Jump to ratings and reviews

Graded Go Problems for Beginners

Graded Go Problems for Beginners Volume One Introductory Problems 30 Kyu to 25 Kyu

216 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 1985

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

From Sensei's Library:

Kano Yoshinori (加納 嘉徳 Kanō Yoshinori, April 14, 1928-1999) was a Nihon Ki-in 9-dan professional Go player.

Kano was born April 14, 1928 in Kyoto, Japan. At the age of nine, he become a student of Suzuki Hideko 5-dan in Tokyo. In 1943 he attained the rank of professional 1 dan, and was promoted to 9 dan in 1968. He has won the 1948 Young Professional Cup?, the 1955 top section of the Oteai, and the 1961 Prime Minister's Cup. He played in the 14th, 20th, 25th, and 26th Honinbo leagues.

As an author, known as an endgame expert, and for the Graded Go Problems For Beginners series. He is the author of an endgame dictionary.

His pupils were O Rissei and Yun Ki-hyeon.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews
Profile Image for Coryke.
71 reviews6 followers
February 25, 2011
Not terribly difficult for anyone who has played more than a handful of go games. Nevertheless, there are still a few problems where some thoughtfulness is required. This book is ideal for those just starting out with the game of go or for those who want a refresher or to sharpen their chops by starting back at the beginning.
Profile Image for Jason.
1,079 reviews8 followers
September 26, 2018
Solid material, but meant for a 9x9 board (which is what a 25 kyu player should be playing on anyways). There are only a few 19x19 problems at all, most is very small game strategy. I bought a paper copy, then bought another on the SmartGo app and found the app was waaaaaay more enjoyable to read it on because it was interactive.
Profile Image for Glen.
420 reviews39 followers
December 30, 2016
This is a first-book of problems, not a how-to-play-Go book. After this book, I moved on to In the Beginning because being able to live and kill in simple situations isn't enough to play on a 19x19 board.

A few problems in "Graded Go Problems for Beginners" were much harder than the others and needed further explanation. But all told, this was many times more helpful than the hours I spent on goproblems.com. There is a method to this book and an order to the problems that helped me understand things (instead of just solve problems on instinct) and improve my game. Most problems are quick enough to be fun as opposed to serious concentration work. Very nicely done little book.

MY NOTES AND OPINIONS:

Problem 36: The answer in the back is the only correct answer because the white stone above and to the right of (1) is in atari.

Problem 132: Why can't black play in the upper right corner of his shape? Because if white plays at (1), it's double-atari and therefore death.

Problem 143: (2) and (3) are miai. If white plays at (3), black makes a second eye at (2).

Problem 161: White can live by running out (e.g. on the second line) and making a single true eye in the corner. Black 1 most effectively prevents that, making it better than other moves. This problem is much harder than most of the others in this book.

Problem 193: I think it's OK for black to start one square to the right of (1) in the answer (doesn't matter which one).

Corrections/explanation welcome!
Profile Image for Jason.
66 reviews4 followers
September 23, 2015
A good collection of 250 VERY beginner problems in Go. It starts by explaining the rules and gives the most basic of basic situations, but it eventually gets to more complicated problems.

What I find so great about this book is that it not only gives the correct answer, but it also shows a wrong answer for every problem, and EXPLAINS WHY IT'S WRONG. I find this to be very helpful. Sometimes with other lists of problems, I'll think the wrong move is correct and won't be able to see why. Having an explanation of why incorrect solutions are incorrect makes this an invaluable resource for the budding Go player.
Profile Image for Malcolm Bastien.
23 reviews4 followers
February 10, 2013
Good book. It seems to get challenging during the middle, then easy again near the end. I felt like there were only a handful of problems that were challenging, I'd say there was a lot of repetition to drive home certain patterns and concepts (which is why the four stars).

Only a few times did I feel like the correct or incorrect solutions deserved more of an explanation than the book gave.

The book was also super heavily focused on capturing, seki, and atari. Only maybe six problems in the whole book involved area or influence. Nothing about bases or extensions. I'm not going to deduct for that because I assume they will be found in the next volume (which I haven't read yet).
Profile Image for Evan.
294 reviews
June 11, 2018
While not exactly a book one reads in the traditional sense, this workbook or collection of go problems (tsumego) covers several facets of the game from life-and-death situations to the opening, endgame, and capturing races. While doing problems online is nice, having the ability to click-through to the answer or try several attempts that might be correct doesn't exactly transfer to an in-game setting where a stone laid is a stone played. Staring at a static drawing and working out the positions mentally is a more appropriate method in which to solve tsumego. Definitely a must-'read' for anyone looking to improve at go.
187 reviews
October 27, 2018
Go problems for beginners. Many of them are repetitive, probably to build a new player's muscle memory. Good coverage of basic tactical moves, but almost no strategy. Most of the problems have a straightforward 1-move solution, which is more boring than to look ahead further. I very much prefer the approach used in Cho Chikun's "Complete Introduction" in this regard. Explanations are also laconic and not very useful: "1 is more profitable than 2."
65 reviews
January 15, 2022
As someone who has never played go, I found this book as intuitive as I could’ve hoped. It starts out extremely easy, but soon gets fun, and then downright challenging. Only 2 out of 239 problems gave explanations that weren’t enough to understand the complexities of the questions. Considering that I’m a total noob — that’s pretty amazing.
Profile Image for Brendan.
10 reviews3 followers
February 14, 2021
Regardless of your strength it's worth working through this book. Nothing particular hard but a great way to work up to harder problems and to learn to read at a glance. Run through these quickly to use the problems as warm up reps for harder problems.
Profile Image for Jon.
581 reviews5 followers
November 29, 2020
Quick blitzable set of basic go problems probably a bit too easy if you've played a bit. But an excellent first book to pick up after learning the rules.
Profile Image for Max.
28 reviews1 follower
May 11, 2022
decent drills for the basics of life and death / capturing / seki
Profile Image for Sebastian.
122 reviews9 followers
September 11, 2013
A very good place to start.

After someone learns the rules of the game and some of the general principles, an important component in those first go games is the ability to read sequences correctly. An effective way to develop this skill, besides playing, is by solving problems.

This book has 239 problems for beginners. Some of them are really easy, such as spotting the move that puts the opponent stones in atari, but others will challenge the beginner player and provide a decent mental workout. Considering that this is aimed for players that are between 30k and 25k I would have to say that the selection of problems is pretty good. The only criticism I have is that maybe the author included to many problems that are really simple, but I do understand the reason for doing so.

There are three other books in this series, all of them extremely effective in training much needed skills for playing go, so I recommend you seek them out as you progress.
34 reviews
August 21, 2015
This is a very nice collection of Go problems for beginners. The book starts with trivial problems, but by the end of the book, you'll start to pause to think about the problem first. All solutions are nicely explained, and the book has a re-read value in it. Even when you reach 15-kyu or better strength, it's nice to flip through it and solve some easy problems.

Other books in the series nicely ramp up the difficulty in problems and are highly recommended. In fact, you'll probably want very soon to move on to Vol 2 of this series.
48 reviews1 follower
August 23, 2011
This is my 2nd start at go and this was much easier to go through than the 1st time I read it some 5 years ago.

Which is ok. This is a fine book of basic problems for beginners.

It could be even better with some introductory theoretical commentary for each of the subject areas. Yes, I know that there are plenty of intro books that provide that but, for a beginner, providing some additional context for the problems would be very helpful.
322 reviews1 follower
April 6, 2012
Even though I've played very little go, I really enjoy thinking about go puzzles, and this is a very nice collection. This really is a beginners book so many of the answers are obvious, but I still got a couple wrong from not thinking through them correctly. This is actually the second time I've read this; maybe on a third run-through I'll get them all instantly.

I don't know if I'll ever play much go, but I am looking forward to working through the next puzzles in the series.
5 reviews2 followers
January 12, 2010
Fantastic book for someone who has just learned the rules of the game. Its one failing is that by the time a player is out looking for books to improve their game, they are probably past the level of this book already. Probably best for a beginner without much opportunity for actual play, or who really wants to nail down the fundamentals.
Profile Image for Daniel Hagström.
17 reviews2 followers
January 16, 2013
Same problems several times. And sometimes the explanation for the right move is a bit thin. But overall a good introductory book.
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.