Start by marking “Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate” as Want to Read:
Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate

Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This new edition of a classic title will seduce a huge range of readers, from novice to intermediate players. Computer-generated artwork recreates the chessboard, pieces and moves in a wholly original way. Readers will improve their game with graded puzzles, and can brush up on the fascinating history of chess, with features on great players and legendary matches.
Published April 13th 2010 by Kingfisher (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Chess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chess

midnightfaerie
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate by Daniel King (pun intended?) was an excellent book. At first I had misgivings, I'm embarrassed to admit, because of the size and shape of the book. Usually books that are thinner and larger in size are mostly made for good illustrations, which this most certainly had, but with less meaningful content. This wasn't so. For a beginner, like myself, it had great and very helpful content. It started with the basics but quickly moved to strategic moves and proble ...more
Josiphine/Tessa
My little brother's chess reign of terror ends here.
David Natiuk
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, chess
This was a great mix of beginning chess instruction, some introductory puzzles, and a little on the history and drama of chess champions through the ages. My favorite part of the book was indeed the overview of chess champions, although I already understand all the rules so that might limit any enjoyment of learning the moves.

I was struck by the artistic presentation of the book overall. Excellent and colorful images throughout the book make it a visual treat for chess aficionados and beginners
Finley Neal I
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking to refine their chess skills.
Recommended to Finley by: Found it at the library.
Chess:From first moves to checkmate is an excellent book to study for improving your chess skills or learning a little more about the game in general. The book discusses the origins of chess & it's evolution to the game we have today.

I learned some of the language of chess used especially in tournament play. I now better understand reasons behind certain moves. My previous mindset was more towards attack & conquer as I would do in a board game. Chess is different & takes more calcula
David LeDoux
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
I think this book will make a great primer for anyone (of any age) who wants to learn to play chess. The graphics make the book visually enticing and the author does a very good job of covering topics such as -- chess basics, history, special moves, tactics and strategy. Training exercises and test positions are even offered; along with a handful of websites listing internet sources of chess for further perusal. In this updated edition, Daniel King introduces the game in an exciting fashion.
Tiffany
Okay, yeah, so it was in the children's section of the library. It still covered the basics in a nice, introductory way. Plus, the illustrations were really striking.
Shayne
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-book
Crazy illustrations, but gets into a good overview of cool concepts like the fork and skewer (no other kitchen implements, alas). Short and glitzy but still full of some useful stuff.
Debbie