Start by marking “REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture” as Want to Read:
REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture

REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture

Why don't typical enterprise projects go as smoothly as projects you develop for the Web? Does the REST architectural style really present a viable alternative for building distributed systems and enterprise-class applications?

In this insightful book, three SOA experts provide a down-to-earth explanation of REST and demonstrate how you can develop simple and elegant distri
Published September 24th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about REST in Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about REST in Practice

Start your review of REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
Michael Finocchiaro
This book was EXCELLENT! I loved learning how powerful the HTTP protocol is for APPLICATIONs and not just for data transport. Easy to read with examples and a great sample application, anyone that wants to design agile, powerful and open applications should be using REST and exploiting HTTP to the fullest, otherwise they will be creating needless headaches for themselves. A fantastic book!
Barbara Krein
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
These BOOKS are great. Really easy to read and understand, but not too boring. A GREAT foundation and/or a refresher.
Ahmad hosseini
Book tries to proof that web is a good platform for building enterprise systems. So it examines different aspect of web such as security, performance, and scalability to show this reality. The book can help you understand the details of the HTTP and using caching in your software in right way.
There is good examples and codes to show how you can use web to build enterprise systems. Book codes are based on Java and .NET.
Kirill
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very good book with perfect combination of design considerations and implementation details. Different aspects of REST design are gradually introduced and explained in connection with the Richardson maturity model. Examples are especially good and show some nifty ideas and pleasant code structure.

The book was issued in 2010. All the design ideas are surely still apply. But it is nice to see the development of Web formats and protocols since that time, like evolution of RDF-related formats or c
Ash Moran
I've found this immensely useful for understanding the REST principles that underpin software written for web.

The book starts by describing the levels of the Richardson Maturity Model, from tunnelling RPC calls over HTTP, to full hypermedia systems. There's quite a thorough description of the use of URIs, HTTP methods (GET, POST, PUT etc), media types, conditional requests (eg how to PUT a resource only if its ETag header indicates it has not been modified), and server response codes (far beyond
Lyubomir Galabov
I think it is a good book after all, but it definitely needs a second edition to accommodate all the new things going on like JSON, OAuth2, JWT, etc. Most of the examples are outdated, but still common out in the wild, but yet I really would appreciate a "contemporary" revisited edition! Besides that, the example feels kind of "straight forward", whereas in our everyday life we see edge cases that require great deal of expertise. Thereby, a set of examples would do a better job compared to Restb ...more
Michael
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
A good book, though not particularly enjoyable to read. The material presented is good, but there's not tons of style or personality to keep you going through the 350 pages. Still, I learned a bunch and corrected some misconceptions I had about REST, so I would say it was worth my time.
Arturas
Sep 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This book really needs a second edition. Reading it in 2020 nearly half of the content feels dated, especially implementation examples.

I recommend reading chapters 1-6, 9. Other chapters I would skim or skip entirely.

With above in mind I do feel that book explain Rest and Web as a platform quite well so there is useful information and insight to gain.
Jason
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: webdev
A bit long winded, however a calm walkthrough of enterprise backend systems. If you're coming from a .NET/J2EE space, this is a recommended read. I would also recommend this to aspiring systems architects.
Kev
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book on REST, though not as essential as others
p j mckenna
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

Interesting and simple to follow. Good examples used. The single business case study helped the structure.
Worth a read for anyone interested in this area.
Abhilash Gopalakrishnan
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book, taking us well into principles discussed by Roy Fielding and considerations for REST ful services. The approach and managing stateless considerations still handling state is wonderful.
Yannick Grenzinger
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Surely one of the most complete book about REST.

But also very long ... I have just read the part I was looking for :D
Glenn Burnside
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
The core concepts, I thought, were sound. And I appreciated the fact that they gave some practical guidance on .NET and Java development for both implementing and consuming applications over HTTP. But, I felt like by the middle of the book, it started to fall apart. I have a hard time believing that the future of app development is long polling atom feeds. And frankly, I didn't find their usage of atom pub particularly compelling. Their examples required a lot of squinting to agree that basing t ...more
Vasili Puchko
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
It's a good book about REST. But it's focused mostly on the XML. So about 50% of content doesn't apply to JSON services. And I believe that high-load services should use JSON or BSON instead of XML just because they are much smaller and faster.
Also it repeats the mistake made by Richardson in formulating RMM. The mistake in the way Richardson formulated RMM was to imply that systems with a higher number were inherently better. A RESTful system can be equally as crappy as an unRESTful system. The
Thomas Zeeman
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
More practical than the paper that originally coined the term REST and the section on level of maturity was nice to read. Although I might not agree with the hypermedia classification necessarily being the highest to go for. It feels rather complicated for many applications.

Not all was well though. The book being a few years old now it was already showing its age in several sections, i.e. where it was describing Atom/AtomPub as the next best thing while it pretty much dismissed micro formats as
Franck Chauvel
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This 2010 book—already—dives into REST services. Following the example of the Restbucks coffee shop, it gradually touches upon various issues, such as scaling, caching, security, etc. The authors illustrate each concerns with both Java and .NET code snippets and give a glimpse about possible implementations. They finally compare "traditional" WebServices (WS-*) with REST technology highlighting the pros and cons of both sides.

I really discovered the idea of hypermedia services, REST is actually
Tae
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web
If you want to know what the hell is REST go and read Architectural Styles and the Design of Network-based Software Architectures or Principled Design of the Modern Web Architecture by Roy Thomas Fielding, this book will help you after that. Although it's bloated with .NET and Java examples, it has a lot information on how to build RESTful services and take advantage of new technologies, like OpenID, OAuth and AtomPub. ...more
Andrew
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: utilitas, 01
I read this book in fits and starts, in part because I found it to dry to engage with for long spells. Since I have found most other explanations of RESTful development difficult to grasp, I have to commend this book for getting me further. Also, there is enough breadth of coverage of architectural issues that the book is a helpful reference point.

I got an enourmous amount out of chapter 7 on ATOM. There is probably two reasons for this: I derived a similar solution in ATOM some time ago for a s
Johnny
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everyone talks about REST, but only a few can explain it in a concise und understandable way as it’s done in this book. The different levels of hypermedia solutions and how their different behaviour will influence the real-world usage was an eye opener. There are many good ideas in the book to experiment with, but the ATOM feed to publish events is the one I find the most useful. The book is a must-read if you want to build software using REST as an architecture model.
Daniel Temme
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I took a very long break reading this because I was sick of web services of any kind. But I have finally finished reading it and am really impressed. If you have anything you want to share with anyone on the internet, this book has examples of how to do it and good explanations of the pros and cons. Very thorough. Maybe a bit dry with the .Net & Java code samples. ...more
Brett Dargan
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
great stuff, the introductory chapters, resonate with devs getting a grasp on REST.
The restbucks example is a great use case for teaching various RESTful aspects of a believable system non-trivial.
Eric Skaug
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Excellent introduction to REST, including not only the what and the how, but a really strong case for the why. I highly recommend this if you do web services development, even if REST is not currently on your radar.
James
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Good reference on REST for a beginner like myself. Good pacing; gets right to the point with minimal fluff to detract from what is being taught.

The book does not much address the why of REST but that helps the book be more focused and concise.
Rodrigo
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A must read book. Change your way and viewpoint about software development.
Rajat Vig
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, tech
a great write up of why web matters
Ronald
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Great book. Helped me to get my head around what all this REST stuff is. If you can only read one book on RESTful architectures, then this is probably the one.
Florian Thiel
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Good summary of REST. I missed an approach to evolving APIs, which seems inherently difficult using XML.
Ken Weinert
Dec 07, 2013 added it
Shelves: paperback
True
Terry
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Decent book. Good diagrams. A bit JAVA heavy, but you may be able to do analogous things in other languages. A good mix of high-level architecture and brass-tacks "how-to."

• Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • OCP Java SE 7 Programmer II Certification Guide: Prepare for the 1ZO-804 exam
  • JavaScript Cookbook
  • OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Certification Guide: Prepare for the 1ZO-803 exam
  • Irresistible APIs: Designing web APIs that developers will love
  • Domain Modeling Made Functional: Tackle Software Complexity with Domain-Driven Design and F#
  • Effective Java
  • Docker in Action
  • How Google Works
  • Competing with Unicorns: How the World’s Best Companies Ship Software and Work Differently

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »