Start by marking “An Inconvenient Truth: The Crisis of Global Warming: Teen Edition” as Want to Read:
An Inconvenient Truth: The Crisis of Global Warming: Teen Edition

An Inconvenient Truth: The Crisis of Global Warming: Teen Edition

Children's Literature

This book is a young person's version of an adult book that accompanied a documentary by the same name in 2006.

Former Vice President Al Gore's New York Times #1 bestselling book is a daring call to action, exposing the shocking reality of how humankind has aided in the destruction of our planet and the future we face if we do not take action to stop
Published April 10th 2007 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about An Inconvenient Truth, please sign up.
Andonu R. We read this - feel good ("I did something for the planet": read a book!) - do nothing more. This is what conservatism is. Are there any political…moreWe read this - feel good ("I did something for the planet": read a book!) - do nothing more. This is what conservatism is. Are there any political program goals, which could be voted today, and have immediate impact on this planet? Or we're doomed? Or there just aren't on the book?
"I'm not an ecologist. Do you think an ecologist is willing to violently hold someone down to sterilize them? What ecologists do isn't effective: overcome by technology. I am effective.
My idea for conservatism is a bit more extended: it comes down to 'can it actually change the world?' or just makes you feel good. You know: all these words that mean nothing. 'Significant words' in rallies and political speeches."
Pacifism is when you accept past's injustices, like some Beatles' songs, rather than be potentially radical or/and violent. This has a political program.(less)

Start your review of An Inconvenient Truth: The Crisis of Global Warming: Teen Edition
Bettie

Pretty sure that Al Gore's books are on a 'soon-to-be-banned' list in a drawer somewhere in 37v2's malfeasant gumment:

Climate scientists preempt possible suppression from White House

Read all you can before this happens.
Colin Price
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
An accessible text for younger readers, relying far more on pictures and text feature than actual words (cumbersome words, who needs them anyway). I'm sure for anyone who has been living in a cave and doesn't know even the basics of the climate crisis, this would be an okay primer, but it stops short of having any real teeth to motivate change ("Okay Mr. Gore, I won't stand with the refrigerator door open so I can conserve energy. Now let me get back to listening to my iPod while playing Xbox ...more
Phuongpham
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An Inconvenient Truth: the Crisis of Global Warming by Al Gore
Pg 1 to Pg 187
Question 10:
As i read today, many things supprised me that our global is threatened very seriously. I really supprised by how much Co2 you are emitting each year. We release CO2 in the atmosphere when we burn fossil fuels_oil, natureal gas, and coal used in cars, homes, factories, and power plants. Also the book talks about the rainstorms in India, the droughts in Asia and America. It is so dangerous for our Earth.
Cynda
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 2006, shortly after it was published.
As a person who lives on the Texas Gulf Coast and who loves the Earth, I so took to heart the images of Louisiana barrier islands before and after Hurricanes Rita and Katherina. Loss of Estuaries to promote life and Loss of Barrier Islands to protect the land and people inland.
The book presents a consist, concise, illustrated message. Charts, images of shorelkne, graphs of heat building, and more.
I need to re-read this book.
Karly
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting and eye-opening read. Especially since it was published in 2006 and Al Gore makes many (scary) predictions for the next 10-15 years...which is now. I’d like to read a follow up to this book to see where we landed with those predictions. Thankfully the last chapter was dedicated to how was can act on climate change and make changes in our lives to help save the planet.
Sandy
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, juvenile
I thought this book had lots of information on the level that kids could understand. Not much else to say about it though. It only had a few pages devoted to talking about what we should do to fix the problems. It was published in 2006 and the information was up to 2005. There should be an updated version since it's now 2019.
Clifford
May 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
A typical book written by a politician. Gore does not refute opposing opinions to his claims, but instead portrays them as misguided or bought and paid for by big oil. If this is the best argument that those who support anthropogenic climate change, then it is no wonder that people are starting to jump ship and abandon the religious fervor of man-made global warming. To support such a theory, you must embrace the detractors and demonstrate with evidence why their argument is wrong. Gore presents ...more
Kate
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Having just read a plethora of religious environmental books, I wasn't impressed by the scare tactics and doom and gloom of this message. There are lots of charts and graphs that were hard to understand, and it was mostly scientific points. I missed an underlying ethic or worldview that helps frame this crisis in a manageable way. It's fine to show us that a lot of bad things are happening, but we can't re-freeze the glaciers. Tell us the next step - the pro-active things we can do (other than ...more
Alison Lake
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
I just wasn't that into this book. The pictures and the graphics were very interesting and made the text make more sense, especially for teen readers. I just thought that his arguments (in this edition) were a bit oversimplified and certainly one-sided. I'm not saying that global warming is not a threat nor am I saying that I disagree with everything he writes in this book, I just didn't really enjoy the way he wrote it.
Marie  Ash-Evans
Jul 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An very unscientific 'scientific' book! I only recommend this book as an exercise in wish-fulfillment! A wish to be a scientist can be fulfilled without the discipline of a scientific education or experience if you have enough money. I think he wrote his 'facts' they way he wished them to be and certainly in no way proved his thesis.
Sally Ahn
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hanzi
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Bryson Hough
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
In this book by Al Gore, it explains global warming. It explains how it began and ways we can stop it. This book does a good job of figuring out why we have major problems with our atmosphere. While he explains the problems he in geniusly explains ways that we can stop or slow down the production of greenhouse gasses. As he explains the ways he also explains how he learned to make it different and more able to relate and make your experiences with it.

I think that the person that would like
Andonu R.
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Emergency? And what should we do mr. Gore? We read this - feel good ("I did something for the planet": read a book!) - do nothing more. This is what conservatism is. Are there any political program goals, which could be voted today, and have immediate impact on this planet? Or we're doomed? Or there just aren't on the book?
Sieul
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If we say that I erased the part of the front page that said ' the crisis of global warming ' , can you guess what the inconvenient truth mean? I couldn't guess with out the subtitle. After reading this book, I got to think about global warming more. But before reading this book, I still thought about global warming but it was not much as now. I think I know why this book is so popular and this book taught me and now I know that global warming is very serious and dangerous. Also, My mom says ...more
Meredith Ritchie
Found this book on my high school's shelf while doing inventory and I am impressed by how approachable it is! It is written for kids/teens. The text is minimal; there are lots of charts and pictures. He references many outside resources. Although I had a basic understanding of climate change (and yes, I did already believe in climate change before reading the book), this books clarified some questions. It is a quick read- I could have probably read it in just a couple hours. Overall, I would ...more
Claire Cho
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting(and some part shocking) how the Earth changed since the start of human history. It made me look in a different view after reading this book - how much we're in trouble than we think of, and how we're not taking care of our own planet, where we live on, and where we rely on. I wish many people notice the crisis of the Global Warming we're making, and act different for our future.
Gatto
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edu-333
This is a very accessible version of Al Gore's writing on climate change. The pictures and diagrams are vibrant. The information is bite size and never more than half a page at a time. It is easily digestible.

This can be useful for a classroom for research. Students can use it to start discussions about responsibility. What should be done? Should we consider anyone/everyone responsible?
Connie T.
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well-written overview of the global warming crisis. As others have mentioned this is not a text-heavy tome but I feel that works to the book's advantage. An abundance of photos, graphs, and diagrams, along with brief explanations, bring home the scary message that climate change is real.
Dorian Pacheco
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A condensed version of AIT. The longer version didn't offer much more in the way of substance so if you're interested in reading Gore's work this one is the way to go as it's a quick read.
Shelby Moore
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The book An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore is about climate change and it's detrimental impact on society. Gore does a good job at making the book easy to understand by using lots of charts, graphs, pictures, and simple text. An Inconvenient Truth was a very easy read and was slightly too easy which is why I chose 3/5 stars. Gore did a good job of getting his point across but there wasn't very much depth to the information.
Regina
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, read-in-august
Excellent
Erinn
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for teens; too simplistic for a well educated adult.
Loji
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very real and alarming
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Al Gore, let me count the ways in which you've scared me...

Has Big Brother turned green? Why was this biased book in my school library?!?

I've never read a more biased book, not to mention it's expensive glossy full-color paper is a monument to Al Gore's hypocrisy... I looked up what was in the paper and ink of this book: loads of bleach, dyes, non-biodegradable acids and other little industrial time-bombs...

Al Gore, you sure are one hell of a loser.

Is it just me, or is it pathetic that
Lídia
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: leinn
One problem shown in the book is how global warming affects seasons and by that alters animals reproduction life and ecosystem. An example, birds used to put eggs on April and crack on June, with warms who would also come out at that time, with global warming alteration warms will came out earlier at May but birds reproduction life won’t, this will affect on the difficulty to find warms at June causing the new born bird to die from hunger. This situation made me think of how will it be for us in ...more
Tyler Chute
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Have you ever wondered about our world and its problems? Well as you read An Inconvenient Truth you will learn all about global warming. Al Gore explains global warming to the reader in a marvelous way. You will learn anything you need to know about global warming and how it affects are world.
This book starts off by telling us about how our Earth came to be and how we first got pictures of it. Then it goes into talking about greenhouse gases and how we are making the amount of them larger. Once
William
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is paired with Ship Breaker. I was hoping that Gore himself did the narration, but Beau Bridges has a great voice, too. This book is a great introduction to global warming. It is engaging, funny, and insightful, all the things you thought Gore wouldn’t be. I was actually shocked at some of the facts and hope that our children heed the warning. Pairing this book with Ship Breaker lets the librarian sneak in some factual information to show that most science fiction has some science to ...more
Jeanelle Seals
Apr 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was great! It really showed me that everything we do to our earth, there is an impact even if it isn't near you. I liked all of the pictures and diagreams. The fact that it didn't have a lot of words, but instead it showed me with powerful pictures was exactly what I was looking for when it came to a book about the environment.
The book was about the effects of global warming. It shows and tells us that if we don't protect the planet we live on as soon as possible, then
Emma Beachy
An Inconvenient Truth: The Crisis of Global Warming by Al Gore explains the truth and reality of climate change using scientific data and uncovers its potentially disastrous consequences, while promoting awareness and action for the future. Its subject matter not only describes how humans have contributed to climate change, but also how we can take steps to fix what we have done.
Informative and effective in its presentation of both the causes and effects of climate change, I found An
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shadowborn Prison (Dark Fae Paranormal Prison, #1)
  • Climategate: The Crutape Letters
  • The Way I Heard It
  • They Cage the Animals at Night
  • The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and our Health—and a Vision for Change
  • Everything's Amazing [sort of] (Tom Gates, #3)
  • The Day My Butt Went Psycho
  • All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
  • Plastic Purge: How to Use Less Plastic, Eat Better, Keep Toxins Out of Your Body, and Help Save the Sea Turtles!
  • Meatless: Transform the Way You Eat and Live--One Meal at a Time
  • The Good Food Revolution: Growing Healthy Food, People, and Communities
  • The Market Gardener: A Handbook for Successful Small-Scale Organic Farming
  • The Responsibility Revolution: How the Next Generation of Businesses Will Win
  • Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories
  • The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook: 77 Essential Skills to Stop Climate Change
  • The One-Straw Revolution
  • Locally Laid: How We Built a Plucky, Industry-changing Egg Farm - from Scratch
  • Start-Up City: Inspiring Private and Public Entrepreneurship, Getting Projects Done, and Having Fun
Albert Arnold "Al" Gore, Jr. was the forty-fifth Vice President of the United States, serving from 1993 to 2001 under President Bill Clinton. Gore also served in the U. S. House of Representatives (1977–85) and the U. S. Senate (1985–93), representing Tennessee. Gore was the Democratic nominee for president in the 2000 election, ultimately losing to the Republican candidate George W. Bush in spite ...more
“I actually thought and believed that the story would be compelling enough to cause a real sea change in the way Congress reacted to that issue. I thought they would be startled, too. And they weren't.” 4 likes