Start by marking “Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)

Bittersweet

(California Historical Series #2)

Laney McCain has unabashedly had her sights set on Galen O’Sullivan for years. And though Galen has treated her as nothing more than his best friend’s pesky tag-along sister, Laney dare
Published April 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bittersweet, please sign up.
Read Stories yes i think so. on this novel's page if you press "(California Historical Series #2)" under the title it'll take you to the series list. and if you wa…moreyes i think so. on this novel's page if you press "(California Historical Series #2)" under the title it'll take you to the series list. and if you want more similar stories from this author just press her name under the title.(less)

Start your review of Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)
Olivia
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
It's been awhile since I've read this one, but it's stuck with me for some time. I've read the one before it (Letter Perfect) and it is my favorite! But this one was a mixture of terrible, enjoyable, maddening, and just...awful!

I would not recommend this for teens below 18. The one starting revelation toward the end shocked me. While it does happen, I found it slightly disturbing to read about. I very much like Galen's character, but Laney got a bit on my nerves. I actually liked Ivy way better
Amanda Tero
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I was cautioned by a few fellow-readers that book one was better than book two in this series, and I have to admit that I fully agree with them. The plot was just meandering and a lot of ideas were thrown in there without any real rhyme or reason.

Hake did cover the situation with Ivy very, very well. I greatly appreciated her tact in such a tough situation (slight spoiler: Ivy was raped).

Galen was a very real character. Some things were thrown in his life that would have been very tough in real
Margaret Chind
Aug 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Christy
This review is of an ARC version of the book "Bittersweet" of the California Historical Series, book #2 by Cathy Marie Hake. After finishing book #1, "Letter Perfect", I could not help but be intrigued and eager to read the second installation of the lives I had come to care for and love in Folsom and the Broken P.

Receiving this book put me in a bit of a mood, because I ordered it from a swapping website and an ARC copy arrived. A few conversations and corrections later, the sender was extremel
Rachel Lee
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Even though it is a stand alone novel it involves characters from the novel "Letter Perfect". This novel is focused on Josh's sister, Laney who has always had a crush on Galen. So when Galen finally starts paying attention to her, Laney is in absolute heaven. That is until, two strangers walk into Galen's life that will halt all plans for his future with Laney.

This book is an easy read, very engaging and I absolutely couldn't put it down!
Amy
May 30, 2008 rated it did not like it
I actually didn't finish this book. I couldn't get past all the dialog. I think she was trying to capture the old fashion mood with it and it bugged me too much.
Amy
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was disappointed when reading reviews of this book. I just happened across it at the library but had read the previous novel for BookClub and LOVED it! I was so excited to see a sequel about Laney. I was bummed to read less than kind reviews of the book when I got home and was then somewhat less excited to start it...
HOWEVER- I loved the book. I admit I did enjoy the 1st book more but Bittersweet was definately a great book. I nearly cried, it was wonderful.
And made me realize I need to be a l
Heather
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: listen-to
A.M. Heath
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, western
My Review: The story matches the title, and, yet, I couldn't put it down. I will say that I felt like the lead characters lacked chemistry together and this was a hindrance for me. But by the end of the novel, the example of genuine Christian faith, true surrender, and sacrificial love far outweighed anything I thought might have been lacking. I truly believe the Lord was honored here.
Hake is someone I plan to read more from as often as I can.
I give it 4 stars.
Allyson
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
It was as good as the first book! (Letter Perfect)
Student Symmes
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
*SPOILER*

Book Review
Bittersweet by Cathy Mare Hake
Emily Sylvestre

1. What do you think the story was about?

The book was about two neighbouring families, the O’Sullivans and the McCains, who are very close friends. Laney who is the youngest child of the McCains “has her sights set on” Galen O’Sullivan the oldest of the five O’Sullivan sons. But to him Laney is nothing more than his neighbour and his best friend's little sister. She longs for him to notice she has become a women but he fails t
Patricia
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have listened to a lot of Christian fiction this past year or so, primarily because the audio library at my county library seems to me to be very limited in its choices and sometimes I've just "needed" an audio book (going on a trip, doing a project, etc.). I have given most of these books a three-star rating anyway so I am not gaga about the genre in the first place but this book would rank at about 1.5 stars for me. I am rounding up to 2 stars because I did finish the book.

I don't know if I
Misty
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved "Letter Perfect" and when I found out there was a continuation I had to read it. "Bittersweet" was one of those that I just couldn't put down. I had to literally tear myself away from it to get anything done. Even though parts of the story where pretty predictable it still made for a wonderful story. I've found another fictional man to be in love with besides Edward Cullen in the Twilight Saga. Galen O'Sullivan is incredible!! Cathy Marie Hake is now on my list of favorite aut ...more
Pam Carroll
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-fun-fiction
This book was a hard read. However, it has character and so much truth to it. The characters are real, and it shows that true Christin charity ia unpopular and hard, even amongst Christians. Although it ended well, I walked away feeling a lot like the title, bittersweet. I'm rating it lower only because it left me feeling sad and more somber instead of happy, and real life already does that on its own.
Lauren Harrell
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Maggie Boyd
I'm giving this zero starts because it is an F read for me.

Christian theology can be a difficult thing. We have numerous denominations because we interpret and prioritize the teachings of Jesus in different ways. Even seemingly simple issues – such as forgiveness – can be fraught with issues. We can agree that a murderer repenting of his crime is a cause to rejoice however few would argue that such repentance would require that his sentence should then be set aside. Many know that God requires
Deborah
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bittersweet from the California Historical Series follows on from where Letter Perfect ends. The same characters have continued on with their lives, and Laney is still longing for Galen to see her as more than Josh's little sister. Galen goes from seeing Laney as a pesky little girl to a woman he wants to marry. Everything looks to be finally turning out perfectly, but one lie changes their lives forever.

Although a little cheesy in places, and the dialect of some of the characters was overdone,
Amy Sue
Feb 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks-2020
Lynette
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the first part of this book, but I have several issues with the last half. It’s just unrealistic. I cannot imagine a place where people would believe a homeless woman they don’t know over a well respected man that they do know. It just wouldn’t happen, especially in the 1800s, and that didn’t sit well with me. I liked the ending even though it seemed unrealistic also. I didn’t realize I was reading the second book in a series. I wish I had read the first one first, but I feel like I wasn ...more
Mom
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bellevue-library
Julynn
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Ms. Hake's style of writing. Her characters, friendships, faith journeys....but I wasn't prepared for how heart wrenching this one was all through the middle. Lots of relational trauma that I didn't expect but I did appreciate how she wrapped up the story in the end. Excellent lessons on living out our faith.
Loraine
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. I had a hard time with some of the events as they unfolded. But if I say very much, it will give things away. I don't believe in the way some of the things happened, but it's just a different way of viewing faith and God, repentance and redemption. It is a well written book with great characters, and a happy ending.
Bex
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly, Laney was annoying and I kind of hoped Galen really would end up with Ivy. Galen seemed to suffer a change in heart that was too sudden to be believable. He went from thinking of Laney as his friend's annoying kid sister to a woman in a single scene, all because she had a tiny waist (like she'd never had her corset on or cinched before), and then he was all in for getting married.
Paula
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story I didn't want to put down! After years of his best friend's sister having a crush on him, Galen begins to realize Laney isn't a child anymore. The day he chooses to propose to her, he is accused openly of misusing another girl, and is forced to marry her. A very exciting story of love, lies, and learning to forgive. Great story and excellent writing!
Gayle Fontenot
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very emotional read.

I loved Galen and Laney, they both set examples of how Christians should be. This one touches the heart, and is one I won't forget and c.f.will read again. Excellent!
Ppianogirl1963gmail.Com
Wonderful series

Life goes on for Laney and her family in the 2nd book of this series. There is heartbreak, love; weddings and babies.
Margaret Hardie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
It probably deserves more than two stars, but personally found it very annoying. Ugh!
Leah
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading. I had time keep turning every page to find out what happened next.
Molly Springer
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 27, 2014 01:21PM

• A Bride in the Bargain
  • Deep in the Heart of Trouble
  • The Measure of a Lady
  • Who Brings Forth the Wind (Kensington Chronicles, #3)
  • More Than Meets the Eye (Patchwork Family, #1)
  • A Tailor-Made Bride
  • To Win Her Heart
  • Beloved Hope (Heart of the Frontier, #2)
  • Maid to Match
  • Beguiled
  • Full Steam Ahead (Full Steam Ahead, #1)
  • True Devotion (Uncommon Heroes #1)
  • Head in the Clouds
  • No Other Will Do (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #1)
  • Rekindled (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #1)
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • The Heart's Appeal (London Beginnings, #2)
  • The Captain's Daughter (London Beginnings, #1)
As a child, Cathy Marie Hake had an imaginary playmate. Now "grown up," she indulges in a host of imaginary friends as she writes. She teasingly says she decided if those voices in her head were talking, she might as well write down what they said and make a living by doing it. She met her sweetheart in the High School department at church and married him after finishing nursing school. They live ...more

California Historical Series (2 books)
  • Letter Perfect (California Historical, #1)