Start by marking “Mission” as Want to Read:
Mission

Mission

Easter Sunday. The naked body of a 35-year old man is rushed into Manhattan General Hospital. He has a two-inch stab wound below his rib cage and nail wounds in his feet and wrists. The impossible has happened: Jesus Christ has appeared 7000 miles and 20 centuries away from the Crucifixion- dead on arrival. What can the witnesses do? What would you do? MISSION is powerful ...more
Published September 1st 1981 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission

Start your review of Mission
Peter Pinkney
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth time that I've read this book. My decision to re read was taken after I heard a scientist, on a podcast, saying how he could prove the existence of god. His ideas were very similar to this book.
Tilley was known for sf, but this is a huge departure from that... Or is it?
He draws heavily from the Sufi ideas with some gnosticism thrown in, and creates a believable, and plausible, view of why we are here, and what jesus was/is. It's certainly a better idea that the bullshit bastar
Lea Wiggins
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mission by Patrick Tilley Patrick Tilley

I loved this book and I will read it again and again. The main plot in this novel is that when Christ died on the cross and was resurrected, he ends up in New York, during the 1980's.

I don't want to give a lot of detail in the interest of not coloring a reader's viewpoint.

I will say this book made me think, and made me view the man, Jesus, differently. There were spiritual things that were cleared up because of the writer's research when he wrote the book, historical facts
Harold
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
A body appears in a contemporary NYC morgue. It has wounds through the palms and feet, a gash in it's side and lacerations around the forehead. In short - the stigmata(Don't worry- this isn't rapture crap.) The coroner examines the body turns away for a moment and the body vanishes.

Nice hook right? It caught me up and I enjoyed this book immensely. I still have my copy and it's due for a revisit.
Kevin
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
It started out OK. An interesting premise, but then over and over throughout the book, I feel the author takes you away from the plot line, and he imposes 10-20 minute long meanderings that do not add anything to the plot. Filling blanks that really are not necessary. I think if this audio book was abridged, I would have enjoyed it more.
Alison
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a long, lonnnnggggggg time ago, and probably worth re-visiting, but at teh time I read it, recommended to me by the cool, hippie, numerologist couple, Patrick & Farina, and their 3 kids and awesome wolf-dog, who lived across the street from me in Carmel Valley, CA, it was gripping...one of many interpretations of Christ's return would be greeted in our modern-day world. ...more
Simon
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Simon by: Heather
The story hashas an interesting concept, however it fails in execution. The authornspends far too much of the novel drumming his religious views into you that it gets annoying.
Rosemary Griffiths
Oct 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bloody-awful
I'm hoping it's going to get better. Badly written. Pretentious and, to be honest, a little bit juvenile. Nothing particularly ground breaking.
John Lynch
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read when a teenager, still a great read! worth a revisit.
David Colledge
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I remember this having a significant impact on me at the time I first read it back in 83/84 - must find the time to re read it !
Shari
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. Great idea and well thought out.
Wickysticks
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unusual, challenging and atmospheric. This is a book that will interest believers and non-believers alike. Reminds me a little of 'Behold the man' by Michael Moorcock. I would love to translate this into film script. I think it would resonate with all of us who have turned away from religion but yet seek some larger meaning to our existence. I challenge anyone to read this book and not to re-evaluate their take on the spiritual to some extent. Enjoy the evocative portrayal of 1980's Manhattan an ...more
Roger Ley
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This quite a dense read. It's a clever idea, using the New Testament as the skeleton of the story and then fleshing it out with a new and interesting reinterpretation of the facts. It certainly moves the perception of the happenings two thousand years ago from the Iron Age to a modern, scientific view.
I really enjoyed it and recommend it to anybody who likes sci-fi and and has a somewhat jaundiced view of organised religion. A good read.
Kristen Chamberlain
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it and have read it several times. Very interesting premise and just something a little out of the ordinary. It may be hard to find as I believe it may be out of print but worth searching for.
Lori Matheson
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Mike
May 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
This novel deals with the sort-of-return of Jesus Christ to early-1980's New York. He turns out to be a metaphysical, time-travelling alien, but also is the (sort of) son of (sort of) god. Put quite frankly, it's a mess. There was enough material here for a short story, maybe a novella. Unfortunately, the author has decided to pad it out with what one hopes is all of his research on the topic, and leaves us with 472(!) pages.

I like the Christ as time-travelling alien angle; don't get me wrong. B
Obsidian Eagle
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, religion
This title by Tilley holds a special place in my heart because I read it at a young age. Long before Dan Brown came around with his sensationalist Da Vinci Code, Patrick Tilley had tilled the soil (pun intended).

With good reason it was critically acclaimed in its time as: "A Metaphysical tour-de-force!"

One of the few works of postmodern fiction in which Gnosticism rears its enigmatic head. There's a lot here for spiritualists and lovers of long-forgotten philosophies. I can't even begin to descr
David Cross
Re-reading a book that was a favourite over thirty years ago. And, to be honest, it was pretty disappointing. Who would have thought that a book set in 80s Manhattan would have dated so badly. All that smoking. And Leo's horrible attitude to women.

The sci-fi stuff didn't resonate with me as much as it did in the 80s either. But I still enjoyed the reinvention of religion. And the ending is still great.

I spotted one absolute howler though. When they're talking about the conception of Jesus, Leo s
Amanda Adlem
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Clivemichael
Entertaining, somewhat preachy, interesting concept. Well written although not all the characters get developed.I enjoyed it but the rants were occasionally teduious. Certainly provacative, scholarly and well researched. I have mixed feelings about it.
Tracey
Sep 01, 2012 added it
This is a great novel for provoking thought on Christianity, especially enjoyed by those who feel anti church for whatever reason. Nothing to serious just a fun light read.probably a bit dated as I read it 20 odd years ago.
jsewellmcevoy
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Jesus comes back and his first words are "Nice car".
Glynn Lavender
Nov 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Interesting read, not for the religious faithful
Neil Johnson

• Music in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries
  • Bach: Music in the Castle of Heaven
  • The School for Scandal
  • Listen to This
  • Stalin's Hammer: Cairo (Axis of Time, #5)
  • How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism.
  • Cave and Cosmos: Shamanic Encounters with Another Reality
  • Calling Bullshit: The Art of Skepticism in a Data-Driven World
  • Mating in Captivity: Reconciling the Erotic and the Domestic
  • Breaking Bread with the Dead: A Reader's Guide to a More Tranquil Mind
  • A Song for a New Day
  • The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
  • How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe
  • Gridlinked (Agent Cormac #1, Polity Universe #3)
  • The Once and Future Spy