Start by marking “A Redwall Winter's Tale” as Want to Read:
A Redwall Winter's Tale

A Redwall Winter's Tale

(Redwall)

A troupe of traveling players have promised the Redwallers an evening of entertainment in exchange for a grand feast. Late at night after the festivities have ended, Mighty Bulbrock Badger sends the little ones off to sleep with the tale of the giant Snow Badger who comes on the first night of winter, bringing snow across the land. The grown-up Redwallers chuckle at the ...more
Published October 21st 2004 by Puffin (first published September 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Redwall Winter's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Redwall Winter's Tale

Start your review of A Redwall Winter's Tale
sue
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a few years old now. 2013 maybe?

But I picked this up in a pound store. The cover caught my eye. I only flicked through it quickly because I recognised the cover.
Thought no more of it until I was unpacking my purchases then I sat to look at this more closely.
The illustrations in this edition are awesome.

They say “ a picture tells a thousand words” it’s definitely true in this instance.

I’m glad I picked it up for only 1
X
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Redwallers, though it's a nice story for anyone.
A cute wintery story set at Redwall. While the characters are the same as from Redwall, it would not be required to have read that first. The story stands alone quite well. At first the alternating prose and poetry was odd, but by the end I had gotten used to it and enjoyed the switch back and forth. The illustrations are darling!
Melissa
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An annual Huckabay favorite. Our second read through, but it felt new again because it was the first time a couple kids have truly been engaged in the story. I love that anyone can enjoy this tale without having to have read any other Redwall books.
Evan Hays
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I'm not planning to start reviewing all the books I read to Jackson, but this one was long enough and it really held his attention. I of course adored the Redwall books when I was in late elementary school and middle school, so it was special to me to read this to him in hopes of us reading many more of the full ones together in the future. These books are always fun and charming but always essentially the same, so they probably won't get many five star ratings from me when we eventually get to ...more
Nighteye
Cute child book with a lot of cute pictures/drawings highlighting the story and a nice short story inside. Perfect to read for your kid or with your kid :)
Akirain
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Brian Jacques, so I automatically enjoy anything that has to do with Redwall.
The cover art is beautiful, simple and atmospheric. I still remember how it caught my eye amongst many many other beautifully illustrated covers in the bookshop. One doesn’t have to read the Redwall series to understand the “Winter’s tale”, but knowing the background story certainly adds something special to the experience. The most amazing part of the book for me was the artwork – I had finally glimpsed at how
CuteBadger
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this in Poundland as the cover illustration of a badger caught my eye - you can probably tell from my username that I'm a touch obsessed with badgers!

What a treat this book is - beautiful colour illustrations and a timeless tale of native British animals preparing for winter with a feast and strolling players. The Snow Badger brings the winter weather, but not everyone believes in him, until one lucky little mole gets a big surprise.

I'd never heard of the Redwall books before, but you
Mackenzie Hunter
This is a precious book that will appeal to lifelong fans of Brian Jacques' Redwall series as well as those who are just discovering it. bedtime The mix of prose and poetry works well together, and the illustrations are marvelous. It's a great story to read at bedtime to make you feel all comfy and cozy and ready for sleep.
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
This children's book follows the excellent The Great Redwall Feast, but it fails to meet the standard set by the earlier work. It has much of the same bucolic charm, portrays the same joy of life in Redwall Abbey, and introduces a memorable winter spirit in the Snow Badger. Where it fails is the frequent shifting between prose and verse, with no discernible pattern. The Great Redwall Feast was composed of rhyming verse from start to finish and was a poetic achievement; this feels almost like ...more
Fiona Sinclair
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Robin
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This tale is lovely! Beautiful illustrations accompany the whimsical story of a Redwall celebration complete with entertainers and the inevitable feast. As a read-aloud story, you might consider breaking it up into sections for more active children to enjoy. But do give it a try. It's worth the time it takes to read through the story. It could also be an excellent teaching tool for a section on riddles or holidays. I've been reading this one to my kids a long time. I believe my youngest was a ...more
Jessica
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the first book in a long time that Greg and I had the chance to read together. Early November was beginning to feel like winter well before the snow fell a few weeks later, and we enjoyed snuggling up on the couch and reading this magical, wintery tale aloud together. Greg grew up reading Redwall stories and *claims* he knows the voices very well. This story does not rely too heavily on the rest of Redwall's lore, and is recommended for anyone looking for a cozy, bucolic read for an ...more
MysterySeeker
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-books
the illustrations were incredible, and I got to say Brian Jacques is one of my favorite authors!!!
Jonny Parshall
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"A charming read perfect for this time of year."
Joseph Leskey
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: oh, anybody, maybe, though probably not
Shelves: reviewed, humor, fiction
This was good. I wasn't sure if it was rhyming or simply being a work of prose, but I enjoyed it whichever which way.
Martha
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-kiddos
A solid children's book with great illustrations about the changing of the seasons. All the cute stuff of Redwall without the gruesome medieval violence. Good for elementary-school aged children who will be willing to sit through the length of the story.

Art: 4
Story: 3.5
Tyler
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Brian Jacques. This is a delightful long poem of the final day of autumn and the first day of winter. Jacques does such a great job with his characterization. Each one of his animals is drawn with loving care, infusing his world with a life that I just want to sink into. I think that the short form is his true calling, as Redwall was just a bit too long. Still, his characters were as memorable in the first book as they are now.

If you like this, read The Great Redwall Feast.
Jace Morgan
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was young, and a few months ago I found it again at a used bookstore. Immediately I bought it, remembering the fondness I'd had for it, and all of the Redwall books. As I read it, enjoying the beautiful illustrations and the comforting prose, it as as though I had been transformed into a child again - nothing but wonder and excitement ahead. In the end I gave the book to my friend's child, a little girl who enjoyed reading just as much as I did when I was her age. I think ...more
☺Trish
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A truly delightful story by Brian Jacques, enchantingly enhanced by Christopher Denise's beautiful illustrations. I especially enjoyed the rhyming verse scattered throughout A Redwall Winter's Tale.
One Autumn night (actually, Autumn's final night) in Redwall Abbey, after enjoying an exciting evening of entertainment performed by the Traveling Thistledown Troupe and devouring a grand feast, Mighty Bulbrock Badger tells the Abbey's little children a bedtime story about the legend of the Snow
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
Logan was too high-energy to look too carefully at the pretty illustrations. He might have liked it more if he had. It felt awkward to go back and forth between prose and rhyme. I was careful to read the rhymes in a non-rhythmic voice because these kind of super-rhymie poetry bores him. He did like the idea of the Badger bringing winter and the snow starting out as white hares and turns into flakes. Apparently, this introduces the themes of Redwall, although we haven't read those books yet.
Piepie
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a magical, sweet story from within Redwall! The illustrations by Christopher Denise are just beautiful, and the stories and rhyming lines are superb. Of course, the descriptions of the banquets are just as mouth-watering as they are in the longer novels themselves. This is the perfect addition to any Redwall fan's collection, young and old :)
Honya
A Redwall Winter’s Tale is classic Brian Jacques, but boiled down to suit a younger audience. You can feel his love of children throughout the story. The tale and characters are warm, simple, and inviting. Moreover, Christopher Denise’s art is a beautiful complement to the writing style. Altogether, this is a delightful picture book for both children and older readers.
MissInformation
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Not religious, just a celebration of winter. A charming intro to Redwall, with lots of illustration and a warm and fuzzy story suitable for younger readers than the Redwall series. Among other events, little animals are told the myth of the Snow Badger to put them to sleep, but one little guy waits up to see if he might be real.... Belief is rewarded.
Julie
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
It's been years since I read any Redwall, and this sort of made me want to pick one up again. This book might be a good intro to determine if someone wanted to try a full novel, considering it has most of the main elements: feasts, extensive and varied animal dialects, and a bit of a folklore element.
Julianna
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have been looking for more chapter book style stories to read to my 2 year old, and this had the perfect balance of text and picture to hold her attention and mine. Plus, I was excited to introduce her to characters that I spent so much time with when I was a child. The illustrations were lovely and the story was simple and sweet.
Stephanie  Harchar
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved it and I plan on reading it again once the seasons change. It remainded me of Tolkien on a small level and Narnia on another. But the artwork is aaaaaamazing. Christopher Denise is a great illustrator.
Joshua7d
Mar 06, 2008 marked it as to-read
I learn how hard it is to live in the cold it's harder than living in the hot weather because most animals live in the hot weather so it's hard to get food. so i learn it's hard to live in the winter.
Meredith Henning
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This one is delightful!!
Beckyt
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet story with gorgeous illustrations.
Susie Steadman
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an adorable book for young readers.

• Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
  • Tortall: A Spy's Guide
  • The Kane Chronicles Survival Guide
  • Redwall The Graphic Novel
  • Museum of Thieves (The Keepers, #1)
  • Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)
  • The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Freaks
  • Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Boxed Set (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1-3)
  • Raiders' Ransom
  • An Elk Dropped In
  • Beautiful Blue World (Beautiful Blue World #1)
  • For Magnus Chase: Hotel Valhalla, Guide to the Norse Worlds
  • In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse
  • The Little Gentleman
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
  • The Icecutter's Daughter (Land of Shining Water, #1)
  • She Reads Truth Bible
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St.

Redwall (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)