Start by marking “Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development” as Want to Read:

Applying UML and Patterns is the world’s #1 business and college introduction to “thinking in objects” - and using that insight in real-world object-oriented analysis and design. Building on two widely acclaimed previous editions, Craig Larman has updated this book to fully reflect the new UML 2 standard, to help you master the art of object design, and to promote high-imp ...more
Hardcover, 3rd edition, 703 pages
Published October 20th 2004 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Applying UML and Patterns, please sign up.
Amrullah Zunzunia didn't get your question.

This book is written in a way that it can be read from cover to cover…more
didn't get your question.

This book is written in a way that it can be read from cover to cover(less)

Start your review of Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
Barbara Notte
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one the best books for programmers and I think every programmer should read it. The only problem this book has is some parts of it is written specifically for senior developers and architects; so, you may want to skip them, if you're not a SENIOR developer yet, like myself.
Peter Sichevsky
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Reading this book was a slight deception, not because of the content, but MAINLY because it's a bit messy. The chapters don't correlate with each other very well and the content is not as well organized as I was expecting. Aside from that, I believe I learned something new.
Matt
Feb 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
Right on the cover, Martin Fowler says Larman's book is his unreserved recommendation for learning OOD. Circa 2006-2010, that's an incredibly huge endorsement and says more than any amateur review could.

This is a big, college-text-style book. It's dense. I've read it twice through, and that was probably a mistake because it feels like I've failed to really soak it all up. Hence it's back on my to-read list. It might better use the book more as a school text - read a couple chapters, consciously
Michael Cabus
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I must admit I am reviewing a book I read in graduate school. However I wanted to add a review to encourage people in ux design to read it.

It is complex. However it's an entry into understanding how software developers will work with you. Also as a system for defining software models and requirements it is an excellent system.

And learning Object-oriented design is fun. It's nicely analytical, and will even help you understand programming.

I was rereading some sections this morning for a projec
Recep Karabıçak
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book covers a variety of software development topics like UML, object oriented anlaysis/design, design patterns and iterative/agile development. These are topics to which entire books were dedicated. What you’ll find here will only scratch the surface of each without going into deep discussions.

If you are new to object oriented programming or software development in general this book is a great starting point.

If you are already familiar with the subjects and have some oop, iterative develo
Sergey Teplyakov
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the best books about software development in general, about OOA/OOD and fundamental design principles in particular.
This is "introductary" book but it would be useful not only for graduates, there is a tons of useful advices that would be helpful for everyone - starting from junior dev to mature senior guy who already forgot the basics.
Ruben Steins
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Very broad book that combines a lot of topics: OO, software craftmanship (GRASP), RUP, Agile. Maybe a bit more focus would have been better. Still, a decent book and well usable as a textbook for OO 101.
João Graça
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is divided in 3 main chapters. The first 2 chapters were very good and I learned a lot form them. The 3rd chapter was not so useful I think, because the knowledge is less applicable to nowadays architectures. The 2 case studies presented along the book were very clear and useful to understand the concepts that Craig Larman wanted to teach
Kennet
Nov 24, 2007 rated it did not like it
It does say quite much about UML if you read through it all (I guess). But to just get the information you're interested in (which UML is much about for me; combine and use the parts that suit your current project), it's quite bad. Hard to use as a reference book. So I didn't like it. It does probably have most information you need though, just not for me.
Ali
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
1. This book is definitely not an introductory text as it says. The reader is expected to be comfortable with sufficient software engineering jargon. Since I am a beginner with UML and Patterns (but well-versed with OOP), it was not the best book for me.

2. The book is very broad in the sense that it combines a lot of topics: UML, Agile UP, Patterns and OOA/D.

3. The title of the book is somewhat misleading to me. Although, it is about UML and Patterns, but it's really the sub-title that tells the
Joona
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a fine book to learn about basic OOA/D. It also covered other related topics, such as agile development principles and UML quite well, though I didn't find most of these quite as relevant and practical to me as the OOA/D parts. Perhaps those readers who actually utilize formal UML in their workplace will get more out of them, to me many of the design artifacts / documents covered felt like an overkill for most real-world projects. The book was easy to read and provided a decen ...more
Divyesh
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The book explores about iterative development needed in an agile environment. However, the author forces you to read the same idea n number of times in the book dispersed in various chapters. This may actually be an iterative process to learn the same concept by studying it again and again but sometimes it fails to impress the reader. However, concepts are defined very clearly and written in an easy-to-understand manner.
Waldemar Mękal
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could read it a few years ago. Brilliant guide to OO Analysis and Design explaining how to practically do it, how to gather requirements, then analyse it to create domain model and create design model.

There are some part that you can omit or just skim like UML diagrams explanation, but there are also the parts that gives you so much brilliant knowledge and explanations (like GRASP patterns)...

Really, really recommend.
Robert
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
good but not suited as a reference guide. And it's lacking exercises
Chris
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best introductory book on agile and OO development.
Pity a fourth edition has not been forthcoming.
Garima Singh
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a must read for all agile teams. Great book 👍
Deepak Mishra
Sep 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Dry book. may be I didn’t read it too well. But It didn’t help me too much.
Jordan Hernandez
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice introduction to a OOA and OOD , the GRASP patterns part was fundamental for my projects.
Sami Ullah
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book
Damayanthi Herath
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clearly outlines the concepts behind software modelling and design and presents the effectiveness of UML.

An enjoyable read.
Paul
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good reference. Read it from cover to cover. Will always keep this one within reach.
Monia Hadhek
it's amazing and i buy it
David Lindelof
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Easily one of the best books on object-oriented design I've ever read.

Through two case studies (a point-of-sale terminal application and a Monopoly game) the author goes through the entire process of eliciting use cases, domain modelling, design modelling, and implementation. The UML notation is introduced and used along the way, as are several patterns---not only the classic GoF patterns, but also some extremely useful design guidelines.

This book should be read by any senior developer who's cur
Jayesh Naithani
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read this book as part of an analysis and design class I recently took at the University of St. Thomas, Saint Paul. I have had the previous edition of this book, but it took taking a class to actually get me to read it entirely. Enough good things have already been said about this book by others, and I don't have a different opinion here either. What I especially enjoyed when reading this book is it's description and demonstration using effective UML diagrams of simple examples and case studies ...more
Johan Broberg
Nov 21, 2007 rated it it was ok
One of those long ones you have to read from cover to cover. Almost impossible to use as a reference book; design patterns and UML information are spread all over the place. Good if you want to learn by following a couple of toy projects, almost useless otherwise.
Hal Taylor
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good primer on the topic. I firmly believe that good design representations help to focus intent and support shared understanding. No, you don't need to document every detail, but some up-front conceptual design, (semi-)formally expressed, can be ivaluable
Dmitrey Naumenko
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: begginers in UML
I have learned all about UML from this book. And I recomend it to all programmers. It's a perfect start in UML. It would be better to buy it and idolize)
Worthy
Mar 27, 2009 rated it liked it
This was one of the trail-blazing books into both Design Patterns and agile methodologies. However, the art has passed this by and it is showing its age.
Jeffrey
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book taught me that I never want to work in a software development organization that relies upon Unified Modeling Language.
Nivas
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Read this when I was into OOAD and UML. Book written by the trainer.

• Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Computer Networks
  • CLR via C# (Pro-Developer)
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • OMT Insights: Perspective on Modeling from the Journal of Object-Oriented Programming
  • Structured Computer Organization
  • Kwantechizm, czyli klatka na ludzi

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »