Start by marking “Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)” as Want to Read:
Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)

Treasure

(Dirk Pitt #9)

Charts of lost gold... breathtaking art and rare volumes... maps of hidden oil and mineral deposits that could change the world's balance of power. Now DIRK PITT discovers the secret trail of the treasures of Alexandria-- a trail that plunges him into a brutal conspiracy for total domination of the globe. Zealots threaten to unseat the governments of Egypt and Mexico, ...more
Published November 1st 1988 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasure

Start your review of Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
Henry Avila
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clive Cussler is a clever author, not in the sense he writes great literature, his books tend to be rip-roaring tales never to be taken seriously, still they amuse the reader, to tell the truth after many dark novels, the brightness is heartily welcomed . In the latest story ...back in A.D. 391 Roman Emperor Theodosius the First of the dying Empire at the urging of the local Christian patriarch, orders what is left of the magnificent yet pagan library at Alexandria in Egypt destroyed , this has ...more
Roopkumar Balachandran
Plot 1:
391 AD Julius Venator, a Roman plans to save the treasures of Library of Alexandria before it has to be destroyed by the order of the king. He takes a group of soldiers and roman slaves with a fleet of ships and buries the treasure. Before getting back to the ship the natives kills all the slaves, his legion and all his ships lost but one ship Serapis escapes.

Plot 2:
Lily Sharp, a professor of anthropology at Colorado and her team discovers a Roman coin in Greenland. At the same time a
Sarah Sammis
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: released
When I need a mental vacation like to travel with Dirk Pitt. I haven't read all of the series and what I've read hasn't been order but I still enjoy the books. My most recent read was Treasure (1988).

Treasure has all the usual adventure story stuff: buried treasure, sunken treasure, espionage, kidnappings, car chases, and so forth. In the Dirk Pitt novels there are typically two different plots: the A plot being whatever word crisis NUMA somehow has to fix and the B plot where NUMA is actually
Matt
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, 2019-reads
A late Roman ship locked in Greenland ice changes history, but a wax tablet describing its journey could bring the treasures of the Library of Alexandria back to the world. Treasure is the 9th book of Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series as the titular hero goes from searching for a sunken Soviet sub to searching for a missing cruise ship with foreign heads of state and then looking for the fabulous remnants of the Library of Alexandria in Texas near the Rio Grande.

The last head of the Library of
Debra Johnson
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
Treasure by Clive Cussler
Genres: Mystery, Suspense
4 Stars

Loaded with intrigue, suspense, action, mystery, smart a## remarks and great banter between Dirk Pitt & Al Giordino.
Neil
I think this book is my all-time favorite Clive Cussler book. I never get tired of re-reading this book [I probably read it once a year or so]. I realize that much of a gap between reading might seem like a lot, but I love reading books. And I tend to read quite a bit between readings. This was one of the 1st Clive Cussler novels I read, if not the actual first one. It has always held a 'soft spot' due to level of suspense it created the first time I read it.

Anyhoo. The basic gist of the story
Highlander1
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
My least favorite of Clive Cussler's books so far. There is essentially two stories contained in the novel, and they are not very well connected. He starts off with one story about lost treasure, then transfers almost totally to another story about terrorists which takes up the bulk of the novel, stays with that until it is over, and then finally switches back to the original story about the treasure for the last few chapters. The terrorist story really had nothing at all to do with the ...more
Glen
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A race to find the lost treasures of Alexandria. There's terrorists invading America, and Pitt has the stuff to make things right.

Pretty good, with a counterintuitive spot for the treasure to be.
theduckthief
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Dirk Pitt, ancient artifact discoverer extraordinaire is searching an ancient deepsea wreck for info about the Library of Alexandria when he finds himself drawn into a terrorist plot set on international unrest and upheaval in Egypt and Mexico. He picks up several love interests along the way and with his trusty band of sidekicks, goes toe to toe with a madman.

I won’t deny that the story was entertaining but it could have been so much better. If Cussler had made the characters believable and if
Joe Borg
The library of Alexandria, Egyptian and Mexican take -overs Arctic explorers are the ingredients to make this a good story. Again Cussler has anticipated current times with a rush of people from Mexico invading the southern USA, is this shades of Trump? Otherwise more of the same quasi death scenes turned into formidable escapes.
John Shumway
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the same comment for all the Dirk Pitt books:
Great set of books, I had to stagger these books into my reading rotation since they are so similar.
Dirk Series Book in less then 50 words.
(introduction to bad guy, introduction to hot chick, introduction to Dirk, Dirk gets in impossible dangerous situations to stop the bad guy, Dirk wins, Dirk gets the hot chick.)
John Kelly
This is my first Clive Cussler book (although I've loved the films of Sahara and Raise the Titanic). And all throughout, I kept thinking: is this what it's like to read a Chuck Tingle book? Like, every time Dirk Pitt arrived on the page, Cussler would go into such intense details about his rugged good looks, his cold, opal eyes, and his masculine prowess that I actually started to feel uncomfortable. Do you need me to leave the room, Clive?

Also, we can add this to the list of books that use
Jay Gabler
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“My name is Dirk Pitt. My title is MISTER Pitt. My function is United States taxpayer, and you can go straight to hell.”
Shane Ver Meer
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 1st Clive Cussler novel I've read...I picked it randomly out of a mess of books gifted to me.

If you're looking for an escape, look no further. The writing is fluid, the plot(s) interesting, and though every character is essentially an archetype, I found this combination of elements to be simply fun reading.
Shane Phillips
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Dirk does it again. Saves people, finds treasure and gets the girl.
Jen
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Two issues so far, roughly 24 chapters into it. In one chapter, we have a good guy call another good guy to tell him every detail of the super-special-secret plan, only for the good guy told to not do anything with said knowledge BUT the bad guys were spying on the now-in-the-know good guy, so now the bad guys know. The only reason for the good guy to tell the other good guy was so the author could make sure the bad guys found out about the super-special-secret plan by the good guys to foil the ...more
D.A. Bale
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Years ago a friend handed me this book from her collection. It became the first opportunity for me to add a new favorite author to my long list. I love archaeology and treasure hunting stories (we need more good ones) and Treasure only whetted my appetite. Though Dirt Pitt and Al Giordino are a bit too larger than life, the events and locations (with a little bit of pseudo-history thrown in) Cussler provides create such imagery in the mind that you feel as if you've just visited a most exotic ...more
J.W. Thompson
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cussler is an author that brings the reader into his novels. The details were just enough to make me see everything. Not too much as to become boring. Dirk Pitt is the character that many readers have told me that TR Bare in my own novel "Mysterious Lady" is like, even though I wrote the novel before reading any of Cussler's books. I feel honored for my style of writing to be considered in the same class. This is an excellent read and I hope you take the time to read it and "Mysterious Lady" and ...more
Nick
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great Dirk Pitt adventure! Pitt is tasked with finding the lost Library of Alexandria, saving the Egyptian and Mexican leaders from terrorists, and preventing an invasion of the United States! Of course he does it all while getting the girl and being a badass! Can't wait to get to the next one!
Lisa
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was looking for something on the shelves at the family Cottage in Michigan that I had not read. This was my first Cussler. I held my attention while providing a little historical context about the mythical Library at Alexandria. The situations are pretty silly. Hero Dirk Pitts can do and save anything and anyone.
Brian Turner
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
Pretty indistinguishable from any other Dirk Pitt novel.
Moves at a good pace, with a decent set of villains, and some tense moments.
Good book to read when you just want to switch off for a bit and relax with a good adventure story.
Greg Strandberg
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Good, but just didn't do it for me like some of the earlier and later volumes. Not everyone can be hit out of the park, but this is still a fun summer read.
Neil
I really enjoy reading this book. I think it is one of Cussler's "better" books as it is one of the first to be over five hundred pages long as a hardback, and it does not get bogged down as later books tend to [with too much going on in terms of different plot points]. The character development [such as it is] is decent for a story of such nature. When one reads a Dirk Pitt novel, one expects a lot of action, some mystery, some explosions, and men being men. [Well, in the earlier novels. Dirk's ...more
Kevin
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I think I may officially be done with Clive Cussler. I really enjoy stories like his with the mix of historical mystery and completely unrealistic modern action, but I just can't sit through the writing anymore. Most of the characters are pretty well defined and some of the dialog is great. I love the interactions between Sandecker and Giordino. But then Mr. Cussler starts describing women and politics and loses me everytime. I thought it was getting better as the books progressed and had hope ...more
Maulesh
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolute thriller...

Loved the funny scenes in this book.. (especially- 'fly me to the moon' dialogue by Dirk Pitt).
I wanted to give it 5 stars. However, I find the startings of Clive cussler's books extremely boring and slow so I will not give it full 5 stars.
Still, I understand that it is the writing style of the author and don't expect any chanes in it. It's just that I don't exactly enjoy reading them and have to read them forcefully for the sake of understanding the story.
Whatsoever, it
JP
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
How do you connect a plane crash based on two overlapping terrorist plots, hidden mob-like family, a Mexican revolution based on bringing back the might of the Aztec empire, an Egyptian revolution based on fundamental Islam, a Roman ship far from where any Roman ship has any right to be, and the lost Library of Alexandria?

Carefully. Very very carefully.

Or you can read Treasure and find out. As you might guess, it's an absolutely ridiculous book, but at this point, that's pretty much Clive
Jason Howard
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome, 2020
This has to be my favorite Dirk Pitt novel I have read so far. I was barely able to put it down. The car chase in Colorado was exhilarating. The attempted assassination on the plane left me turning the pages continuously. The fighting on the ship and the mine was so vivid I felt like I was there. Also, the migration of all the Mexicans across the border took my breath away. Five stars Mr. Cussler!
anthony lanigan
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting and deeply researched story.

I chose this book to take on holiday. It was a real page-Turner and I felt gripped by the twin stories right until the end.
As ever, the research that went into the book was incredibly detailed and made it even more enjoyable.
Another cracking book from Clive Cussler
William Howle
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A real page turner. I have several of his books and find that the ones with Dirk Pitt are my favorites. A criminal empire attempting to take over countries is thwarted by Pitt and company. The discovery of a sunken ancient vessel leads to the discovery of artifacts from the library of Alexandria. Alas , if only this was not fiction.
Jenny
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another CC story that you can’t put down......

What a fantastic Dirk Pitt adventure! Clive Cussler never fails to deliver. I’ve been a fan of his novels for many years and never have been disappointed.

• The Einstein Pursuit (Payne & Jones #8)
  • The Devil Will Come
  • The Paris Option (Covert-One, #3)
  • Depth of Despair (DI Mike Nash #1)
  • Surface with Daring
  • A Time for Patriots (Patrick McLanahan, #17)
  • Darkness Falls (Mark Beamon, #5)
  • True Crime
  • Le pietre della luna (Sara Terracini & Oswald Breil, #1)
  • L'antagonista
  • Caravan to Vaccares
  • La piuma
  • Flyaway
  • The Prophecy (Payne & Jones, #5)
  • THE GEORDIE MURDER an addictive crime mystery full of twists (Eric Ward Mystery Book 5)
  • Take Me Home (Bindarra Creek A Town Reborn #1)
  • Indian Uprising on the Rio Grande: The Pueblo Revolt of 1680
  • Il treno dei bambini
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)