Start by marking “Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making” as Want to Read:
Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making

Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making

Completely revised and updated, the second edition is loaded with new tools and techniques.

Two powerful new chapters on agenda design A full section devoted to reaching closure More than twice as many tools for handling difficult dynamics 70 brand-new pages and over 100 pages significantly improved
Published March 1st 2007 by Jossey-Bass (first published March 1st 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making

Start your review of Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
Andrea James
When the book arrived I thought “Geez it’s another big one!” Although there’s a part of me that hopes that it is chock full of insights and life-changing practices, experience tells me that most of the time it’s because the authors are entrenched in heavy (often self-aggrandising) language.

I have an incredibly large pile of books to read for work and so I also appreciate the books that give me new ways of thinking in a quick and concise manner (a bonus if they are entertaining too!)
When I opene
Sergey Shishkin
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Great workbook for anyone who needs to facilitate groups.
Lars Corneliussen
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Game-changing book for anyone who facilitates groups towards solutions for complex problems. Especially in situations, where you don't have unity of command, but must rely on unity of effort and cross-group collaboration. The authors main experience seeems to be in facilitating for the public sector, but the concepts map very well to many different situations I have been in when facilitating problem solving for software, organisational design, strategy, sometimes even family issues.

The main insi
Regis Hattori
Aug 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tool, soft-skill
I really liked the Introduction and Part 1 because it shows that is very easy to be trapped by two extremes:
- Getting into a solution too soon that you have no opportunity to understand the problem broadly and deeply enough.
- Getting into a solution too late with infinity discussions

Those sections are very clear on how facilitation skill is important to solve complex problems because it is not "natural" to escape from those extremes. We need some effort and technique.

I recommend this part for ev
Alex
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is the first book on facilitation I've read. And it looks like a right place to start. First, it's very comprehensive with lots of tools, processes, cases, but even more important for me is the belief that groups can make participatory and sustainable decisions that underpins all the the technical stuff.

For me, it will take time to digest everything that this book has to offer, and I'm sure I will use it a lot as a reference in the future.

So highly recommended to those who conducts meeting an
Todd Cheng
Mar 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
A great collection of methods for improving dialog across diversity of conflicting issues. Like a textbook it unravels the major topics in this field. The text provides a deeper dive into practices needed to facilitate healthier outcomes. It combined with Thrive are very helpful for gaining the insights to better support your team as a mid level management. A great narrative to develop your practice to have the grit to support others on their own journey.
Kathy
Oct 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for facilitating participatory democracy discussions. Simple and to the point with great use of diagrams
Andrew
Read as part of a requirement in a course on Facilitation, Coordination and Decision Making in Multi-Stakeholder Environments (Disaster Emergency Management). It's OK for what it offers: big font, lots of examples, and little games, exercises, and best practices on facilitation and participation. It might be incredibly useful for the ultra-shy manager or newbie to the field. ...more
Andrew
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is definitely a lot of good information in this book and definitely something I think would be useful to keep around as a reference. The clip art and illustrations are completely over the top, though.
Nestor Jimenez
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: profession
Easy to read and structurated in the best way. Great companion book!
Margie
One of the best facilitation guides available. Both content-rich and easy to read.
Ana Claudia Santos-Cortez
Let’s be clear on something: no one is born knowing about business management. One needs to gain the skills and experience along the years.
When I first started doing Agile Coaching work, shadowing more experienced teammates, I always wondered how they got such outstanding facilitation skills, how they were able to engage a room full of people whose objectives were not aligned at first. When I asked them about that, the answer was always the same “it comes with observation and practice”.
I felt th
Peter
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is THE handbook for facilitating a group decision making process. Chances are that if you have experienced good meeting facilitation you’ll be reminded while reading this. All the major tactics are described and combined with practical advice on how to run a meeting. The level of practicality of this handbook is astonishing. IT includes activity scripts, how to react to difficult group dynamics and much more.
Toni Tassani
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-physical
Fantastic book for facilitators! It provides lots of useful advice for decision making within groups. I learnt about diverging-groan-converging diamond in "Gamestorming", a latter book, but this one contains more insights and tools in order to help groups to better meetings. Highly recommended as a reference. ...more
Logan
Jun 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
How groups make decisions plays such a huge part in the quality of life for so many individuals. This book is chock full of techniques, wisdom, and practical examples of how to navigate these.
Facilitation is an underutilized and underappreciated skill, and one that anyone can cultivate if they participate in group decision making.
Pow
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Now I understand why one person kept it for 6 years and returned to library only after I requested it. :)
I was reading the second edition and hope the third will be even better.
I suggest to read it for all managers, leaders, scrum masters.
Michele
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent resource for anyone needing to facilitate group process and move ideas into action.
Ruth Britt
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended for every new facilitator's library...and a great resource for training new facilitators. ...more
Marco
Very hands-on, filled with practical advice, to the point. Extremely useful. Facilitators can't do without it ...more
Allison
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A valuable resource for team leadership.
Rachel
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extremely useful book for my major!
Todd Davidson
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s a text book so only pick up if you facilitate meetings. If you do, this will make all of your future facilitating much better and easier.
Adrianna Woltmann
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great book! It would be five stars but I can see two main issues with it. Chapters could be ordered in more thoughtful way and some examples are so outdated that it is almost painful to read.
Paulo Nunes de Abreu
Aug 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An absolute must-read for anyone considering group facilitation as a profession.
Mikhail
Nov 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A set of simple instructions and points which will put you way ahead of many terrible meetings I’ve ( and probably you ) attended
Jonathan Cummings
Jan 14, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-owned
There is always more to cover when it comes to participatory decision making, so this doesn't cover it all, but it covers a lot of the key elements and I'm sure I'll keep coming back to this book. ...more
Joshua Booker
Jan 15, 2022 rated it really liked it
Excellent. My only complaint is that the page design is too samey and it’s almost impossible to tell what chapter you’re in.
Cady Johnson
Jun 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This is a great reference guide for anyone who has to facilitate any type of meetings in a corporate setting.
Jens
Feb 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical thoughts and tools to enable group processes and decision-making. Reading it cover-to-cover becomes a bit repetitive, but book will work well for later reference
Wes
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know how sometimes meetings are awesome and sometimes meeting suck? Usually we blame it on the people who happened to be at the meeting, "Gee, that guy was disruptive or dominating," or "Everybody seemed scattered and disorganized." However, it is seldom recognized that the facilitator of a meeting makes the difference between successful and sucktastic. For those of us who lead meetings often or occasionally, this book comes to the rescue!

The Facilitators Guide to Participatory Decision Maki

• The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters
  • Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership
  • Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges, and Leaderboards
  • Just Like Mother
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers
  • Building a Discipling Culture
  • Faith Without Fear: How to Share What You Believe with Confidence and Power
  • The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body- Without Machines
  • Effective Group Coaching: Tried and Tested Tools and Resources for Optimum Coaching Results
  • Nine Marks of a Healthy Church
  • Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss
  • The Surprising Power of Liberating Structures: Simple Rules to Unleash A Culture of Innovation
  • National Geographic Road Atlas - Adventure Edition
  • Sea of Rust (Sea of Rust, #1)
  • 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge: Recipes and Workouts for a Slimmer, Healthier You
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we're always on alert for any shifts in readerly attention that we can spot. Recently we've noticed a...