Start by marking “Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process” as Want to Read:
Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process

Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process

In this personal, inspiring guide to a creative life, Wooldridge shares her own journey of the heart�from loss and grief to a return to wholeness and joy. Offering poetry exercises, journal writing, and other practices to encourage creative play�including foraging and assembling collages with found objects�Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Cre ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Foolsgold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foolsgold

Chris
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This was good (it's bristling with post-it flags), but not as good as Poemcrazy. It does tackle tough subjects, such loss, grieving, and feeling stuck.
Andrea
First time read-September 2012- This is a five star book because it resonates with every fiber of my being. I am so fortunate to have found this book on the shelves of my local library. Foolsgold is a monumental book for me as a writer, a creator and a person. "The under-song lives in us at any age."p.163

"Although it won't make the news the under-song is brimming with an upwelling of soul and spirit just below the surface, tumbling out alive in our children and elders, hidden in everyone." p.1
Michael Wilson
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to reading this, since one of her other books, poemcrazy, is one of my all time favorites. I wanted to see what Wooldridge's take on creativity would be and if it could help me with the book I am working on.

It disappointed me and didn't deliver. The sub-title, "Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process" is somewhat deceiving. It spends plenty of time discussing her creative ideas, but not very much about her creative process. I also think this w
Yaaresse
When I finished A Book of One's Own: People and their Diaries, I wanted to read something diary-ish. I picked up The Red Leather Diary and was disappointed. THIS is the book I should have picked up first. The difference between the two is the difference between self-absorbed and self-supportive.

I realize most people read this as a creativity how-to book. That was the intent of the author, and it does contain the now-obligatory "tips and prompts" at the end of the very short chapters. Frankly, I
Billie
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book as much as I did Poemcrazy.
al
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those interested in reading about how a woman remained creative during a time of loss.
Shelves: own
out of nearly 50 chapters meant to free the creative process, there were maybe a dozen i found useful or, at the very least, interesting to read. as many times as i've gone back to poemcrazy, wooldridge's other book, and found inspiration and suggestions i needed on dry or dreary days, i was sure foolsgold would be another essential member of my bookshelf. unfortunately, on the whole, it's left me very disappointed. this is not to say i won't read another of wooldridge's books or even that i wil ...more
LemontreeLime
It's nice, one of those books I bought when it came out and wanted to like... but then it sat on a shelf unread for eight years. I picked it up again and decided it's time to gift it to another reader. I wasn't the right audience, however i did like the chapter on making collage boxes, it was a short instruction and also an off the cuff retelling of a story, which i appreciated more than some huge long books of how-tos.
Relyn
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: not sure I would recommend it to anyone
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted in a magazine
The idea behind this book is great, but in practice it's pretty repetitive and it drags a bit. Susan Wooldridge definitely knows how to string words into a beautiful necklace. I really enjoyed her poems and will definitely be looking for her poetry books. But, this book got a bit dull. It seemed an ode to her journal. Not for me unfortunately.
Martha
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book spoke to me. The words soared off the page.Inspiration and motivation were abundant. The author expertly explains the process of poetry , the practice of poetry and how it can make an impact on writers. I loved this second book by Ms Woolridge even more than the first...a must read for every poet or instructor of the craft.
Alexis
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This ended up being a book that looked at both creativity and grief. It consisted of short essays. I expected more of an artist's manual, with exercises. I enjoyed the quotes at the beginning and end of each chapter. This book didn't resonate with me that much. I felt compelled to read it, but I think I've read a lot of books with similar themes.
Esther
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is great. But, I kept comparing it to Poemcrazy so that's the reason why I gave it 3 stars. It does have nuggets of wisdom and advice on creativity and poetry and writing. There are some dull and sad chapters in the book...so I had to skim through those.
Satia
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: inspiration, memoir
Yet another mediocre response. I promise there is a positive review coming. I am not always so disappointed by what I read. For a more thorough review, follow the link below.

Drew
Sep 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Susan Wooldridge's first book, Poemcrazy, is my favorite book of creative inspiration. Foolsgold, however, is a big disappointment. It has none of the wonder and magic of her first book, and is instead repetitive and dull. I highly recommend PoemCrazy. I do not recommend Foolsgold.
Ginia
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book made me think differently about my creativity and how I can share it better through art, or writing, or anything. Also read Poemcrazy if you want to see words in a whole new way.
Kathryn Dechairo
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nuggets of inspiration between the pages of this book but, like many other reviewers here, I found her other book Poemcrazy had more to offer.
M.A.
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
A little too whimsical at times.
Bonita Rose
highy recommended by my friend Kari, www.artsymama.blogspot.com this look like one excellent book!
Cathy Lentes
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Second reading. I like the beginning chapters best.
Clarity Jackson
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a touching and inspiring and lively look at writing, loss and turning life into a beautiful fuel for words.
Nessa McCasey
Great book! Lots of inspiration and also I enjoyed the biographical aspect of this book, too.
Shima