Start by marking “Absolute Power” as Want to Read:
Absolute Power

Absolute Power

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  82,539 Ratings  ·  1,560 Reviews
A grizzled professional cat burglar gets trapped inside the bedroom closet of one of the world's richest men, only to witness, through a one-way mirror, two Secret Service agents kill the billionaire's trampy young wife as she tries to fight off the drunken sexual advances of the nation's chief executive. Running for his life, but not before he picks up a bloodstained lett ...more
Published 2003 by Pan Publishing (first published October 4th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Absolute Power, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Katie Cat Books
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
Best Spy Novels
1,008 books — 1,824 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
2,969 books — 3,522 voters

More lists with this book...

Bibi
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this some 15 years ago and it's a must for all lovers of thriller and sinister suspense books.

It's an adrenaline filled read, starting from the first scene when Luther, a petty thief, witnesses the POTUS committing murder. Thereon, it's a race to ensure he does not become the next victim.

Absolute Power and The Winner are, undoubtedly, some of Baldacci's best work.
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favourite of Baldacci's novels. Absolute Power is slick, swift and daring in its plot of corruption, murder, litigious attorneys and the dark side to wealth and cash.
Adam
Oct 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
David Baldacci's Absolute Power has a decent story, but it was hard for me to enjoy because I found the writing so hackneyed that it distracted me from the plot. Here's a representative descriptive passage:

At the sound of the explosion, the playing stopped as three pairs of eyes turned as one toward the house. In another minute they were inside. It only took one more minute for the screams to be heard. The quiet neighborhood was no more.

Forget, for a moment, the clumsy use of the passive voice i
Fred
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, movie, re-read
** my second read **

A Virginia Burglar, Luther Whitney(66 - Clint Eastwood in the movie) made a surveillance & break into the Sullivan family's rich home. US President, Alan Richmond(40 - Gene Hackman in the movie) takes drunk Christine Sullivan to her house for sex. From a closet in her house, Luther watches them fight, Alan's slashed with letter opener & Christine's killed by 2 Secret Service men, Tim Collin & Bill Burton. Gloria Russell(37), President Chief of Staff took the "bloo
Joey Woolfardis
Meh. Relatively quick-paced action, clichéd kind of mystery thriller crime guns Yank stuff. The distraction I needed but nothing more substantial. For what it is it is pretty much a 5-star thing, but in my opinion it is hardly that.
Susan
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I think this may not be a 'great' novel and has probably been panned by those far more astute than I, but I loved it. I was about 100 pages into in when I started on my trip of 1 one hour flight, 1 one hour layover and 1 five hour flight. It totally kept my interest until I finished the last page as we landed at my home airport. A veteran burglar chooses the wrong mansion to rob on the wrong night and witnesses the President of the United States trying to kill his sex partner and his secret ser ...more
kartik narayanan
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Welp, I finally got around to reading the book that started it all. I remember seeing the movie back in '95 and seeing it because it had Clint Eastwood in it. After roughly 25(?) years, I read this book and it didn't disappoint.

The story is a bit dull by today's standards but given its context, it came out during the Clinton era, I think it is quite courageous and interesting. Of course, this has been reused multiple times; even by Baldacci himself (First Family comes to mind). The characters ar
Lisa Temple
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 18+
"Absolute Power" illustrates what it is I like best about David Baldacci's books: the perfect balance and blend of action and storyline. Rare is the storyteller that can capture the attention of my military fiction loving - action-craving husband, and at the same time provide enough compelling plot and character development to have me turning pages long into the night.

With the exception of his "Camel Club" series (if you haven't read them - run - go - find them now), "Absolute Power" is my favor
Miriam Smith
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a real page turner I couldn't put it down, as with all political thrillers they can be difficult to follow at times and this was no exception but the story was brilliant and I really enjoyed it. I'd seen the film many years before and could only remember bits of it so not sure how much it ties to the book but I know I did enjoy watching it. I would recommend this book, it is quite long but powerful and a real eye opener into the world of Americal presidential politics.
Gary
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it grabbed me from the start and made me want to continue reading.
A well-crafted story, strong characters that are believable and easy to visualise. An interesting story line that is different to the usual thrillers. Lots of twists and turns and worth the read.
Ioana
Apr 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've enjoyed books by Baldacci in the past, but this one is awful. First, the writing is garbage: it reads at a fifth-grade level, uses fifth grade vocabulary (+ cussing), is frequently grammatically incorrect, and consists of cliched, trite, unoriginal phrasings.

Second, Baldacci comes off as arrogant, misogynistic, morbidly fascinated by violence, especially against women, and overall like a person I would definitely NOT want to know; yes, his characters are detestable, but his *enjoyment* in
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; DECEMBER 4, 2015
Narrator: Scott Brick

I was thrilled by this book right up to 70%. Then I began to tire, then wilt, then couldn't wait for it to end. The problem I have with Baldacci's first book is that it didn't have enough - or any! "hero" moments - those scenes where the hero comes to the rescue and the audience claps (at least, in Asia back in the 60s) or the US cavalry finally came. There was none of that here. The evil POTUS had the upper hand all the way and the good
Nu-Jahat-Jabin
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
America এর পরেসিডেনট নিঃসনদেহে বরতমান দুনিয়াতে সবচেয়ে কষমতাধর বযকতি হিসাবে সবীকৃত সেটা আসল দুনিয়াতেই হোক আর ফিকশনের দুনিয়াতেই হোক।কষমতা এমন এক জিনিস যেটা যোগযা মানুষকে করে শকতিশালী কিনতু অযোগয মানুষকে দূরবল।
কষমতার অপবযবহার এর ফলাফল কি মূলত সেটাই এই বইতে দেখানো হয়েছে।
বইটার একটা সমসযা হল মনে রাখার মত কোন একশন নাই, একক কোন বীরতব নাই ।
কিনতু কাহিনী গতিশীল আবার খুব যে টেনে যে রেখেছে তেমন ও না। সব কিছু মিলিয়ে ২বার পড়ার পর মোটামুটি মানের থরিলার লেগেছে।
Mike French
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Somehow I missed this book when I started reading Baldacci. I am glad I saw it on Goodreads! It was a page turner from the start to the end. If you haven't read it,put it on top of your "to read" list!
Emilie Hendryx
I have read a lot of Baldacci’s books. Like I’ve come to expect from him, the plot was fast paced and ever expanding. The evil characters are very very bad. The scope and, dare I say depravity, of the lengths to which people will go to in the book is fantastical, yet in line with the plot.

While I didn’t like it as much as his later novels, I still feel like his writing is engagingly descriptive and entertaining.

What I did not like, however, was the crass sexual content and language. I’ve come
Justin
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This book had a great premise and overall was good. I felt like there were too many subplots and it didn't get all wrapped and tied together neatly like in some other authors' books. I also didn't care of all of the bad language in it. I know that is lame to some and that sometimes that type of language is used to define a character, but it shouldn't be every character.

Spoiler alert:
The part of this book I disliked the most is the lack of Luther being in it. He had next to no dialogue, other tha
Judy Collins
Not sure how I missed David Baldacci's first book, ABSOLUTE POWER! However, have seen the movie several times over the years with, Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood, and Ed Harris (1997). A career thief witnesses a horrific crime involving the U.S. President.

From the mansion in Virginia, the sexual scandal, passion turned violent, a burglar behind a wall. Passion turns deadly involving the President of US. A witness. New meaning to the wrong place, at the wrong time. Corruption, conspiracy, scandal.
Susie
This was my first audio book. I had a long car ride (14ish hours each way) for the Thanksgiving holiday, and found this at a great used bookstore, reasonably priced and 19 hours in duration. Having heard good things about Baldacci but never read him, this seemed promising...

It was disappointing. This is a novel without any mystery or suspense. The reader watches the crime occur and then endures 900 pages of characters stumbling to figure out what we already know. The characters are flat and ster
Corey
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that got David Baldacci started in his writing career and for a first book I thought it was his best. I'd seen the movie Absolute Power with Clint Eastwood then I'd decided to read the book and I thought the book was a lot better. It follows the same plot line as the movie but it has many differences in it. It's about a long time thief named Luther Whitney who is in the middle of robbing a rich couple's home and he witnesses a murder and the man involved with it is the President ...more
Asghar Abbas
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Pure power of a well executed idea.
Leslie
If you looked on my read books list you would see I read and rated this book in a different format and I rated it 5 stars. I first read this when it was first released and I loved it so much. But that was then and honestly now I found myself rather bored. I love the Clint Eastwood movie version of the story where he, wisely, chops out the entire law firm subplot and makes it an adventure / mystery set in the halls of power.

While to story is compelling; the fiction account of a immoral US Presid
David Highton
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spotted a 20th Anniversary edition of Baldacci's first book in my local library and realised that I had never read it (although I had seen the Clint Eastwood film)
A well constructed plot idea in the first place and well written for a first novel, the book is probably a little too long and the ending does not really build to a crescendo, so 4 stars for me not quite 5
Karin Diricx
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weer een nieuwe schrijver die op mijn lijst staat kende hem niet maar vond het boek goed.
James Glass
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Baldacci has a gift for writing ans this story delivered. Right off the start we have, Luther Whitney, a career break-in-artist trapped inside a secret room, watching as the President of the United States and a woman start to make love. While Whitney waits for an opportunity to escape, the passion turns deadly between the two lovers. Witnessing a brutal murder, Whitney finds himself running for his life as the president of the United States, a man with Absolute Power, will stop at nothing to kee ...more
Jane Stewart
I did not enjoy the hopeless, helpless, anxious, unlucky, victim feel for most of the book. I also had problems with the narrator.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
Bad things keep happening to good guys. I didn’t have anybody to root for or to be excited for. No good guy was smart enough. The bad guys kept outsmarting the good guys. And luck was on the side of the bad guys. I never smiled while reading this book. My feelings were unpleasant. One night I had trouble sleeping because I was anxious and worried ab
Stephan
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: david-baldacci
I am not sure how I felt about ABSOLUTE POWER. I have read several books by Baldacci, but this one seemed different. I rated it 4 out 5. It definitely grabbed my attention right at the beginning and kept me engaged. However, strictly my opinion, the story dragged out longer than it had to. The story line was busy and there was a lot of different characters popping up. Also, there were scenes it the story that did not have a great deal of significance with the story line.

The book started out with
B J
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
The President of the country uses all his resources to cover up a murder blamed on a witness whose identity is unknown to him, but he knows he is out there. He has the loyalty of his protectors if not their respect. Mingled into the story is the witness's daughter and her ex fiancee , their relationship, and the relationship between the father and daughter. It is an easy read but I never identified with any of the characters which almost always prevents me from getting lost in a book.
Sharon Clark
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first David Baldacci book that I've read and it won't be my last. I can see why it was made into a movie. The premise for the story was unique with Luther Whitney, a career burglar, inadvertently witnessing the president of the United States sleeping with, then beating the wife of a friend. The woman was shot by the president's secret service agents when it appeared that the woman might kill the president. The president's aides made every effort to cover their tracks and they felt th ...more
Anne-Marie
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first David Baldacci. I didn't realize, until after the first page, that it was a movie I'd seen several times - and loved! So it was difficult seeing the characters NOT as the actors - I failed. Rushed through the book as it is a page turner. Howeverrrrrr, strange for me to say this, but I preferred the movie *shock* *horror*!
Chris Matney
I listened to this book on audio CD while driving across country to a trade show. Having read some of Mr. Baldacci's later works, I was curious to go back a couple of decades to an earlier novel.

Overall, Absolute Power is a serviceable political thriller. As usual, Mr. Baldacci does an excellent job with character building - a strength of any good novel and certainly well done here. If you don't hate Alan Richmond by the end of this book, you haven't been paying attention. The supporting cast is
  • The List
  • The Tenth Justice
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Pleading Guilty (Kindle County, #3)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • The Charm School
  • The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #22)
  • After Dark
  • The Day After Tomorrow
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, "because every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; it was subsequ ...more
“Today might not be so good. But tomorrow, you got another chance to get it right.” 34 likes
“You know what kind of person it takes to run for President? Not normal. They could start out okay, but by the time they reach that level they've sold their soul to the devil so many times and stomped the guts out of enough people that they are definitely not like you and me, not even close.” 14 likes