Start by marking “The Simple Truth” as Want to Read:
The Simple Truth

The Simple Truth

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  27,053 Ratings  ·  674 Reviews
Twenty five years ago, Rufus Harms was convicted of a murder he believes he committed. But when his memory is jogged by a letter from the army, he has a shocking realization: he's not guilty. From prison, Rufus secretly files an appeal with the Supreme Court, unaware that the real killers are onto him. But the long-time convict knows he's running out of time when his lawye ...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Grand Central Publishing (first published November 18th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Simple Truth, please sign up.
Christine Green I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. Finished over 700 pages in about 3 days. David Baldacci writes a damn good story.
Life of Pi by Yann MartelCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëEragon by Christopher Paolini
What To Read Next
11,393 books — 20,096 voters
The Firm by Robin A.H. WaterfieldA Time to Kill by John GrishamThe Lincoln Lawyer by Michael ConnellyCornered Coyote by Dianne HarmanThe Pelican Brief by John Grisham
Legal Thrillers
210 books — 382 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
The first novel by this author they I've read, really enjoyed it. Felt very connected to Rufus and his plight. I will read more of this author for sure. This is a prolific author I really don't know much about. Maybe my friends will have to help me fill in the blanks!
Fred
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, re-read
Linda
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love a tantilizing mystery
Heather
Jul 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
This story takes place in and around Washington DC. It centers around an old man who has spent the last 25 years of his life in a military prison for murder. He files an appeal (I won't tell you why), and a star clerk for the Supreme Court gets involved.

There are lots of twists and lots of suspense. There's murder, cover-up, romance, and everything else that David Baldacci is great at. If you've read anything else by him and liked it, you'll love this one.
Albert Felixovich
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Առաջին գիրքնա Բալդաչիից, բայց մյուս գրածներն էլ կկարդամ էս տարի։ Պուպուշ գալիվուդսկի պաթոսով ֆինալ էր։ Մեջն ինչ ասես կար՝ ծախված դատավորներ, սիրային պուճուրիկ դրամա, ախպերական սեր, էքշըն, մի թեթև պատմություն Ամերիկայի արդարադատության կազմավորումից։ Ընդհանուր հետաքրքիր էր, ուղղակի պետք ա դեմի 150 էջը դիմանալ)
P.S. Հազիվ մի անգամ նախորոք կարացա գուշակեմ գլխավոր զլաձեյին))))
Captainslog
Jun 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Gyula
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I do like a good thriller, especially with twists and turns. The first few pages of this book are so well written, that I found it promising. Reading further I was wondering if it was necessary to introduce so many characters in the beginning. Now I think it wasn’t. Some of them could appear later, and the first part of the book could be better paced.

Baldacci kept the secret hidden until the crisis, which was supposed to give suspense. Actually I found it out at the half of the book, so the fina
Jim
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read one other novel by David Baldacci, Divine Justice, one of the Camel Club novels. This was a much better book. Browsing reviews of this book by other readers I get the impression that there are elements of this novel that are common to some of his other books as well. I can understand why that might well be annoying to readers who have read lots of an author's novels. But as someone who is dealing with just this one novel, I'm going to talk mostly just about this book.

I liked it an awfu
Namita Sreekumar
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved Baldacci's style of writing; for the simplicity of the language, especially because it revolves around law and justice. It is fast-paced with a little romance, action and suspense. He is, without doubt, one of the best 'political-thriller' authors I have come across! The Simple Truth is a page turner and a must-read.
Rod
A well crafted fast moving treat it's my second read for the week.
I have been away all this week and read "Last Man Standing" and feel that David Baldacci has raised the Bar a level with this book we had interesting twists and one quite big surprise in the finale I would recommend this Book I f you want a top Mystery thriller after all that i will have to say 5 stars
Karen
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
It took me while to get into this book but I trusted Mr Baldacci and his style to take me to the end of a good ready.
Rufus Harms has been in the stockade 25 years for a murder he commited. But that is all about to change with a letter he receives from the military. He attempts to file an appeal directly to the Supreme Court. A string of murders begin to occur once the appeal leaves his hands.
Can he possibly get his case heard?
Darcy
This one is classic Baldacci, reminded me of themes in other books he wrote. I hated what Rufus had to go through, hated how he was wronged, but loved that there were people that stepped up to help him. Sure many of them didn’t expect to at the start, but by the end most everyone was doing the right thing. By the end of the book you have hope that those that are left will live their lives in a way to honor and fix what had been done.
Tim Smith
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can read my review at http://world-of-sleuths.blogspot.com/....
Beth Sammons
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another balsamic great. Great characters, moving target on who dun it and great surprise ending.
Cheryl Sinclair
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to read more of his books. This one is a real page turner.
Loretta Gibson
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baldacci
It's been a while since I've read Baldacci, I had forgotten how he can tell a story that is utterly compelling, yet it's never to graphically violent or sexually explicit. He has done an amazing job in creating both likable as well as unlikable characters. This is a fast paced thriller filled with intrigue, conspiracy and betrayal. Baldacci is one of my favorite authors.
Lorna
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
reading this book...was roads i have traveled...and Lived...2nd book i have read of his...AWESOME...i think they should make Movies with his Books... :)
Ann
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid and entertaining mystery. Complex and interesting characters.
Jerry B
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and suspenseful Grishamesque legal thriller!

"Truth" was our first novel by Baldacci, and a pleasant surprise indeed. From first learning that a long-imprisoned military convict is probably innocent of a young girl's murder, to the series of deaths the investigation into these old events precipitates, we can hardly wait to see what will happen next, not to mention "whodunit"! Supreme Court law clerk Michael Fiske gets in over his head when he begins to pursue the truth in the priso
Jesse Whitehead
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
I usually find mystery/thriller books to be full of flat and unrealistic characters with poorly conceived stories. Realizing that most people who try out science fiction and fantasy -- my usual forte -- have the same complaints about those genres I decided to give a few of the more popular mysteries a try. I picked up a stack of books from a yard sale and started with the first one alphabetically.

This didn't do anything to dissuade from my opinions. The story was filled with useless details, rid
Linda Munro
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I became acquainted with David Baldacci through goodreads.com. I have only read his more recent books, until now. I found this novel at our library’s recent annual book sale.

This novel opens with an Oscar Wilde quote: “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.” This quote is an accurate indication of how this book plays out.

Rufus Harms is in a military prison, where he has spent the last quarter century of his life. Rufus’ brother Josh is about the only person to visit him, and one day he sne
Bruce Perrin
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Simple Truth is anything but simple – in the telling anyway

The Simple Truth is the story of Rufus Harms, who recovers his memory 25 years after being convicted of killing a young girl. That memory, however, proves his innocence, touching off a series of events involving smuggled documents and clandestine meetings, chases and gun battles, tense emotional drama, and yes, more murder.

Balducci does a good job, keeping the tension and suspense high. While those seeking to aid Harms in clearing hi
Jim
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
David Baldacci is, in my view, on of the finest political-thriller writers today (and darn good apart from genre). His books keep me going much faster than many other enjoyable authors. The Simple Truth is an early work detailing foul deeds at a military prison that led to the death of a young girl and the incarceration of her soldier killer. Except, of course, the situation is not quite as simple as that, which begins to come to light when the prisoner receives a letter from the US Army that tr ...more
~Bellegirl91~
k, I've read almost all Baldacci books now and I really liked a few of his others such as: First Family, Hour Game (all time favorite), The Winner, Deliver Us From Evil, Total Control, and the Camel club series. But I'm going to have to add this one! The Simple Truth! I REALLY loved this storyline and he'd done it again. He brings the story alive, and his characters seem real and you get sucked into his books! I love the way he writes and he's my all time favorite author! He really didn't dissap ...more
Sam
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
This is a really good fast paced thriller packed full of conspiracy and intrigue as Rufus Harms tries to clear his name after spending 25 years behind bars, helped by John Fiske, whose brother got caught in the cross fire when he stumbles across Harms' case. There are lots of twists and turns that keep the story interesting and keep you guessing as to the motives and outcomes and the characters are well written and generally believable, although I still don't get why Harms' waited so long to try ...more
Atishay
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
David Baldacci is known for his page turning thrillers and un-putdownable fast reads. True. This is another one of them. But, there's a difference. This one is a Powerhouse
Never before since The Day of the Jackal has a thriller so impressed me. Why? Because the character development done is simply superb. The painful past, injuries and feelings portrayed by Baldacci through John Fiske are too spontaneous and human, making his character immediately realizable.
This is one book whose movie adapt
Maureen
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it was a mystery.
It is very well written and an easy read. It is about a lawyer who sets out to clear a man who was sent to prison for a crime he did not commit. It certainly shows how the judicial system sometimes fails people. People are getting killed because of the research this lawyer is doing to find out the real truth.
Eric
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
My fourth Baldacci book and least favorite. Slow to develop, didn't really connect with the protagonist(s) and the big reveal at the end was anti-climactic.

Still, I enjoyed the other Baldacci's books that I read enough to compel me to try more.
Bill
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense Fiction Lovers
David Baldacci's "The Simple Truth" was a good read. Good characters, suspense in the Richmond, VA and Washington D.C. area. I took 8th graders to D.C. and toured many of the locations. I recommend the book to suspense fiction lovers, and anyone interested in D.C.
CFc Nafees
whoa ! My first read of Baldacci and I'm completely overwhelmed. The tortuous journey was so captivating I hardly could put it down.
The inside conspiracies and the revelations plotted deftly enough to enthrall a reader in each of its pages.
Goodreads Librari...: Please change cover 3 25 Mar 24, 2016 10:18AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 14 Mar 13, 2016 07:32PM
2018 Reading Chal...: Elaine's 40 book challenge 3 34 Feb 19, 2016 08:43PM
Amazingly Gripping !!!! 2 27 Oct 02, 2013 01:07AM
  • The First Counsel
  • Word of Honor
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • Numbered Account
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • Reversible Errors (Kindle County, #6)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Winner by David Baldacci Summary & Study Guide
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • The Last Hostage (Kat Bronsky, #1)
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, because “every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; one year later ...more
More about David Baldacci

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Sideways
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Warleggan: A Novel of Cornwall, 1792-1793 (Poldark)
  • I Capture the Castle
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Small mistakes tend to lead to large ones. Ours is a lifetime appoinment, and all you have is your reputation. Once it's gone, it doesn't comeback.” 93 likes
“Depending on the situation, sometimes you can know a person better in ten minutes than someone you have crossed paths with all your life.” 57 likes