Start by marking “Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition” as Want to Read:
Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition

Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition

"The novice who plays through Logical Chess can learn an ocean of basic chess wisdom."—Leonard Barden, English chess master and broadcaster

“Entertains . . . as it reinforces strategic lessons gleaned from chess titans. Illustrates effective middle-game plans.”—
Library Journal

Having learned the basic moves, how exactly should a player improve? In this popular classic, t
Published June 30th 2003 by Batsford (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Logical Chess Move By Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Logical Chess Move By Move

Paul Bryant
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
If I could live my life over again (ah, if only) I would make one simple change. I would remove all the chess and add dancing in its place. In my experience chess is not a good way to meet girls.
Will Once
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is not a chess book. It's an old friend. It was the first chess book I ever owned, back in the days before girls, when everything was in black and white and a computer was a panel of flashing lights playing on Spock's face. It was the book that got me hooked on the game ... a fascination with chess that has lasted a lifetime.

So I have to admit that I am more than a little biased. Reviewing this book is a bit like reviewing your Grandmother. You love her to bits, and because of that you don'
notgettingenough
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games
This is such a good book. Above all others I'd recommend this to people who have a bit of chess interest but think reading a book will be too hard. Having said that, you can be any standard and get something from it.
Randy
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
I had truly written this book off as: a) old with old fashioned explanations; b) written by someone who just "popularized" chess, and not a real player; and c) rumored to be full of errors.

I could not have been more stupid in ignoring this book so long, not to mention being wrong about all of the above.

There are some brilliant ideas expressed in this book. A very modern table containing a comparison of the mobility of pieces in terms squares they could move to - which I had seen in one of Dan He
Jacob Hurley
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
i like that he spent the first half saying 1.e4 was the strongest move only to change his mind to 1.d4
Dan Domme
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
This is the first book that a chess player should read after learning the basics - that is, how the pieces move, basic checkmating patterns, and the tactical building blocks such as forks, pins, and skewers. I would say it's for anyone with a rating of up to 1300 or so. At this point, players may find that they can get a win here and there, but they usually fall victim to other players' plans. It is most likely that they can't form plans of attack yet! Chernev's book presents a number of games i ...more
Jason
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first book on chess I've read that wouldn't strictly be for beginners. Nevertheless, I've found my rating rise from somewhere around 1200 to just over 1500 in the reading of these pages. Perfect if you're the type of player who struggles to decide on a move after the first handful, and the usefulness of the main openings(e4,d4) gets consistently drilled into the reader every time a new game arises. Highly recommended to any enthusiast who wants to build a platform to be more than just a hobb ...more
Corey
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
Outstanding book for the beginning chess player. Chernev explains every move of every game.
Amar Pai
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
It's nice to have a book that explains games move by move. But Chernev's "principles" can be kind of arbitrary at times. In some situations a pawn in front of castled king gets moved and he's like "what a terrible move, don't violate the king's safety!" and other times he's like "obviously, moving the pawn in front of castled king is right thing to do, always create opportunities" blah blah. So basically his advice boils down to "make the right move at the right time." Thanks dude.

OTOH he does h
Qkhanhle
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely brilliant book. Every move is explained in details along with positional analysis.
Tahta
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This might just be the best book for class players to read. Chernev is such an awesome chess author. His love for chess is immediately obvious, and of course, contagious.
Andy Osburn
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd recommend Logical Chess Move By Move (Algebraic edition!) to anyone beginning and trying to improve their chess. My first chess book was a Dover paperback copy of Irving Chernev's "The Most Instructive Games Ever Played". Unfortunately it was written in the archaic Descriptive (lol) chess notation which was basically unreadable. Because this one is in algebraic notation, it's a much better choice and I wish I had read it ten years ago!

Chernev presents classic games by players such as Capabl
Lucas Johnston
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
At times Chernev is a better writer than analyst (often times he discards alternatives that are much superior, although he did lack the engines of today to see this). However, this is most definitely worth the read. Not only are the games and the analysis informative, Chernev's writing is simply beautiful. His love for the game is evident in every sentence and it makes a great read to see someone's passion shine through their writing, regardless of the few shortcomings in the analysis.
Christian Drechsler
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simply wonderful. If you ever feel like purchasing a chess book as a gift to a beginner, look no further.

Quite possibly the best first book on chess. I admit.. I have not read all books on chess, but you can rest assured - this one has earned universal acclaim. It would certainly be my recommendation for the beginning player.
Karl Edwards
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved this book and see myself returning to it many times over the next few years. A great way to experience chess theory in real life games with commentary that's both accessible and thorough.

great choice for any chess lover!
Tom Ritman-Meer
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good in principle but too many old-fashioned openings.
Moayad Sakaan
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
beautiful game collections.
well written.
Alex Vasai
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Useful, simple and practical book! I enjoyed reading it, it changed the way I think about chess, specially in the opening phase.
Tyler
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really quite good. The section on the kingside attack was immediately applicable to my own games, and I adored the included Capablanca games.
Adam
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable chess book. Every move is explained and avoids the mundane paragraphs of chess notation.

The games chosen are all interesting and have a lot of relevant teaching points.
Alan Tomkins-Raney
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book. Chernev is a great teacher, and gives his lessons clearly in a pleasant, easy to read manner that just flows. Yes, there is a fair amount of repetition, because that is how many of us learn. This book is a great resource that I enjoy reading over and over again.
Mike Hickson
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Would you believe me if I told you that a book that explains the thought process behind each and every move of 33 chess games was a page turner and often very funny?
John
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book for anyone rated under about 1500-1600 ELO -- it will cover at least something they do not know. For a beginning player it is even better. It teaches fundamentals of openings and middlegames in a way that few other books can.

The book occasionally sacrifices accuracy for brevity, partly as the author did not have access to a computer. I do not recommend checking the books analyses with a computer unless you have an idea of your own as to why they might be wrong, however,
Jishnu
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Immortal book on learning chess for amateurs.
Andreas
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chess Beginners who know the basic rules
This is a classic chess book explaining every move in easy to understand words. Just by repeating the basic principles one already memorizes and adapts them easily and I caught myself looking at a position on the chess board in a different way. The book is clearly for Beginners and suffers a little bit from using old example games (and I really mean old!) and allowing no exceptions to the rules. Modern chess is a little bit different and to understand why GMs break the rules could be interesting ...more
Kevin de Ataíde
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport
Four stars for covering with deliberation every move of thirty-three games. Including the first three moves. There's only so much you can say about 1. P-K4 and 1. P-Q4, but Mr. Chernev sticks to his promise. This book is really a prolonged defense of the queen's pawn opening, 1. P-Q4, which the author has found so useful for White (who easily constrains White), but not for Black (who is bottled up). There are plenty of best practices ironed in with italics throughout the length of the book and t ...more
Ernest Cadorin
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
Very good book. Perfect for my current level.

When describing a move similar to one previously described, most books do not repeat the analysis previously given. This book purposely repeats the analysis and rationale over and over (phrased slightly differently each time) to drill the concept into the reader’s mind. I found this helpful.

Makes ample use of quotations from other chess legends to corroborate the points that he is making.

Does a good job of explaining the ideas behind moves (especially
globulon
Jun 24, 2012 marked it as partly-read
Shelves: chess, books-i-own
This is a great book for beginners. I say that as a beginner myself. I feel the analysis of whole games really gives a feeling for the development of the game, and that the move by move format is great window into the specifics. It introduces a lot of basic strategic concepts along the way but also shows neat tactical aspects to the game, both those played as well as the unplayed ones that guided the game. Very enjoyable. That being said I can't much explain why I stalled out just past halfway t ...more
Luke
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
This book was recommended to me when I returned to the game as an adult last year (2014). It's a terrific first book because the commentator (Chernev) explains the logical thought process, or at times lack thereof, behind the moves in classic games. This book won't teach you the inner working of chess openings or endgames but it will help you understand both positional development and how to think in chess. Strongly recommended.
Tony
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is fantastic chess book. It goes over in great detail each move from 33 games. It helps you understand the strategies and thought processes behind the masters of the game. The only flaw I found in the book was that it had about 3 or 4 themes that it kept focusing on. Also, it was a little tedious to read thru the openings of the games and have the author tell you the same things over and over. If you like chess, this is a great book.
Forward Chess Boo...: Logical Chess - Move by move - by Irving Chernev - Study thread 14 47 Aug 10, 2017 01:13AM
Probably the greatest chess teacher 1 22 Feb 01, 2009 05:55PM

• Practical Chess Exercises: 600 Lessons from Tactics to Strategy
  • Ideas Behind the Chess Openings: Algebraic Edition
  • Pawn Structure Chess
  • The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal
  • Chess Tactics for Champions: A step-by-step guide to using tactics and combinations the Polgar way
  • Lasker's Manual of Chess