Start by marking “Courage” as Want to Read:
Courage

Courage

What is courage? Certainly it takes courage for a firefighter to rescue someone trapped in a burning building, but there are many other kinds of courage too. Everyday kinds that normal, ordinary people exhibit all the time, like “being the first to make up after an argument,” or “going to bed without a nightlight.” Bernard Waber explores the many varied kinds of courage an ...more
Published October 28th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 30th 2002)

Linda
This could be a good book to start conversations about courage and what that means to each one in a classroom, including the teacher. Speaking from different viewpoints, human and animal, Waber's story is a succession of kinds of courage, some in the mind, some physical, and some in the heart. The illustrations are cartoon-like, small pictures by each sentence. For instance, there is a couple of boys, with one tapping the shoulder of another. The caption is "Courage is being the first to make up ...more
Rita Shaffer
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great message for all!
Shelley
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
The book's concept is to show different kinds of courage. The problem is that many of the examples do not demonstrate courage at all.

For instance, according to the author, courage is: "remembering a silly joke and trying not to giggle", "deliberately stepping on sidewalk cracks", "arriving too early at a birthday party", "deciding to get your hair cut", "having two candy bars and saving one for tomorrow", "a scenic car trip and being stuck in the middle seat"... There's even a dog allegedly hav
Michele
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book gives simple examples of courage that is inspirational for children, somewhat like Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons. It has a bit of humor as well, as the author even gives examples of a dog's courage.
Beth
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book to pair with Deborah Underwood's THE QUIET BOOK and THE LOUD BOOK as this book starts exactly the same way as those two books with "There are many kinds of courage."

I thought this book did get a little tedious after a while. It probably could have been 5 pages shorter.
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
The premise of this book sounds better than the execution of it. Or maybe I have just tired of the purposefully inspirational genre.
Ryan Reitz
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Author: Waber, B. (2002). Courage. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.

Category: Early concept informational book

This easy-to-read informational book introduces the idea of courage to its readers. What is courage? Are there different types of courage? Waber believes that there is as he describes courage through various examples. These include diving off of a diving board, making up in an argument, going to sleep in the dark and standing up for your siblings. The author will have readers feeling cou
Jasmin Dunston
“Courage” is a book that teaches children all about what it means to be courageous. It covers small feats, like sleeping without a night light, to the large, personal feats like holding on to your dreams. The author uses various types of characters to inform their audience; such as dogs, people, and plants. I really enjoyed this book because all the examples of courage that were used were relatable to the target audience. The illustrator appears to have created the pictures using ink and waterco ...more
Debbie Hoskins
My friend, a children's book illustrator, gave me this book at the rosary service for my husband.
She said she loved the book. I still have it in the living room because I like the cover and it's comforting.
I've read the book several times. It's a well done picture book, by the author and illustrator of Lyle the Crocodile. It wasn't until 2 weeks after my husband died that somebody told me that grieving takes courage. I had to have somebody to tell me this in order to realize what a perfect book
Suzanne Kunz Williams
We all need a little more courage in our lives. This book beautifully illustrates the different facets of courage.

**Talking points - which situations in this book would be hard for you? What situations in your life used to be hard and take great courage to do, but now you love doing? Who has encouraged you when you needed courage to do something? Do you think of yourself as a brave person, why or why not? Who do you think are some of the most courageous people out there?
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I love books that talk about big issues for kids. I had purchased this book for my kids yoga classes and had hoped it would explain courage better. All the examples the author offers were helpful, but I found it was a little too vague for young kids. I had to do a fair amount of explaining. Glad I have it, but feel it’s a tiny bit lacking.
Anna Sanders
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddie-lit
This book address the question what courage is. It says the courage can be a simple as going bed without a light, or a big as a fireman saving someone's life. Throughout the day we can show big and small acts of courage.

I thought this book was alright. It wasn’t my favorite book, but it had a good message behind it.

I would use this in a classroom to encourage the kids to have courage. To describe there is all different ways to have courage.
Amy Balaich
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picture book - cute message that courage comes in many shapes and sizes (even something as simple as getting out of bed!). Would be fun to have students do a writing activity where they could come up with their own "Courage is..." sentence and illustrate it.
Villain E
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I didn't like this book and it took me a minute to figure out why. Besides being a really, really long list; I think courage is overcoming fear. None of these examples, except for the one on the cover, illustrate that trepidation, it's only implied. I don't like 'implied' in my kids books.
Sarah Cole
This title is an informational, early concept book about courage. Full of colorful and animated illustrations, this book perfectly defines what courage really is. Perfect for the youngest of learners.
Kalynda
This is a great addition to a growth mindset collection. There are all types of courage in action, not just the big types of courage that grab our attention, but even the smallest, daily acts, especially overtime, or even in the moment, are both ripples for ourself and others.
Natalie Wilkinson
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I love how this book takes a more abstract concept and feeling and puts it into a context that anyone can relate to.
Antoinette Scully
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
What’s is courage? How do you show it? This books is a good way to start a conversation, but know that some examples aren’t as courageous as others.
Paula
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute book with “bite size” life lessons for young kids.
Olivia Slykhuis
This book is SO lovely. It's funny and cute, and talks about all different kinds of courage. I just love it. Would definitely use for a brave/shy storytime. Could inspire some good conversations. 4+
Kylie Matusiewicz
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book shows children that something as simple as sleeping with no nightlight on is courageous. The act of courage seems so unattainable as a child and having this book describe that anything can be seen as courageous levels the playing field between communities. At the end of the day, it is not about what a person has, such as monetary value, it is about the heart and generosity that a person shows. How this book is written it can be for anyone and any demographic. I highly recommend reading ...more
L Sue
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Children's book on types of activities requiring courage...which is everything, and teaching how to step outside of one's box, or comfort zone!!
Kim
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not sure I agree with all of the author's opinions of courage.
Kim Pocock
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute children’s book detailing many different scenarios that take courage, including some you wouldn’t expect.
Grace DeBaltzo
Super cute book that gives real examples of what courage is.
Rachel
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute introduction to many forms of courage; good way to show children courage is often in the everyday actions toward growth, generosity, forgiveness, etc and not simply the obvious heroic acts we usually think of . . . those are included, too.
Maddie Petersen
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a really uplifting book. It talks about the courage that we have in this life, and I think that it can show kids all the things that take courage, and the courage that they have.
Courage is the big things and the small things. A must have for the classroom.
Kelly
A book about different ways people exhibit courage. Written nicely for a child.
Shauna
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This board book has many examples of courage. Simple illustrations. It’s probably my for older children who can understand the concept.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Curious George Curious You: On Your Way!
  • There
  • Only One You
  • What You Know First
  • What Does It Mean To Be Present?
  • The OK Book
  • The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book about Manners
  • The Junkyard Wonders
  • Author: A True Story
  • Malala, a Brave Girl from Pakistan/Iqbal, a Brave Boy from Pakistan: Two Stories of Bravery
  • It's Okay to Make Mistakes
  • The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes
  • What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger
Bernard Waber was the youngest in a creative family. At age 8, he ushered in a movie theater after school, so he often saw only the last ten minutes of a movie. He made a game of inventing beginnings and middles. When he returned from a tour of duty in World War II, he entered the Philadelphia College of Art. With a diploma and a new wife, he traveled to New York City, where he began working for t ...more