Start by marking “Flatlander” as Want to Read:
Flatlander

Flatlander (Known Space)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  3,008 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Gil "The Arm" Hamilton was one of the top operatives of ARM, the elite UN plice force. His intuition was unfailingly accurate, his detective skills second to none, and his psychic powers -- esper sense and telekinesis -- were awesome. Now you can read all the classic stories of the legendary ARM operative, collected in one volume for the first time -- plus, an all-new, nev ...more
Published (first published June 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Flatlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flatlander

Andrew
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have added this book (and yes I do have a copy of it - partly because at the time I didn't realise how much of the volume is covered off in other books I have already read) but really there is only one story in it I needed to read having covered the rest of the book between reading "the long ARM.." and "Patchwork girl". The story in question is "The woman in del Ray Crater"

This story is set after the events of the Patchwork Girl but sees Gil Hamilton return to his role within ARM. As such its
Ron
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
“The thing about poetic justice is that it requires a poet.”

A series of self-contained mysteries involving a man with extra sensory powers a hundred years in the future. Most of the stories involve some sort of locked-room crime which Gil Hamilton must solve, often at personal risk, using his “imaginary arm.” Our hero is clueless about females but, unlike Mike Hammer, sensitive to three sets of ethics confusing lunie morals.

“Having a hole shot through him can make a man think.”

One unique problem
S James Bysouth
Ubersleuth Gil Hamilton is Awesome!

It took me a bit to like Gil. His a detective, of sorts, and can’t let a puzzle go unsolved. He doesn’t ruminate, and never navel-gazes. He doesn’t think; he does. He does not dither; he executes. Because of this the pace of the writing can move very fast and if you’re not paying attention you can get lost very quickly. It’s the opposite of some of these romantic epic fantasies loitering around. The writing style takes a bit of getting used to. Larry Niven alwa
Andreas
All the Gil “The Arm” Hamilton stories collected in one volume with a previously unpublished story. These are good SciFi murder mysteries set in the Known Space universe. It just goes to show that Niven has a devious mind. As he says himself, SciFi murder stories are tricky since the reader must know all the “rules” of the environment in order to have a shot at solving the mystery himself.

Note: Most of the stories were previously published in “The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton”.

Jonas Salonen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This one collects all the tales about Gill the Arm. These are fot the most part some kind of crime mysteries. So, short stories by Niven.

The stories are again great. Again Niven gets to write short, sharp and witty tales that really keep your interest.

I really enjoyed these and if you are a fan of Nivens work or would enjoy scifi crime mysteries, this is a good choice for you.
Durval Menezes
So so book. Read it about 20 years ago, and I remember almost nothing.
Efren Antunez
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Huh?!

A bit long and very confusing to keep up with when reading in pieces. Plot is good but stay tuned in or get left behind.
Brett
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brett by: Bungie
Collects all of the Gil “The Arm” Hamilton stories, which are sci-fi detective stories set within Known Space. Four short stories and one novella. The anthology is bookended by its weakest entries – which are decent – but everything in the middle of the book is great, including the sizable novella.

Death by Ecstasy 3/5
Good mystery, with a particularly interesting setting – it establishes the practices of organlegging and droud addiction, which become core facets of Known Space. However, the writi
Patrick
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommend the exploits of Gil Hamilton, ARM detective, to me. My own series is focused on a detective, so I like to read other science fiction detective stories. The five novellas/novelettes included here were written by Larry Niven between 1968 and 1995. The stories are:

Death by Ecstasy
The Defenseless Dead
ARM
The Patchwork Girl
The Woman in Del Rey Crater

Gil was born on Earth and emigrated to the Belt, where several years later he is injured in an explosion while trying to move an astero
Traummachine
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 5 stories, varying from 50-115 or so pages each. Niven did a great job of fleshing out this point in his Known Space timeline, and with the main characters constant in these tales it allowed him to spend more time on plot and social commentary and less on developing new characters over and over. Actually, it also allowed him to flesh out the main characters more fully -- with 5 stories, there were 5 different sets of circumstances for them to react to.

Again Niven reminded
Leo Knight
A collection of stories in Niven's "Known Space" universe, featuring Gil "The Arm" Hamilton, essentially noir-ish detective stories with SF elements. For sheer science fiction mindbenders, Niven always delivers. However, some of the stories feel a bit dated, having been written mostly in the '70s. I especially noted his pre-AIDS view of casual sex. Also, Niven seems to want to slide in political digs, e.g. one particularly reviled group are called "Naderites", most of the problems of the world a ...more
Jen
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was some overlap to this book and Ringworld, yet I'm glad that I read Ringworld first as Larry Niven didn't explain Puppeteers, Kzintzi, or the inhabitants of Jinx at all. He just sort of assumed you knew what they were about. He also did very little by way of explaining General Products hulls. Nonetheless, this was a charming little novella and great fun to read as a sequel to Ringworld.
Steve
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this book over 25 years ago and as I reread I realized I remember how the mysteries were solved. Despite this I thoroughly enjoyed rereading and it reminded me why I like Niven. He does a great job taking one or two guesses and writing about how they would change people. In this universe it is what would happen if organ transplants become an easy way to save lives. In this book the world becomes more and more willing to kill criminals (and put them into the organ bank) for lessor and lessor ...more
Camille Stanford
The compiled stories of ARM detective Gil Hamilton. This book is placed in Earth's future, the years around 2123. Gil has an invisible third arm made via psychic powers, from when he lost one of his arms mining in space. This unique power helps him solve interplanetary murders.

There were a couple moral things in this book that made me disappointed; However, overall I liked the concept, and found it to be an entertaining read.
Charles Harrison
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love a bit of Niven and this one was a safe bet mainly because I have read one of the stories before. The mystery is solid for a set of short stories you are playing guess the murderer right up until Gil gets attacked every time! What really stands out is the inventive use of the science. Suppose esp existed what would be it's practical outlay? This is how proper science fiction works. The futuristic morals and new crimes (organ legging etc.) make this near future work all too believable.
Darth
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: niven
Gil "the ARM" Hamilton stories are not my faves in the Niven-Verse, but they are still better than average, and a lot of writers have made careers out of writing lesser work.

Set in the future these are more social commentary than hard edged sci-fi, though the world they take place in are well constructed and fleshed out, if not all that creatively imagined.
In short, this isn't the SMOKE RING, or RINGWORLD in terms of setting, but it is well worth reading if you are a Niven fan.
Jimagn
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't what it is about Larry Niven that I enjoy his writing so much, but there it is. If I were on a desert island and could have books from only one author, they would likely be his. Gil Hamilton stories weren't always my favorites of the Niven oeuvre, but going back to them I find great enjoyment. This version also has some comments from Niven which only add to an appreciation of his craft and creativity. Fortunately for me Larry Niven has been a prolific author.
David
I'm not very keen on terrestial murder stories, much less murder stories on the Moon!

Gil, "the arm", Hamilton, is conceived as a kind of detective with an imaginary third arm.
l found the stories boring and I jumped over paragraphs occasionally, something I dislike doing. I was unable to finish the last story in the book!
Beverly
Gil the ARM, a former asteroid belt miner (Belter) is now a policeman for the UN, hunting mostly organ smugglers, or organleggers. So in this series of stories about Gil, who has an "imaginary" arm that can feel around even when his real arms are tied (which sometimes happens), you have space based detective stories.
stormhawk
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really just The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton with two added stories .... The Patchwork Girl, which was an illustrated novella when I read it, and The Girl in the Del Ray Crater, a stand alone story. The stories are mysteries in a science fiction setting, and need the SF elements to work ... the solutions hinge on actions, settings, or technology unique to the future world.
Patrick
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Intriguing science fiction detective short stories... the discussion and implications of "organlegging" - forced organ "donations" of convicted criminals via the death penalty - didn't seem that far-fetched given the ethical and moral attitudes of our current culture.

Some unfortunate ancillary content of a sexual nature.
Peter Lento
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Given at his best

The Gil the ARM series has always been one of my favorites. Given makes his science plausible and his characters engaging. I love the whole Belter culture as it makes sense to have evolved that way and the characters are fun. These are also cracking good mysteries.
Greg
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This is a collection of longish short stories and a novella that are science fiction mysteries. If you liked Asimov's robot series, you would probably like these. They are mostly locked room mysteries. The science fiction angle mostly explores the ethical challenges of a society that depends on transplants to extend lives, effectively making people immortal.
Louis Carvalho
Classic science fiction with a bit of detective/cop drama thrown in. Unfortunately, it came across as very dated to me, although I liked the gimmick of the psychic arm/hand. I had trouble getting through this book even though it was broken up into short, mostly-unrelated stories.
Cory Hughart
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little put off by large volumes of short stories; it's hard to know where to start, and what to read next. While I'm still having trouble with that process in consuming Niven's Known Space stories, this was a pleasant read, reminding me a bit of Asimov's Caves of Steal.
Shannon Appelcline
Overall, a good collection of SF/mystery stories. The Defenseless Dead and the Pathwork Girl are the strongest pieces, while the final story, The Woman in Del Rey Crater, is a slightly weak end to the series, but not a bad one.
Gail
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Larry Niven is such a talented author. Even through space/time/instellar/technologies he comes up with completely whole, believable characters that you care deeply about. Even some of the "bad guys" seem to have more back story. I loved it and was sad when I was done.
A.N.
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Niven's favorites (smoking, alcohol/drugs, sex, psi power,
criminals for organs & 'Del Rey Cracker') wrapped in CSI.
Kevin
May 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
fun scifi read. Explores some interesting ethical dilemmas and concepts about life and recycling.
  • The Menace from Earth (Future History, #18)
  • Otherness
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)
  • Telempath
  • Cold Steel: Bolos 6
  • Charon: A Dragon at the Gate (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #3)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II B (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #2B)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • Spindrift (Coyote Universe, #4)
  • Year's Best SF 11
  • Through the Breach
  • Trader to the Stars
  • Expedition To Earth
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths ...more
More about Larry Niven

Known Space (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton (Known Space)
  • The Patchwork Girl
  • The World Of Ptavvs (Known Space)
  • Protector (Known Space)
  • Tales of Known Space: The Universe of Larry Niven (Known Space)
  • Neutron Star (Known Space)
  • A Gift from Earth (Known Space)
  • Crashlander (Known Space)
  • Ringworld
  • The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)