Start by marking “Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition” as Want to Read:
Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition

Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition

"The novice who plays through Logical Chess can learn an ocean of basic chess wisdom."—Leonard Barden, English chess master and broadcaster

“Entertains . . . as it reinforces strategic lessons gleaned from chess titans. Illustrates effective middle-game plans.”—
Library Journal

Having learned the basic moves, how exactly should a player improve? In this popular classic,
Published June 30th 2003 by Batsford (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Logical Chess Move By Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Logical Chess Move By Move

Start your review of Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
Paul Bryant
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
If I could live my life over again (ah, if only) I would make one simple change. I would remove all the chess and add dancing in its place. In my experience chess is not a good way to meet girls.
Will Once
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is not a chess book. It's an old friend. It was the first chess book I ever owned, back in the days before girls, when everything was in black and white and a computer was a panel of flashing lights playing on Spock's face. It was the book that got me hooked on the game ... a fascination with chess that has lasted a lifetime.

So I have to admit that I am more than a little biased. Reviewing this book is a bit like reviewing your Grandmother. You love her to bits, and because of that you don'
notgettingenough
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games
This is such a good book. Above all others I'd recommend this to people who have a bit of chess interest but think reading a book will be too hard. Having said that, you can be any standard and get something from it.
Randy
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
I had truly written this book off as: a) old with old fashioned explanations; b) written by someone who just "popularized" chess, and not a real player; and c) rumored to be full of errors.

I could not have been more stupid in ignoring this book so long, not to mention being wrong about all of the above.

There are some brilliant ideas expressed in this book. A very modern table containing a comparison of the mobility of pieces in terms squares they could move to - which I had seen in one of Dan He
Jacob Hurley
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
i like that he spent the first half saying 1.e4 was the strongest move only to change his mind to 1.d4
Jason
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first book on chess I've read that wouldn't strictly be for beginners. Nevertheless, I've found my rating rise from somewhere around 1200 to just over 1500 in the reading of these pages. Perfect if you're the type of player who struggles to decide on a move after the first handful, and the usefulness of the main openings(e4,d4) gets consistently drilled into the reader every time a new game arises. Highly recommended to any enthusiast who wants to build a platform to be more than just a hobb ...more
Corey
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
Outstanding book for the beginning chess player. Chernev explains every move of every game.
Dan Domme
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
This is the first book that a chess player should read after learning the basics - that is, how the pieces move, basic checkmating patterns, and the tactical building blocks such as forks, pins, and skewers. I would say it's for anyone with a rating of up to 1300 or so. At this point, players may find that they can get a win here and there, but they usually fall victim to other players' plans. It is most likely that they can't form plans of attack yet! Chernev's book presents a number of games i ...more
Deepak Jaisinghani
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
A great book for chess aficionados. The stated function of the book is to improve your chess skills if you are a beginner. However, it does more than that. It educates, as well as entertains, making you feel as if you are watching a nail-biting game live.

It has its own share of problems though. First, you can only truly understand what's written if you are actually recreating every move on a chessboard in front of your eyes. (If you are a superhuman by any chance who has a super eidetic memory a
Amar Pai
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
It's nice to have a book that explains games move by move. But Chernev's "principles" can be kind of arbitrary at times. In some situations a pawn in front of castled king gets moved and he's like "what a terrible move, don't violate the king's safety!" and other times he's like "obviously, moving the pawn in front of castled king is right thing to do, always create opportunities" blah blah. So basically his advice boils down to "make the right move at the right time." Thanks dude.

OTOH he does h
Khanh  Le
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely brilliant book. Every move is explained in details along with positional analysis.
Tahta
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This might just be the best book for class players to read. Chernev is such an awesome chess author. His love for chess is immediately obvious, and of course, contagious.
Andy Osburn
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd recommend Logical Chess Move By Move (Algebraic edition!) to anyone beginning and trying to improve their chess. My first chess book was a Dover paperback copy of Irving Chernev's "The Most Instructive Games Ever Played". Unfortunately it was written in the archaic Descriptive (lol) chess notation which was basically unreadable. Because this one is in algebraic notation, it's a much better choice and I wish I had read it ten years ago!

Chernev presents classic games by players such as Capabl
Alexa Williams
May 01, 2020 added it
Shelves: chess
This is literally going to take me a year to get through, so I'm gonna get it off my "currently reading list."

Book has been great so far. One of my...pet peeves? as a beginner is when a website/book goes over a game and only explains like, 10 of the 30 moves, like they assume that the other moves are so obvious that they don't have to be explained. Well, they do to me! I'm an idiot and I need all moves that aren't 1.e4 explained to me. This book does that.

My only complaint so far is that someti
Lucas Johnston
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
At times Chernev is a better writer than analyst (often times he discards alternatives that are much superior, although he did lack the engines of today to see this). However, this is most definitely worth the read. Not only are the games and the analysis informative, Chernev's writing is simply beautiful. His love for the game is evident in every sentence and it makes a great read to see someone's passion shine through their writing, regardless of the few shortcomings in the analysis.
Ian Bradford
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book by my parents' friends when I was young, because they heard I'd taken an interest in chess. I've held onto it for nearly my whole life, because it truly is the perfect chess manual. Perhaps someone with more talent than me would outgrow this book, but I don't believe that I ever will. Of course, there are now many other resources available to learn chess, such as casual clubs and YouTube, but this is an excellent book.
Christian Drechsler
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simply wonderful. If you ever feel like purchasing a chess book as a gift to a beginner, look no further.

Quite possibly the best first book on chess. I admit.. I have not read all books on chess, but you can rest assured - this one has earned universal acclaim. It would certainly be my recommendation for the beginning player.
Michael
Apr 06, 2020 rated it liked it
The start of a great genre of chess literature. The instructive game collection that talks through every move in plain english is an extremely useful teaching too. Sometimes seems a bit old-fashioned. Chernev fixates on moving pawns in front of the king as the fatal error in games where that isn't always true.
JOHN
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book really helped me understand the middle game and opening. Its chapter on queens pawn openings has given me a much better understanding of the queens gambit. The chapter on kings side attacks has also been a great asset.

The book is very readable, though it does sometimes show its age in its use of language.

Excellent book for beginners like me.
Karl Edwards
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved this book and see myself returning to it many times over the next few years. A great way to experience chess theory in real life games with commentary that's both accessible and thorough.

great choice for any chess lover!
Tom Ritman-Meer
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good in principle but too many old-fashioned openings.
Alex Vasai
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Useful, simple and practical book! I enjoyed reading it, it changed the way I think about chess, specially in the opening phase.
Adam
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable chess book. Every move is explained and avoids the mundane paragraphs of chess notation.

The games chosen are all interesting and have a lot of relevant teaching points.
Tyler
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really quite good. The section on the kingside attack was immediately applicable to my own games, and I adored the included Capablanca games.
Moayad Sakaan
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
beautiful game collections.
well written.
Walt James
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good chess book that comments on "each" move. It should improve your chess game!
Rajana
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Great book !!
Billy Ombima
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best book to introduce a noob to chess. Took me from FIDE sub 1000 to now 1300!!
Mariyan Tashev
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, chess
Great for the most part.
Repetitive on the first few moves of every game.
DNF at around 50%.
Self-note: There are more practical ways to review master games.
Alan Tomkins-Raney
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book. Chernev is a great teacher, and gives his lessons clearly in a pleasant, easy to read manner that just flows. Yes, there is a fair amount of repetition, because that is how many of us learn. This book is a great resource that I enjoy reading over and over again.
« previous 1 3 next »
Forward Chess Boo...: Logical Chess - Move by move - by Irving Chernev - Study thread 14 49 Aug 10, 2017 01:13AM
Probably the greatest chess teacher 1 22 Feb 01, 2009 05:55PM

• Understanding Chess Move by Move
  • Play Winning Chess
  • Art of Attack in Chess
  • Focused
  • Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall—From America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »