Start by marking “Traction” as Want to Read:
Traction

Traction

Don't let common problems run you and your business. Get a grip and gain control with the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS). Inside Traction, you’ll discover simple yet powerful ways to run your company with more focus, growth and enjoyment. Based on years of real-world implementation, the EOS is a practical method for achieving the business success you have always en ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published February 19th 2010 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published October 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Traction, please sign up.
Wesley Seems like it should be useful. I'll be doing just that... so time will tell. The concepts are broad. Understanding them will give you a view of how t…moreSeems like it should be useful. I'll be doing just that... so time will tell. The concepts are broad. Understanding them will give you a view of how to grow a business from startup to wherever you take it. To me it seems that following the EOS process from the beginning will save you from needing to break bad habits later. I've explained what I'm planning to an EOS implementer and his response was - let's dig in! (less)

Start your review of Traction
M.L.
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This Review Goes to 11"

Traction gets 4 stars for being the very bestest management book I have read. Unfortunately, that's a scale that maxes out at four. Thus I've proven that business management literature is the antithesis of SpinalTap.

Here's what Traction does right: Everything. There are clear plans and tools and strategies for getting a business at least looking in the right direction. How do I know? I've been using them, and they seem to be working. At least nobody's punched me yet - whi
Mark Villareal
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book provides resources and tools to assist anyone in business to execute steps for consistent success. The thought process and realities have been discussed for years. The author does a good job of bringing them together for the reader to gain perspective for their industry and business. Many business leaders forget to place a key focus on repeatable systems and processes that systematically drive long-term success.
Tim
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the most important books I have read as an entrepreneur and business owner. I have now read it 4 times and have built my business process based on this framework. There is so much to this book. I wish I would have had it 20 years ago when I started my first business. The first time through, you will catch the main points, but miss many details. It is all there, though. I recommend reading through quickly the first time just to get the concept. Then go back through, reading ...more
Jim B
This book is very popular in business circles. I can see why. If you have ever tried to get a group of leaders organized but stumbled on the definitions of "goals," and "objectives" etc., you know that the vocabulary of planning and strategy are not universal. This book provides its own vocabulary (some of it trademarked) so everyone is clear on what each part is, how it is defined, why it is needed, etc. It also provides a tried and proven system of getting a entrepreneurial enterprise on the p ...more
Nick Richtsmeier
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is not a review of the EOS management system explained in the book. This is a review of the book itself. EOS may well be a good system, but this book would not be sufficient for implementing it. I believe that a qualified EOS implementer may be able to use the tools from TRACTION to provide value to a small business, but the book itself stands alone quite poorly.

The book, in the end, acts as an advertisement for Mr. Wickman's consulting practice and software. He goes to great lengths to exp
Chad Warner
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Brent Weaver, David Steenwyk
One of the best business books I've read! It provides a comprehensive "operating system" (EOS) for running a business. See EOS Model. I'm installing this OS in my web agency, OptimWise, immediately!

The book promises to help "leaders run better businesses, get better control, have better life balance, and gain more traction" with a functional, cohesive team. It's based on human nature; how people really operate. Wickman has been refining this system in the real world for over 20 years with over 4
Lisa Woodruff
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Watch my full YouTube video review here: https://youtu.be/XV8f9thObNk

The July book reviews are books that discuss the nuts and bolts of building a business. I also share some of the mentors I have chosen as I grow my own small business. Some of the books are from other business founders. Also check out the final Monday of every month when I share books from female business founders.

First in our business series are Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business by Gino Wickman and Get A Grip: How to Get
Grant Callen
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Excellent management book. Now let’s see if I can implement this in my organization.
Ivan Pinatti
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I had the opportunity to work in a company that used the processes described in the book and I can assure that if they are implemented properly they work.
Mark Manderson
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read. Top takeaways:
The more clearly defined your vision is the more employees can make it happen.

We have a clearer Vision in writing that has been properly communicated and is shared by everyone.

Our core values are clear and we are hiring reviewing and firing around them.

Our Core Business is clear and our systems and processes reflect that.

Our 10-year Target is clear and has been communicated to everyone.

Our target market is clear and our sales and marketing efforts are focused on it.
Stephen
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: CEOs and department heads who want to reflect on why they're not succeeding
Shelves: 2019
I left my previous job because I was frustrated, not just with the department I was working with, but the whole organization. I was looking for a reason to find out why I was stressed, felt like I wasn't getting anything done, and was wondering why the organization seemed to have so many initiatives, but failed in accomplishing any of them.

Over a year later, I started working for an organization that uses Gino Wickman's EOS. However, several years later, I felt I was hitting another ceiling with
Matt Crumpton
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you manage an organization of 5 or more employees, the Traction EOS system is a gamechanger. My company has fully implemented the system and it has produced outstanding results, not to mention peace of mind.

There are 6 components to running a business. That's what the book is focused around. It's all great stuff. But, as a practical matter the biggest/most notable changes to our business have been:

- Things get done with nothing slipping through the cracks. The weekly recurring meetings + to
Katerina Trajchevska
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Practical guide for setting up strong processes in your business and regularly validating the progress towards achieving your goals and vision.

As the author says, it's not enough to read the book - you need to do the work. Highly recommended.
Jim Tincher
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Traction introduces the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS). It's a powerful system. However, I read this book twice, and then had to have my team read it, then assign somebody to lead the efforts, before we fully took advantage of it. The book can only take you so far! ...more
Brian
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. If I could give this book 7 stars, I would. Essential reading for anyone leading a business or organization.
Regina
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read for work. Lots of great strategies to help run a business in a more efficient way.
Nika
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had read this book before I started my business. I plan to reorganize and begin operating with these principles for managing a team.
Pascal Wagner
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On duct-taping daily issues
Most leaders are so buried in the day-to-day grind that they'll typically think up flimsy workarounds just to get nagging issues out of their way so they can make it to the next week. If this happens log enough, their whole organization will come to be held together by duct tape and twine, and it will ultimately implode.

On defining the market:

A crucial step to getting sales back on track during the turnaround of our real estate sales training company involved determini
Ron Barker
Oct 12, 2020 rated it liked it
A good read. really good concepts for entrepreneurs. More examples of real success stories utilizing the tools would have enhanced the rating. The last chapter indicating the order of the process was a bit confusing.
Molly- The Modern Homeschooler
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had to read this for work. It helped me understand my boss’ system as this is what they implement. I think the EOS system works, but this book was repetitive and could have used one more solid edit.
Elizabeth
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very easy to understand and can be applied to more than just business.
Nate Haskins
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on getting things done in a business.
Stefania
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I was asked to read this book at work, and I will admit I was a bit skeptical at first. It has been surprisingly good in many ways. After taking the recommendations, I find that my meetings are more efficient, and we are more focused on objectives. So much about successful business is alignment, and this book definitely creates that.

It was good to have everything in one place, rather than having to read multiple books. A lot of it is common sense: yes, we need a vision. Yes, we need to have the
Vedast Sanxis
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In summary, successful businesses operate with a crystal clear vision that is shared by everyone. They have the right people in the right seats. They have a pulse on their operations by watching and managing a handful of numbers on a weekly basis. They identify and solve issues promptly in an open and honest environment. They document their processes and ensure that they are followed by everyone. They establish priorities for each employee and ensure that a high level of trust, communication, an ...more
Luke Gruber
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Traction is a practical book discussing an Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS). This discusses how a company should operate, and how management keep accountability and stay on track for the long and short term goals.

I found this book extremely rigid and interesting. Structure, when buy-in is won, can create a fruitful environment for success and growth. This book is very good and I’ll likely implement many of these systems as possible.
Deane Barker
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An explanation of the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS). This is a philosophy of management that my company is implementing. Your enjoyment of this book will correspond highly with your belief in EOS, but it's worth noting the the book is well-written and clear, and I think anyone can learn from it, whether they fully implement EOS or not. ...more
Pamela Kan
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book worth fabulous practical tools
Fred Rose
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Basic but good templates, easy and effective.
Liz Lem
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A man gave me this book several years ago and it sat on my bookshelf until recently. Even though it’s 8 years old it’s still relevant and very useful. What I liked most was the practical tips about running a weekly meeting and the benefit of doing things a certain way in a business. The parts of the book I didn’t like were what felt like over the top examples of business success of certain clients; the part about long-range planning; and the lack of examples of women in business.
Notes on what I
Helena Brantley
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Gini Dietrich, a fellow public relations professional and company founder gave a keynote at an Agility PR conference in 2020 that was worth the price of admission. TRACTION by Gino Wickman is one of a few books she recommended, adding that she reads it annually. Intrigued, and as a fan of the book she co-authored MARKETING IN THE ROUND and the online content her company churns out daily, I promptly ordered two of the books Gini recommended.

In the sleepless hours of a summer morning, I began rea

• Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0)
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • Clockwork: Design Your Business to Run Itself
  • Fix This Next: Pinpoint and Solve Your Company's Biggest Problem
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business
  • Vivid Vision: A Remarkable Tool For Aligning Your Business Around a Shared Vision of the Future
  • Buy Then Build: How Acquisition Entrepreneurs Outsmart the Startup Game
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • The Road Less Stupid: Advice from the Chairman of the Board
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • The Membership Economy
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm

News & Interviews

“Vision without traction is merely hallucination.” 5 likes
“Clarify your vision and you will make better decisions about people, processes, finances, strategies, and customers.” 3 likes