Start by marking “امرأة في الثلاثين” as Want to Read:
امرأة في الثلاثين

Read Book* *Different edition

امرأة في الثلاثين

(La Comédie Humaine #22)

Our heroine Julie is attending with her ailing father one of Napoleon’s reviews of his troops. It is after the debacle in Russia, but the Old Guard still knows how to put on a show. The lovely young girl is dazzled by Colonel Victor d’Aiglemont, a dashing young adjutant who gallops by. The father notices Julie’s fascination and shakes his head anxiously, knowing that the ...more
319 pages
Published 1970 by دار المعرف بمصر (first published 1834)

To ask other readers questions about امرأة في الثلاثين, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about امرأة في الثلاثين

Start your review of امرأة في الثلاثين
Ahmad Sharabiani
Le femme de trente ans = A Woman Of Thirty, Honore de Balzac, 1832
By the French author, who, along with Flaubert, is generally regarded as a founding-father of realism in European fiction. His large output of works, collectively entitled The Human Comedy (La Comedie Humaine), consists of 95 finished works (stories, novels and essays) and 48 unfinished works. His stories are an attempt to comprehend and depict the realities of life in contemporary bourgeois France. They are placed in a variety of
Luís C.
The elaborate story between Eugenia Grandet and Father Goriot, A Woman Of Thirty (1834) is a work of complex genesis.
Under the idea of a composition originally held six-episode portraits of the same heroine presented under different names - Honoré de Balzac will in turn said, 'six frames between which it is composed a story'.
At the same time as a sociologist, physiologist and moralist, Balzac extends some of the key stages of Aiglemont's marquee life which fails to reconcile his wife, mother and
Mayra Dionne
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm laughing about some comments on the story^^. This book is not about the story itself, it's about the psychological thoughts that bring humans to life, with their ambiguously thinking, paradoxical views and their nuances. It's simple a chef d'oeuvre like mostly everything he wrote. If you want a good story, go watch the last American blockbuster movie^^.
Lisa
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Balzac Yahoo Reading Group
Shelves: france, c19th, novella, kindle
Hmm, Part I is not a good start. It's melodramatic and the characterisation is not at all convincing. Julie, Marquise d'Aiglemont, is warned by her father not to marry the dashing officer that she admires when they go to farewell Napoleon's troops but she does and, well, gosh, daddy was right and so is his auntie, the guy is a dolt and a cad. The discovery that he is Not a Nice Man makes Julie take to her bed with the vapours, but somehow she manages to get pregnant and have a child, Helene.
But
Razmuzeta
1. I really liked the theme of this novel: unhappiness of a woman who marries the wrong guy for her and all the consequences that come from this. Reading this made me feel that Balzac really understood the core of this kind of suffering and pictured it very accurately in his novel. It speaks of a stupid mistake of the youth that destroys all Julie's life and condemns her to a life of suffering and torment. It advocates for women and their right to happiness, and I liked this very much. It ...more
Nocturnalux
This is a remarkably uneven piece of literature. On one hand, it focuses on the details of the inner life of a woman with a degree of psychological depth that is impressive. On the other hand, it collapses into nothing short of misogny fairly frequently and about two thirds into the narrative, takes a turn for the romanesque that stretches believability considerably.

The one common point that ties everything together is a bounty of expressive power displayed both in vivid descriptions of the
Phil
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Human Comedy #19.
Oh Balzac, you’re such a frustrating writer. When you’re good, you’re very very good, but when you’re bad you’re horrid. And this book contains both aspects.

This is one of his “philosophical portraits”. Which means pages and pages of descriptions of internal life; telling us what someone’s like rather than showing us. And that is very irritating. For example, we’re told how witty, clever and captivating Mme d’Aiglemont is, but never shown any examples of this. We’re told how
Lauren
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this book (which I'll get to), but I have to admit, it's worthy of the four stars simply for the fact that I think Balzac may have himself actually been a thirty year old woman married to an impotent (intellectually) man, or he tapped directly into the mind of one, the powers of observation expounded by his character in this situation are that dead-on (in my opinion, I hesitate to say experience).

It all starts well and good, and then by the second half it (for me)
Bruce
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read in French.

Despite his formidable skills as a novelist, Balzac sometimes misses the mark, and he did with this novel. Nonetheless the book is not without interest. Although the plot is badly fragmented, wildly implausible, and hopelessly discontinuous, it nevertheless portrays an unhappy woman at various periods of her sad life, beginning before she is twenty years old and continuing until she is fifty.

Julie first makes a marriage against her father’s will with a dashing but stupid and
Loubna Mckouar
I like Balsac's style of writing and his 'comédie humaine'. I can't trace the novel in history it seems that Balsac edited it many times but I think that this 19th century story can easily fit the Middle East today. If I am to summarise the novel in two key words these would be lost illusions and disenchantment.
Julie is a woman who marries to discover that marriage does not bring her the happiness she long dreamt of nor will her extramarital relationships succeed and even worse childbearing did
Heather Browning
This book was beautifully written and provided some interesting commentary on the position of women in marriage in the early 1800s. However, I found it difficult to really engage for a few reason. Firstly, the author seemed to make many strange assumptions about the mental and emotional lives of women that at best rang false and at worst seemed insulting. Secondly, the story as a whole felt uneven. The events seemed only tied together by the fact that they happened to the same character and by ...more
Farzaneh
about 4 months later after 30 years old!
Mike
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
A devastating portrait of a woman's life trapped by marriage and slowly disintegrating due the social constraints placed on wives who are essentially prisoners of their husbands and beholden to their required social and familial duties. Balzac drives home this theme of "duty over happiness" in the final chapter.

Although dreaming of an ideal love, Julie is forced to remain faithful in a loveless marriage with a double standard, where the husband is allowed the freedom to stray (in more ways than
Diana Matos
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our protagonist is named Julie d'Aiglemont. Against her father's advice, she marries Victor d'Aiglemont and soon realizes that the men she fell in love with is unable to respond to her desires. And from that moment, Julie doesn't seem capable of being happy. Every glimpse of happiness ends up in tragedy. The truth is: even though she's the main character, I didn't felt connected to her.
However, Helena conquered my heart; her pure and vulnerable spirit was truly unexpected, mainly because she
Mariyah
It`s not a textbook describing life after 30. It`s actually a very comprising novel in 6 parts describing Julie`s life, the main character, who makes incorrect choices, ruins her life and unfortunately ruins the life of her children as well. Not all parts are easy to read and I think everyone will agree that the first part is melodramatic and the author is really boring with his interminable and exaggerated descriptions.
However, the story is not bad but reading so many pages about a woman’s
Amina Sadr
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a log hut with chandeliers: its' rough edges and obvious imperfections coexist with a scattered collection of small literary masterpieces; intricate psychological analysis and wisdom mixed with outrageous assumptions and unfounded ideas; tragic situations filled with comic absurd. Did Balzac mean to write a play but changed it into a novel? Did he accumulate a large collection of brilliant notes and thoughts which he one day, due to some kind of a need, quickly glued together ...more
Olga Lazareva
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book as the name was already intriguing. After all, I'm after 30. It's quite astonishing that back than 30-year old woman was already considered old. What made me anxious actually was how Balzac was describing a 30-year old woman Julie and a young man (also of 30 years) Charles - a dashing contrast of an old woman and a young man. Overall, you can predict the plot a bit with regards to Julie falling in love again. It's worth reading since it's classics, but it's a bit too ...more
Tatiana Le Feuvre
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Books like this make me praise the right to get divorced. Luckily in the modern Western world the problems raised in the book are mostly outdated. The vain pride Julie takes into being submitted to society ways and her toxic relationship with the others and herself is all but frustrating. Her mental sufferings or rather diagnosis could be cured by a bit of work!
A surprising and fairly engaging bit in the book is full of strange adventures best thought through a mist of opium.

Tu seras où
Balqees Khalifa
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like it . I'm a fan of Balzac's and his style of writing, how he describes every single tiny detail without letting me fall in boredom . Julie sounded familiar . I felt like I knew her forever .
Sonia Braz
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was interesting but the story was a bit disperse
Mitrix
Mar 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
can't believe it was Balzac who wrote it! A very poor plot structure and loads of redundant sentences. I love Balzac but sorry, this book is boring.
Maíra Porto
Brenda fonseca
Nursena
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Disappointingly, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. A lot of times I thought I was reading a book by a female author which is not something negative about the book, of course. It's just I find this very interesting. I kept looking the author's name. There was a sensitive female touch in a lot of parts. Especially in describing. This is, actually, one of the few cool and good things about the book.

Oddly enough, the only engrossing parts of the book were either with that
Oana M.
Dec 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I honestly couldn't believe that this was Balzac. I was already accustomed to his work and style, but this book was nothing like the rest. The experience of reading this book was definitely not pleasant. The characters were not well-developed and I was under the impression that everything I read was a rush towards the end. I did, however, got a hint of what Balzac was implying, but the way in which he presented his ideas was disappointing.
Paulina
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
nay nay, definitely not the best Balzac could do. I dearly love his writing style: you feel as if he knew everything there is to know about human nature. But in A Woman of Thirty his writing tone sometimes falls into a simple condition of 'I-Know-All-About-Women-And-What-They-Feel'.
Pft. Pft. Pft.
And that bit about pirates? And Julie's daughter falling for a man with a single glance? Honoré, you can do better than that.
Gintare Bakanauskaite
Gazelle
May 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not think that I would be in the mood of Balzac's realism, but I'd always wanted to read this book when I turn thirty! I liked the second half of the book more than its rest, as it got closer to its end, I kinda got the feeling that the writer was in a rush to finish the book. However, I enjoyed reading all the delicate details he expressed from the heart of a woman.
Nilgun
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
there was 3 or 4 paragraphs that I think it is amazing. And the relationship between mother and daughter to find outh from a Man was a realy intriguing.

So I think every girl have coms to 16-18 mıst to be read and hwo dosnt read jet so do I prefer it definitely.
« previous 1 3 next »
LER FAZ BEM: A mulher de trinta anos 1 5 Aug 17, 2017 02:12PM

• The Silent Angel
  • Сказка о рыбаке и рыбке
  • هوای تازه
  • آبجی خانم
  • هزار و یک شب - جلد 3 از 6
  • هزار و یک شب - جلد 5 از 6
  • هزار و یک شب - جلد 4 از 6
  • هزار و یک شب - جلد 1 از 6
  • El mejor lugar del mundo es aquí mismo
  • A Gorda
  • چهل نامه‌ی کوتاه به همسرم
  • O Alienista
  • Une vie
  • هاینریش فردریش فون دیتس. مقایسه تپه گوز اوغوز تازه کشف شده با سیکلوپ هومر / کتاب دده قورقود: بیان باب کشتن باسات تپه گوز را
  • Nuntă în cer
  • Bülbülnamə
  • روزگار دوزخی آقای ایاز
  • Delirul
Honoré de Balzac was a nineteenth-century French novelist and playwright. His magnum opus was a sequence of almost 100 novels and plays collectively entitled La Comédie humaine, which presents a panorama of French life in the years after the fall of Napoléon Bonaparte in 1815.

Due to his keen observation of fine detail and unfiltered representation of society, Balzac is regarded as one of the

La Comédie Humaine (1 - 10 of 90 books)
  • La Maison Du Chat-Qui-Pelote
  • Domestic Peace
  • The Imaginary Mistress
  • Study of a Woman
  • Albert Savarus
“В самом деле, не ошибается ли тот, кто воображает, что чувства умирают и рождаются вновь? Возникнув, они живут вечно в глубине нашего сердца. Они дремлют и пробуждаются по воле случая; но навсегда остаются в душе и меняют ее.” 3 likes
“Durante a rápida estação em que a mulher permanece em flor, os caracteres da sua beleza servem admiravelmente bem à dissimulação à qual a sua fraqueza natural e as leis sociais a condenam. Sob o rico colorido do seu viçoso rosto, sob o fogo dos seus olhos, sob a fina textura das suas feições tão delicadas, com tantas linhas curvas ou retas, mas puras e perfeitamente determinadas, todas as suas comoções podem permanecer secretas: o rubor então nada revela, aumentando ainda mais cores já tão vivas; todos os focos interiores concordam tão bem com a luz desses olhos brilhantes de vida que a fugaz chama de um sofrimento aparece apenas como um encanto a mais. Por isso, na da há mais discreto do que um rosto juvenil, porque também não há nada mais imóvel. A fisionomia de uma jovem tem a serenidade, o polido, o frescor da superfície de um lago; a das mulheres só se revela aos trinta anos. Até essa idade, o pintor só lhes acha no rosto róseos e brancos sorrisos e expressões que repetem um mesmo pensamento, pensamento de mocidade e de amor, pensamento uniforme e sem profundidade; mas, na velhice, tudo na mulher fala, as paixões incrustaram-se-lhe no rosto; foi amante, esposa, mãe; as mais violentas expressões de alegria e de dor acabaram por alterar-lhe, torturar-lhe o rosto, formando aí mil rugas, tendo todas uma linguagem; e uma fronte de mulher torna-se, então, sublime pelo horror, bela pela melancolia, ou magnífica pela serenidade; se se permite desenvolver esta estranha metáfora, o lago seco deixa então ver todos os traços das torrentes que o produzi ram; uma fronte de mulher velha já então não pertence nem ao mundo, que, frívolo, se assusta de ver a destruição de todas as idéias de elegância a que está habituado, nem aos artistas vulgares, que nada descobrem por aí; mas, sim, aos verdadeiros poetas, àqueles que possuem o sentimento de uma beleza independente de todas as convenções sobre as quais repousam tantos preconceitos sobre a arte e a formosura.” 2 likes