Start by marking “Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)” as Want to Read:
Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)

Pilgrim

(The Wayfarer Redemption #5)

The second book of the Wayfarerer Redemption, an enthralling continuation of The Axis trilogy, by the bestselling Australian author Sara Douglass

By leaching Drago’s latent Icari magic the Time Keeper Demons have burst through the StarGate, bringing an apocalypse down upon Tencendor as they unleash plagues of pain, terror and madness on man and beast. Overhead the Hawkchild
Paperback
Published June 4th 2007 by HarperVoyager (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Pilgrim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pilgrim

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
🖤🐾🖤
Anastasia
I don't know that I'll ever be a fan of the series, but at least it's improving.

I still don't really feel like Ms Douglass creates compelling or believable characters and worlds. While I do like this cast of characters far better than those in the first trilogy, once again they are falling into "He's a protagonist so you HAVE to like him even if he's a jerk" or "These are the antagonists so they have absolutely zero redeeming qualities" categories. There really isn't much room for grey areas her
Donna
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to Donna by: my sister, Dionne
The second installment of this trilogy is a slight imrpovement on the first. In this book, Sara Douglass focusses more on story development than the shock value of Sinner, although she continues to pursue the uncomfortabe incest route.
I also felt that Pilgrim, like Sinner, was very contrived. Douglass sets up scenarios quite well, but when asking herself 'why?' these scenarios occur, it seems she hastily answers 'just because!' without giving any proper resolution to what she chooses to occur.
Erin Gilmore
I enjoyed the reading - because I genuinely have never read anything like this but ... there are so many problems.

I’m not sure how I feel about it’s treatment of women or it’s treatment of rape. For a start everything in the book gets raped - the trees get raped, the land gets raped, zenith gets raped, wolfstar gets raped (over and over and over and they fill him with pestilence.) That Qeteb zombie rapes the Niah zombie ( is it rape if you are both soulless zombies?) Arguably Leagh is also rape
Amy
Apr 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My general review of the Wayfarer Redemption series:

A lot of prophecy-based fantasy I've read revolves around good overcoming evil, usually with relatively little in the way of serious struggle or loss. The Wayfarer Redemption series blows that approach out of the water.

These books are gritty, gruesome, graphic, intense and filled with content that will keep your blood stirred. The good guys fall short of grace, the bad guys are misunderstood and the most redeemable, punished and flawless charac
Beaulah Pragg
Reading Pilgrim was heavy going for the first half, with demons ravaging the land and the future looking extremely bleak - I had to force myself to pick up the book and read the next chapter. But Drego gradually transformed into a hero I really cared about, pulling tricks and powerful magic out of his cool cloth sack and bringing hope and love back into the story.

This is becoming a common pattern with the Sara Douglass books I have read so far. I get to a point where I am just about to give up o
Susan
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK, I figured out what mostly doesn't work for me about what's going on in this series.

The series was presented as fantasy, but then in the last book there were hints of science fiction. In this story the science-y bits get stronger, and just don't work for me. Then there's the strong dose of "everything is fated to happen" added in. The whole thing just gets more unbelievable as the chapters move on.

And, y'know, there's still a lot of whiners.
Jenna
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the start of the last part of the Axis series, it didn't roll nearly as well as the first three.
Rebecca
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a hefty book at about 720 pages. Spoilers ahead so be warned....
Pilgrim is only earning two stars from me as I am not a fan of rape and incest heavy plots. The rape of WolfStar (again with the annoying Icarii names eg. StarLaughter whose name appears out of sorts with the context of all her scenes), the rape of Niah almost reborn for the hundredth time, the rape of the whole Tencendor landscape etc etc etc... and then the SunSoar obsession with each other. I like Zenith but her plot lin
Elle
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How is this book so more well-written, so much funnier, so much better<\i> than its predecessors? Better editor? An author who had grown? It’s kind of a shame because I suspect the first half of this series will deter people from the second half, and that shouldn’t be.

On one hand, the establishment of the world itself in the previous books, let us call it the first trilogy, was a lot of fun. But it was riddled with errors, poor writing, Deus ex Machina moments, and more than a few houses
Martina Sanjaya
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first. I love how Drago and Caelum found their place and accepted it. That Axis was really a stubborn nag, wasn't he? A classic example of post-power syndrom. Thankfully Azhure fared better. Also I'm intrigued by the collapsible gates to the Sanctuary; how handy! And I like how the creatures of Tencendor weren't forgotten to be saved. Couldn't wait to see how the ending would be.
Christina Falana
This is were the series just seemed to stagnate (if my memory is true). My own view point of the world could be the cause as well. My life was very different toward the end of the book series.
Daisy
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olaf Thunderfoot
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One can almost, but not quite, feel terrible for what happens to WolfStar Sunsoar in this book.
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)

I had forgotten how....disturbing the TimeKeeper Demons were! Holy crap, some of the parts made me cringe so hard. (view spoiler) But there were a lot of other grotesque and disturbing things that I hadn't remembered. There are some pretty unsavory things in this story. But that's not really a bad thing, because if Demons were ravaging the world, isn't that what
Katie
By this book, the new protagonists had really started to grow on me, plus I was always a big fan of Faraday so it was nice for her to get something a little happier.
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Caelum SunSoar, StarSon of Tencendor, is running from his nightmares that have plagued him all his life at the hand of DragonStar SunSoar aka Drago. Drago is living his own nightmare at the hands of the Questors or TimeKeeper Demons. Drago thought them to be his friends and StarLaughter his lover but that is not so. They want to use Drago to go thru the StarGate for their own purposes. They burn out Drago's Icarii blood to jump closer to the StarGate. Caelum like many other with Icarii blood use ...more
Amy
Apr 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My general review of the Wayfarer Redemption series:

Shannon
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So far this isn't as good as her first series, and it's much more confusing than the first book in this series (Sinner).
Overall, it's 10 times better than Hades Daughter so I'm going to finish it.

...

Updated - just finished the book. It's eventually pulls you in. I'm now looking forward to the final book in the series.

I was telling my spouse last night that although I've enjoyed these, I don't know if I'd recommend them. I can tell that these are pretty trashy books. There is also a lot of violen
Lindsey
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Getting a little better, although there's still no doubt that the "good guys" will win. As always, the back story for the world building is excellent. The "battle" scenes are pathetic and there is very little character development outside of the one main character, Drago. I still can't understand why someone hasn't just told Axis to shut up and stop being an idiot. An easy fantasy for those who like black and white worlds.
Brenda
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This series is very good, but intense and dark. If you start it be ready to read a lot of material that can become very depressing. But, the writing is so good the reader falls in love with this alternate world with is different races, religions, and magics. I loved it, but I had to space out reading each book so I did go into a bad place in my head due to the graphic violence to women (sorry for the spoiler).
Kathy
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Pilgrim is the fifth book in the Wayfarer Redemption. What comes up, must come down. For many years Axis and his children ruled their land with justice and might. But nothing is forever and all things come to an end. The best way of describing this book is death, destruction, and sacrifice. Pilgrim is blackened death metal made into literature. Now Axis, Faraday, and his children must find a way to bring back magic and save their land.
Jeanne
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Tough read I think. Quite gross with the demons traversing the world... but nevertheless couldn't put it down, still want to see good win somehow so I will continue this series with the final book. I do believe after having read these two in this series, I am enjoying the first set of three more than the last set of three. More to add after Crusader..
Andrea Pierce
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot more than Sinner. The characters were much more believable and likable (besides Faraday, who I wanted to punch a lot of times), and the story moves at a fast pace. I especially enjoyed the character development of Drago, and the theme of redemption. I hope Crusader is a satisfying ending to this saga.
Rebecca
Oct 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The plot thickens (but with Douglas this is inevitable). Once again a lush fantasy novel with twists and turns of the plot, following many different characters. Wolfstar finally gets what was coming to him as he is repeatedly raped by male demons, it seems Douglas knows how to spin a good bit of revenge.
Lydia Presley
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
There was quite a bit of set-up in this book, but I found myself racing through it all the same. I think this world came alive for me in this book and the last - more so than in the original trilogy. The prodigal son redeeming himself really is quite an amazing story, and I anxiously look forward to the next book.
Hildegart
I made it through the book! All of the Wayfarer Redemption books are long. I was getting frustrated at waiting for this book to come to the U.S. so I bought a Canadian version. It was worth it, but it's not my favorite book in the series.
Chris Pacheco
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this volume was a bit slow reading for me, on account of the fact that ive been very ill for a week or two. Besides that, Sara D tars open the asshole of tencendor and spits in the wreckage. I'm loving this trilogy, more and more, with every book.
Mindy
Nov 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was probably the most gory of the books I've read by her. It fit the plot, but was hard to read in places. I usually finish her books thinking "that was all right", but then I just keep reading them.
Amber
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Since I like Sara Douglass's writing I find I have to finish the series that and I have read all the other books up to this one. I really am not a fan of the twist and direction that it is going though.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Pilgrim [Nov 10, 2019] 1 1 Dec 27, 2018 11:33AM
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • Revenge (Trinity, #2)
  • Masters of Reality: The Gathering (The Ancient Future, #3)
  • The Loneliest Magician
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas ...more

The Wayfarer Redemption (6 books)
  • The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1)
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • Crusader (Wayfarer Redemption, #6)