Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Hidden Dimension” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Dimension
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Hidden Dimension

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  955 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
An examination of various cultural concepts of space and how differences among them affect modern society. Introducing the science of "proxemics," Hall demonstrates how man's use of space can affect personal business relations, cross-cultural exchanges, architecture, city planning, and urban renewal.
Paperback, 240 pages
Published September 1st 1990 by Anchor (first published January 1st 1966)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
لونا
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
تحديث
بعد ثلاث سنوات تقريبا من قراءة هذا الكتاب يجب أن أعترف أن إعادة تقييم هذا الكتاب "واجب" لابد منه

صحيح أنه كتاب ممل وفي بعض الصفحات يصل لقمة الملل ولكن كل يوم تحدث مواقف ومشاهد تستدعي هذا الكتاب فوراً .... تقريبا يوميا لسان حالي يقول "صدق البعد الخفي!"0


____________________________


كل شخص موجود داخل "فقاعة" تصنع نوعاً من الحدود الخفية بينه وبين محيطه رغم كونها فقاعة غير مرئية لكنها مؤثره بقوة بعلاقة الفرد السوية بمحيطه .. .. فأي اختلال في هذه الحدود قد يؤثر سلباً على العلاقات، الاستقرار، التوا
...more
Ricardo
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an extraordinary book, full of great insights despite having been first published fifty years ago. It's considered a foundational text in the anthropology of space, the study of "space" as a function of nurture rather than nature, and as something that varies from one culture to another. The author is specifically concerned with what he calls "proxemics," the perception of proximity. Different cultures have different, unstated, rules for what constitute intimate, personal, social, and pu ...more
Meghan Fidler
I saw this book referenced in many works on technology and social organization. Since I like to think about such things, and since I like to know the theoretical background of scholars who generate the sour metal taste of repugnance in my mind, I picked up this book.

My first impression was 'this could have been really cutting edge for the turn of the century.'

It was published in 1969.

The idea of the book, according the the author's preface, was to deal with the following: "Information overload
...more
Hussein Ebeid
الثقافة الجمعية تعكس رؤيتنا للعالم و ترسم معالم فنه و عمارته

الدكتور عبدالوهاب المسيري طرح أشكالية التحيز في الفن و العمارة مما يجعل موضوع الكتاب و مضمونه مألوف للغاية و غير ممتع
Bob Nichols
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Spatial relationships, Hall states, have a biological substrate. Space involves territoriality and all the values that go along with that. Referring to the studies of an animal psychologist, Hall writes that “Territoriality…insures the propagation of the species by regulating density. It provides a frame in which things are done—places to learn, places to play, safe places to hide. Thus it co-ordinates the activities of the group and holds the group together. It keeps animals within communicatio ...more
aljouharah altheeyb
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites


كتاب مُذهل وممتع ويحملك إلى عالم آخر حيث تتعلم فيه عن مصطلح البروكسيميه وتأثيرها على الإنسان المُعاصر ..
بدأ هذا الكتاب بتبسيط هذا المصطلح وشرحة، وضع لنا فصلاً يتحدث عن الحيوانات وتأثير الإكتضاض والإزدحام فيها وأسباب النفوق الجماعي المُفاجئ رغم وفرة الغذاء في الطبيعة المُحيطة ثم قارنها مع الإنسان وتأثيراتها في المُجتمع والمدينة ..

قارن الكتاب أيضاً بين شعوب عدة دول في حيزها المكاني الخاص وكيف تتعامل معه “ هذا الفصل بالذات كان مهماً جداً لكثيري السفر والتجوال او الدراسين في الخارج لأول مرة” حيث ق
...more
Emily
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I guess it was alright. Had to read most of it for uni, again, only adding it cause it stopped me from reading better stuff haha.
Munema
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is one of those books that was probably really ground breaking when it came out but now just kinda feels like, "Eh...". Edward Hall discusses "proxemics", or the (science?) of space (not outer space, just like, how we use space).

Before I proceed, let me just say that I hate the word "space". It reminds me of a rad leftist magazine at my alum mater, along with a host of other words like "intersectionality" and "oppression". All of which are fine but for some reason I just don't like hearing
...more
غسّان خير الدين
تعيش الكائنات وعلى رأسها الإنسان داخل أبعادٍ ثلاثة تكوّن المحيط المادي وتمكنها الحواس التي تملكها من التعرّف والتفاعل مع هذا المحيط للقيام بالأفعال المختلفة التي تنسج خيوط حياة كل منها , إن كل مجموعة من الكائنات تتفاعل مع المحيط بطريقة تلائم احتياجها وخصائصها وتشترك الكائنات جميعها ببعض طرق التعامل مع المحيط
إن الكتاب عبارة عن توصيف علمي لتلك العلاقة مرورا بالفئران والغزلان التي خضعت لتجارب بما يسمى علم الإيثولوجي للتعرف على سلوكها ضمن الفراغ والآثار السلبية للاكتظاظ العددي على مجتمعات الحيوانا
...more
Shirin
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
A core scientific reference guide studying the effect of proxemics on modes of behavior and communication in different cultures. While the author diligently compiled a detailed analysis comparing the European nations'- namely the British, German, French and Japanese- behaviors with the Americans in terms of space and time, he synopsized the study for the Arab nation. It would have been effective and valuable to sample some major countries from the Middle East & Africa, since they are ethnica ...more
Dana Esreb
Apr 10, 2013 marked it as to-read
In this article appeared in the book, there are misconceptions about Arab's behavior, but we agree with him on one point which is involvement. Arabs are more involved with each other unlike Westerners; as they socialize and interact on a daily basis. For example, it is rare to see an Arab sitting alone in a coffee-shop or a restaurant while Westerners don't mind it at all.
دينا
هذا كتاب رائع جدا ويستحق القراءه ، يتحدث عن فكرة مهمة جدا وهي الحيز بين البشر ..إلى اي مدى يحتل الحيز اهمية في حياتنا الاجتماعيه ؟ كيف يجعلنا اقرب او ابعد ؟ وكيف يكون سببا في الامراض الجسديه والاكتئاب ؟
دلل ادوارد هال بتجارب اجريت على الحيوانات وكانت مقنعة الى درجة كبيره ..
مهم جدا للمتخصصين في تخطيط المساكن والاماكن
mohamed sheet
كتاب عن ما أسماه الكاتب الادراك الحسي للحيز وتأثيره على الإنسان وهو كتاب للمختصين بدراسة البعد الخفي للأشياء كسلوكيات الإنسان والحيوان عند التصرف في مواقف متعددة ويتعرض الكتاب أيضا لدراسة لغة المكان للإنسان والبعد الآخر للمسافات التي يتخذها البشر بين بعضهم في الأماكن المختلفة وعن تأثير هذه الأشياء على بناء المدن وتخطيطها في الغرب خاصة ويدعو الكاتب لاعادة النظر بنظرية مالتوس حول عدد النوع ووفرة الموارد الغذائية ويقول ان لهذا الأمر جوانب أخرى متعددة.
من الأفكار الجيدة في الكتاب كمثال عن دراسة السلو
...more
Teri Temme
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't like the animal studies - but the cultural and space planning discussions towards the end were priceless.

"This book emphasizes that virtually everything that man is and does is associated with the experience of space. ... Hence, there is no alternative to accepting the fact that people reared in different cultures live in different sensory worlds."
Samar Mohammed
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ركز الكتاب على علاقة الهندسة المعمارية والتخطيط بإدراك الشعوب واستخدامهم للحواس ..حيث شرح استخدام الحواس لدى كل شعب من الشعوب العالمية وكيفية تطبيق فن العمارة لراحة الإنسان ...
بدأ الكتاب بتجاربه عن الحيوانات ثم عكس كل هذه التجارب على الإنسان الذي يعد أكثر تعقيدا ..
يحتوي الكتاب على معلومات رائعة ومفصلة ..
Bárbara  Alejandra
La relación entre cultura, proxemia y cómo impacta en las conductas de los grupos urbanos se explica desde la comparación con experimentos realizados en animales y un análisis de las diferencias de modales, arquitectura y objetivos entre distintas culturas. Es un libro accesible y cuidadosamente argumentado. Una excelente lectura que sirve a muchos propósitos y campos de estudio.
Sarahi
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excelente libro de consulta si quieres aprender y hacerte camino hacia el análisis de la proxémica y como el ser humano se mueve, percibe y actúa en el espacio según las diferentes culturas y como sus sentidos toman parte de.
Sarah Ext
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humanities, favorites
باختصار شديد، قرأت هذا الكتاب 3 مرات، هو يضرب عرض الحائط كل ما نؤمن به كمسلمات ثقافية.. كتاب رائع جدا، لدرجة أنني لا أستطيع إعارته لأحد مخافةَ ألا أستردّه !
Anna
Świetna książka. Szkoda, że najwyraźniej nieznana projektantom polskiej przestrzeni miejskiej, ulic, estakad, centrów handlowych, zamkniętych osiedli :(
سالم عبدالله
كتاب موضوعه شيق يهم كل فرد
حبذا لو كان حديث
نتمنى وجود كتب لنفس الموضوع حديثة
Alex
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lysande och klok! Alla bör läsa!
Kinan
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
my first interaction with Hall's works, defiantly worth diving more into the other ones.
great insight for architects for in a field usually disregarded
MIKEL♥10
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is really hard-to put down. Absolutely engaging.
Rani Jain
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Sam Hall
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
There's plenty to say about this book, written in the 1960's, that is still prevalent and if nothing else prophetic. But the dated nature of observations made in terms of race and sex get in the way of applying concepts to modern city living.

However, there are gems of interest in connecting lines of species, between humans and animals (arguably both animals). The way nature responds to the way we are living is robust and dangerous, but we continue to live as though we are not our automobiles, ho
...more
Bangquito
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: architecture
On reading experience: It's clear, structured, easy to read. Each paragraph sandwiched in deductive form, tho the detail is the real treasure. By reading preface you know exactly where to go without having to read much of another chapter. Case of culture being present by comparison and story, made it much easier to understand and remember. Plus, I don't even know this kind of book could make me tickled in some part, i supposed i'd like to hear how germany would say about some content.

On content:
...more
Maryam Samer
Though I have been waiting for a while to read this book, have seen it been sited in different publications... they made this book sound interesting and worth reading. Well I went through the book, thought of citing it, well I already did cite it and wish there was some way to take back my steps. I found some parts somehow offensive to my culture and not true, that could be due it was written long time ago and that how things were when the book was written, or it could be that the author's subje ...more
Eden
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Students of Architecture and Urban Planning
4 stars

Edward T. Hall presents a view on space that is intimately related to culture as much as it is related to biology.

Hall starts by analysing the way animals perceive spatial distances between themselves and other animals and how they react in situations of overpopulation. Then, the author explains the way humans perceive the distance through our different senses, and how it has affected art and literature.

The next chapters focus on the different ways to see spatial organization and human d
...more
انشراح شبلاق
أمتعتني قراءة هذا الكتاب، لكنه من النوع الذي يستلزم بعضاّ من التركيز لاستيعابه.. الفصول الأولى أشعرتني بالملل إلى حدِّ ما؛ فقد كانت تحكي عن تجارب الحيوانات وبيئاتها وتفاعلاتها، ربما كان المقصود أن نربط بين الحيوانات وبين الإنسان في تلك التجارب.. إلا أن الفصول اللاحقة كانت ممتعة خاصةً عندما بدأ الحديث عن الأبعاد والمساحات والبيئات والتفاعلات بين البشر من جنسيات مختلفة..فتحدث من منظور الأمريكيين والأوروبيين واليابانيين والعرب..

أعجبتني دراساته وتفسيراته لسلوكيات العرب وأنماط معيشتهم وسكناهم وتعاملا
...more
Salman Merchant™
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Hall, T. (1966) write in "The Arab World" about the differences in social behavior between Arabs and Americans. He chose these differences by using examples about differences of public behaviors in cultures with addition to personal distance, privacy and how people face each other while talking. He also explains how Arabs try to involve themselves in each others life and how they don't like boundaries and then he concludes by stating how cultures have different views about these behaviors.

I admi
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
The arab world 1 11 Apr 13, 2013 01:47AM  
The Arab World - respone 1 9 Apr 11, 2013 01:55PM  
Response to Concept of Privacy in Arab World 1 12 Apr 11, 2013 04:06AM  
Summary of Concept of privacy in Cultural Dimnsions 1 6 Apr 11, 2013 04:03AM  
  • The Architecture of the City
  • Architectural Graphics
  • The Image of the City
  • Learning from Las Vegas: The Forgotten Symbolism of Architectural Form
  • The Anatomy of Dependence
  • Space And Place: The Perspective of Experience
  • Genius Loci: Towards a Phenomenology of Architecture
  • Space, Time and Architecture: The Growth of a New Tradition
  • Architecture As Space
  • Against Architecture
  • Thinking Architecture
  • The Seven Lamps of Architecture
  • S, M, L, XL
  • Design With Nature
  • The Timeless Way of Building
  • Why Buildings Stand Up: The Strength of Architecture
  • The Eyes of the Skin: Architecture and the Senses
  • Coping With Difficult People: The Proven-Effective Battle Plan That Has Helped Millions Deal with the Troublemakers in Their Lives at Home and at Work
79 followers
Born in Webster Groves, Missouri, Hall taught at the University of Denver, Colorado, Bennington College in Vermont, Harvard Business School, Illinois Institute of Technology, Northwestern University in Illinois and others. The foundation for his lifelong research on cultural perceptions of space was laid during World War II when he served in the U.S. Army in Europe and the Philippines.

From 1933 th
...more
More about Edward T. Hall
“إن اللغة هي أكثر من مجرد وسيلة للتعبير عن التفكير. إنها في الحقيقة عامل رئيس في تشكيل التفكير.” 4 likes
“إن الناس الذين نشأوا في ثقافات مختلفة يعيشون في عوالم حسيّة مختلفة.” 4 likes
More quotes…