Start by marking “After Fidel: Raul Castro and the Future of Cuba's Revolution” as Want to Read:
After Fidel: Raul Castro and the Future of Cuba's Revolution

After Fidel: Raul Castro and the Future of Cuba's Revolution

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This is a compelling behind-the-scenes account of the extraordinary Castro brothers and the impending dynastic succession of Fidel's younger brother Raul. Brian Latell, the CIA analyst who has followed Castro since the sixties, gives an unprecedented view into Fidel and Raul's remarkable relationship, revealing how they have collaborated in policy making, divided responsib ...more
Paperback, Updated, 304 pages
Published February 6th 2007 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published October 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about After Fidel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Fidel

Louise
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, cuba
This is a well written bio. No histronics, no preaching, no selling of a viewpoint. The author is a former CIA officer and current teacher of the Cuban Revolution at Columbia U. He credits his sources by name, noting each person's relation to the events, which is welcome for the layman. While the title implies that the book is about "After Fidel", this topic comprises less than 1/4 of the text. While to predict the future, you need to know the past, the subtitle works better.

Latell defines how C
Jun 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
"After Fidel" was written by a former CIA agent, reading as a personal account to his time on the case of Castro. It is an easy read, not bogged down with raw data. It offers the reader an interesting look at how Fidel and his siblings were raised, suggesting which particular parts of his character are more attributed to nurture versus nature. If you are looking for a "start to near-finish" about Fidel and "his Cuba", it is a great book for getting your feet wet.
Mark Nenadov
Oct 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book might be worth a read if you’d like to know what the American intelligence community thinks of Cuba and the Castro brothers. If, however, you’re looking for something a little more balanced and less polemical, I suggest you look elsewhere.

I have no naive admiration for the Cuban government. Cuba’s government has exhibited horrible aspects of totalitarianism. Any balanced treatment of the Castro brothers and the Cuban government will take them to task in various areas.

That said, for var
Thom
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Written by a former CIA analyst, this book has a misleading title. It is really about the Castro brothers from childhood to when the the book was written. It's at least as much about Fidel as it is about Raul. The author uses a term, internationalism, as if it is an evil philosophy of Castro's and could have used more explanation. Not a gripping read, but nevertheless very informative about the history of Cuba, and much more than I ever read about in the current media. Was glad I read it, but no ...more
Cynthia
I had to read this book for Modern Latin American History and I was very interested to read about the thoughts and perspectives that Latell had on how Cuba would turn out under the direction of Raul Castro. The book fell flat on its face and did not live up to the title. Rather than focusing on Raul, Latell focused primarily on Fidel and and everything that Fidel had done, and every once in a while, Latell would mention Raul.

It was not what I was expecting and the title is extremely misleading.
Brendan
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is really fantastic. First it recounts the revolution (which involved sneaking over in basically a water skiing boat) and recounts what happened in Cuba and who what will happen next. The author is one of those insanity-types who has spent too much time on his own work. There is a hilarious part at the end where he gives examples of times where he made speeches on behalf of the National Intelligence office and then had Castro talk back to him via radio address in other speeches.
Ben
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great primer for those who haven't read any books about Castro or Cuba from 1950 to present. The title is a little misleading, as the book only begins to speculate on Cuba's future after Fidel in the last 30 pages of this slim volume. But I felt like I got to know Fidel, Raul, and our dysfunctional relationship with Cuba much better in the lead-up.
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have always been fascinated with Latin America and have been to some places, including Guantanimo Bay in Cuba. The embargo is silly, the way to beat Communists is to spend money. A few T-shirt stands on the beach, some tourist attractions earning a nice profit and the revolution won't seem so attractive. In my lifetime I want to see an MLB game in Havanna.
Don
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
The title may or may not be a misnomer. The book is mostly a dual biography of Fidel and Raoul, not so much about Cuba's future--but then again Raoul is Cuba's future. The book dispels my previous assumption that anybody would be better than Fidel--but maybe not--Raoul is the harder-core communist and the more practiced killer. What a family
Richard
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
Some good insider information and observations . . . Mr. Latell may need some instruction on the translation of "Son of a bitch" from Spanish to English, and it's uses in everyday arguments, including relatives.
Zach
May 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Provides an interesting analysis of not only Fidel, but also his brother Raul. The book states that while Fidel is the dramatic speaker/visionary, it is Raul who is the true idealogue and more pragmatic planner.
Jim Johnson
From the details in this biography, I found myself constantly thinking of Fidel as a person with a mental illness.
Johnsergeant
Feb 19, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: audiobook, audiblecom
Just bought from Audible.com
Nicko
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Foreign Policy Analysts
Recommended to Nicko by: CIA
In-depth biography of everything Fidel. Really in-depth, good for anyone to really fill out their knowledge of this oft misunderstood historic figure.
Morgan Stell
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Somehow simultaneously fascinating and boring.
I didn't know much about Fidel or his brother, but I know a lot more now. While most of it is interesting, it is dry facts like many biographies.
Dan
Feb 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bios
Pending.
Donald Elton
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good history and analysis.
Adam
May 05, 2008
Robyn Crosby
Jun 15, 2013
Josh Batchelder
Jan 29, 2011
Michal Wigal
Good source of info on Fidel and Raul although I sometimes questions the authors objectivity.
Matt Bono
  • The Rainy Season
  • World War I
  • Washington Schlepped Here: Walking in the Nation's Capital
  • The Osama Bin Laden I Know: An Oral History of Al Qaeda's Leader
  • History of the Conquest of Peru: With a Preliminary View of the Civilization of the Incas
  • Modern Latin America
  • Ice-Breaker: Who Started the Second World War?
  • Rivers of Gold: The Rise of the Spanish Empire from Columbus to Magellan
  • The Double Life of Fidel Castro: My 17 Years as Personal Bodyguard to El Lider Maximo
  • Things Can Only Get Better: Eighteen Miserable Years in the Life of a Labour Supporter, 1979-1997
  • El espejo enterrado
  • Nixon and Mao: The Week That Changed the World
BRIAN LATELL began tracking Cuba for the CIA in the early 1960s. Today, as Senior Research Associate at the Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies at the University of Miami, he continues as one of the most distinguished and frequently quoted experts. For a quarter century he taught Cuban and Latin American studies as an adjunct professor at Georgetown University. A former National Intelli ...more
More about Brian Latell...