Start by marking “Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)” as Want to Read:

Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example

(Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)

“Ruby on Rails™ 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example by Michael Hartl has become a must read for developers learning how to build Rails apps.”

—Peter Cooper, Editor of Ruby Inside

Using Rails 3, developers can build web applications of exceptional elegance and power. Although its remarkable capabilities have made Ruby on Rails one of the world’s most popular web development fr

Published December 16th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published July 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial

Geoffrey
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: New Rails developers, or developers seeking a Rails refresh.
Shelves: software
I've nearly completed the 3.2 version of this tutorial as a refresher and update for my Rails experience.

As long as you understand what this book offers, you'll probably be happy with it. Michael Hartl has delivered a thorough, easy-to-follow tutorial that is quite readable, and will give you a decent overview of what it's like to write a Rails application and pick up a few well-recommended tools along the way (RSpec, Bootstrap Framework, Factory Girl).

What it won't do is spend a lot of time wal
Jan
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nice tutorial for absolute beginners with Ruby and Rails, or even with web developing. The biggest value of this book is the fact, that author keeps "T" principle from TDD.

But there is also one major vice - Michael Hartl forgot about one part of the TDD: Refactoring. He starts every step with failing test, and he's going through the implementation, but with final design and clear code. It would be a big help for newbie programmers if book would cover refactoring topic, after EVERY new feature.

M
David
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
If you're starting to learn Rails, follow the 3.2 book online.

This is a good intro Rails 3.0 book. I had a break from Rails and when I last worked with Rails it was version 1.4. If you already know Rails pretty well this book is too basic, but it's still a good refresher if you've been away from it. It highlights all the elegant things about Rails very well.

Things I liked about this book:
* Easy to read with a good example - highlights the benefits of Rails well
* Free website that includes the en
Jaret Manuel
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dev, startup
This is a good resource but not a great place for an absolute beginner to start. The 3.2 version is better then the older one, however it is easy to get lost or get errors, and not know where to pick up.
Jeff Standard
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just finished going through the free online version and it's in contention for the best programming book I've ever read. I recommend this book to anyone with programming experience looking to understand the Ruby on Rails stack. If you're new to programming, I'd recommend starting more with codeacademy or an online resource that handles all the environment setup stuff, and then come back to this book after you have your feet wet.

The content is, on the whole, fairly well explained, getting concept
Marshall
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent Rails tutorial. It's frighteningly thorough, discussing Ruby, ERb, RSpec, Test-Driven Development, ActiveRecord, SQL, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, web design, REST, and of course, Rails. In only one book, you're walked through a mostly complete Twitter-like web application. The amazing thing is how fairly easy it all is to follow, even if you're not very acquainted with them.

The author doesn't miss a single detail, and all the explanations are very straightforward. He's obviously knows his s
Tanner Welsh
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you want to learn how to build a basic web application in Rails, and hone your programming technique in the process, this is an excellent guide. Using TDD (Test-Drivin-Development) from the outset, along with Git version tracking, this tutorial takes you through each stage of planning and developing a Twitter-like app.

There is not much energy expended on any particular topic, but the pace of progress is steady and the exercises are challenging enough to engage active learners without being un
Eric Brooke
This is properly one of the best programmer books I have read. It takes you from zero to having strong foundation of Ruby on Rails, Test driven development with RSpec, how the Model View Controller pattern actually works, how to use GIT (version control) whilst building a basic web app.

With peaks and introductions to whole bunch of other stuff giving you a taste so you can choose to explore further. It is free online which is amazing and whats more it is even regularly updated on line. I bought
Charity
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best! This book is the most clear, understandable, and implementable of all the tutorial books I have been reading for the last month. He explains what is required, why, and how. The theory is explained in a way that is clear and more resources are cited for those who want to delve deeper into the programming languages, development environments, servers, scaffolding, version control theory, or gemlibraries.

The examples are simple but easily scalable. Hooray! The author is someone who can use
Mario Zigliotto
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pocket-protector
This book is not only good but it's complete.

A number of other books i've read around the world of Rails do not cover more complex concepts behind associations and testing (!!!!). Michael's writings here not only show how to connect the dots of rails (mvc+more) but the app he builds is interesting and from the start you are doing TDD.

I bought this book and read it after already having experience with Rails and still found it super useful. I've also passed emails with Michael when i had questions
Rob Prouse
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn Ruby on Rails, this book and Agile Web Development with Rails are the books you want to read. The book takes you step by step through developing a web application and if you follow along, coding as you go, you will gain a good understanding of Ruby and Rails.

I especially like the exercises at the end of each chapter that allow you to practice what you've learned and dive in a little bit deeper.

Make sure you check out the book's website at http://railstutorial.org/
Joseph
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
A little too specific. I'm not a novice coder, but I'm new to ruby and as I was using a different build than the one in the tutorial I was often lost for no reason other than the fact that the book simply told me to find my own answers. I spent more time googling answers to complete the app then actually reading the book. It's good but not the best.
Arthur
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books for learning rails development I've worked through. In this book you will go over, Rails, Git, RSpec, Bootstrap, PostgreSQL (I believe) and more. By the end you will have created your own Twitter clone application. Book is very well structured.
Ahmed
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech, programming, ruby
Awesome book for a new developer to Rails, Ruby, TDD and front-end as well. You will be able to build a clone to Twitter using TDD approach. BTW the book is free online here https://www.railstutorial.org/book
LisaSchaefer IndieFan CrowdPublishTV
This book is so fantastic I refer to it ALL THE TIME. I've recommended this book to so many people I've lost count. It's also online, which makes it great to have open on my iPad while I write code on my laptop.
Huang Wei
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first web programming book I read. I've learned a lot useful tips and tricks besides rails 3. I think it's a good tutorial book for programmers who have little experience on web programming and Ruby on Rails.
Shamma Al Hetmi
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We were assigned this tutorial book in my app development and design class. I found it incredibly useful. It is amazing for people just starting out with ruby on rails, and by the end of the book, you end up creating your very own twitter-like application. It's awesome.
Keith
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
By far the best book for learning Ruby on Rails. Bar none.
Utpal
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really quick and clean way to get you started. Best for beginners like me.
Luiz Filho
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
So far, so great
Will
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
great guide to start learning rails. I now feel like I have a foundation to really start building something of my own.
Brandon Dees
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A thorough and effective follow-along guide to everything needed to develop web apps with Rails. Definitely planning to re-read the new editions.
Emil Petkov
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read it in two days - gives you the basics, fast and clean.
Serge Boucher
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Long, but one of the best tutorials I've ever read.
Steven
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Probably the best book to get you started and up and running in Ruby on Rails...
Lisa Schaefer
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. If you're smart.
Phil Chen
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Good way to see what Ruby on Rails is all about, I am still on the fence on whether I like Rails or not.
Michael Welburn
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Very basic walkthrough to learn Rails in a weekend that works (if you have any prior programming experience).
Aubrey Anne
  • Eloquent Ruby
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional
  • Rails Antipatterns: Best Practice Ruby on Rails Refactoring
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • The RSpec Book
  • Rails Recipes
  • Ruby Cookbook
  • Ruby Best Practices
  • Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby
  • iPhone Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
  • Confident Ruby
  • Head First SQL
  • Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
I grew up in Southern California, taking for granted that sometimes the February weather makes wearing shorts a necessity. I then headed east for college, receiving a bachelor's degree in physics from Harvard University (which, somewhat
confusingly, means that I attended Harvard College). I lived in the house formerly known as North, and I worked at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.
D

Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby