Start by marking “Introducing HTML5” as Want to Read:
Introducing HTML5

Introducing HTML5

Suddenly, everyone's talking about HTML5, and ready or not, you need to get acquainted with this powerful new development in web and application design. Some of its new features are already being implemented by existing browsers, and much more is around the corner.
Written by developers who have been using the new language for the past year in their work, this book shows y
Published July 21st 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published July 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing HTML5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing HTML5

Start your review of Introducing HTML5
Chad Warner
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chad by: SitePoint
An entertaining introduction to HTML5 with real-world examples. Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharp have a creatively funny writing style, and I laughed at many of their code samples. The book covers several topics: structure, text, forms, video and audio, canvas, data storage, offline, drag and drop, geolocation, and messages, workers, and sockets.

I liked the chapters on structure, text, forms, and video and audio. The remaining sections were good for me to read about, but I won’t likely be using them
Allan Kent
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Bruce Lawson makes me swoon.
Vladimir Rybalko
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I disappointed. I had bought this book some years ago when HTML 5 was a new and modern technologies. I had not time for reading it for years. But when I read it I didn't get any good emotions.
The book is a really not good. There is a lack of explanations, poor examples and stupid author's jokes. Even some goods API and interesting HTML 5 abilities are not be able to change the bad first opinion.
Pranay Kothapalli
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
All the new things and everything you need to know about HTML5.
Parthan Ramanujam
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computerscience
Provides a concise way of understanding the new elements of the semantic web and how they stand along with their long existing co-elements
Nick Garza
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Flipped through this book. Its too simple and out of date to be of any use in 2018.
Igor
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is good book to get familiar with the HTML5 and all the new API's and specifications that are
or will be implemented in HTML5. This is more theoretical book and it is not that heavy with code
examples, which for me personally was good thing because I wanted to get familiar with the new
features that are in HTML5 and when you should use them and when not.

As the title says "Introducing" this book introduces as with all the new things in HTML5. If you
like to know more about some specific topic li
Ash Moran
I'm a software developer and most of the stuff I work on is web-related. But I've done primarily server-side work, and I've been put off doing more client-side development due to the poor programming model in web browsers. As The Register once put it, In Web 2.0, we are able to create a Rich Internet Application, and give the user the experience he deserves. Careful observers may notice, however, that the programming model has lost some of its former coherence. I read this book in the hope it wo ...more
Caitlin
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
A great introduction to HTML 5 - well-written and actually fun while not eclipsing the technical content that makes it a useful book. My only negative remark (which is why it's received 4 stars instead of 5) has to be about the quality of the print, which in my edition (and others I've seen) is a little on the cruddy side - in particular poor registration renders a certain amount of the text fuzzy and in some places you actually need to peer and really concentrate to work out what the text says. ...more
Josh
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book tended to venture outside the domain of HTML5 and would be better described as a book about new web technologies whose primary focus is the changes to the standard brought by HTML5. I'm not complaining about the inclusion of APIs that aren't part of the HTML5 spec, though. Web Sockets and the like are extremely important to web app development going forward and I'm glad I got a taste of how to use the technology.

The authors are pretty heavy on the assumption of a JavaScript background,
Mary Zimnik
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm using this in my HTML5 class I teach at Emory University Continuing Ed in the Web Design/Development Certificate. I find it to be a great starter book for anyone who needs to bridge from 4 to 5. That said, do be sure you are strong with the HTML4 standard before moving on to 5 (as well as CSS2, CSS3 and JavaScript since you'll use a lot of JavaScript with the Canvas Element). This book is a great first step, providing a real world, real language methodology to understanding how the long-term ...more
Zignorp
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
Pretty great jumping off point, I got the first edition out of the library, then bought the 2nd edition, glad I waited for it. For technology that's still changing, with levels of support growing all the time, this does a good job for a static resource, and I have always really liked both authors for their ability to nail things down, weigh pros and cons of different options and technologies (saving me time) and still include plenty of cool stuff. It's definitely an introduction, I'd like to rea ...more
Khang Nguyen
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
One of the first book on smoking hot HTML5. Was it useful? Uhm, yeah, it actually was. Just that if you want to learn about HTML5, the web is a better publication platform (hell, you can even inspect the HTML while reading). By the time I write this review HTML5 spec was finalized and is different from what it was. The authors DID acknowledge that drawback and did a good job providing online resources for HTML5 learner. Though I got the general picture of HTML5 from this book, much of the practi ...more
Sijmen Mulder
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is how most introductory tech books should be written. A gentle introduction that doesn’t skip over anything important and points out some important caveats, in a nice and informal style with enough humour without overdoing it.

My copy, presumably first edition, has some misaligned colours which leads to blurry text here and there, especially in the coloured code listings. I also noticed some small copy mistakes but I trust that’s been fixed with more recent editions.
Spencer
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharp are defiantly people who know their stuff when it comes to HTML5. The book is readable for most users familiar with HTML at all, but also goes very advanced with regard to video.

I'd recommend Chapters :
1 HTML 5 Structure
2 Text
3 Forms
and
6 Data Storage

All the other chapters are designed for people wanting to implement, workers, GeoLocation aware webpages, Drag and Drop and I find them to be waaaaaayyy above my skill level.
paul redman
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I recently attended a Microsoft event featuring IE9, HTML 5 & Windows Phone 7. While at this event I won a copy of "Introducing HTML 5". I have been looking for a good book that could layout HTML 5 in a simple, systematic way that is easy to understand. This book hits the marks perfectly and I recommend it to anyone that is interested in learning the basics of HTML 5. ...more
darío hereñú
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
As usual, technical books get aged swiftly.
This confirm that rule, in some aspects.

Writing about some "techie" topics seems to be redundant or contradictory, ie: sockets is just one example.

By far, some "real world sites" do not exist anymore, so, imagination comes to rescue.

But html5 is here, aside, and will replace the actual code.

Good. Just good.
Steve Libbey
Jan 30, 2011 is currently reading it
Thus far, pretty clear explanations that go deep into the syntax and schema. I'm taking it slowly, trying to absorb as much as possible. My HTML5 knowledge is rudimentary at best; I have coded my portfolio site in it, nothing more.
Christian Krog
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great tour de force of HTML5 illustrating the most interesting of the new features as well as the features of several interesting separate specifications, that are all bound to become a standard part of the arsenal of web developers. Very easy to read with plenty of relevant examples.
Sergey Shishkin
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is a good overview of what HTML5 brings to web development. It is much fun to read and is very well written. Since HTML5 browser support is being developed very rapidly, an old-school paper book is probably not the best medium for the knowledge presented in this book.
Michael Sturgeon
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
The is called "Introduction" however the introduction is very shallow. The structure, layout, and colorfully displayed examples of code concepts is well done. However, I would personally desire to have more depth.
Fabrizio
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great quick book to read to familiarise yourself with the new HTML5 and shows all sort of situation where you need to adapt the code to get your websites future proof.
Evgeny Godov
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Must-to-read chapters are: multimedia, stand-alone functions, API geolocations. Though, it doesn't enough for making smth like "Canvas Rider" for Chrome :)
Tracy E.
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
In-depth and talks in easy-going language for intermediate to advanced designers straight from a couple guys involved in HTML5 development. I used this to create my current templates.
Derek Bridge
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a nice, snappy treatment of the upcoming next version of HTML. Timely, with good content, well-explained.
Dean Jones
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm reading this book on and off when I need it. So far it's been a great, quick read for getting up to speed on current HTML5 technology. I've already put a lot of it to use.
William
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Good enough, and starts off well. Good basics as an introduction. Not as satisfying as other HTML5 introductions, however, because it soon seems to wander, sometimes into non-introductory areas.
Artur
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer
A little bit outdated, but a very good intro. It provides a holistic view of HTML 5 and highlights the new idea (semantic web) behind HTML 5 compared to 4 or XHTML.
Yasmine
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Funny and very informative!
Abdelhadi Khiati
a cool book that introduce to you the all options of HTML5 but it still not enough for professionals

• Designing with Web Standards
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • Mobile First
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • jQuery in Action
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »