Start by marking “Still Waters” as Want to Read:
Still Waters

Still Waters

When Elizabeth and her son start looking for a new home, Still Creek seems the answer to their dreams. But on their arrival the locals are distinctly cool, and when Elizabeth gets involved in a murder case she finds there is more to it than meets the eye.
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Bantam Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Still Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Waters

CD {Boulder Blvd}
I really liked the mystery in this one and I like Ms. Hoag's writing, but I wasn't enamored with the leading MCs.

What kept me reading was the plot of who killed the wealthy sleazeball in the town of Still Creek. The suspense is well paced and with some additional deaths and attacks and missing tourist, the mystery keeps you guessing.

Elizabeth has just gone through a horror of a divorce with her ex-husband making her look like a slut who will sleep with anything. With looks and a reputation ever
Andrea C.
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book if you love the court room/CSI type books like me. I also like that they add in just a little twist of romance to it. Not enough to make you wanna put it down and puke but just enough to keep you interested in that part of the story.
Awilk -never sleeps-
A fairly enjoyable romantic suspense, although I didn't particularly enjoy either of the main characters. I felt the book was a little slow in places, but this is an author I will be reading more of.
Annika
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tami Hoag is quickly becoming a favorite author. I like a shivery, suspenseful murder mystery without being bogged down with details and gore. (I'll save Kay Scarpetta for the best medical examiner ever, though...).

I don't think "Still Waters" is part of any series, like her Elena Estes series or the Bayou Breaux series (both are worth a read).

Elizabeth Stuart is a twice-divorced Texan who has gone from poor to rich back to poor and has packed up her life (after her rich second-ex-husband shredd
Anita
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Great mystery, so-so romance. I really love Tami Hoag's early romances and I am puzzled how an author who does romance so well and mystery so well, can't seem to blend to two in this book.

Elizabeth has been kicked to the curb by her SOB, rich ex-husband. She and her son land in Still Creek, MI and she buys the local paper. She also has to fend off everything with a dick due to the SOB ex and his lies during their media circus divorce. She finds the dead body of the town's wealthy sleaze and ever
Dorsi
This was a possible 3 1/2 stars. It was a bit on the predictable fluffy side. The character development was pretty decent. The twist wasn't bad...it was a good idea although I figured it out long before it was revealed. One thing that grated on my nerves a bit was the main character's use of the term of endearment "sugar". I realize she was southern but she ran it in the ground a bit. I listened to this one and the narration was fantastic. It was read by Joyce Bean.
Toni
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars for the mystery. 1 Star for the romance.

No shocking twists, but a decent enough mystery to keep me guessing. Some exciting moments towards the end. One scene that could have been quite the thriller, but was skipped over with only a brief recap after it happened, I wish she had spent more time on. (the junkyard)
The biggest problem, it took 10+ chapters of the two main characters hating each other, and him being a jerk, to even get to the mystery.
I usually wouldn't mind the build up of t
Eileen
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2018
This was definitely a fluff read, but it was fairly enjoyable. The characters were not exactly believable and her Southern accent just seemed so stereotypical, but it was still a fun read. I would say that the murder mystery part of it was predictable, and looking back at the story, it should have been, but I didn't predict who murdered the disliked businessman or why, perhaps in part, because I didn't want that person to be the murderer.
Emily Higgins
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Elizabeth Stuart and her son, Travis, moved to Minnesota after a bitter divorce to start over. Almost the first thing, Elizabeth discovers the body of a prominent local man who had been murdered. Determined to find the killer as part of her efforts to breathe life into the newspaper she just bought, Elizabeth keeps runnung into roadblocks.
Ravi
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
I bought this book at a sale since I wanted to read a new author , the book was cheap , and the blurb was not too bad and then I read the book.

It is the very first book that I can remember where I skipped lines in paragraphs and whole paragraphs themselves without missing a single significant event.

I just wanted the misery of reading this to come to end.

It reads like a love story with 2 of the main characters 'sparring' with each other like they are at war but in their hearts they are like soul
Kyrie
Apr 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
I didn't finish it. I gave it my 10% try - I read 10% of the story. While the mystery had promise, I didn't think I wanted to wade through another 400+ pages of people being in bed with people they can't stand just because they have an itch to scratch I got the point that the heroine is from a bit city and had also lived in rough and tumble Texas (which is nothing like Amish Minnesota where no one locks their doors, and nothing ever happens)therefore, she will have insights that the locals will ...more
Cara
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
I'm not even sure if this is the specific Tami Hoag novel I've read- I've read a few. But just take this plot line and change titles and authors and I've probably read a few dozen of these types of books over the years. It's what my mom reads most of the time and so by default, I get handed the leftovers and I read them too. They are mildly entertaining, but after about one hundred or so of the same thing- usually some detective falls in love with the female victim and now they both have to come ...more
Lee
Running from a messy divorce from a wealthy man, Elizabeth Stuart and her 16-year-old son move to a small Minnesota town. They are treated as outsiders in Still Creek and suspect when Elizabeth finds an unpopular developer dead in his car. As editor of the local newspaper, she starts digging beneath the surface of the placid population searching for the truth only to become more deeply involved and suspect.
Jerri Brissette
Too much romance/sexual tension between main characters, not enough crime. Again, the perpetrator was pretty obvious. This book is from 1992. Happily, her stories and writing style have improved since then.
Latiqua Smith
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kristen
Jul 18, 2014 added it
Shelves: abandoned-2014
abandoned halfway through. couldn't stand the cliches, found myself drifting off when reading it, not engaged. meh.

Susan
Jun 20, 2015 added it
Shelves: unfinished
I gave up on this because it felt like I was reading one of her romance novels. Not interested.
Evelyn Wilson
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this out of order, but that is ok. I will try not to do that again. Small town. What made Elizabeth think she could do better in a small town. And her poor son, Trace. But then you have Dane, " Great " Dane. Dane learned a lot from Elizabeth --- just because you " THINK " you know someone, does not mean you know them! Payton Place! Yes, the TV series the '60s lololol Murder and love. Nasty men and nasty women and politics, yes, that too

Page 57 -- (Dane) "If I believed only half of what I
Tammi Looney
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Stuart and her troubled, teenage son, Trace, move to the small town of Still Waters. She is running from an ugly divorce/scandal thanks to a wealth ex that drug her and her son through the proverbial mud. Elizabeth buys a floundering newspaper business to start fresh and resides in an old farmhouse in need of desperate repair. Right from the start of the book, Elizabeth stumbles across the murdered body of Jarrold Jarvis, a most disliked individual in the community. Enter Sheriff Dane ...more
Tiara Lynn
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book's problems weren't just because it was written in the early '90s, which was definitely a different time to be sure. I picked it up because it came up randomly in my "books I own but haven't read" list that I'm charging through. (I have a pile of Tami Hoag books that I picked up in college) and I finished it simply because I wanted to find out if it was as predictable as I thought it would be.

I honestly don't mind if I can predict the mystery in a book early. I could forgive the misogy
Amanda
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I chose this book from my stacks to take to the beach on vacation. It's more than water logged and still in Florida :) I really enjoy Hoag's books but this one, while enjoyable, annoyed me a bit.

Elizabeth and her teenage son, Trace, flee Atlanta and end up in small town Still Creek. Naturally, Elizabeth is gorgeous and dislikes men. The sheriff in town, Dane, is gorgeous and dislikes women. And they end up in bed together. Naturally.

Elizabeth happens on a dead body, the first murder in this tow
Kim
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth does not have good luck with the men in her life. Recovering from a very public failed marriage hoping for a fresh start she and her sixteen year old son Trace leave Texas for a small town in Minnesota where she buys a dilapidated farm house and a sinking weekly newspaper business in a town of three thousand people that does not accept outsiders especially southern divorced woman. If things are not bleak enough after her car runs off the road and trying to hitch a ride before a storm b ...more
Marlene Chabot
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
The plot for Still Waters was good, but the storyline is so predictable. The instant Elizabeth Stuart, the town newcomer, and Sheriff Dane Jantzen met and eyed each other with disdain, I knew they'd be ending up in bed together. I'd really like to read something where the two don't end up together until the very end. The mystery part contained at least 4 red herrings and kept me reading till the end even though I had an inkling who the killer might be.
The story takes place in a fictitious town
Bernadette
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Reading this 1992 book now in 2018 is like reading a historical, with the setting and actions of the characters distracting to the story. Skipped to the end for the who-done-it that was so unlikely. Amazing with the huge leap in communications, technology, and social norms, that books from the 1990's seem so outdated. Some books can overcome this with great, compelling characters and relationships. Not this one.
Lucy Qhuay

These days one cannot want to read a thriller without taking the risk of it being a romance.

And what a boring romance it was, full of stupid, flat characters and annoying clichés. Really, I spent most of my time rolling my eyes. Let's see:

* disgraced heroine - check
* heroine tries to pick up the pieces of her life by moving out to a forgotten place known only to the people who live there - check
* basic murder - check
* physically attractive, athletic hero, with a past connected to sports -
Allison
The plot was really good, I never saw the ending coming. By which I mean, I never suspected the real identity of the killer. I saw the romance coming on from page fourteen. That part of these books always seems a little forced. I don't know if that's because I get frustrated with a good portion of romantic subplots or because it was actually forced but the point remains.
Kathy Pero
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Tami Hoag and am in the process of reading all of her books. This was a pretty good story, but it was hard to like the two main characters, which made it a little more difficult to get through. I didn't really care what happened to them. Tami still spins a pretty good tale, though. Enjoyable enough.
VickiLee
There's a hot new woman in town with a troubled son and the immediate attention of every man for miles around, including the sheriff. More romance than mystery - and the plot falls flat. More of a 2.5 star book for me.
Marna Sanctis
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and a must read

This book is not only an excellent read but a spellbinding, gripping whodunit. This book is a love story, a suspense novel and showcases the many facets of the human race. Truly a story worth reading.
Lynn
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

I really loved this book. I especially loved the passion between Sheriff Dane and freshly divorced Elizabeth, the emotion between them just jumped off the pages.

I enjoyed the ending. I'm definitely going to be Reading more Tami Hoagland books in the future.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Long After Midnight
  • Once a Thief (Quinn/Thief #1)
  • Twice Kissed
  • Charade
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • Tell Me No Lies
  • The Vanished Hands (Javier Falcon, #2)
  • Betrayal
  • The Hunter (Crossfire, #2)
  • The Magician's Tale
  • Deep Down
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • Mary, Mary
  • Messiah
  • In a Heartbeat
Tami Hoag is the #1 internationally bestselling author of more than thirty books published in more than thirty languages worldwide, including her latest thrillers—BITTER SEASON, COLD COLD HEART and THE 9TH GIRL. Renowned for combining thrilling plots with character-driven suspense, Hoag first hit the New York Times Bestseller list with NIGHT SINS, and each of her books since has been a bestseller. ...more
“A handful of visits. A series of days. Then she would be gone, with a life of her own, a family of her own. And” 0 likes