Start by marking “A Practical Guide to Information Architecture” as Want to Read:
A Practical Guide to Information Architecture

A Practical Guide to Information Architecture

If you're a website designer, intranet manager or someone without much Information Architecture experience, this book answers all those questions you were afraid to ask.

Drawing on her many years experience of practising and teaching Information Architecture, Donna Spencer guides you through some simple steps to better IA and leaves you feeling empowered and able to run you
Published 2010 by Five Simple Steps

To ask other readers questions about A Practical Guide to Information Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Practical Guide to Information Architecture

Mikal
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: design professionals; beginning IAs; web project managers
While there are and will be IA experts who are available to tackle the really wicked challenges, this book is like putting Industrial Strength Information Architecture in the hands of everyday practitioners. While I feel this book is valuable for any business professional working on a redesign. I think individuals that are already familiar with user-centered design will find the most value.
I rated this book four stars but five stars is unatainable for this subject area. Any further in scope or d
Adrian Costea
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Self promoting, too general book

I read 14% of the book and then randomly jumped to what I thought would be more relevant parts. Everything is way too generaly exposed, no real methodology, patterns or eye-openung case studies. This is just writing for the sake of being called an author, unfortunatelly. Obviously, I don't recommend this book.
Graeme
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complete

If you're interested in information architecture, and I mean seriously interested in it, this book is well worth reading. It's a comprehensive and practical reference that could sit on your desk as you work through your first client briefs or coursework projects. It's a little dry in places and could be brought up to date for the responsive design and app era, which is why it's three stars. But the fundamentals are strong - it's all about the user and the research, remember?

It also bene
Leisa
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux
well done Donna, this is a brilliant introduction to Information Architecture. Even as someone with years of experience I picked up a few new tips and tricks from this book. Well worth my time and a beautifully written and designed book.
Jenifer
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Grant Baker
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an excellent primer into developing an information architecture, though I wish it would have focused more on the actual creation of the IA, understanding categories and how to incorporate all the information you get from the design research.
Ian Stewart
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a decent introduction to IA and website design that I’d recommend to someone new to the subject. (Unfortunately for me it covered a lot of concepts and strategies I was already familiar with.)
Gaurang
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an easy read but it took me soooo long. Pretty straightforward book, but more for website designers.
Talia Skinner
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good basic introduction to organising information.
Dave Emmett
Aug 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Junior Information architects
This was a great primer on the practice of information architecture. As a young IA, I found a lot of the information refreshed things I already knew, but there was also some new information as well. I think more experienced IAs would find this quite basic, so it might not be the best book for all you seasoned pros.

Of the 'new' stuff that I learned from this book, probably the most helpful was the section on IA testing. Now, I've done usability testing, and card sorting before, but I hadn't yet r
dgrebb
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Another great book from Five Simple Steps. I'd never attempted to think or speak about IA in the scientific way that has become ubiquitous in the industry. This book is a great dive into the theory and vernacular of IA, and has allowed me to more accurately communicate ideas that I've been thinking for over 10 years.
Ryan Kennedy
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous. If you are involved with building IAs at all, read it.
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting read with lots of helpful suggestions and tips for anyone in IA or even UX. Covers everything from the initial user research right through to usability testing of the 'final' product.
Stephen Tomlinson
I would have really appreciated reading this a couple of years ago. A good overview with some pointers for further reading.
Sean
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
An ok introduction to IA. A good book to get the lay of the land in practical terms. A bit repetitive in concepts and to be honest I rushed to finish it out of shear boredom.
Ana
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Good introduction
Anthony
Dec 10, 2010 is currently reading it
Packed with great detail on the broad subject of Information Architecture. Starts with the basics (what *is* IA anyway?) and delves into who uses IA, and finally the process of applying it.
Dana
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
like most books in this field I have encountered it's interesting, but it tends to fall down and get very vague when addressing practical matters like deliverables.
Carrie
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a fast read, but I found a lot of helpful advice for designing an IA, including considerations for designing the navigation.
Miguel
Jan 06, 2015
David Kennedy
Nov 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Pervasive Information Architecture: Designing Cross-Channel User Experiences
  • A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Understanding Context: Environment, Language, and Information Architecture
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • Hardboiled Web Design
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Designing for the Social Web
  • Content Everywhere: Strategy and Structure for Future-Ready Content
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“People suitable for designing the IA for a site could include: business analysts usability specialists writers graphic designers web developers project managers Their skills should include: empathy with people language ability to synthesise different types of information attention to detail great communication skills” 0 likes
“When I start a piece of work with a client, I want to know two things straight away: why are they doing this work, and what do they want to achieve when it’s finished. You may be surprised (though I’m not any more) to hear that in most cases no-one actually knows.” 0 likes