Start by marking “Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)” as Want to Read:
Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)

Ramona and Her Father

(Ramona Quimby #4)

Ramona's father has lost his job and all the family are miserable, so Ramona decides to try and cheer them up, in her own inimitable way.
Published November 9th 2000 by Oxford University Press (first published August 1st 1977)

Start your review of Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4), Beverly Cleary
Ramona and Her Father is the fourth book in Beverly Cleary's popular Ramona Quimby series. In this humorous children's novel, Mr. Quimby loses his job and Ramona thinks up ways to earn money and help her family out. Published in 1977, Ramona and Her Father was a Newbery Honor Book.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دهم ماه فوریه سال 2005 م
عنوان: رامونا و پدرش؛ نویسنده: بورلی کلی یری؛ مترجم: نورا حق پرست؛ تصویرگر: آلن تی یگرین؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، کانون پرورش فکر
Kevin Fink
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 80s childhood nostalgics
Oh! I had hoped that this book would be as fun and lovely as I remembered. When I received it in my sweaty hands, I said, "Oh my. I remember this book as a lot thicker." But you know what? It was fun and lovely and nostalgic. I read it in one day, on two bus trips to work and back. Who can forget Nosmo King? And the crown of burrs? And Ramona wanting to be on television commercials so she can earn a million dollars and her father and family can be happy again? And the bittersweet Christmas endin ...more
Vanessa
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ramona was filled with joy. Christmas was the most beautiful, magic time of the whole year. Her parents loved her, and she loved them, and Beezus, too. At home there was a Christmas tree and under it, presents, fewer than at last Christmases, but presents all the same. Ramona could not contain her feelings. “B-a-a,” she bleated joyfully.

She felt the nudge of a shepherd’s crook on the seat of her costume and heard her shepherd whisper through clenched teeth, “You be quiet!”

In this fourth book in
Manybooks
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I have generally very much enjoyed Ramona and her Father and think that Beverly Clearly has painted and portrayed not only an enjoyably humorous, but also very much realistic portrait of middle class American childhood (not dwelling on the negatives, but at the same time, also not shying away from potential problems and issues, such as the trials and tribulations faced by the Quimby family when the father loses his job), I do tend to feel that the ending of Ramona and Her Father is a bit r ...more
Nadia
Oct 10, 2019 added it
Bedtime stories with my kiddos = reliving my childhood. I love Ramona's spunk. I learned about things like Sunday school. But I'm also discovering why I was so hungry for representation in children's books.

As a writer, I strive to tell the story that hasn't yet been told and hope it makes a reader feel heard and seen.
Naksed
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This lady is a genius. That she can write compellingly about sad, virtually incomprehensible things to children, like unemployment, depression and addiction and make it totally appropriate and comprehensible for my third and fifth grader is TOTALLY AMAZING. And what's more, you don't feel like jumping off a bridge at the end because she offers you hope and faith, without being cheesy or preachy. My kidlets who have the attention span of a dog spotting a squirrel were both just in awe, quiet, wid ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
A parent losing a job is never an easy thing to deal with, but if you've read the series so far, you will know that Ramona despite her imperfections, tries to help and cheer people up, and it's hard to hate her for that even if she does become an annoyance sometimes. Ramona has matured nicely since the first book, but maintains her childish perspective as she is still what, 7 or 8 years old in this book?
Kelly
Jul 19, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Still holds up really well -- especially about the tightening of budgets and giving up of frills when a job loss happens. I love how squarely lower middle class the family is. Dad's new job is bagging groceries, while mom works at a doctor's office as a secretary. Going out for dinner is a huge deal to them. And the entire subplot with dad giving up smoking is a thing that I remember reading as a kid, and now, as an adult, can't really recall in books I've read for young readers in years.

I thin
Lata
I am really enjoying these stories. Though this instalment has lots of funny moments, there are a few more mature aspects to this story: the girls’ father loses his job, and the whole family has to tighten their belts with only their mother’s salary to keep things going. And, Beezus and Ramona have to convince their father to stop smoking. Ramona is her usual dramatic self, and she’s beginning to think about more serious things. Cleary handles this growing maturity nicely.
Jane
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved the fourth book in this series. Ramona And Her Father.
It begins with her father losing his job. Everything changes for the Quimby's. Suddenly her mother is working full time, and her father is taking care of the house, while looking for a job.
I loved how Ramona repeated commercials with kid's in them, hoping she could learn to be on tv, so she could make money for the family.
My favorite part is Ramona campaign to get her father to stop smoking.
This is a wonderful next chap
Settare
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure whether it was reading Ramona that unconsciously inspired me to repeat almost all of her mistakes, or it was my being reckless that made me love Ramona so much. Either way, I loved this book, and still do.
Kellyn Roth
Ramona is really the sweetest. I mean, don't get me wrong ... she's a pain, too! ... but she's also a sweetheart. :)
Mary
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, family
Fun series I’m reading with my Granddaughter. Beverly Cleary is the best!
Sylvester
Aug 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, squirt, children-s, humor
I'm surprised every time I read a Beverly Cleary book how everyday almost mundane events can be told in such a manner that kids can't wait to hear about them. I would never have imagined that Ramona would interest Squirt, but here we are 3 books into the series (not that we've read them in order), and he still wants more - good thing we have the box set. I also like how un-PC they are. In this one, Ramona tries to get her father to stop smoking, and I realized that this was the first kid's book ...more
Susann
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Having a sister who tried to act like the Virgin Mary was not easy for a girl who felt as Ramona did."
Reread for VSC.

03-15-2008
"Ramona made up her mind, right then and there in the middle of arithmetic, that she was going to save her father's life."

Ramona, c'est moi. I first read this in 1980, maybe 1981, and should have been awestruck that Cleary had put pen to paper and come up with me. How did she know my 7-year-old self so well? But no, I took Ramona for granted and just read this one over
Arielle
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Came across my 2003 school reading log, so figured I should enter these books in too. In the words of my ten-year-old self, this book was: "Really good, pretty easy"
J.M. Hushour
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, sure, but re-reading Cleary (sadly, probably for the last time since the grandchildren will probably have amorphic and ghastly "sense-lit-creme" that they rub onto the plugnubs under their jaws, absorbing the classics without ever having to shift their obese, glassy stare from the orange bawling dia-tribals of Emperor Trump (Rectified)), sure makes one miss one's childhood.
Ramona, who'd probably be diagnosed ADD and on a slew of medications by age seven, shoul
Dolly
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We started reading the series of books starring Ramona Quimby, Beezus, Henry and their friends a few years ago, but we never made too much progress. We intended to read more, but we always chose something else.

Our youngest was given the book Ramona the Pest (Ramona Quimby to read by her second grade teacher to practice her reading comprehension and I thought we'd give the series another try. We recently listened to Ramona and Her Mother

This book brings a sense of nostalgia to me, a reminder of
steph
"You know something?" said Mr. Quimby. "I don't care how much that kid or any other kid earns. I wouldn't trade you for a million dollars."
...
Mr. Quimby continued his careful snipping. "I'll bet that boy's father wishes he had a little girl who finger-painted and wiped her hands on the cat when she was little and who once cut her own hair so she would be bald like her uncle and who then grew up to be seven years old and crowned herself with burs. Not every father is lucky enough to have a daught
Lori
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I remember this book so well- partly because I went on a campaign to try to get my dad to stop smoking just as Ramona had after I read this book. My campaign was unfortunately, not as successful as Ramona's. Still, this remains one of my favorite books from childhood. I love the part in which Ramona tells her teacher that her pantyhose are wrinkled like an elephant's skin. So funny. Cleary has an uncanny ability to remember and describe children's feelings- without being condescending or phony. ...more
Holly Splawn
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The last chapter is about the church Christmas play and it is so sweet. We love Ramona.
Ellen
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary really understands the perspective of kids. When I read her books as a kid, I enjoyed them. As an adult without kids, I thought they were silly. But now, as a parent, I think they are brilliant.

Romana is grappling with some life changes as her dad is suddenly jobless. She also has some big worries about the stress and tension she feels from her family. And the other big worry is that her dad smokes and she’s worried he will die. Lots of big concerns for a little seven-year-old.

As
Judy
In honor of Ms Cleary's 100th birthday, I decided to read one of her books. This was my obvious choice since it has been on my to-read list for a number of years (it's a Newbery Honor title). Ramona, in second grade, lives up to her reputation.

As usually happens with these stories, many of Ramona's activities are familiar since my sister and I also did them -- arguing, pestering Dad to stop smoking, singing 99 bottles of beer, making telephones (not stilts) from tin cans, playing with burs (but
Mary
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much. This is the book where Ramona really starts to get to know herself. I love the way her father's character is developed and the way Cleary relates the experience of being worried about money without beating the reader over the head with it.

I still have the copy of this book that I read as a kid and it was so wonderful to get back to the RIGHT illustrations. Ramona reminds me more of myself at that age when she looks like her plain, mousey little self. I swear I had that
Heather
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm reading this to the girls and we're having a good time. They are FREAKING out that the dad smokes. It was published in 75, and I'm trying to explain that things were a bit different back when I was a kid.
Anna
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been a long time since I read a Ramona book. This was fairly cute and felt relevant despite the difference in time period, I think kids feelings about things remain much the same.
Popsugar 2018: a book set in the decade you were born.
Nathan Sizemore
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
94/100

Man, I love Beverly Cleary's stuff so much. I feel like she needs to be recognized as an amazing writer not only for children but for all readers. Few other authors have moved me as much with their power of observation.
Francesca
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My children continue to be thrilled with Ramona, even though she's having to deal with some heavier issues as her father goes through an extended bout of unemployment.
Jared Gillins
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
I decided to reread this 30ish years after the first time I did in honor of Beverly Cleary’s 104th birthday. It was delightful and I appreciate the timelessness of Ms. Cleary’s story.
Shiloah
Another wonderful Ramona! I read these as a kid and now am enjoying them again with my sweet little Meri (11).
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Number 2 8 Apr 16, 2020 07:55AM
Children's Books: December 2015 - Ramona and Her Father 19 70 Dec 30, 2015 08:02AM

• Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3)
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Late Lunch with Llamas
  • The Mystery of the Gold Coins (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #5)
  • Going, Going, Gone! with the Pain and the Great One
  • The Mystery of the Babe Ruth Baseball (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)
  • Ivy and Bean
  • Being Thankful (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter Inspired Kids)
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad
  • It's True (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter Inspired Kids)
  • Clementine (Clementine, #1)
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby, #8)

News & Interviews

“most beautiful, magic time of the whole year. Her parents loved her, and she loved them,” 4 likes
“Say, who is this Mr. King?” “What Mr. King?” asked Ramona, walking into his trap. “Nosmo King,” 2 likes