken op het werk
  • Meetings Suck: Turning One of The Most Loathed Elements of Business into One of the Most Valuable