Start by marking “God's Smuggler” as Want to Read:
God's Smuggler

God's Smuggler

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  36,139 ratings  ·  1,054 reviews
As a boy he dreamed of being a spy undercover behind enemy lines. As a man he found himself undercover for God. Brother Andrew was his name and for decades his life story, recounted in God's Smuggler, has awed and inspired millions. The bestseller tells of the young Dutch factory worker's incredible efforts to transport Bibles across closed borders-and the miraculous ways ...more
Published April 5th 2012 by Chosen Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about God's Smuggler, please sign up.
Stacy Here's what the back cover says...
Here's what the back cover says...
"As a boy Brother Andrew dreamed of being an undercover spy working behind enemy lines. As a man he found himself working undercover for God. His was a mission filled with danger, financed by faith and supported by miracles.

In this expanded edition, Brother Andrew's electrifying real-life story of smuggling Bibles into the most dangerous places on earth will grip readers all over again and inspire a new generation to step out on their own journeys of faith. Plus, a brand-new interview with Brother Andrew reveals behind-the-scenes information and fascinating insights into current events that are riveting the world.

Sixty years after his first perilous trip, Brother Andrew's legacy continues, making him one of the all-time heroes of the faith. This harrowing account of his narrow escapes and amazing adventures will bring you to the edge of your seat--and to a bold new level of faith."(less)

·  36,139 ratings  ·  1,054 reviews

Start your review of God's Smuggler
Sarah Grace Grzy
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 14+ for mature themes
Wow. Wow. Wow. This book, ya'll. I just can't even tell you how faith-strengthening, inspiring, adventuresome, and just down-right fun and encouraging this was! Simply amazing! Very highly recommended! Every Christian needs to read this! And even if your not into non-fiction, this is still a great book! At times I had to remind myself that is *was* non-fiction. Go find a copy of this! ...more
Mark
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In my early days of walking with Christ, it seemed every Christian was recommending this book. Thirty years later, I've finally read it. All I can say is: What took me so long?

There have been several books throughout my journey with the Lord that have impacted me so profoundly that I now view the reading of them as milestones in my life. This book may now top the list.

In "God's Smuggler," Brother Andrew tells his own story of smuggling Bibles to Christians behind the Iron Curtain. When he first
Mike (the Paladin)
Written in 1967 I've heard about this book for a long time and always "meant to get around to it". Well based on a recommendation here that reminded me of it I finally got it (after 46 years) and it was well worth the read.

First off this is a Christian read, know that going in. While it has value as a read about the Cold War era it is told from the point of view of a Christian missionary (and those involved with him.

Now for you who have a knee-jerk bad reaction to the word missionary I can only
Joey
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing true story that goes to show what complete faith in God can do! I was amazed at how many times God supplied al of the needs! A great reminder that “all things work together for good for those who love God.”
Age rec: 13+
Happy reading!
Natalie Vellacott
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a classic missionary biography. I just re-read it. I had forgotten that Brother Andrew includes his own personal testimony in the earlier chapters of the book. It's really a great story from angry, drunk, suicidal and anti-God to Christian. God placed people in Andrew's life at key points and I'm sure these people were faithfully praying for him.

The Bible smuggling part of the book is incredible and a reminder that God was and is at work to bring His Word to the unreached. Many times Br
Addy S.
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
A beautiful story of one man's perseverance and faith in the Lord. Highly reccomend this book! It was so incredible to see how God worked in Brother Andrew's life, and how He always provided for him and his family. I always enjoy reading an autobiography because you can always connect with the writer more than you can when reading a biography. I would reccomend it for ages 12+ because Brother Andrew, although unharmed, does get in many dangerous situations.

5 stars because it deserves no less. :
I haven't read this book in years. I remember my Dad read it aloud to us when we were young and that I've read other biographies of this man who follows God with his whole heart.
This and stories like it cause me to pray more for the church at large and make sure that I am living my life surrendered to God and whatever He calls me to do.
Jason Mccool
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: Pat McCool
My mom gave me this book in college back in 1995, and for some reason, I waited until last week to read it. Finishing it today, I am dumbfounded that I waited so long to read it. I had apparently started reading it back in 2008, judging from a bookmark left in it, but for some reason, never got more than a few pages into it. This time, I couldn't put it down. I was reading it while brushing my teeth, while eating my cereal, while waiting at stop lights. From Brother Andrew's childhood in Nazi-oc ...more
Tom Sussex
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story of faith that is ridiculously encouraging and convicting. To see God move again and again in situations that would be impossible for man alone, and to see every need met in such a miraculous way is c r a z y cool.

I think my expectations of God are often too limited, His place in my heart too small, and the amount I'm willing to trust Him with too safe. Oh to have faith even as small as a mustard seed!

"Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!"
Amanda Tero
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is an amazing book! There are really no words to describe it other than Brother Andrew simply living in obedience to God. But how encouraging and faith-building it is to follow years of his ministry! Some people think of doing grand things for Christ, but often, Brother Andrew was just THERE...giving hope to the persecuted Christians that there is someone else in the body praying for them. Reading this book will raise your awareness of persecuted Christians and the struggles they face. ...more
Victoria Lynn
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just. . . every Christian needs to read this.
Tessa
Faith. This entire book is a complete exercise in utter faith. I am in
awe.

This is really one of the best books I've ever read, and I think I will now read everything else that he's written. I think every Christian (oh, well non-Christians too, if they would) should read this.

It's also side-splittingly hilarious. Really. And it also takes place partly in Holland. You have no excuse, so go go.
Becky Pliego
So very good. My dd and I loved listening to this and were challenged in many unexpected ways. This book will help you love your Bible more and pray -for specifics- more and more frequently.
Jaimie Engle
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was by far the BEST non-fiction book I have ever read. It made me reconsider the degree that I believe in miracles. I love God, and always have, but this book showed me how small of a box in which I keep my God. A great read for anyone who is questioning where God is or if he still hears us.
Tim
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2021
It was a great story, but there were a few times that it felt like I heard that already, as he had the same adventure in different countries. But it was a great story. It was amazing to see how God used a humble man with humble origins to do great things.
Hilary
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brother Andrew is by his own admission a very ordinary man. Born in a small village in Sint Pancras, the Netherlands, from an early age he was like many children, dreaming about grand adventures. He's the son of the village blacksmith, living in poverty exacerbated by WWII, who joined the armed forces to find those adventures; although that didn't work out, God planted a seed within him, a seed which grew into the Open Doors ministry. Brother Andrew was born, a man who smuggled Bibles behind the ...more
D.I. Telbat
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I do not often say that something has changed my life, but the nonfiction book God's Smuggler has changed my life. The man called Brother Andrew (name changed for safety) who lived in Holland before and during the Iron Curtain years, impacted Europe with his faithfulness like no other person I'm aware of.

John and Elizabeth Sherrill's dedication to this carefully written and inspiring story touched my own faith-nerve--to live more by faith from day to day. Brother Andrew's openness to sacrifice
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Now for you who have a knee-jerk bad reaction to the word missionary I can only
Leah Good
I have heard about this book for most of my life and, while I didn't doubt the quality of the content, I expected it to be hard to read. After deciding to tackle it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was easy to read and extremely engaging. Funny stories throughout the book made me laugh and peoples poignant desire for God's word brought tears to my eyes on several occasions. Written in a style similar to The Hiding Place: 25th Anniversary Edition, I highly recommend this powerful story ...more
G.M. Burrow
Fantastic and so encouraging. Brother Andrew was a little Dutch boy who grew up in Nazi-occupied Holland. In his late teens, he joined the war in the East Indies as a foul-mouthed rebellious drunken jerk, and there finally picked up the little Bible his mother had faithfully packed for him. He converted on the spot and spent the rest of his life smuggling Bibles into Communist and Muslim countries. What staggers me is his FAITH. Brother Andrew simply and without any reservations trusted God for ...more
Amanda Moore
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was terrific! I haven’t been this inspired since I don’t know when. To witness his, and others absolute confidence in God’s provision, risking their very lives for fellow Christians who are persecuted and oppressed and not truly free to worship, puts my trivial complaints and superficial material wants in perspective. Brother Andrew and his wife, Corrie, are shining examples of trusting and walking with our Lord.
Rachel Schultz
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
One clear message, the copies of Bibles in our hands were hard won by suffering and sacrifice. And it is worthy of it all.

I can’t think about that first chapter, precious in so many ways, without crying, especially for dear dear Bas.
Grant
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
Excellent book. Engaging, inspiring, and convicting. This is one of the best I've read. ...more
Taija
Such a fast paced and quick read for me! Also, I take my bible for granted...
Caitlin
So, so good!!! I'm so glad I finally read this! ...more
Zoe (Book Hooked)
I had to read this for school so I dot really wanna review it lol

It was pretty boring in my opinion😂 But again most school books are. Just not a fan of memoirs I guess🤷🏽‍♀️
Poppy Brown
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My prayer is that I would have even a small portion of Brother Andrews faith in Gods providence for the small things in day to day life. A straight banger.
Katja
5 stars & 5/10 hearts. I read this book on the recommendation of a good friend. I was a bit wary at first, because I knew nothing of Brother Andrew and religious/doctrinal books require discretion. But I was quickly swept into the story. His childhood is so interesting and rather exciting (and I relate to having a half-deaf father who always needs you to yell things xD). His redemption story is absolutely AWESOME and I loved it. His salvation wasn’t’t explained very well but based on his life an ...more
Yibbie
I can’t count the number of times my mother read me this book, or I read it myself. The first time though I must have been very young because she had to skip the hardest part about his military service. I’m sure I was first most intrigued by the adventure. After all, it has all the elements of a great spy story: smugglers, illegal border crossings, clandestine meetings, victory. It was all so vividly real to a child.
Then as I got older his faith became so challenging, and his obedience so insp
Abigail Rehmert
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"God's Smuggler" is an inspiring story of missions. I'm encouraged to have more faith in God and to treasure the precious Word of God that I often take for granted. I really enjoyed the first few chapters about Brother Andrew's personal testimony and then later, the glimpses behind the Iron Curtain. God is SO BIG and we can always trust Him.

Some favorite quotes:

"...I could hardly wait to tell Corrie what God had done with the thimbleful of willingness we had offered Him."

"'Why are we worried!' R

• The Cross and the Switchblade
  • Tramp for the Lord
  • Joni: An Unforgettable Story
  • Run Baby Run
  • The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom
  • Tortured for Christ
  • Peace Child: An unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Teaching in the 20th Century
  • The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
  • Through Gates of Splendor
  • End of the Spear
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2)
  • A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall
  • Hinds' Feet on High Places
  • Light Force: A Stirring Account of the Church Caught in the Middle East Crossfire
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
Andrew van der Bijl (born 11 May 1928 in Sint Pancras, Netherlands), known in English-speaking countries as Brother Andrew, is a Christian missionary famous for his exploits smuggling Bibles to communist countries in the height of the Cold War, a feat that has earned him the nickname "God's smuggler". Brother Andrew studied at the WEC Missionary Training College in Glasgow, Scotland. Brother Andre ...more

News & Interviews